This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tourocom vs RVCOM masters!?!

• Tourocom MSBS

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • RVCOM MSBS

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

travlovhenmed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a 1 yr masters program and just wanted your feedback on which in your opinion is better. I'm currently looking at Tourocom and Rocky vista. I'm mostly interested in these two because they don't require you to retake the mcat. (However, feel free to suggest any other similar program. I'm open to any as long as I don't have to retake the mcat lol) Both are osteopathic schools. and both are bridge linkages into their DO program.

Tourocom:
-top 35 students get in if you maintain a 3.5 and pass a comprehensive exam
-no need to retake mcat or apply through accomas
My only concern about this program is the grading system which is really weird, and I've heard students are graded against each other. (If anyone has any further information about this grading system, I would highly appreciate your input!!)

RVCOM:
-just need recc of director and as long as doing well in classes: will be able to move on into the DO program.
-no min gpa just do well overall-also volunteer shadow as part of it
-only interview once so not for entry in DO
Having said that I've heard some not so good things about RVCOM which I'm thinking is because they're fairly new. They just started their masters program about a year ago and I hear they don't have a set curriculum.
-----------
I just need help deciding between the two. Any help or feedback on your end would be highly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Look, if you want the best chance of getting into ANY medical school, your best bet is to retake the damn mcat and do an MBS or post-bacc. For most, the 1 year SMPs are too good to be true. Being a top student in a cutthroat SMP is much easier said than done.

From what I've seen though, the SMP students at Touro are miserable.

I'm interested in doing a 1 yr masters program and just wanted your feedback on which in your opinion is better. I'm currently looking at Tourocom and Rocky vista. I'm mostly interested in these two because they don't require you to retake the mcat. (However, feel free to suggest any other similar program. I'm open to any as long as I don't have to retake the mcat lol) Both are osteopathic schools. and both are bridge linkages into their DO program.

Tourocom:
My only concern about this program is the grading system which is really weird, and I've heard students are graded against each other. (If anyone has any further information about this grading system, I would highly appreciate your input!!)

RVCOM:
-just need recc of director and as long as doing well in classes: will be able to move on into the DO program.
Having said that I've heard some not so good things about RVCOM which I'm thinking is because they're fairly new. They just started their masters program about a year ago and I hear they don't have a set curriculum.
-----------
I just need help deciding between the two. Any help or feedback on your end would be highly appreciated!!!
RVCOM does not have a guaranteed linkage to their DO program. About 50% of their first MSBMS class made it in. There have been some RVCOM MSBMS students on SDN disparaging the program, do a search. Also, just as another caveat, Denver is becoming a very expensive place to live on a student's budget. Use the search function on SDN and you will get the info. that you need to make an informed decision. One last thought, I believe RVCOM has an MCAT average around 29 or so. If you are not a good standardized test taker, that will not work in your favor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
RVCOM does not have a guaranteed linkage to their DO program. About 50% of their first MSBMS class made it in. There have been some RVCOM MSBMS students on SDN disparaging the program, do a search. Also, just as another caveat, Denver is becoming a very expensive place to live on a student's budget. Use the search function on SDN and you will get the info. that you need to make an informed decision. One last thought, I believe RVCOM has an MCAT average around 29 or so. If you are not a good standardized test taker, that will not work in your favor.

I see your Denver and raise you one Manhattan.

Reactions: 4 users
Look into the LECOM and VCOM postbaccs. They have a guaranteed linkage should you get a certain GPA in their respective programs and not bomb the interview.

Read a lot of bad things about the RVU program on the forums here so it might not be the best choice. Read the specific threads for more details. Seems like it was a program that promised a lot of things, but quickly got a change in the program director (the new one being awful) and only half the class got accepted after promising they had a spot for everyone at the beginning should they perform well.

Supposedly BCOM's program also has guaranteed acceptance should you get a certain GPA but that program is pretty new too.

If you have a decent MCAT/GPA combo, you can shoot for MD SMPs too!

Tourocom:

RVCOM:
-----------

Previous TouroCOM Master's student here.

This is my advice, take it with a grain of salt and weigh your options based on your own personal circumstances.

If I were you, I would stay away from Touro unless you are doing it to gain experience and not just admission. With a lot of courses, what you are taught can sometimes be inconsistent with what you are tested on. People that are able to do well typically have a very strong science background along with help from previous master's students.

The grading works on a standard deviation. With every test, if you earn the class average that is a B+, and a full standard deviation above is an A. At least that is what we are told. But in the end, the standard deviation can be altered to weed people out in my opinion. But I digress.

An upside to even getting a Master's degree is an upper hand on the courses when you do make it into medical school. I personally am glad I did it because I was certainly lacking a lot of the science courses that you are given your first year.

