Training Programs for CPE ONLY (no TOEFL, no BSCE, no NAVLE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been thinking about take vet tech program and work as vet tech first while I am preparing for vet license exam. However, I found it is not economically realistic. It takes a couple of years to finish vet tech program and it cost a lot. So, it gave up this idea.
Hi! I had the same thought too... Why don't you get a volunteer job in some shelter!! they really need help in those places and you can work you way up as vet assistant. It is not a technician... but you can do pretty much everything that a tech does and you can get in touch with the vets and the techs and help your community.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody! I am so sorry for my absence since creating this thread but I was super busy preparing and taking the CPE. I am happy to see that the thread has lived on and that people are participating in it. Please remember that if you are in here its because you are focusing on the CPE so please no talking about TOWFL, NAVLE or BSCE, there are plenty of forums for those!

I took the CPE in October 2014 in LV and it was very stressful but I felt as prepared as I could be and acted "confident" in front of the examiners and answered everything to the best of my abilities.. I passed everything on my first try so obviously I am very happy with this outcome.

Ok so you are wondering what did I do? How did I prepared for this? Well, I started preparing for it about 3 months before the big day. Yup, not longer than that, perhaps in a shorter period of time actually. I get bored and I function better under pressure so I tend to leave things for the "last few months". Anyways, here are my suggestions:

1-Manual (the theory):
  • a-print the MoA and develop every little request. I wrote in a notebook EVERYTHING they ask you to perform in the Manual. I wrote exactly what I was going to say, I searched for everything online and used maybe 1 or 2 books.... For example, the section of small animal techniques it says describe how to perform a thoracocentesis. I went to Washington State University website where they explain a few of the procedure and basically wrote it in my own words for every procedure. I also recommend buying the book "Small Animal Clinical Techniques" by Susan taylor on Amazon. Everything you need for the small animal techniques section is in there. Write it down and memorize it! I recorded it on my iphone under "voice memos" and listened to it while driving and all that stuff... stick it to your brain! If you are talking more than a minute and a half then you are probably talking too much and saying extra things that might be harming you so just say what is necessary, what the manual requires. Write it down for bovine and equine techniques with "every word" that you are going to say.
  • b- PICTURES! also print pictures to put it on each procedure, especially equine lameness. You have to explain how to block each nerve so you want images to help you visualize where the nerve is and what is surrounding it.
  • c- I also created my own playlist on youtube where I saved every video regarding physical exams, lameness exams, bovine procedures, etc. MEMORIZE THEM! It helps to write it down and to actually see it!
  • d- Developing the manual its the hardest part, the most important and the most time-consuming! It took me 4-5 weeks (perhaps more!) at an easy, stress free pace and then the actual hands on training took me 6 weeks total. Try to do all of it before going to any of the courses I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Believe me, you dont want to get there and start understanding what you need to do, you want to get there with all the theory in your mind so you can get the most out of it! :)

2- Training facilities:
  • a- At the beginning of this thread I mention a few places depending on which section you need training on. There is NOT a place where you can train for all of it, sorry! The shelter in Massachusetts apparently is not taking any more students for unknown reasons but the Humane Alliance in North Carolina is still accepting, thy just book out quickly! Me personally, went to an animal county service (government shelter) in Largo, Florida where I spayed every morning for a week. They do not teach you, or supervise you. You have a table next to the other surgeon and they do not spay with a technique valid for CPE purposes (everyone knows shelter have their own ways), so if you go there make sure you know your ****, get practice in your country first and feel confident with your technique by looking for spay videos on youtube. SO because I did not have money to pay for a surgery course, what I did was that I did my first few spays in my country and practiced for 2-3 weeks and then contacted the vet at Pinellas County Animal Service and went there just before the test to practice high volume. I even asked them to just give me overweight dogs and big dogs like pits and german shepherds. Thats right, you want to take all the difficult spays so you can breeze thru it during the test :) heres a youtube video for a spay:

