Training license situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metaform

Fellow, Hematology/Oncology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a US IMG, finished a residency this year in CT, and now starting Fellowship in NC. However the board asked me to explain "professional misconduct" my school reported. All they gave me was a range of dates I was suspended for which amounted to a couple of weeks at most, and this stuff went down almost 9 years ago. I went to school in an ultra conservative middle eastern country and recall being disciplined for showing PDA with a girlfriend. I honestly dont recall being penalized for "professional misconduct", and I explained this to the board. If I was aware, I would've declared the event as such.. It was basically a slap on the wrist.

Anyways I explained this to the board in an email. Now I get an e-mail back saying they're waiting for my university to provide documentation, which is fine. But it's really coming down to the wire and I'm supposed to start 7/1. Do training licenses really get denies for BS like this? I mean CT med board has not problem with me, my creds have been verified obviously through ecfmg, nrmp, eras, and CT Medical board. So I'm kind of worried I wont get my RTL in time for training. Will I lose my fellowship appointment for this?

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest issue the board has us that it appears to them that you covered it up.

It's unlikely your license will be denied for this but it could be significantly delayed. you need to be talking to your fellowship program director about this.

You will be fine. There will be a short delay but lets be honest, half the fellows in Illinois is delayed by a month regardless of PDA or not. It wont be out of the ordinary.

I've seen multiple fellows and residents delayed over the past few years it really no big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm a US IMG, finished a residency this year in CT, and now starting Fellowship in NC. However the board asked me to explain "professional misconduct" my school reported. All they gave me was a range of dates I was suspended for which amounted to a couple of weeks at most, and this stuff went down almost 9 years ago. I went to school in an ultra conservative middle eastern country and recall being disciplined for showing PDA with a girlfriend. I honestly dont recall being penalized for "professional misconduct", and I explained this to the board. If I was aware, I would've declared the event as such.. It was basically a slap on the wrist.

Anyways I explained this to the board in an email. Now I get an e-mail back saying they're waiting for my university to provide documentation, which is fine. But it's really coming down to the wire and I'm supposed to start 7/1. Do training licenses really get denies for BS like this? I mean CT med board has not problem with me, my creds have been verified obviously through ecfmg, nrmp, eras, and CT Medical board. So I'm kind of worried I wont get my RTL in time for training. Will I lose my fellowship appointment for this?
I had a friend who had a license delayed because the board decided to call a hearing where she had to appear before them to explain something along these lines. That took several weeks to schedule, and she didn't end up starting her program until it was cleared up in mid-August. It can be annoying because a delayed start can cause a delayed graduation, but otherwise shouldn't be a huge deal. You should email your new program coordinator and program director today to let them know of the possible delay just so they can work out whatever contingencies for the schedule they may need to.

(Technically speaking, if you arent able to start on time your program *could* fire you and be within their rights wrt the match. They would be morally and ethically wrong to do so IMO, and would put themselves in a bind to replace you, but it's technically legal.)

You will be fine. There will be a short delay but lets be honest, half the fellows in Illinois is delayed by a month regardless of PDA or not. It wont be out of the ordinary.

I've seen multiple fellows and residents delayed over the past few years it really no big deal.

Nevermind that the OP is going to North Carolina, not Illinois, but I'm not sure how much insight a pre-podiatrist has in this matter...

Reactions: 2 users
As others have pointed out, this could end in lots of different ways. You could get your license in short order and start. It could get dragged on for weeks or months, especially if your school doesn't respond in a timely fashion. It might require a full board review, which in some states only happens once per month (and you might need to wait a few months to get on the schedule). You might need to appear before the board to explain it. And your program might decide to interpret your omission of this from your application as a serious problem.

At this point, all you can do is try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, and apologize as profusely as possible. Plus, you might also want to budget for being unemployed for 4-8 weeks. A health insurance gap of less than 90 days can be covered with COBRA retroactively if needed.

As mentioned, make sure your PD is in the loop.

As others have pointed out, this could end in lots of different ways. You could get your license in short order and start. It could get dragged on for weeks or months, especially if your school doesn't respond in a timely fashion. It might require a full board review, which in some states only happens once per month (and you might need to wait a few months to get on the schedule). You might need to appear before the board to explain it. And your program might decide to interpret your omission of this from your application as a serious problem.

At this point, all you can do is try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, and apologize as profusely as possible. Plus, you might also want to budget for being unemployed for 4-8 weeks. A health insurance gap of less than 90 days can be covered with COBRA retroactively if needed.

As mentioned, make sure your PD is in the loop.

I asked my program coordinator what to do next. She got in touch with the Board who encouraged me to get in touch with my school - which I will obviously do ASAP. The crappy thing is apparently the board sent an email days ago and no one notified me of my school dragging their feet or even that a communication was made.

Also asked the coordinator if I need to email the PD. She didn't comment on that at all. Should I bypass her and just email the PD directly about the situation? I'm in uncharted here fellas. Wtf *smh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my program coordinator what to do next. She got in touch with the Board who encouraged me to get in touch with my school - which I will obviously do ASAP. The crappy thing is apparently the board sent an email days ago and no one notified me of my school dragging their feet or even that a communication was made.

Also asked the coordinator if I need to email the PD. She didn't comment on that at all. Should I bypass her and just email the PD directly about the situation? I'm in uncharted here fellas. Wtf *smh*

If the PC knows, then I suspect the PD knows.

Reactions: 1 user
If the PC knows, then I suspect the PD knows.

I think that's obvious. But what's the protocol here do I reach out to this PD? I've met the person once.

I think that's obvious. But what's the protocol here do I reach out to this PD? I've met the person once.

Email them both just with an update to the situation, emphasizing what you've done so far to try and get this resolved. They should be aware.

Update:

I talked to my fellowship coordinator and the GME coordinator, and both have assured me that they're on top of the situation and that this is not unusual for RTLs to be delayed by several weeks even. What they typically do is usually switch you to a non-clinical rotation (?idk wth that means) or worst case scenario you can shadow until it goes through. They reassured my PD is always an advocate for us, but this situation is relatively routine and I should not bother him about it. So... I'm kind of breathing a sigh of relief. Also of the 3 fellows applying for RTLs - none of our licenses have come in yet. So I'm not alone!

Reactions: 4 users
Update:

So after a great many cryptic and ambiguous emails by the board...they emailed the other day in the morning that I should be approved but it may take up to a week (delaying my start date).

1 hour later they email me saying I'm approved and sent my license to GME. Seriously? Wtf. This was as opaque a process as it can get. It's like they intentionally want you to **** yourself for weeks for no good reason.

Also GME was awesome and had my back the whole way. Turns out I picked he right program, woohoo

Reactions: 2 users