Transferring Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bompton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted into an osteopathic medical school in California. It is close to my family which is of critical importance because both my mother and brother suffer from severe mental illnesses and I am one of their primary caretakers so it is important I am close to them. Recently however, for financial reasons, my family is moving to North Carolina and I am very saddened because I know its important for me to be close to my family for their well being. I looked up some medical schools in North Carolina and the ones that seems to fit my stats(MSAR as reference) is Eastern Carolina University (Brody) which is an MD schools and happens to be closest to where my family is looking to move. I have read that in order to transfer medical schools there must be a compelling reason to transfer and I believe my reasoning is sufficient. I also know that Eastern Carolina University SOM considers transfers. How likely will an MD schools accept DO transfers? Any anecdotes of a DO student successfully transferring to an MD school? Any insight will greatly be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's extremely rare for people to transfer medical schools and any that do happen do so after step 1 is complete and before 3rd year rotations occur.

So if staying around your family is important for you it may be wiser to move to NC, obtain state residency and apply to medical schools. Though of course, there's no way to say you'll get in there then either.

Though a better question would be whether you believe you'll really be able to split your time between medical school and providing for your family.

Reactions: 1 user
It's extremely rare for people to transfer medical schools and any that do happen do so after step 1 is complete and before 3rd year rotations occur.

So if staying around your family is important for you it may be wiser to move to NC, obtain state residency and apply to medical schools. Though of course, there's no way to say you'll get in there then either.

Though a better question would be whether you believe you'll really be able to split your time between medical school and providing for your family.
Thanks for the input. So you think it is unlikely to transfer even after M1? The reason I don't want to reapply is because it may be well into the cycle until we find a home in the area and buy it to obtain the NC address. My chances for acceptance would be low because I would be applying late and to only 1 school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there was a story about a D.O. student that transferred to an allopathic program back in the late 90's, but it turned out it was just a myth that was later debunked. Odds of winning the lottery are probably better. If all a D.O. student had to do was quote family hardship to be transferred into an allopathic program, then there would actually be stories about a D.O. student transferring into an allopathic program...ever.

Thanks for the input. So you think it is unlikely to transfer even after M1? The reason I don't want to reapply is because it may be well into the cycle until we find a home in the area and buy it to obtain the NC address. My chances for acceptance would be low because I would be applying late and to only 1 school.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Not that I'm advocating this, but you're probably more likely to get accepted applying solely to ECU late in the cycle than have a successful transfer from an osteopathic school to ECU. Even transferring from allopathic school to allopathic school is a challenge for students with good justifications.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted into an osteopathic medical school in California. It is close to my family which is of critical importance because both my mother and brother suffer from severe mental illnesses and I am one of their primary caretakers so it is important I am close to them. Recently however, for financial reasons, my family is moving to North Carolina and I am very saddened because I know its important for me to be close to my family for their well being. I looked up some medical schools in North Carolina and the ones that seems to fit my stats(MSAR as reference) is Eastern Carolina University (Brody) which is an MD schools and happens to be closest to where my family is looking to move. I have read that in order to transfer medical schools there must be a compelling reason to transfer and I believe my reasoning is sufficient. I also know that Eastern Carolina University SOM considers transfers. How likely will an MD schools accept DO transfers? Any anecdotes of a DO student successfully transferring to an MD school? Any insight will greatly be appreciated.
If you have started that DO and are looking for credit, you will get none at almost any MD, you will prob have to restart.

Last edited:
I have a friend who transferred after M1, he had to go to a brand new school, and only got some of his credits trans, and had to redo M1. The moral of the story is, you are better off applying without anything then trying to transfer after M1. Everyone will treat you much better, and they all treat you like your applying against the incoming class anyway.

I should specify, this was DO to DO. Even the Caribbean won't accept our credits anymore (although thats BS IMO, they are just trying to get back at DOs over the merger).

Last edited:
I personally know of a DO to DO transfer after M1. Pretty certain they had to repeat a class or two.

It's so rare that it's almost nonexistent. You might have better luck after 2nd year, but schools don't just have slots open willy-nilly....this isn't UG school. As a DO student, you should be thinking CUSOM, not Brody, anyway.

