Tox job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the job market like for toxicologists? Do you find that the training does more to help you stand above the crowd in tough markets or does more to limit the number of potential employers because of a lack of interest in supporting your non-ED work? I'm interested in eventually working in academic EM doing toxicology research and education along with some shifts in the ED.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the job market like for toxicologists? Do you find that the training does more to help you stand above the crowd in tough markets or does more to limit the number of potential employers because of a lack of interest in supporting your non-ED work? I'm interested in eventually working in academic EM doing toxicology research and education along with some shifts in the ED.

It doesn't limit the potential employers, as you're still an EP.

However, you did hit the nail on the head - not all employers will value/support toxicology. The revenue stream can be finicky and may not fully support the non-ED time. As such, you need to have a director with vision and buy-in.

In an academic shop, though, this is usually a non-issue as publishing, lectures, and consultation are part & parcel of your "academic time." This can help you immensely in tight markets, as it gives you a way in.

Cheers!
-d

As a graduating PharmD, I have a quick sidebar question:

If you have a ABAT certified PharmD working under you, can you bill their services "incident to" your own or do you have to go see the patient yourself in order to bill for the encounter?

Not sure if you have any experience with this, but thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a graduating PharmD, I have a quick sidebar question:

If you have a ABAT certified PharmD working under you, can you bill their services "incident to" your own or do you have to go see the patient yourself in order to bill for the encounter?

Not sure if you have any experience with this, but thought I would ask.

Thanks!
From my understanding, yes. They can also bill separately at a decreased reimbursement (analogous to APNs in the ED) as they're credentialed to provide toxicological services at my institution... this may not be the case everywhere.

That being said, my hospital's DABAT primarily covers our teaching service for rounds only as he's busy with other duties (runs the residency programs).

Cheers!
-d

The job market is going to be different depending on where you are and where you train. If you are a strong fellow and the timing is right, you might find yourself staying at your training program. Having recently done the job search looking for EM/Tox academic jobs, I would say a lot of places were excited to have me and were willing to support my tox endeavors in various ways. One large academic/community hospital was willing to let me pick my FTE (full time equivalence) and fill in the rest with tox consultation. Another place wanted me to be the tox director for the regional health system. I would say with tox training you go to the top of the pile when it comes to EM jobs. Shops with tox fellowships may be saturated though, so keep that in mind.

Hey, all. Wanted to revisit this topic. How feasible is a full-time tox gig if you're willing to accept a lower salary? How feasible is working part-time as an academic toxicologist and part-time in the community? Anyone familiar with the tox/EM market in Canada?

Both are feasible depending on the group & what they want/need or can support. The former, in my experience, has someone fall in with an occupational group or industrial employment (though there are a few independent tox shops, such as in Denver); while the latter isn't uncommon (my first job was 50/50::academic/community).

Can't speak to the Great White North, though.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium