Trying to move forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad_resident

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I need help writing a personal statement.

I was kicked out of a residency program (no professionalism issues). The residency program was a prestigious one. Afterwards, I tried to leverage into a similar-caliber residency in the same specialty (or at least a high-tier university program, if not top 10), but was unsuccessful. At that point I decided that it was more worthwhile to leverage into an uncompetitive specialty (I had some medical school experience with this specialty, and knew it was something I could do well), if only that it allowed me to continue to be in a prime U.S. location at a great hospital, and was successful. My performance has been great at this new place, as I am somewhat seen as an exceptional resident.

Now I am about to apply to the most competitive fellowship in this uncompetitive specialty. While I always had writer's block every time I had to apply to something, this time it has been especially bad, since I have this history that I am not comfortable sharing. I understand that personal statements are better when they talk about pivotal experiences and what you learned (and this would probably be among the top pivotal experiences I have ever had) - but is it best not to talk about a failure in a personal statement?

I want to build my career to where I have leveraging power to where it was, or higher, than before I got kicked out of residency. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
so did you go from a surgical specialty to Internal Medicine? applying to cards?

I assume that they will be receiving documentation of some kind that you were in a residency that you did not finish, no? You said you weren't comfortable sharing that but wouldn't your transcript/educational record/something official share that anyway? It's probably in some of the fine print that if you don't disclose and they find it out later (which would be impossible to hide for all fellowship) they could probably let you go. So then the question isnt whether or not to disclose, the question is how to make it seem less bad that you didn't finish a training program, but yet here you are applying to another training program. The way to do that is 1. carefully and 2. through the personal statement. The typical "this is why" "this is what I learned" "this is why i'm better now" advice applies

I know nothing - at all - of the OP. I'm guessing they went into FM, and are now applying for Sports Medicine. Of course, on par for SDN, I don't think the OP could be any more vague, without simply posting "."

At the same time, if the OP is so superior, it's unlikely it was academic failure. Then, what is left that is NOT "professionalism"?

In the words of John, "Got to be good lookin'/'Cause he's so hard to see".

Reactions: 4 users
You keep using the word leverage in ways that makes me think you aren't always using it accurately

Why did you get kicked out?

Reactions: 6 users
lev·er·age
ˈlev(ə)rij,ˈlēv(ə)rij/
noun
noun: leverage
  1. 1.
    the exertion of force by means of a lever or an object used in the manner of a lever.
    "my spade hit something solid that wouldn't respond to leverage"
    synonyms: grip, purchase, hold; More
    support, anchorage, force, strength
    "the long handles provide increased leverage"
    • mechanical advantage gained by using leverage.
      "use a metal bar to increase the leverage"
    • the power to influence a person or situation to achieve a particular outcome.
      "the right wing had lost much of its political leverage in the Assembly"
      synonyms: influence, power, authority, weight, sway, pull, control, say, dominance, advantage, pressure; More
      informalclout, muscle, teeth, bargaining chip
      "the union's leverage at the bargaining table"
  2. 2.
    Finance
    the ratio of a company's loan capital (debt) to the value of its common stock (equity).
    • the use of credit or borrowed capital to increase the earning potential of stock.
verb
verb: leverage; 3rd person present: leverages; past tense: leveraged; past participle: leveraged; gerund or present participle: leveraging
  1. 1.
    use borrowed capital for (an investment), expecting the profits made to be greater than the interest payable.
    "a leveraged takeover bid"
  2. 2.
    use (something) to maximum advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
You keep using the word leverage in ways that makes me think you aren't always using it accurately

Why did you get kicked out?
Princess_Bride_That_Word.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
If it's a procedural fellowship from a non procedural residency, we will want to know that you didn't fail out of a surgical or procedural residency for motor skill issues (it's not professionalism so...)

I was kicked out of a residency program (no professionalism issues). The residency program was a prestigious one. Afterwards, I tried to leverage into a similar-caliber residency in the same specialty (or at least a high-tier university program, if not top 10), but was unsuccessful. At that point I decided that it was more worthwhile to leverage into an uncompetitive specialty (I had some medical school experience with this specialty, and knew it was something I could do well), if only that it allowed me to continue to be in a prime U.S. location at a great hospital, and was successful. My performance has been great at this new place, as I am somewhat seen as an exceptional resident.