In the end, it's up to you. Good luck with your decision.

Hi- previous master's student from TouroCOM Harlem who got accepted into the DO program. The program is tough, but definitely doable. I did not have a strong science background ( undergrad major in psychology) but I studied a lot and made it. The most difficult thing I would say is figuring out how you learn and what works best for you. You are graded against one another which makes the program difficult and stressful. Like Dr. Basketball said, previous master's students can help you especially with resources they used as well as encouragement (it can be exhausting so its important to have support). If you do decide to do the program, feel free to message me and I'll answer any additional questions you may have. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
I know there were a lot of poor reviews from the RVU MSBS but they have a new director that is a GREAT instructor. She teaches Immunology for the DO students and I really enjoyed her. I really think she can change the program around.

Hi- previous master's student from TouroCOM Harlem who got accepted into the DO program. The program is tough, but definitely doable. I did not have a strong science background ( undergrad major in psychology) but I studied a lot and made it. The most difficult thing I would say is figuring out how you learn and what works best for you. You are graded against one another which makes the program difficult and stressful. Like Dr. Basketball said, previous master's students can help you especially with resources they used as well as encouragement (it can be exhausting so its important to have support). If you do decide to do the program, feel free to message me and I'll answer any additional questions you may have. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your input! I chose Touro middleotwn and I am extremely nervous since I've heard mixed reviews about it. But I'll just do it and hope for the best since nothing is guaranteed at the other master programs either. Also, I think 50% matriculating into the DO class is a good amount. I just have to prepare myself for a year of nonstop studying.
I think I'm more nervous because sometimes you are tested above and beyond what you study. That's what makes it hard if you don't see the results even after putting in the effort. Do you think that is the case with touro? Or will we be good as long as we study for the exam and memorize everything? (If you know what I mean)

Thank you so much for your input! I chose Touro middleotwn and I am extremely nervous since I've heard mixed reviews about it. But I'll just do it and hope for the best since nothing is guaranteed at the other master programs either. Also, I think 50% matriculating into the DO class is a good amount. I just have to prepare myself for a year of nonstop studying.
I think I'm more nervous because sometimes you are tested above and beyond what you study. That's what makes it hard if you don't see the results even after putting in the effort. Do you think that is the case with touro? Or will we be good as long as we study for the exam and memorize everything? (If you know what I mean)

Just go in there and work hard. Worrying and stressing now does nothing. Enjoy your summer.

Hi it's okay to be nervous! Just try your best and keep working hard. Always stay positive and determined to succeed. It is a year of non-stop studying but its important to take breaks too, especially after exam days, where it good to take a few hours off to unwind. I don't think that you are tested above and beyond what you study. The exams are tough, but if you do the lectures and read the textbook (for some classes :p) and understand the material (especially for physiology) you should be okay. Memorizing is okay for some classes like anatomy lab exams but, its more important to understand rather than memorize because for you have to be able to put concepts together. Like I was saying in my earlier post, the hardest thing is to figure out how you learn: whether that's doing the lectures, reading the text and using other resources like BRS (Board review series- I used this for anatomy) or a combination of resources.

Hi it's okay to be nervous! Just try your best and keep working hard. Always stay positive and determined to succeed. It is a year of non-stop studying but its important to take breaks too, especially after exam days, where it good to take a few hours off to unwind. I don't think that you are tested above and beyond what you study. The exams are tough, but if you do the lectures and read the textbook (for some classes :p) and understand the material (especially for physiology) you should be okay. Memorizing is okay for some classes like anatomy lab exams but, its more important to understand rather than memorize because for you have to be able to put concepts together. Like I was saying in my earlier post, the hardest thing is to figure out how you learn: whether that's doing the lectures, reading the text and using other resources like BRS (Board review series- I used this for anatomy) or a combination of resources.
OK thanks so much!! I feel much better now!

Touro is more well established. I don't like either, but in this case go with the more established program.

Either way, you MUST crush it.

is there a minimum grade needed for the Mcat to be accepted to the masters program? Im scheduled to take my mcat september 1, but I don't think I've studied enough. So I might take it January. there should be seats available if I apply in February?

is there a minimum grade needed for the Mcat to be accepted to the masters program? Im scheduled to take my mcat september 1, but I don't think I've studied enough. So I might take it January. there should be seats available if I apply in February?
Hmm not sure about a minimum grade for the program. If there is, they haven't explicitly stated it. I believe they are accepting apps until April, so if you apply Feb, you should be okay. I think I applied less than a week before the deadline ( I found out about the program late) and made it, so anything is possible. Good luck on your MCAT!

Sent you a private message