Transfer Between Pod Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are only 9 Pod schools, and of course, we should attend one where we plan on finishing and want to complete a residency (and the neighboring states). Especially when the stats to get accepted into one school is more or less the same for the other schools.

However, all of the Pod schools have a transfer policy for students to transfer from one school to another.

My question is why is this needed? In what instances might this work out, i.e. to start at one school and then transfer to another say in the 2nd year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't like the area and don't want to stay...?

There are only 9 Pod schools, and of course, we should attend one where we plan on finishing and want to complete a residency (and the neighboring states). Especially when the stats to get accepted into one school is more or less the same for the other schools.

However, all of the Pod schools have a transfer policy for students to transfer from one school to another.

My question is why is this needed? In what instances might this work out, i.e. to start at one school and then transfer to another say in the 2nd year? Thanks!
There are a ton of reasons why someone might want to transfer that might not have anything to do with the school they started at! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of reasons why someone might want to transfer that might not have anything to do with the school they started at! :)

And the transfers usually goes through?

I can think of medical reasons and or family emergencies for a transfer that might get through.

Schools are open to taking transfers. Its more people to pay the tuition. So I dont think theyre strict about if its a "good reason" to transfer. I just toured Midwestern and the kid who gave me the tour said he had a friend that transferred from Temple simply because they didnt like the area.

Reactions: 2 users
Schools are open to taking transfers. Its more people to pay the tuition. So I dont think theyre strict about if its a "good reason" to transfer. I just toured Midwestern and the kid who gave me the tour said he had a friend that transferred from Temple simply because they didnt like the area.
Baller status

Reactions: 2 users
Don't transfer unless there are major issues. High chance of being made to repeat a year as courses "don't cross over right" or some other excuse.

I'm sure there's more to that story lol

They had kids and had their home broken into multiple times and didn't like the area and didn't feel safe.
Haha well that makes more sense than straight up "didn't like the area." Philly is not safe so I'm not surprised.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha well that makes more sense than straight up "didn't like the area." Philly is not safe so I'm not surprised.
Like any major city, there are good and bad areas of Philly. Immediately around the podiatry school is a safe area.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

You can transfer, but generally you'll have to start over as a 1st year from day one since the schools' curricula don't match up perfectly. It's basically the student transferring, not their credits.

You can transfer, but generally you'll have to start over as a 1st year from day one since the schools' curricula don't match up perfectly. It's basically the student transferring, not their credits.

This is quite interesting. I did read a few schools listing that credits will be lost so an additional year should be anticipated for transfer students but is that generally the case with all schools?

This is quite interesting. I did read a few schools listing that credits will be lost so an additional year should be anticipated for transfer students but is that generally the case with all schools?
I would assume that if a school does allow a transfer (some might not take transfers at all) that they probably won't accept the credits or will accept them but you'll have to retake the classes anyway.

If you look at the curricula of the schools, they just don't match up like that. For instance, let's just look at lower extremity anatomy. Temple has a dedicated LEA course during 1st year. DMU doesn't take LEA until some time 2nd year. Western doesn't have a dedicated LEA course at all. Now throw in the 20 or so other courses that each school has within the first two years and scramble em up to match each school's specific progression of the curriculum. It gets complicated fast.

In addition, every podiatry school throws so much info at you that it would be very difficult to find the time to make up any gaps in education on your own.

So it's not necessarily that the schools just refuse to take transfer credits because they're butt holes or they want that extra year of tuition or something. If you did transfer into another school as a 2nd year, or wherever you left of at your previous school, you would probably be very very lost and there's a very good chance it wouldn't go well for you.

So in the long run, starting over is probably a good thing. Especially since boards are pass/fail, residencies will end up looking at your GPAs and you don't wanna be transferred in beyond where you should be, in a sink or swim situation, end up sinking, and have that reflected on your transcripts. Might as well just do it right and start over.

Last edited:
When I interviewed at MWU pod school, some kid transferred because his life was in danger (For what ever reason) from temple.

TUSPM is in a safe area, literally across the street from Philadelphia Police Headquarters.

Of course Philadelphia is a large city and in any large city you have to do things a little differently than you might in a smaller town or out in the suburbs. Don't walk down dark alleys, don't go to sketchy parts of town at night or alone, etc. But being in life threatening danger at TUSPM is certainly not the norm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk