Treating trans patients in the ED...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted480308

Dr. Ryan Gorton did a talk on offering appropriate treatment to trans patients in the ED at the AAEM conference. You have to be a member to access it as part of AAEM online but I thought they did a great job with it if you were looking for something along those lines.

www.aaem.org

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for sharing this! If anyone who has access to it on the AAEM website wants to share a quick summary/highlights, I'd be very interested to hear what's in the talk.

Btw, Dr. Ryan N. Gorton is Nick Gorton, whose name has come up in a few other posts. He's a trans EM physician who wrote Medical Therapy and Health Maintenance for Transgender Men, and he practices at Lyon-Martin, San Francisco's LGBTQ health center.

Some of the worst treatment of trans patients that I've seen was while I was working in the ED. I'd chalk it up to a combination of: 1) it's an environment where practitioners rarely develop long-term relationships with patients, 2) patients are often in condition where their ability to advocate for themselves is compromised, and 3) the focus on rapidly stabilizing crises and turning over beds sometimes comes at the expense of bedside manner and treating patients with respect. The highlight was a doctor who routinely called for a psych consult on all trans patients (yes, even if they came in with a broken arm).

Reactions: 1 users