Also, I am very sorry for your family situation, but as medical student, you have to be somewhat selfish. Whether your family is close or far away, you can't just run home every time there is a crisis. I've seen too many students have their career destroyed by this.

Reactions: 4 users
I have met a total of one person who transferred to an MD school. He transferred after 2nd year and after taking the USMLE. Went from my school (Kirksville) to University of Nebraska. I asked why, he said just to be back home. I don't know that there were any majorly special circumstances though.

I have met a total of one person who transferred to an MD school. He transferred after 2nd year and after taking the USMLE. Went from my school (Kirksville) to University of Nebraska. I asked why, he said just to be back home. I don't know that there were any majorly special circumstances though.

What year did he transfer if you don't mind me asking? Ive seen posts about successful transfer but they seem dated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What year did he transfer if you don't mind me asking? Ive seen posts about successful transfer but they seem dated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
He's pgy1 or 2 right now I think, so it would be 3-4 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
The unicorn! It is possible! Now I can correct my mistake, BorntobeMD! here I come... Oh wait, still not gonna happen... back to cranial and arguing about FM Residency Rankings

Edit: also, Pics or it didn't happen!

The unicorn! It is possible! Now I can correct my mistake, BorntobeMD! here I come... Oh wait, still not gonna happen... back to cranial and arguing about FM Residency Rankings

Edit: also, Pics or it didn't happen!
Lol ok well I definitely don't plan on sharing any of this person's identifying information, so I guess it didn't happen ;)

Sorry about your situation. 99% of transfer only happen between second and third year. If you dont get to transfer, in 4th year you can set up nearly the entire year close to your family. So that's another option to consider.

If you really need to spend time with your family, consider taking a 1 year leave of absence, and conduct near full-time research at a nearby hospital while staying with your family.

I transferred between M1 and M2. Transferring between M2 and M3 is easier and more common regarding transfers. Gaps were minimal, and I did not have to repeat any classes. I'm on track to graduate the same year as what I began. There are 2 others who transferred into my class of the same year with no repeats. I know of 2 DO-MD transfers and plenty of schools that take transfers DO-DO and MD-MD, a handful of DO-MD, and know of 1 DO school that takes MD transfers. It's not 'difficult' to transfers, but everything has to line up. Extenuating circumstances that give you reason to apply for transfer in the first place (and giving reason for applying to a particular school/area), passing grades on first try, having the stats for the school you're trying to go to. You have a circumstance, so you just have to do what you're supposed to do now - and pass. The other thing though is the curriculum's must line up and the school must have space for you (i.e. someone had to have left for whatever reason without the seat being filled by someone repeating a year later from the class ahead initially). All of the classes taken first year at the school you want to travel to must have been taken (or able to be made up in the summer or individually without impeding your education and while keeping you on track). Some schools have deadlines for transfer apps, some dont, some only take 2nd-3rd years, some are open to 1st-2nd years. You'll more than likely have to have an interview of sorts (like on the phone, and they have to like you, too). You just have to look up each school in the region. To go MD from DO, typically it needs to be because the situation brings you to an area that doesnt have a DO school in a reasonable distance. NC has a DO school, as does VA, but it wont hurt to contact them to find out. When I was doing this - I made phone calls - some people may prefer to email. That's up to you.

Good luck and I hope it works out, but at this point, keep in mind that it is very uncommon, and that you need to focus on the school youre at currently.

Last edited:
and it's still false
Really, so tell me the huge list of allopathic schools that will take a DO student and give them credit? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know.