• b-I know 2 people that trained with Dr Kim at latitude vet 36 in NC for the large animal portions and they loved it! It was an intense week but they learned everything so I think it would be cool to do this course along with the Humane Alliance course since they are both in NC. Make sure you do your courses it 3-4 weeks before the test so its still fresh but there is still time to study more!
  • c- I also met a few people that went to San Diego to train at Bonita Pet all the small animal portions. It could be worth while if you are on this side of the country. I encourage to contact them ans see what they offer.
  • d- For necropsy section I have a video from the University of Guelph that if you do it exactly how they show you then you will do just fine even if you have not done a necropsy ever in your life! Its too big to post but try finding it online or if you have dropbox you could send me a folder to share. If you live near a shelter then contact them since they always have kittens or animals that were euthanized... perhaps they wont mind if you perform the necropsies.
  • e- I completed my Large animal training (both bovine and equine) at Tuskegee University. I contacted them explaining I wanted to perform an externship in Large Animal to prepare for the CPE. I went for a couple of weeks and did everything... They dont always offer such thing, i guess it depends how busy they are with their actual students... A few bad things from my experience: not all the teachers want to spend time with CPE students since they are busy with their own students so you waste a lot of time waiting for people to have time for you even when you are paying to be there! It can be very frustrating as there isnt a formal program, its just "whatever the day brings".. also they do not accomodate you at all! you would need to stay at a hotel and rent a car since the closest airport is Atlanta (about 2 hours away!) and there is not public transportation to get to the school and no hotels nearby so it can get quite expensive to go for more than a week! Also, if you train here you probably cannot take the CPE here or if you do then it has to be more than a year away. :S Now that I look back I would have gone to NC instead to do all my large animal training in 1 week (cause it can be done in that amount of time if its all day working instead of 2 hours per day for 2 weeks!)
  • f- In my experience the anesthesia portion was the most nerve wrecking cause they are asking you a lot of questions (in surgery you are just doing your thing and the examiner comes by to check on you from time to time). But they ask you everything that is on the manual so again, memorize it! You have to explain the machine, explain all your formulas (fluid rate, gas rate, oxygen rate, etc). Just try to do a lot of catheter placements, e-tube placements and anesthesia monitoring in the US since its hard to find a place that will let you do surgery but will probably let you do technician assignments like these. If you feel confident placing a catheter and an e-tube then you just need to study the formulas which you can get from any anesthesia book online (even the ones for vet techs). There are also a lot of cool videos on youtube explaining the machine :)

3-the Test:

I took it in Las Vegas, they offer it every month and the hotel is next to the center, they pick you up at the airport and breakfast and lunch are included. Is very easy to take it here cause everything is figured out. Everyone is very nice, you just need to know your thing and act confident even if you dont know what the hell you are saying :) I have heard that vegas is the toughest place, but I think the exam is pretty fair. I think because its the place that offers it the most with the highest amount of candidates taking it there then the chances of candidates failing and we hearing about it its also higher..... Just my thoughts though. :)

If you have any questions please ask thru here and if you already took and passed the CPE please share your experience and suggestions!
Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone !

Thank you Maksara for detailed post,and Congratulations!
I hope it will encourage more people to come back to the forum after the exam and share the experience!

This is my CPE story:

I took CPE in November( Mississippi) for the first time and 3 weeks after got the results- passed it all ! (sorry for being late but I needed some time off of the vet stuff ;))

Well, I can not name many events in my life that were stressful like this,and that stress is the major challenge that this exam brings. Knowing yourself and mechanisms of dealing with your emotions in days like these will do half of a job. The other half is the exam itself and information you have to organize in your head-it is not that hard as it looks like :)
ABOUT the EXAM:
Do not let people scare you off :) Everyone's experience is different and stick to what you know and present it the best you can. Don't hate yourself because you couldn't see the obvious or couldn't remember the important thing- it will happen. It is normal to be nervous. It is impossible not to be...and they know that :) They are teachers working with the students every day,so, just people, not aliens, as I was imagining them :))))
MSU is a nice place to see :) They have capacity of 10 candidates so it is not crowded. It is well organized and the staff is very nice. You provide the hotel and transportation. They provide meals and everything else. I was there about 10 hours every day, so...find a way to sleep over night no matter what!
The examiners were as nice as they can. Some were so cold I wanted to escape the section, and some of them are so nice that I wish I could hug them(like everyone at radiography section or the guys at bovine techniques) and I was desperate to feel that human touch there :) but there is no any feedback during your talking so focus on the most important things and watch the time. Speak loud and clear and move on!

TIME and PREP:
Took me 4-5 months all together. I worked as a vet tech so I had an idea of small animal medicine and procedures.
First 2-3 MONTHS I was reading diseases from the list -The most common diagnoses and making my own notebook with major symptoms and differentials and most common therapy, nothing fancy. Just know the common drugs you can use, and tests you can ask for. I think I wasted too much time on all diseases and details, now I would focus onto most COMMON ones, things that jump on me when I think of the species. Also I tried to go through some general advises to the potential owner, like what will I tell them about nutrition,housing,stress etc. in a specific case.
ONE MONTH I devoted to anesthesia and surgery.
The REST of the time I was going through the manual and learning techniques. Also I wrote everything down, every procedure. It helps if you keep it in order and memorize it.

FOOD ANIMALS:
MATERIALS I USED: NVMS book.Merck. Mr. Google...Cattle site for diseases is fine. Penn Videos and materials are a must! Youtube for techniques. One afternoon of a training at Lat36. That was helpful enough. I didn't even know to put the halter on a cow before that. A big thanks to nice farmers in Virginia :)It is encouraging to put the hands on the cow after a long time. Also for techniques- Large animal technique book has all you need. Google pictures of instruments that you will need. Also someone told me he went from farm to farm where ever there is a vet around and asked for few days of training and found it. So don't give up in looking for what you need.
Goats,Sheep- I downloaded a book from internet with most common diseases, Studied for a week. I found a great one on slideshare.net.
PROBLEM
with this section-Times flies when doing techniques! Start talking right away and start with the easiest one.I wanted to be so detailed with CMT that I spend half of a time on that. Wrong :)

EQUINE:
MY MATERIALS:
The BEST book I know of is "Manual of equine practice" by Rose and Hodgson, but it is expensive and I didn't have it so I used NVMS, Merck and Equine site mostly, but lots of other websites as well. Atlanta Equine Clinic website has a great educational library for most common conditions with a good explanation of therapies. So internet for diseases and therapies. Lat36 for experience :) Dr G. is wonderful teacher and since I have never been around horses a lot( being in a group at the lab in vet school is nothing) I really needed this to get familiar with routine stuff. And at that point, we all need a little bit of her encouraging energy that she shares, she could charge for that only :)))) So, my point is, stay enthusiastic and positive before and during the test :)
ON THE EXAM-Move on quickly in techniques! With lameness -trot the horse till you are sure which leg it is, don't assume. Ask everything you can think of in history. Ask for all diagnostic tests.
SMALL ANIMALS-
MATERIALS- Merck, NVMS, Nerd book is also cute and very useful.Bunch of good websites.Some technician book for techniques. Youtube and VETeLib.
EXAM That is the longest day,at the end of it when I was scheduled to do the case and s.o.a.p. I didn't know where I am any more :) The medical management case is nerve wrecking since s.o.a.p. takes a bunch of time so focus on the most important things. You can not write everything in the record, be selective.
RADIOLOGY-Super super nice examiner, I wish I can thank her for giving us that human touch on a stressful day. She made it a little easier :)Sources you used for studying for BCSE might help for settings and machine, if you need it, but if you passed NAVLE and done x-rays before, this shouldn't be a problem.
NECROPSY- I studied from the manual from UGA , has good pictures but probably not the best source out there, no videos. I also downloaded a Necropsy book pdf. And youtube is helpful for the heart details.If you are at the clinic or shelter, ask to do some necropsies. Finding tiny things might be tricky, such as thyroid,adrenal,thymus etc. when you get lost in all that tissue :)
SURGERY- Well...interesting. I've already said everything I knew about potential trainings before...Choices are poor for us in the US, but, as Maksara said, shelters are worth of trying. I asked few in the area and it didn't work, so I gave up on finding it in US...because the time was passing by and I had to plan everything else I took a trip to a clinic in Romania and I enjoyed it. They were wonderful,patient and provided plenty of patients per day.It is quite expensive to fly but,without other options at that point, it worked for me(Good side is that you can stop by home if you are from Europe somewhere :))
EXAM-It helped me to go through every little step in my head that I am going to do, right before entering a surgery room. That applies to anesthesia as well. Once you go in,your adrenalin kicks you so hard that you are not your very self :)Most of us had to do gloving and gowning few times because of being nervous and messing something up...that is fine,correct your mistake on time :)

ANESTHESIA :
MATERIALS: I studied from the book Anesthesia and analgesia for vet techs and went through it into details. Also consulted different vets about drugs and protocols and went to seminars about it. Also youtube.
EXAM This is a section where your stress can kick you out. To me, the most nervous moments were at the very beginning when gathering equipment and placing catheter, but after initial stress somehow I managed to act like I am in my normal clinic environment just chitchatting with other technician and all these people are there for someone else, I am just doing my job to take care of that sweet dog.I had complications but as long as you know how to fix them, you are good.Try to imagine it is just a regular day. You know the machine,she knows you :)
Learn all effect of potential anesthetics you are going to use, all complications and what to do when it happens. When it happens it is good to know why it happened :)

That's all, Folks !
Wish you all the best!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
congratulation for all passed the exam, I can't find the video for necropsy, can you please let me where can I find this?

Hi.I am going to start prepration for CPE. Is there anyone who can discuss or share information.
Thanks

guys prepare well, but be sure to do hands on practical experience prior to your cpe exam, I went to this place in san diego contact them directly.. [email protected]
they have good small animal medicine experience, exposure to surgery and anesthesia. There is a goat farm nearby and horses as well. Getting to bovine was difficult but was possible.
good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Any body Planning to take CPE at Mississippi this September? would like to study together. Email me [email protected]. Thanks

Hello everybody! I am so sorry for my absence since creating this thread but I was super busy preparing and taking the CPE. I am happy to see that the thread has lived on and that people are participating in it. Please remember that if you are in here its because you are focusing on the CPE so please no talking about TOWFL, NAVLE or BSCE, there are plenty of forums for those!

I took the CPE in October 2014 in LV and it was very stressful but I felt as prepared as I could be and acted "confident" in front of the examiners and answered everything to the best of my abilities.. I passed everything on my first try so obviously I am very happy with this outcome.

Ok so you are wondering what did I do? How did I prepared for this? Well, I started preparing for it about 3 months before the big day. Yup, not longer than that, perhaps in a shorter period of time actually. I get bored and I function better under pressure so I tend to leave things for the "last few months". Anyways, here are my suggestions:

1-Manual (the theory):
  • a-print the MoA and develop every little request. I wrote in a notebook EVERYTHING they ask you to perform in the Manual. I wrote exactly what I was going to say, I searched for everything online and used maybe 1 or 2 books.... For example, the section of small animal techniques it says describe how to perform a thoracocentesis. I went to Washington State University website where they explain a few of the procedure and basically wrote it in my own words for every procedure. I also recommend buying the book "Small Animal Clinical Techniques" by Susan taylor on Amazon. Everything you need for the small animal techniques section is in there. Write it down and memorize it! I recorded it on my iphone under "voice memos" and listened to it while driving and all that stuff... stick it to your brain! If you are talking more than a minute and a half then you are probably talking too much and saying extra things that might be harming you so just say what is necessary, what the manual requires. Write it down for bovine and equine techniques with "every word" that you are going to say.
  • b- PICTURES! also print pictures to put it on each procedure, especially equine lameness. You have to explain how to block each nerve so you want images to help you visualize where the nerve is and what is surrounding it.
  • c- I also created my own playlist on youtube where I saved every video regarding physical exams, lameness exams, bovine procedures, etc. MEMORIZE THEM! It helps to write it down and to actually see it!
  • d- Developing the manual its the hardest part, the most important and the most time-consuming! It took me 4-5 weeks (perhaps more!) at an easy, stress free pace and then the actual hands on training took me 6 weeks total. Try to do all of it before going to any of the courses I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Believe me, you dont want to get there and start understanding what you need to do, you want to get there with all the theory in your mind so you can get the most out of it! :)

2- Training facilities:
  • a- At the beginning of this thread I mention a few places depending on which section you need training on. There is NOT a place where you can train for all of it, sorry! The shelter in Massachusetts apparently is not taking any more students for unknown reasons but the Humane Alliance in North Carolina is still accepting, thy just book out quickly! Me personally, went to an animal county service (government shelter) in Largo, Florida where I spayed every morning for a week. They do not teach you, or supervise you. You have a table next to the other surgeon and they do not spay with a technique valid for CPE purposes (everyone knows shelter have their own ways), so if you go there make sure you know your ****, get practice in your country first and feel confident with your technique by looking for spay videos on youtube. SO because I did not have money to pay for a surgery course, what I did was that I did my first few spays in my country and practiced for 2-3 weeks and then contacted the vet at Pinellas County Animal Service and went there just before the test to practice high volume. I even asked them to just give me overweight dogs and big dogs like pits and german shepherds. Thats right, you want to take all the difficult spays so you can breeze thru it during the test :) heres a youtube video for a spay:

• b-I know 2 people that trained with Dr Kim at latitude vet 36 in NC for the large animal portions and they loved it! It was an intense week but they learned everything so I think it would be cool to do this course along with the Humane Alliance course since they are both in NC. Make sure you do your courses it 3-4 weeks before the test so its still fresh but there is still time to study more!
  • c- I also met a few people that went to San Diego to train at Bonita Pet all the small animal portions. It could be worth while if you are on this side of the country. I encourage to contact them ans see what they offer.
  • d- For necropsy section I have a video from the University of Guelph that if you do it exactly how they show you then you will do just fine even if you have not done a necropsy ever in your life! Its too big to post but try finding it online or if you have dropbox you could send me a folder to share. If you live near a shelter then contact them since they always have kittens or animals that were euthanized... perhaps they wont mind if you perform the necropsies.
  • e- I completed my Large animal training (both bovine and equine) at Tuskegee University. I contacted them explaining I wanted to perform an externship in Large Animal to prepare for the CPE. I went for a couple of weeks and did everything... They dont always offer such thing, i guess it depends how busy they are with their actual students... A few bad things from my experience: not all the teachers want to spend time with CPE students since they are busy with their own students so you waste a lot of time waiting for people to have time for you even when you are paying to be there! It can be very frustrating as there isnt a formal program, its just "whatever the day brings".. also they do not accomodate you at all! you would need to stay at a hotel and rent a car since the closest airport is Atlanta (about 2 hours away!) and there is not public transportation to get to the school and no hotels nearby so it can get quite expensive to go for more than a week! Also, if you train here you probably cannot take the CPE here or if you do then it has to be more than a year away. :S Now that I look back I would have gone to NC instead to do all my large animal training in 1 week (cause it can be done in that amount of time if its all day working instead of 2 hours per day for 2 weeks!)
  • f- In my experience the anesthesia portion was the most nerve wrecking cause they are asking you a lot of questions (in surgery you are just doing your thing and the examiner comes by to check on you from time to time). But they ask you everything that is on the manual so again, memorize it! You have to explain the machine, explain all your formulas (fluid rate, gas rate, oxygen rate, etc). Just try to do a lot of catheter placements, e-tube placements and anesthesia monitoring in the US since its hard to find a place that will let you do surgery but will probably let you do technician assignments like these. If you feel confident placing a catheter and an e-tube then you just need to study the formulas which you can get from any anesthesia book online (even the ones for vet techs). There are also a lot of cool videos on youtube explaining the machine :)