Now I am about to apply to the most competitive fellowship in this uncompetitive specialty. While I always had writer's block every time I had to apply to something, this time it has been especially bad, since I have this history that I am not comfortable sharing. I understand that personal statements are better when they talk about pivotal experiences and what you learned (and this would probably be among the top pivotal experiences I have ever had) - but is it best not to talk about a failure in a personal statement?

I want to build my career to where I have leveraging power to where it was, or higher, than before I got kicked out of residency. Is this possible?

You used leveraged three times in your post and each time was awkward and terrible.

Have someone proofread whatever you write. Pay them if needed.

You'll have to deal with the uncomfortable subject. They'll want a CV and it'll end up being listed there. Might as well control the narrative.

You can then leverage your application into an interview and leverage that into a fellowship position. You can leverage that into a great job.

I know nothing - at all - of the OP. I'm guessing they went into FM, and are now applying for Sports Medicine. Of course, on par for SDN, I don't think the OP could be any more vague, without simply posting "."

At the same time, if the OP is so superior, it's unlikely it was academic failure. Then, what is left that is NOT "professionalism"?

In the words of John, "Got to be good lookin'/'Cause he's so hard to see".

There is always that "systems based practice" competency parameter that seems to derail so many careers...

The ERAS application is very clear with questions related to unfinished residencies and restrictions of clinical privileges.

My opinion is you have to address the issue straight forward and own up to what happened.

Dont try to hide anything because you never know if someone at fellowship is friends with someone at original residency.

If the programs feel you are being untruthful or hiding something, they will not interview or rank you depending on when they find out.

The personal statement is like up to 25k words so plenty of time to explain what happened, what you could have done different and how it made you a better doctor.

I had some issues in medical school and honesty was the way i dealt with it and every residency appreciated that.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Gotta love these SDN advice-request threads. "I may or may not have... uh... not completed the residency I originally matched into, at a vague, unspecified time in the past, for reasons. I then, at another unspecified time, may or may not have switched into a different field. If this were to, say, theoretically happen to my friend Jim, please provide the precise probability, to 4 significant digits, of him matching into a fellowship in his desired subspecialty." Only to come back the next day to find the entire OP replaced with "."

Reactions: 11 users
You used leveraged three times in your post and each time was awkward and terrible.

Have someone proofread whatever you write. Pay them if needed.

You'll have to deal with the uncomfortable subject. They'll want a CV and it'll end up being listed there. Might as well control the narrative.

You can then leverage your application into an interview and leverage that into a fellowship position. You can leverage that into a great job.
You're leveraging incorrectly. As you can tell, leverage is not only not a noun, it's an intransitive verb. It doesn't take an object. You don't leverage anything in particular, you just leverage. What he needs to do is leverage into an interview and then from there leverage into a fellowship position. He can then leverage into a great job.

OP, if you were a surgery resident, got into radiology and got back into IR, I would recommend you to get comfortable with the idea of leaving a popular area or a top residency. Top IR programs are considerably more competitive than top radiology residency.

If you learn absolutely nothing else during medical training, then please learn that lying about something like this, especially a past failure, is a really really really bad idea. You will be found out and your application will be discarded.

lev·er·age
ˈlev(ə)rij,ˈlēv(ə)rij/
noun
noun: leverage
  1. 1.
    the exertion of force by means of a lever or an object used in the manner of a lever.
    "my spade hit something solid that wouldn't respond to leverage"
    synonyms: grip, purchase, hold; More
    support, anchorage, force, strength
    "the long handles provide increased leverage"
    • mechanical advantage gained by using leverage.
      "use a metal bar to increase the leverage"
    • the power to influence a person or situation to achieve a particular outcome.
      "the right wing had lost much of its political leverage in the Assembly"
      synonyms: influence, power, authority, weight, sway, pull, control, say, dominance, advantage, pressure; More
      informalclout, muscle, teeth, bargaining chip
      "the union's leverage at the bargaining table"
  2. 2.
    Finance
    the ratio of a company's loan capital (debt) to the value of its common stock (equity).
    • the use of credit or borrowed capital to increase the earning potential of stock.
verb
verb: leverage; 3rd person present: leverages; past tense: leveraged; past participle: leveraged; gerund or present participle: leveraging
  1. 1.
    use borrowed capital for (an investment), expecting the profits made to be greater than the interest payable.
    "a leveraged takeover bid"
  2. 2.
    use (something) to maximum advantage.
Did the example used in the first definition of leverage as a verb use it as an adjective?

lol guys come on.

on another note. such a convoluted way of saying not much.
it really depends on what happened right?

