Trying to understand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNresident

This Kate is gorgeous!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in SP. Currently, I am a radiographer. I dont like some aspect of my current job as a radiographer...I want more autonomy, there are 6ish-10ish other techs I must interact with on a minute-to-minute basis in the department (I dont want to deal with co-workers almost constantly...i am a social introvert), and I dont like how every situation can vary so much from pt to pt (i am a slower methodical thinker that likes things planned out...i am not a fast problem solver).

my question is regarding the "general" autonomy of a SP b/c that is the most important aspect of a job I want now...I want to know the level/amount of autonomy of SPs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really depends on the setting. In a large hospital, there is typically a team of SLPs with different specialties (swallowing, voice, adult inpatient, peds inpatient, adult rehab, and a host of outpatient specialties). In a small hospital it's possible to be the only SLP, so there's autonomy in that respect, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't lots of coworkers you need to interact with (docs, nurses, CNAs, PTs, OTs, psych) as a major part of patient care. SLPs usually see their patients 1:1, but it's also not uncommon to see the patient with a PT or OT. While any personality type works for an SLP, a major part of what we do involves communication! There's a LOT of talking required since we primarily see patients for communication impairments, though we can specialize in swallowing disorders. There's a lot of family education involved and a lot of team work with other professionals. There's a lot of problem solving involved, especially in assessment and diagnosing. It's a great field, but definitely not the kind of job that allows for peace and quiet, nor one that involves repetitive tasks since every patient is different!

Look, there is much more of that then you think... Perhaps you should investigate that matter my yourself... Complicated, as it is, in general, you coulde make some good, and probablly few bad choices...