3-the Test:

I took it in Las Vegas, they offer it every month and the hotel is next to the center, they pick you up at the airport and breakfast and lunch are included. Is very easy to take it here cause everything is figured out. Everyone is very nice, you just need to know your thing and act confident even if you dont know what the hell you are saying :) I have heard that vegas is the toughest place, but I think the exam is pretty fair. I think because its the place that offers it the most with the highest amount of candidates taking it there then the chances of candidates failing and we hearing about it its also higher..... Just my thoughts though. :)

If you have any questions please ask thru here and if you already took and passed the CPE please share your experience and suggestions!
Good luck everyone!

Thank you very much.

1-Manual (the theory):

2- Training facilities:

3-the Test:

Good luck everyone!

Hi Maksara!
Thank you for sharing your experience! It means a lot!
I am taking the exam in Las Vegas this October(2015)

Hi I have a question about that new policy...
What dose that International jurisdiction? Can I get sign by my veterinarian boss in Korea? Or do I need to go thru someone else?
Hi, there.
You need your vet back home to write it in English. He needs to have a licence to work in Korea though, and he needs to fill his licence number.

Members don't see this ad :)
still struggling with Surgery exam, I passed all except surgery and it will be my last chance before full retake, any suggestion I do appreciate

still struggling with Surgery exam, I passed all except surgery and it will be my last chance before full retake, any suggestion I do appreciate
Well there is this video of one of the examiners from Las Vegas performing ovario-hysterectomy as part of veterinary conference. http://www.wvc.org/ There is also many lectures that could be useful although it is mainly for veterinarians who are already working. Fee is 20$ per month so I think is reasonable to see if it is going to help. On that video though there is only surgery no preparation of the dog or the surgeon.
Best of course is to do some surgeries somewhere.

Hi Everyone !

I hope it will encourage more people to come back to the forum after the exam and share the experience!

This is my CPE story:

I took CPE in November( Mississippi) for the first time and 3 weeks after got the results- passed it all ! (sorry for being late but I needed some time off of the vet stuff ;))

Well, I can not name many events in my life that were stressful like this,and that stress is the major challenge that this exam brings. Knowing yourself and mechanisms of dealing with your emotions in days like these will do half of a job. The other half is the exam itself and information you have to organize in your head-it is not that hard as it looks like :)
ABOUT the EXAM:
Do not let people scare you off :) Everyone's experience is different and stick to what you know and present it the best you can. Don't hate yourself because you couldn't see the obvious or couldn't remember the important thing- it will happen. It is normal to be nervous. It is impossible not to be...and they know that :) They are teachers working with the students every day,so, just people, not aliens, as I was imagining them :))))
MSU is a nice place to see :) They have capacity of 10 candidates so it is not crowded. It is well organized and the staff is very nice. You provide the hotel and transportation. They provide meals and everything else. I was there about 10 hours every day, so...find a way to sleep over night no matter what!
The examiners were as nice as they can. Some were so cold I wanted to escape the section, and some of them are so nice that I wish I could hug them(like everyone at radiography section or the guys at bovine techniques) and I was desperate to feel that human touch there :) but there is no any feedback during your talking so focus on the most important things and watch the time. Speak loud and clear and move on!

TIME and PREP:
Took me 4-5 months all together. I worked as a vet tech so I had an idea of small animal medicine and procedures.
First 2-3 MONTHS I was reading diseases from the list -The most common diagnoses and making my own notebook with major symptoms and differentials and most common therapy, nothing fancy. Just know the common drugs you can use, and tests you can ask for. I think I wasted too much time on all diseases and details, now I would focus onto most COMMON ones, things that jump on me when I think of the species. Also I tried to go through some general advises to the potential owner, like what will I tell them about nutrition,housing,stress etc. in a specific case.
The REST of the time I was going through the manual and learning techniques. Also I wrote everything down, every procedure. It helps if you keep it in order and memorize it.