Reactions: 1 users
I was kicked out after not being able to complete progress notes in a timely manner. People complained that my progress notes sucked at first, so I improved on them, and they thought I wrote great notes. In general, paperwork does not bring out the best in me - it makes me not very enthusiastic about my work, and I actually am slower at paperwork than most people (no ******ation/dyslexia/learning disability on my part, it really just sucks the life out of me). Ultimately the amount of paperwork made the residency unsustainable for me, as I was writing notes until 11 pm. I was then diagnosed with ADHD by this psychiatrist I was forced to see - I contested the diagnosis and asked for neuropsychiatric testing to put the whole thing to rest, but s/he did not think it would be useful, so did not recommend it. Ultimately after I left the residency program I pursued neuropsychiatric testing myself to look for a working memory deficit, but I actually had a 130+ IQ, very high processing speed, and above average working memory (ruling out ADHD). I ultimately ended up in a field where they like the paperwork short and sweet, so it was no longer a problem. I would like to be a leader in the field I am pursuing fellowship in, so I need to be in a top-notch program to kick start that. Do you think if I sold the story like this people would like that (minus the top-notch program requirement).

I was kicked out after not being able to complete progress notes in a timely manner. People complained that my progress notes sucked at first, so I improved on them, and they thought I wrote great notes. In general, paperwork does not bring out the best in me - it makes me not very enthusiastic about my work, and I actually am slower at paperwork than most people (no ******ation/dyslexia/learning disability on my part, it really just sucks the life out of me). Ultimately the amount of paperwork made the residency unsustainable for me, as I was writing notes until 11 pm. I was then diagnosed with ADHD by this psychiatrist I was forced to see - I contested the diagnosis and asked for neuropsychiatric testing to put the whole thing to rest, but s/he did not think it would be useful, so did not recommend it. Ultimately after I left the residency program I pursued neuropsychiatric testing myself to look for a working memory deficit, but I actually had a 130+ IQ, very high processing speed, and above average working memory (ruling out ADHD). I ultimately ended up in a field where they like the paperwork short and sweet, so it was no longer a problem. I would like to be a leader in the field I am pursuing fellowship in, so I need to be in a top-notch program to kick start that. Do you think if I sold the story like this people would like that (minus the top-notch program requirement).

Paperwork blows.

I don't say this to be mean, and in fact, I basically had the same problems with paperwork that you describe, but there's a way that you talk about this that just rubs me sooooo wrong, it sounds worse than defensive, really, it's almost entitled

"paperwork does not bring out the best in me" - as though it's paperwork's fault, and not your own
"made the residency unsustainable for me" - when in reality, YOU couldn't sustain the residency
"was forced to see"
"went into a field where they liked"

You're using a passive voice (grammatically speaking) when using the active voice would make you sound like you are taking ownership of what happened, instead the way you talk identifies your locus of control as external

I can understand your resentment of feeling strong-armed into medical care, at the same time, I sorta think a resident that was truly committed to their program wouldn't have to be asked to see a psychiatrist, they would seek that out on their own in search of anything that could help their deficiencies. Inability to sustain the expected work pace could reasonably be attributable to a number of mental health conditions for which psychiatric assessment could be very reasonable

You also could have just told us that you went for neuropsych testing and were found not to have ADHD without trying to assert what a genius you are to us, in this case you sought out care, but I suspect this didn't have as much to do with identifying your deficiencies as it did trying to prove one didn't exist. Possibly you are just being defensive in your detail to us, in any case it's definitely related to your ego