I transferred between M1 and M2. Transferring between M2 and M3 is easier and more common regarding transfers. Gaps were minimal, and I did not have to repeat any classes. I'm on track to graduate the same year as what I began. There are 2 others who transferred into my class of the same year with no repeats. I know of 2 DO-MD transfers and plenty of schools that take transfers DO-DO and MD-MD, a handful of DO-MD, and know of 1 DO school that takes MD transfers. It's not 'difficult' to transfers, but everything has to line up. Extenuating circumstances that give you reason to apply for transfer in the first place (and giving reason for applying to a particular school/area), passing grades on first try, having the stats for the school you're trying to go to. You have a circumstance, so you just have to do what you're supposed to do now - and pass. The other thing though is the curriculum's must line up and the school must have space for you (i.e. someone had to have left for whatever reason without the seat being filled by someone repeating a year later from the class ahead initially). All of the classes taken first year at the school you want to travel to must have been taken (or able to be made up in the summer or individually without impeding your education and while keeping you on track). Some schools have deadlines for transfer apps, some dont, some only take 2nd-3rd years, some are open to 1st-2nd years. You'll more than likely have to have an interview of sorts (like on the phone, and they have to like you, too). You just have to look up each school in the region. To go MD from DO, typically it needs to be because the situation brings you to an area that doesnt have a DO school in a reasonable distance. NC has a DO school, as does VA, but it wont hurt to contact them to find out. When I was doing this - I made phone calls - some people may prefer to email. That's up to you.

Good luck and I hope it works out, but at this point, keep in mind that it is very uncommon, and that you need to focus on the school youre at currently.
I don't believe this guy. MD-MD and DO-DO transfer are possible. But DO-MD or MD-DO are impossible except start everything over from year 1. Where OMM credits that MD gonna get; and you really think MD school treat DO science class as equal, you are sadly mistaken.

I don't believe this guy. MD-MD and DO-DO transfer are possible. But DO-MD or MD-DO are impossible except start everything over from year 1. Where OMM credits that MD gonna get; and you really think MD school treat DO science class as equal, you are sadly mistaken.
What! What am I learning that DO aren't?

I must concede that our school gave us COMBANK after year 1, and I thought the questions were easy... 70%+ of them were first oder questions. Maybe COMLEX is different.

Really, so tell me the huge list of allopathic schools that will take a DO student and give them credit? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know.

Transfer Students | Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program | NSU

Read bullets 2 and 3. They give you credit for what you did. DO-MD transfer. I don't know the stipulations for timing/level 1 with OMM, but OMM can be learned within a year of a 2nd year transfer and be able to take boards on time. Many schools are not taking step/level 1 in 3rd year, which gives a year while on rotations to learn OMM. Call them if you really have interest.

Transfer Students

Another for MD-DO

MD Program Frequently Asked Questions - College of Medicine

"Do you have transfer positions into your second- or third-year classes?
Yes, if spaces are available. We do accept applications for entrance into the second or third years from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying abroad and from students in osteopathic medical schools. More information about the transfer process is available at the transfer web page." ------Rhetorical question - why do they state they consider you for 2nd and 3rd year if you'd have to start over? hmmmmmmmm......

FAQs under transfer sections. DO-MD. I spoke with them directly. If the curriculums line up, you get credit for what you did. They don't have OMM... so you took an EXTRA course, big woop... I guess that means you have to repeat everything according to you. I guess we just have to relearn path since ya know.. we do OMM on path slides in DO school (obvious sarcasm). So please tell me how much you know about transferring when I literally just pointed out two instances about you being wrong after I transferred myself and spoke to multiple other schools on it during my process. But you must be the expert here, so please tell me more.

I guess I'm "sadly mistaken" though... lol

Want more? Search yourself

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
And FYI, OMM is offered as electives at multiple MD schools, and through some DO schools for anyone who wants to learn it. I have a friend at an MD school in FL learning OMM at his school. You don't need to believe me, but if you don't, especially with links that I posted, and posting regarding first hand experience with transferring, then I don't know what to tell you. I transferred, and I know others who have transferred as well. While I don't know anyone MD-DO transfers (but it's possible), I do know a handful of DO-DO, DO-MD, and MD-MD (both US-US and Carib-US).

I must concede that our school gave us COMBANK after year 1, and I thought the questions were easy... 70%+ of them were first oder questions. Maybe COMLEX is different.

Combank is a crappy qbank... it's representative of the "guess what I'm thinking" situation COMLEX throws you into, but I promise DOs are learning actual medicine.

I spent about 2 minutes thinking about why you're using a DO bank, but then remembered that it does actually have a USMLE version.

Combank is a crappy qbank... it's representative of the "guess what I'm thinking" situation COMLEX throws you into, but I promise DOs are learning actual medicine.

Compared to Uworld it was a breeze though.