FOOD ANIMALS:
MATERIALS I USED: NVMS book.Merck. Mr. Google...Cattle site for diseases is fine. Penn Videos and materials are a must! Youtube for techniques. One afternoon of a training at Lat36. That was helpful enough. I didn't even know to put the halter on a cow before that. A big thanks to nice farmers in Virginia :)It is encouraging to put the hands on the cow after a long time. Also for techniques- Large animal technique book has all you need. Google pictures of instruments that you will need. Also someone told me he went from farm to farm where ever there is a vet around and asked for few days of training and found it. So don't give up in looking for what you need.
Goats,Sheep- I downloaded a book from internet with most common diseases, Studied for a week. I found a great one on slideshare.net.
PROBLEM
with this section-Times flies when doing techniques! Start talking right away and start with the easiest one.I wanted to be so detailed with CMT that I spend half of a time on that. Wrong :)

EQUINE:
MY MATERIALS:
The BEST book I know of is "Manual of equine practice" by Rose and Hodgson, but it is expensive and I didn't have it so I used NVMS, Merck and Equine site mostly, but lots of other websites as well. Atlanta Equine Clinic website has a great educational library for most common conditions with a good explanation of therapies. So internet for diseases and therapies. Lat36 for experience :) Dr G. is wonderful teacher and since I have never been around horses a lot( being in a group at the lab in vet school is nothing) I really needed this to get familiar with routine stuff. And at that point, we all need a little bit of her encouraging energy that she shares, she could charge for that only :)))) So, my point is, stay enthusiastic and positive before and during the test :)
ON THE EXAM-Move on quickly in techniques! With lameness -trot the horse till you are sure which leg it is, don't assume. Ask everything you can think of in history. Ask for all diagnostic tests.
SMALL ANIMALS-
MATERIALS- Merck, NVMS, Nerd book is also cute and very useful.Bunch of good websites.Some technician book for techniques. Youtube and VETeLib.
EXAM That is the longest day,at the end of it when I was scheduled to do the case and s.o.a.p. I didn't know where I am any more :) The medical management case is nerve wrecking since s.o.a.p. takes a bunch of time so focus on the most important things. You can not write everything in the record, be selective.
RADIOLOGY-Super super nice examiner, I wish I can thank her for giving us that human touch on a stressful day. She made it a little easier :)Sources you used for studying for BCSE might help for settings and machine, if you need it, but if you passed NAVLE and done x-rays before, this shouldn't be a problem.
NECROPSY- I studied from the manual from UGA , has good pictures but probably not the best source out there, no videos. I also downloaded a Necropsy book pdf. And youtube is helpful for the heart details.If you are at the clinic or shelter, ask to do some necropsies. Finding tiny things might be tricky, such as thyroid,adrenal,thymus etc. when you get lost in all that tissue :)
SURGERY- Well...interesting. I've already said everything I knew about potential trainings before...Choices are poor for us in the US, but, as Maksara said, shelters are worth of trying. I asked few in the area and it didn't work, so I gave up on finding it in US...because the time was passing by and I had to plan everything else I took a trip to a clinic in Romania and I enjoyed it. They were wonderful,patient and provided plenty of patients per day.It is quite expensive to fly but,without other options at that point, it worked for me(Good side is that you can stop by home if you are from Europe somewhere :))
EXAM-It helped me to go through every little step in my head that I am going to do, right before entering a surgery room. That applies to anesthesia as well. Once you go in,your adrenalin kicks you so hard that you are not your very self :)Most of us had to do gloving and gowning few times because of being nervous and messing something up...that is fine,correct your mistake on time :)

ANESTHESIA :
MATERIALS: I studied from the book Anesthesia and analgesia for vet techs and went through it into details. Also consulted different vets about drugs and protocols and went to seminars about it. Also youtube.
EXAM This is a section where your stress can kick you out. To me, the most nervous moments were at the very beginning when gathering equipment and placing catheter, but after initial stress somehow I managed to act like I am in my normal clinic environment just chitchatting with other technician and all these people are there for someone else, I am just doing my job to take care of that sweet dog.I had complications but as long as you know how to fix them, you are good.Try to imagine it is just a regular day. You know the machine,she knows you :)
Learn all effect of potential anesthetics you are going to use, all complications and what to do when it happens. When it happens it is good to know why it happened :)

That's all, Folks !
Wish you all the best!
Good luck!

Hi Everyone !

This is my CPE story:

ABOUT the EXAM:

TIME and PREP:

FOOD ANIMALS:
PROBLEM

EQUINE:
MY MATERIALS:
SMALL ANIMALS-

ANESTHESIA :

That's all, Folks !
Wish you all the best!
Good luck!

I also taking my cpe at MSU. could you please give me your private id I have some questions to clarify. Or you can contact me at [email protected] Thank you.