It's also not very ingratiating to imply that your difficulty with paperwork, far from just being a function of innate ability or some other thing, was mostly due to its effects on your "enthusiasm"

After telling us how your previous failure was due to the nature of the specialty and the fact that you just didn't like the paperwork, you then tell us how, far from being "hat in hand" that you can just end up in the career that you are suited for (not just suits you) that you enjoy, you would like to be a "leader" in this field, and going off your tone here, in the absence of any other reasons, just seems in keeping with a tone of entitlement

TLDR:
No, for the reasons I stated, this is not the way to "sell the story" to another program. You show almost zero ownership of any deficiencies, come off resentful, passive, entitled, bored, resistant to feedback, defensive, egotistical.

Usually I'm on the side of the resident that suffered in training, but what you say here is just such a turn off, and if you're trying to get more training, me sugarcoating that isn't doing you favors. I apologize for being so harsh, but you need to wake up and smell the humility.

Reactions: 12 users
yeah. unfortunately in residency you are at the mercy of your leadership.
sometimes it even more complicated that the leadership has different preferences and you need to attend to each one.

well. i have no idea. i just wish you all the best. this seems like a very odd point to remove someone from a program. speed of documentation... which culminated in a psychiatric evaluation. that just sounds absurd. but more absurd things have happened in medicine.

i can just imagine all the people at dmv being sent to see a psychiatrist... hmmm
heck, they probably would just leave the paperwork for the next morning once the clock strikes 3pm.

You get that's an insensitive thing to say?

Actually not really sure how to sell the story anyways without making it seem like I have some kind of incorrigible deficit:

1. I can say that I got kicked out b/c I was slow - would that make people want to give me a chance? Does slowness improve with time/experience? Maybe I got kicked out b/c I needed experience, and I was just not part of the previous program for long enough to realize the benefits of experience? - Does not sound like a less arrogant way to put it?
2. I can say that I got kicked out b/c I was tired/lazy (at some point you can't distinguish between the two - I was tired but I wrote notes/saw patients and interacted w/ colleagues in good faith, which made me more tired/lazy) - still programs would not want to hire someone like that.
3. I can go with the psychiatrist's ADHD diagnosis - but that is an incorrigible issue that affects all aspects of a person's life (really don't think people want to hire someone like that, even though people really can't help having this disease, unless it is to do spontaneous things like art/acting) (btw the psychiatrist was not just supposed to assess for ADHD, but anything that could be causing distress - but really nothing else came out - except that maybe I subconsciously was resisting tasks b/c there were aspects I did not like about the residency - I mean yeah I just said I hate paperwork - but selling the story like this is arrogant

???

Don't you have to publish papers and write grants to be a leader in a field? Generally, pure clinicians are not considered leaders of a field (although there are exceptions to this).

How's that going to work out?

Don't you have to publish papers and write grants to be a leader in a field? Generally, pure clinicians are not considered leaders of a field (although there are exceptions to this).

How's that going to work out?

I think we may be trolled here - asserting that ADHD is otherwise a disability in the workplace except for artists? JAMA or NEJM citation, please

ha - there, the OP has a new topic for publication

Actually not really sure how to sell the story anyways without making it seem like I have some kind of incorrigible deficit:

1. I can say that I got kicked out b/c I was slow - would that make people want to give me a chance? Does slowness improve with time/experience? Maybe I got kicked out b/c I needed experience, and I was just not part of the previous program for long enough to realize the benefits of experience? - Does not sound like a less arrogant way to put it?
2. I can say that I got kicked out b/c I was tired/lazy (at some point you can't distinguish between the two - I was tired but I wrote notes/saw patients and interacted w/ colleagues in good faith, which made me more tired/lazy) - still programs would not want to hire someone like that.
3. I can go with the psychiatrist's ADHD diagnosis - but that is an incorrigible issue that affects all aspects of a person's life (really don't think people want to hire someone like that, even though people really can't help having this disease, unless it is to do spontaneous things like art/acting) (btw the psychiatrist was not just supposed to assess for ADHD, but anything that could be causing distress - but really nothing else came out - except that maybe I subconsciously was resisting tasks b/c there were aspects I did not like about the residency - I mean yeah I just said I hate paperwork - but selling the story like this is arrogant

