transitional year in hawaii?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone hear anything about the transitional year program in hawaii?

ie, how competitive, hours, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear its very competitive... but this is just what i HEARD. I could imagine it would be attractive to many. I will be applying for it for sure.

I'll ask around...

All I know is that there are 10 slots, and it's very attractive due to the not-too-crazy hours, and of course the nice weather and scenery. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those applicants or people thinking of applying to the Transitional Residency Program, I'd like to share my top 10 experiences so far:

1. Most of our class (5/9 residents) is from Hawaii. The odds bode well if you went to UH (JABSOM), not so well if you didn't. It pays to have ties to Hawaii, although some of our class and the previous class have no ties (that I know of).

2. After the rank order list submission deadline in 2008, the Program eliminated multiple electives (that were still listed in the brochure), and also reduced the number of electives from 4 to 3. This was AFTER we matched. We all found out a few weeks before starting. Surprise!

3. Yes, surgery is, in fact, Q3 (in general). HOWEVER, at a certain hospital, in 2007 and 2008 it has become commonplace to be Q2. How does this not violate ACGM? You are Q2 "home call." And you have to JUSTIFY to the Program Director why you are staying in the hospital if you choose to do so.

4. The Program Director is neither your ally, friend or advocate. I was told this by an outgoing resident, and if you went to UH you are already familiar with this and it doesn't come as a surprise. The resident also told me that the PD is the worst thing about the program. Even worse than being Q2. The sooner you get used to this, the better. And watch your back, Jack.

5. The surgery program fills its prelims through the scramble. Why? Q2-Q3, maybe, but also it seems like the PD makes a short rank list and relies on the scramble.

6. If you've got a problem with anything, please see item #4.

7. Being a Transitional resident in Hawaii is much, much better than being a medicine or surgery prelim . . . if I had to choose, after transitional, I would rank surgery over medicine for my prelim year.

8. Living in Hawaii is absolutely wonderful, and despite the 3 months of Q2-Q3, and despite the crappy hours on medicine, you still have plenty of time to spend on whatever you like.

9. The program interviews only 50 people.

10. If you're from Hawaii, have lived here, or wish to, that is the best reason to come to the program. Location is usually number 1 for competitive applicants. Please see number 8. Just make sure you never mention this, as all the administrators hate this fact, although they rely heavily on it.

11. BONUS. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose to come here. Location, Location, Location.

Bump - would also like to know if the same PD is still around...