Hi proudvet! Well, for the past several weeks I have been trying to find any surgical training program and I am coming to a dead end constantly :)
Humane Alliance in NC looked to me as the best way to go and I was hoping to go there but their next available spot is April 2015. Also they need you to get a temporary licence, which means to transfer your licence from any country in the world (as I have been told).
The shelter in Massachusetts is not doing training programs any more.
The programs at some universities are crazy expensive ($17-20 000) and registering time is a year ahead. So, at this point it seems impossible for me to find any hands-on surgical practice :)
Shelters are not very interested in our problems either :)
Sooooo... anyone knows any secret vet in ANY STATE who would help us poor people for reasonable money to get some dozen spays ? I would appreciate that information so much :)

Hi, 'Beovet'
I have a question to you.
You said that you were going to Humane Alliance in NC for hands on experience of small animal surgery and anesthesia.
When I visited the website, http://humanealliance.org/vet-training/faqs
It says
I am not currently licensed in the U.S. or Canada. Can I attend training?
Unfortunately, our Veterinarian Training Program is open ONLY to veterinarians licensed in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. :(

Hi Anyone has good idea about radiology section. I am trying to understand what they want us to do in the exam, but I could not get the complete picture. I guess there are two things we supposed to perform.
1. suspected condition will be given, we have to take a appropriate x-ray of particular joint/cavity
2. we have to select a setting for a particular exposure

Basically the second will be the same as first one except just take a picture of given position.

Any one has clear idea what exactly we have to do??

Hi Maksara!
Thank you for sharing your experience! It means a lot!
I am taking the exam in Las Vegas this October(2015)

Please share your experience with details!! I am sure everyone would appreciate any insight about it, thank you so much!

Hi Anyone has good idea about radiology section. I am trying to understand what they want us to do in the exam, but I could not get the complete picture. I guess there are two things we supposed to perform.
1. suspected condition will be given, we have to take a appropriate x-ray of particular joint/cavity
2. we have to select a setting for a particular exposure

Basically the second will be the same as first one except just take a picture of given position.

Any one has clear idea what exactly we have to do??

Hello, If i remember correctly, you go into the room and there is a dog already under anesthesia with its own vet tech monitoring. The examiner will tell you that it has cerain condition (he makes it up, the patient is healthy), so for example he can say "pneumothorax or ascites"... then you have to decide if you are taking chest or abdominal x-rays. Then you measure your cavity so you can calculate how many KVP or MAS you need and you put the setting into the machine. Then you proceed to position your patient in an adequate manner for VD and lateral projections with the appropriate landmarks (need to include the diaphragm, pelvis, your ventral and dorsal borders, etc). Take the x-rays, look at them to see if the exposure was adequate and if you think the x-ray is good enough to submit as your x-ray for the exam, if not, you can retake it!

I hope this helps!

Hello, If i remember correctly, you go into the room and there is a dog already under anesthesia with its own vet tech monitoring. The examiner will tell you that it has cerain condition (he makes it up, the patient is healthy), so for example he can say "pneumothorax or ascites"... then you have to decide if you are taking chest or abdominal x-rays. Then you measure your cavity so you can calculate how many KVP or MAS you need and you put the setting into the machine. Then you proceed to position your patient in an adequate manner for VD and lateral projections with the appropriate landmarks (need to include the diaphragm, pelvis, your ventral and dorsal borders, etc). Take the x-rays, look at them to see if the exposure was adequate and if you think the x-ray is good enough to submit as your x-ray for the exam, if not, you can retake it!

I hope this helps!

Hi Maksara, sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for your tips. It will be really helpful for the test.

I am keep getting questions while I prepare for the CPE. I have one more question, if you or someone can answer it. Regarding skin closure after spay, can I go with burried suture as shown in humane alliance video or do I have to close it by simple interrupted skin sutures. Please let me know. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Hi Maksara, sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for your tips. It will be really helpful for the test.

I am keep getting questions while I prepare for the CPE. I have one more question, if you or someone can answer it. Regarding skin closure after spay, can I go with burried suture as shown in humane alliance video or do I have to close it by simple interrupted skin sutures. Please let me know. Thanks a lot

Hmm that is a really good question... I dont think there is a determined protocol... The only important thing is that you clse your linea simple interrupted. I know some ppl that have done continuos in SC and then simple interrupted in skin OR simple continuos in SC and subcuticular in skin w/out external skin sutures. Just keep in mind to do what you feel confident with and what is the fastest to YOU, time flies by!

Thanks a lot! Actually that's where I really got confused. I read somewhere in a forum, could not remember where, someone mentioned that we have to do simple interrupted skin suture and not the burried type. I am not sure about that.
But I felt very comfortable with the following method. Cruciate for linea, continuous for subcutaneous and continue this with subdermal which bury the suture. this method was fast, and really neat. After I did this in few dogs I felt very confident, but I could not get rid of that question from my mind. Anyways thanks a lot.