???

it does happen that sometimes a resident is let go because they are not growing at a pace that allows them to continue in a program, especially if they are in a specialty for which they aren't suited

time, change of scenery, introspection, can sometimes lead to a better outcome

it would be better to identify that you were not suited for the specialty for x, y, z reasons, that you had issues with work pace for blank reasons, you tried blank ways to address this, and ultimately you went into insert specialty as result. There you continued to work on blank problems, were able to grow as a physician, and as result of all of this you have not only learned how to perform as blank type of doctor, but just as importantly how to adapt and work on your weaknesses.

of course, none of this will hang quite right if it's not true, if you don't actually successfully introspect, identify your weaknesses, and identify concrete ways that you have adapted and grown

I agree, you need to come up with something better than "tired/lazy"

Reactions: 5 users

???

Why not just tell the truth? I never interviewed for fellowship, but when I interviewed for residency I felt like most PD's that I met came off as pretty socially intelligent people. If you give an ingenuine response, I feel like they would be able to pick up on it.

And btw, I would never call ADHD an "incorrigible" issue bc that makes it sound like there is something wrong with having ADHD.

Reactions: 4 users
1) go back over negative evals, and without questioning their validity, ask yourself what concrete steps you could/are currently taking that avoids or solves the issues raised, or would prevent someone else from coming to the same conclusion

2) then ask yourself what of those negative items could be rephrased/pitched to a potential employer without sounding unemployable

3) your answers to 1) can be constructed into your narrative of self-improvement even if you don't mention all the problems that prompted them

This one and done poster last logged in on Monday. I am confident s/he read this thread, and is never coming back.
Well, I'll eat my words, medium rare, with a good lager.

As for the vague person above said that "I'm pretty sure we all know why you got kicked out" - I guess we all didn't! What were you thinking?

What is insensitive about his word choice and the way it is used?

When did you become such a stickler for semantics?

Also, I get really confused when there aren't memes associated with your posts, so this may be why it takes me longer than usual to reply to you.

???

Hate to tell you this, but you DO have an incorrigible deficit --
-- when it comes to writing the quantity and style of paperwork that was required by your previous specialty and residency program.

So after trying unsuccessfully to remediate your deficit, you came to realize that due to this issue, you were not suited to XYZ specialty. You then decided to transfer to ABC specialty, which plays to your strengths rather than your weaknesses, and where you have succeeded. You get to add one more sentence about how you are able to meet the paperwork requirements of ABC specialty.

You suck at certain types of paperwork. Own it. Admit it. You will have no luck denying it, and every attempt you make to minimize it ends up sounding insincere and entitled. There are plenty of people who hate paperwork :oops: so humbly admitting that you're one of them won't be the kiss of death.

As someone who actually HAS ADHD I find your comments ignorant and fairly offensive. Are some menial tasks hard and am I easily distracted? Sure, but I knew that going in and I picked a specialty that fits the best parts of my personality and abilities. I'm not sure what you mean by "working memory" but I do complex tasks and review literature often without too much issues beyond that expected for a fellow, I don't crutch myself with my diagnosis at all.

Let's call it what it is - you weren't able to handle the production pressures of your residency. The work (meaning specialty) might have been a poor fit and that is fine, there is a 5% national attrition rate so you fall within that statistic. What irks many here is that you seem dead-set on getting a "top-notch" residency without even fully understanding what your immediate issues are. You need to find a landing place, get acclimated and hit the ground running with your new specialty. Make sure you can do the work. Once that's done, then maybe explore a fellowship. But equating fellowship match only with top-notch programs is short-sighted and shows a lack of insight into what it takes to be a subspecialist.

Reactions: 5 users
What is insensitive about his word choice and the way it is used?

It's supposed to be "intellectual disability," but I have used "******ation" and "profound ******ation" in H&Ps and progress notes. I tried using "intellectual disability" in one of them, and it became really awkward.

It's supposed to be "intellectual disability," but I have used "******ation" and "profound ******ation" in H&Ps and progress notes. I tried using "intellectual disability" in one of them, and it became really awkward.
10yrs from now someone will declare "intellectual disability " to be insensitive