Transfer from RUSVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferretlove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a first semester at Ross and I'm looking into transferring schools but need some help from people who have gone through this before.
I can't handle island life; I want to go back to the US. The stress of being so far from the US has caused me to start having more issues with my anxiety and it has impacted my grades. I'm struggling in anatomy but I'm not past the point of no return. Do I have a shot at transferring, what should I know about the transfer process, and do you have any other tips for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm a first semester at Ross and I'm looking into transferring schools but need some help from people who have gone through this before.
I can't handle island life; I want to go back to the US. The stress of being so far from the US has caused me to start having more issues with my anxiety and it has impacted my grades. I'm struggling in anatomy but I'm not past the point of no return. Do I have a shot at transferring, what should I know about the transfer process, and do you have any other tips for me?
I'm sorry island life isnt working well for you :( I loved being an island student and I wouldnt trade it for the world (however, I was very stressed and lonely 1st semester, but that did get better)

I never attempted to transfer, so I don't know all of the nitty gritty details, but you will need to contact the schools you are interested in transferring to in order to determine just what they need from you IF they have a spot to apply for. Things commonly looked for were transcripts and a letter of good standing from the deans office. Keep in mind that you may not be considered "equal" transferring from one program to another, and may be required to repeat a semester or entire year. I had 5 or 6 classmates that transferred (though several more applied unsuccessfully), and most of them were able to stay in the class of 2015, however, 1 was required to complete year 1 again.

So, you are going to need to do a few things....

1. You need to research veterinary schools in the US and see which ones accept transfer students.

2. You will need to contact these schools to see if they have space within the current class for you to transfer in. Just because they accept transfers, does not meant they will have a seat available.

3. It is kind of late in the semester now to start the whole process and be able to transfer in by January, so you might have to wait to transfer in starting your second year. However, you will have to look at the school websites and see when application material for a transfer into the spring semester needs to be submitted by.

4. Be prepared to possibly have to retake some courses or even be dropped down into the year below. No two vet schools are alike in curriculum and while many are quite similar there are sometimes enough differences that you might have to drop down a class to be sure that you have received all of the courses that you need for the degree. You can attempt to avoid this by looking at the curriculum on the schools' websites of which you are interested in transferring into and seeing what courses they have taken thus far and compare them to the best of your ability to the courses that you have taken thus far. While this might keep you from having to repeat a year, it may not and even if something seems really similar to you, they may still have you retake a course.

5. Are you struggling in anatomy to the point that you may not pass? I ask this because you need to have at least passed everything and some schools have GPA requirements for transfer students. They also ask for a letter from your current veterinary schools dean stating that you are in good standing. This typically means that you have not had any academic or behavioral probation issues. I doubt that you have, but just figured I would make you aware of this aspect.

6. You will need to explain your reasons for transferring. Be prepared to explain these in a personal statement type of essay. You don't need to expand deeply upon the reasons. Just state exactly why you are seeking a transfer and what you can bring to the school. Be honest, but don't dwell on the negative. Stating that you have some health problems and island life does not provide you with as good of medical care as you can obtain in the US is enough. You can explain that island life is exacerbating the health problems as well if you want. But be honest, explain, don't dwell and then focus on the positives of what you can bring to the school.

7. Whether or not you have a "shot" at transferring really depends on if the schools you are interested in have an opening, how many others are applying for a transfer, and also a bit on your current grades in comparison to others applying for a transfer.

Transferring is possible, it can be done. You are going to need to do some more research on the different US schools and see which ones you want to apply to for a transfer. Then you are going to need to contact them to see if they have an open spots. It will take some work and some communicating with different schools and people within your own school in order to get all the pieces together, but it can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know my school takes transfers, but only if they have like a near perfect GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this post is old but I was wondering if anyone had an idea of exactly what GPA transfer students typically have. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Oklahoma State and would like to know if I have a chance (if there are spots available)

I know this post is old but I was wondering if anyone had an idea of exactly what GPA transfer students typically have. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Oklahoma State and would like to know if I have a chance (if there are spots available)
Did you get into okstate as a transfer. If so what was your GPA.