Transferring from RUSVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiekat1295

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a student at RUSVM and I applied to transfer to several schools in the US. I was wondering if anyone who has ever successfully transferred could give me some insight into when they heard back from the schools they applied to (Especially if you applied to OK State). Also, a lot of the other posts on here about transferring mention that people who have successfully transferred had a 'very good' GPA, I was wondering if anyone could give me a more specific number. I have a 3.8 right now and I'd like to know if I actually stand a chance if there are spots available. I've been obsessively checking my email for the past week and I'm losing my mind:(

UPDATE: In case anyone in the future is curious I got an email today (June 16th) that I've been accepted to OK State!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I transferred from a UK school and they don't really give out GPA's. And a rough calculation of my GPA would have been lower than a 3.8. I think some schools do have a minimum GPA requirement for transfer students just like they do for students first entering the program. You'll just have to wait it out and see what happens. :luck:

I'm currently a student at RUSVM
UPDATE: In case anyone in the future is curious I got an email today (June 16th) that I've been accepted to OK State!!!

Congratulations on your successful transfer acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a student at RUSVM and I applied to transfer to several schools in the US. I was wondering if anyone who has ever successfully transferred could give me some insight into when they heard back from the schools they applied to (Especially if you applied to OK State). Also, a lot of the other posts on here about transferring mention that people who have successfully transferred had a 'very good' GPA, I was wondering if anyone could give me a more specific number. I have a 3.8 right now and I'd like to know if I actually stand a chance if there are spots available. I've been obsessively checking my email for the past week and I'm losing my mind:(

Hi Katiekat! I was hoping you could shed some light on your transfer process. I currently attend RUSVM and for a million reasons it isn't working out for me. I like the school and everyone is very friendly but being here, so far from home alone is tearing me apart. If you have any tips or advice on transferring, please share!

Do you mind me asking what semester you transferred out of? Where did you start up at OK State? Did you find any particular schools more open to accepting Rossies than others?

Congratulations on your successful transfer! Best of luck!

Can I ask why you guys are transferring out of Ross? I've just been accepted and want to know the ins and outs while deciding between schools. Thanks so much for sharing!

Can I ask why you guys are transferring out of Ross? I've just been accepted and want to know the ins and outs while deciding between schools. Thanks so much for sharing!
I'm not from Ross or anything, but there are several reasons someone may want to transfer. Cost (probably the biggest reason)-students may try to transfer to their IS, or at least a cheaper OOS school. Island life-I'm told it's fun for a while, then the fact that everything is more expensive and it's a pain to fly in/out gets to you after a while. I haven't heard anything specific about the school itself that makes students want to transfer, though.

Hi Katiekat! I was hoping you could shed some light on your transfer process. I currently attend RUSVM and for a million reasons it isn't working out for me. I like the school and everyone is very friendly but being here, so far from home alone is tearing me apart. If you have any tips or advice on transferring, please share!

Do you mind me asking what semester you transferred out of? Where did you start up at OK State? Did you find any particular schools more open to accepting Rossies than others?

Congratulations on your successful transfer! Best of luck!

I'm also not from an island school, but just wanted to share that at UF, all of our transfers came in at the beginning of our second year. We pretty much only lose students after first year, and the number we lose is the number that will then be open for transfers (both from island schools and state schools - we lost 3 first year, so my class ended up getting a transfer from SGU, Ross, and VMRCVM). Part of it is because we have a different curriculum set up, where we do 2 years in the classroom, then immediately begin clinics in May after second year. As a result, it's virtually impossible for a student from any other school to transfer in past second year. So if UF is on your list, you probably will be applying for transfer in the spring of your first year!

I also looked into transferring to VMRCVM early on, and they had mentioned getting in touch with them during spring of first year too. So I'm guessing it's a fairly similar timeline for most schools? Either way, you should just email the admissions office of any school you're considering and ask them about it, they'll be able to give you the correct timeline. Good luck! :)

I'm not from Ross or anything, but there are several reasons someone may want to transfer. Cost (probably the biggest reason)-students may try to transfer to their IS, or at least a cheaper OOS school. Island life-I'm told it's fun for a while, then the fact that everything is more expensive and it's a pain to fly in/out gets to you after a while. I haven't heard anything specific about the school itself that makes students want to transfer, though.
I'd actually say the #1 (2 and 3) reason people transfer is actually because they have family/an SO they have left behind that they want to be back with/are homesick. Some people who transfer end up spending significantly more on their education because of the timing/requirements (my classmates who went to NCSU spent less though). One of my classmates transferred at the end of 1st year and was required to repeat 1st year at her new school, so she sat through and paid for 5 years of vet school. To each his own. Although some people accept seats at island schools with the goal of transferring, I strongly recommend that you only accept if you are willing to spend your whole education there and are willing to put in the effort to be HAPPY on an island. Nothing was more frustrating than classmates who HATED the island and people and were toxic/venomous towards others. Vet school is a privilege, not a right, and if you are going to choose to be a guest in someone else's country, have the decency to be humble and kind about it. (getting off the soapbox now ;) )

I'd actually say the #1 (2 and 3) reason people transfer is actually because they have family/an SO they have left behind that they want to be back with/are homesick. Some people who transfer end up spending significantly more on their education because of the timing/requirements (my classmates who went to NCSU spent less though). One of my classmates transferred at the end of 1st year and was required to repeat 1st year at her new school, so she sat through and paid for 5 years of vet school. To each his own. Although some people accept seats at island schools with the goal of transferring, I strongly recommend that you only accept if you are willing to spend your whole education there and are willing to put in the effort to be HAPPY on an island. Nothing was more frustrating than classmates who HATED the island and people and were toxic/venomous towards others. Vet school is a privilege, not a right, and if you are going to choose to be a guest in someone else's country, have the decency to be humble and kind about it. (getting off the soapbox now ;) )

100% agree with the part in blue. Do not accept a seat at any vet school unless you plan on spending all four years there (obviously dropping out happens, failing happens and changing minds do happen) but don't accept with the goal to transfer because for most people it does not happen.

I kind of disagree on the purple above. Not about the classmates being toxic/venomous towards others, that is never ok. However as someone who was incredibly unhappy with where I was living during my first two years you can't tell someone/force someone to be happy. No matter how much effort was put in, I was miserable. Some places just aren't meant for some people. But expecting someone to be happy about it is like expecting a depressed person to not be depressed. Now expecting someone to buck up, put their big girl panties on and deal with the cards they are handed (deal with living on an island either by taking it each day at a time or by trying to transfer or by making decisions such as leaving school if it really is impacting their life that much), that is different, but you can't expect a person to be outwardly happy about being in a place that, to them, is beyond miserable.

Reactions: 1 users