Hi CPE Aspirants
We are a group of former ECFVG students who are at different stage of life, we own several hospitals in San Francisco Bay area.Just stumbled upon this site while looking to update my relatives son in preparation for CPE exam ,As far as small animal hand on practice is concerned, we are willing to help you, we can train you for CPE to the extent allowed by law.You are invited to stay with us for few weeks and learn things and if we get a good response we can formalize the training and we can assign mentor to students,We do have accommodation available upstairs for 4-5 people with all modern facilities, as this profession has given us so much we will charge you any thing for training or stay,Just buy your own food food,If anyone is in very tight financial situation we can try to help with flying cost too depending upon on circumstances on case to case basis.Only thing in return we want is good discipline and honest work ethics so that that our normal work routine is not disturbed.This can be an opportunity for us to give back to community.If anyone is interested please contact us at [email protected] and we can provide you with details and if this goes well we can arrange for equine and large animal training for CPE exam in future,Best of luck !

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone in NC-Raleigh area that would like to study together for the CPE?

Anyone in NC-Raleigh area that would like to study together for the CPE?
Hey lety201! I'm in SC but when do u take ur exam? I'd love to find people who are taking it around the same time!

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here, it helps a lot. I am currently preparing for CPE, it is scheduled for October 2016 in Las Vegas. I live in Los Angeles, and will be posting my questions as they come up :)
For now, what would be your advice on finding a large animal vet to shadow for few days. I have 3 kids, so there is no way I can get away to another state.

hey guys I am planning to start studying for the CPE I live in Fl if anybody is interested in sharing info or group to studying let me know.
I would like to do the test for the end of this year thanks

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here, it helps a lot. I am currently preparing for CPE, it is scheduled for October 2016 in Las Vegas. I live in Los Angeles, and will be posting my questions as they come up :)
For now, what would be your advice on finding a large animal vet to shadow for few days. I have 3 kids, so there is no way I can get away to another state.

hi,
thomas from toronto, I also preparing for the october 2016, would you mind to talk you about the strategies you follow for the exam. can you speak to you on skype or whats app or over phone. please leave me a message to my gmailID [email protected]

hey guys I am planning to start studying for the CPE I live in Fl if anybody is interested in sharing info or group to studying let me know.
hi,
Thomas here, please share your experience while studying, my mail iD is [email protected]. my exam date is in October 2016

hi,
thomas from toronto, I also preparing for the october 2016, would you mind to talk you about the strategies you follow for the exam. can you speak to you on skype or whats app or over phone. please leave me a message to my gmailID [email protected]

hi,
Hi there, I will be posting any useful info I find along the way and my study strategies here. Please share your strategies as well. If you have questions in the process I'll try to answer it.

Hello everyone, I am currently preparing for CPE and my exam is scheduled in Las Vegas, November 2016. I would welcome if anyone interested in group study. Thanks.

Hello,
I created a group on WhatsApp called CPE 2016, if you are scheduled to take the exam this year, or are thinking about taking the exam but hasn't scheduled it yet, or already took the exam and would like to be a part of the group please write in this post with your name and your cell phone so I can add you to the group. The goal is to help each other with resources, discuss our experiences etc. So far we are 3 on the group. I'm taking the exam in October. Thanks and good luck to all taking the exam! Also huge thanks to Maksara and Beovet for sharing in detail your experience and how you prepared, it was very helpful.

I hope this helps!
Hi Maksara, I also thought the explanation about the radiology section was confusing from the manual. Two things I wonder: do we need to be in the room during the time we are taking the x-ray (i.e., do we undergo ANY radiation exposure), I guess not since dog is under general but need to be sure, and do we have to tape the dog/cat on the table or just use sand bags? Thank you very much!

Hello,
I created a group on WhatsApp called CPE 2016, if you are scheduled to take the exam this year, or are thinking about taking the exam but hasn't scheduled it yet, or already took the exam and would like to be a part of the group please write in this post with your name and your cell phone so I can add you to the group. The goal is to help each other with resources, discuss our experiences etc. So far we are 3 on the group. I'm taking the exam in October. Thanks and good luck to all taking the exam! Also huge thanks to Maksara and Beovet for sharing in detail your experience and how you prepared, it was very helpful.

Anyone in MA preparing for CPE?

Hello,

Hello flyawaynow, I just downloaded WhatsApp, how do I join the group?

Hello everyone, I am currently preparing for CPE and my exam is scheduled in Las Vegas, November 2016. I would welcome if anyone interested in group study. Thanks.
Hello Kenama! My cpe is also scheduled in LV, November 2016. I am looking to find a study group in the New york/New jersey area or even via video call.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I am interested in the group on WhatsApp, CPE 2016.

Would you email me? My email address is [email protected]
I'll email back with my name and cell no, then. :)

To all who have taken CPE in Las Vegas :) Can you please share the diseases you've encountered, what clinical cases you or other people in your group were presented with. Thanks in advance :)

Hi Guys

Is anyone appearing for CPE in Sept 2016 in Las Vegas?

Last edited: