TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm supposed to make a decision at Middletown by tomorrow, but I'm honestly waiting to hear back from a school in my state.

Is it possible to later withdraw my acceptance?
you can accept the seat. My year didn't require a cash deposit. If you end up going to Middletown, you just need to pay the tuition before the first day of class ( first week of August).

I would accept and wait for your other responses. If you get into something else, then don't go to middletown.

MAKE SURE TO CALL and check if there is a cash deposit for middletown this year tho

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed most of this thread is about Middletown and Harlem Masters even though the title says TouroCom Masters which means CA and NV as well. Any current or past student from TUN?

I'm curious about acceptance to Middletown COM and MCAT. My MCAT is a very low 487, but it doesn't seem like it's a requirement to be accepted to the medical school (only the GPA and comprehensive exam matter). Do students need a better MCAT to be accepted Middletown COM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about acceptance to Middletown COM and MCAT. My MCAT is a very low 487, but it doesn't seem like it's a requirement to be accepted to the medical school (only the GPA and comprehensive exam matter). Do students need a better MCAT to be accepted Middletown COM?

Are you referring to the DO program or the MS program at Middletown?

Are you referring to the DO program or the MS program at Middletown?

In the acceptance packet for Middletown MS, it says that acceptance to the DO program is contingent on being top 35 in the class, a GPA of 3.5, and passing the comprehensive exam. Does that mean the MCAT is not regarded for admission to the DO program?

In the acceptance packet for Middletown MS, it says that acceptance to the DO program is contingent on being top 35 in the class, a GPA of 3.5, and passing the comprehensive exam. Does that mean the MCAT is not regarded for admission to the DO program?

Once you're in the Masters program, everything except your Masters GPA is irrelevant. So you don't have to worry about MCAT, volunteering, etc. However, as has been posted by myself and several others in this thread, getting the automatic acceptance is easier said than done. So you should have a very good reason why your MCAT is so low, because if you do poorly in the Masters (which a neutral observer would probably predict based on your MCAT, no offense intended), then your chances at Touro or anywhere else in the US are probably finished.

Once you're in the Masters program, everything except your Masters GPA is irrelevant. So you don't have to worry about MCAT, volunteering, etc. However, as has been posted by myself and several others in this thread, getting the automatic acceptance is easier said than done. So you should have a very good reason why your MCAT is so low, because if you do poorly in the Masters (which a neutral observer would probably predict based on your MCAT, no offense intended), then your chances at Touro or anywhere else in the US are probably finished.

Have any students taken an MCAT course during the program?

To be honest I have no idea, but I would strongly suggest NOT to do anything related to the MCAT during the program. If you're in the program then you should be all in and focus ALL of your efforts toward it (because that's what everyone else is going to be doing and you have to remember they are your competition!).

If you are accepted into the MS program that makes that your MCAT is good enough. So, once accepted into the MS program just focus on GPA.

YEAH! and none of them got the 3.5 GPA.

If you are going to study use the next 6 weeks before class starts to study. 3 practice exams a week and take the MCAT now.

I got into both Harlem and Middletown but after reading everything on SDN I don't know what I should do. There seems to be a lot of advice against doing either of these programs. I want to wait and see what other programs I get into, but I only have a week to make my decision about Touro. Is anyone else trying to figure out whether to accept or not? And if you've already made your decision, what did you choose?

I'm starting Touro middletown MS program in July and am extremely nervous about it. What program did you end up choosing??

I'm starting Touro middletown MS program in July and am extremely nervous about it. What program did you end up choosing??

I was also super nervous about Touro but I ended up getting into medical school this round so I turned down my seat. But I think I would have chosen middletown since there would be less distractions and more time to study.

Did anyone hear anything about Orientation week? I was told it would be next week, but have no idea what days and times I will be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applied while taking a pre-req class?!
The deadline is on April 1...
I am taking physics 2 spring 2018 and same time applying for this MS program., I finish physics 2 on May. So I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply or not.

Did anyone hear anything about Orientation week? I was told it would be next week, but have no idea what days and times I will be there.
Check your email. Also they posted the schedule on the facebook page

Is it worth applying to the MS program with a sub 3.0/do they automatically reject anyone with below a 3.0? Appreciate the help in advance!

Is it worth applying to the MS program with a sub 3.0/do they automatically reject anyone with below a 3.0? Appreciate the help in advance!
I know they screen for GPA but i forgot the cut-off. You can call them and ask them for the cut-off and if they would consider you as an applicant

A final few pieces of advice or points of interest:

You should apply to medical school before doing this program or work on your application right after starting. I would personally recommend not even attempting to do this program unless you have attempted to apply through AACOMAS and have been rejected. Why waste a year of your life when you could have gotten into medical school on the first try?

This is not a program for boosting your GPA. There are other programs out there that are cheaper and meant for doing just that and might give you a better chance of eventually getting into medical school.

This program is through Touro College and not TouroCOM. This is not TouroCOM's master's program, despite the title on the thread. Your transcript and diploma will have Touro College on it. We are taught by the same faculty and pretty much take the same classes with some exceptions. But, you will not be a

I just have a general question. How is the schedule for the program. Do the classes end by 2pm or 3 pm. I'm just curious because I work.

I just have a general question. How is the schedule for the program. Do the classes end by 2pm or 3 pm. I'm just curious because I work.
You can't work in this program. It's medical school. You take same classes and exams as DO students except OMM and physical diagnosis. If you wanna work then this ain't for you.

You can't work in this program. It's medical school. You take same classes and exams as DO students except OMM and physical diagnosis. If you wanna work then this ain't for you.
Thank you for the prompt response. This was just a simple question that required a simple answer. I don't really understand the hostility. It's okay, someone from the school directly responded to my question.

Hey guys can someone help me with a quick question..
-Is MCAT score required for acceptance at Tourocom NY MS program ?!

Hey guys can someone help me with a quick question..
-Is MCAT score required for acceptance at Tourocom NY MS program ?!

Yes. You can look on their website for a complete list of requirements!

Hi everyone. I'm going to be taking the mcat in march but the results won't be back until May 1. Do you think that would be an issue? Im going to try to take it in jan if i feel prepared enough. I emailed the admissions counselor and she told me there is no required min mcat score and that Im welcomed to apply without my mcat score, and once my mcat score is in my app will be complete. I feel like the mcat score is not that important for this program?

Hi everyone. I'm going to be taking the mcat in march but the results won't be back until May 1. Do you think that would be an issue? Im going to try to take it in jan if i feel prepared enough. I emailed the admissions counselor and she told me there is no required min mcat score and that Im welcomed to apply without my mcat score, and once my mcat score is in my app will be complete. I feel like the mcat score is not that important for this program?
you need an mcat score to be considered for this program. If you don't give them a score, they will not look at your app because it is not technically complete. Note that the final decision is not completely based on your score, but score does matter

you need an mcat score to be considered for this program. If you don't give them a score, they will not look at your app because it is not technically complete. Note that the final decision is not completely based on your score, but score does matter

i see. thank you

Hi I just have a general question. For the touro masters, would I be able to take out a loan to attend the school? Also how much is the summer anatomy? Could I take a loan for that as well? Also how many students in harlem get into the DO program? Thanks in advance!

You can take loans for the program.
You cannot take loans for summer anatomy
Top 35 gets in irrespective of the number that starts.

Does anyone know if -Is it too late to take the mcat on March?! The website states deadline is on March 15 :( Unfortunately the result are available on May..I really want to apply but the mcat is bothering me and I'm not ready to take it this January either.

Hey Everyone, new on this subforum!

So i heard someone say that the books are free, yet on the website books and supplies are 1.1K per semester?

Can someone clarify that for me?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if -Is it too late to take the mcat on March?! The website states deadline is on March 15 :( Unfortunately the result are available on May..I really want to apply but the mcat is bothering me and I'm not ready to take it this January either.

You can submit your MCAT scores after the deadline as long as they are in before the start of the semester. I emailed them last year and was told to send my scores in as soon as they were released but also notify the admissions office that you are submitting an app and will be taking the exam in March/scores won’t be released until May.

You can submit your MCAT scores after the deadline as long as they are in before the start of the semester. I emailed them last year and was told to send my scores in as soon as they were released but also notify the admissions office that you are submitting an app and will be taking the exam in March/scores won’t be released until May.

Were you accepted before they saw your Mcat results?

Can someone who's completed this program provide some input? Do you think its worth it to take a chance with this masters or apply to a caribbean medical school instead? Im seriously thinking about starting at SGU in August bc I don't want to waste any more time.

Can someone who's completed this program provide some input? Do you think its worth it to take a chance with this masters or apply to a caribbean medical school instead? Im seriously thinking about starting at SGU in August bc I don't want to waste any more time.

I'm currently in the program right now. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that you do this program before going to SGU. A shot at a US medical school, regardless of where you go in the country will open up more doors to you than going abroad. I would also apply to medical school while you're in the program.

I'm currently in the program right now. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that you do this program before going to SGU. A shot at a US medical school, regardless of where you go in the country will open up more doors to you than going abroad. I would also apply to medical school while you're in the program.

Initially I was excited about this program but learning about the grading system got me bit worried. I know someone who was successful in the program, she transitioned into second year classes after the masters course. Which campus are you enrolled in?

Initially I was excited about this program but learning about the grading system got me bit worried. I know someone who was successful in the program, she transitioned into second year classes after the masters course. Which campus are you enrolled in?

If your backup is SGU, then I would do to the MS program first. If your back up is to enroll in other medical schools in the country AFTER the program if you don't make the GPA cut, then I would say think twice. I remember after the first round of exams, one of the professors projected that ~15/60 kids would make the cut. That would mean that ~75% of the class would be walking out of the program with a GPA <3.45. Just something to think about when making your decision. With that said, as long as you are on top of your material and have a working knowledge of the information, you should be good to go! It's a really good program to get your feet wet and see if you can handle the coursework(Better to know a year in). You should also consider talking to the program advisors and coordinators if you're on the fence as they're very receptive to hear from prospective candidates and will be honest to let you know if this program is for you or not. Best of luck!

Last edited:
If your backup is SGU, then I would do to the MS program first. If your back up is to enroll in other medical schools in the country AFTER the program if you don't make the GPA cut, then I would say think twice. I remember after the first round of exams, one of the professors projected that ~15/60 kids would make the cut. That would mean that ~75% of the class would be walking out of the program with a GPA <3.45. Just something to think about when making your decision. With that said, as long as you are on top of your material and have a working knowledge of the information, you should be good to go!

Did you apply via aacomas? Have you been accepted to Touro or elsewhere?

Did you apply via aacomas? Have you been accepted to Touro or elsewhere?

Yes to both, which is why I strongly urge people to apply while doing the program. The professors and program coordinators will tell you the same throughout the year, but I don't think many people in my class applied outside. Right now, I can recall 3 others doing the same from my class.

Reactions: 1 users
If your backup is SGU, then I would do to the MS program first. If your back up is to enroll in other medical schools in the country AFTER the program if you don't make the GPA cut, then I would say think twice. I remember after the first round of exams, one of the professors projected that ~15/60 kids would make the cut. That would mean that ~75% of the class would be walking out of the program with a GPA <3.45. Just something to think about when making your decision. With that said, as long as you are on top of your material and have a working knowledge of the information, you should be good to go! It's a really good program to get your feet wet and see if you can handle the coursework(Better to know a year in). You should also consider talking to the program advisors and coordinators if you're on the fence as they're very receptive to hear from prospective candidates and will be honest to let you know if this program is for you or not. Best of luck!

Yes thats what Im concerned about, leaving the program with a not so great gpa. I'm planning to apply via aacomas in June this cycle. How's it been for your class, are people struggling to maintain the gpa? Is one campus easier than the other? thanks for the help

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after an interview?
Interviewed around Christmas time and have not heard back as of yet.

I heard the committee is meeting today.

Any chance for low MCAT to be accepted to their masters? I have high GPA and good EC's.

Also -- how long after the interview do they take to make decisions in regards to their master's program?

Any chance for low MCAT to be accepted to their masters? I have high GPA and good EC's.

Also -- how long after the interview do they take to make decisions in regards to their master's program?

I'd guess that you have a chance. However, I would encourage you to really weigh the risk/reward of this program vs retaking the MCAT. This is a $50k+ program which is highly competitive. If you don't make the cut (top 35 students with >3.5 gpa) you will have to apply to other programs anyway...how will they look at your app with low MCAT and middling SMP performance?

On the other hand, pushing up your MCAT could be a $1k-5k expenditure (accounting for lost time due to studying, study materials, etc). If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider a retake. SMPs, in my limited experience, are better suited to folks who have GPA issues.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd guess that you have a chance. However, I would encourage you to really weigh the risk/reward of this program vs retaking the MCAT. This is a $50k+ program which is highly competitive. If you don't make the cut (top 35 students with >3.5 gpa) you will have to apply to other programs anyway...how will they look at your app with low MCAT and middling SMP performance?

On the other hand, pushing up your MCAT could be a $1k-5k expenditure (accounting for lost time due to studying, study materials, etc). If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider a retake. SMPs, in my limited experience, are better suited to folks who have GPA issues.

Thanks so much for the input :)

Accepted right along with you.

Was about a month +/- a week.

It took me one week from interview. I think it just depends on when the committee meets and how close you interview to that date. The program coordinators that I've spoken with at Middletown are exceedingly nice, supportive and helpful.

preccmed, do you think you will attend? barring an acceptance from a waitlist I will be there for sure.

It took me one week from interview. I think it just depends on when the committee meets and how close you interview to that date. The program coordinators that I've spoken with at Middletown are exceedingly nice, supportive and helpful.

preccmed, do you think you will attend? barring an acceptance from a waitlist I will be there for sure.
Yes, I’ll most definitely be attending.

Hey guys just applied to Tourocom middletown campus and had a few questions. First I have 3.4 sgpa and 3.2cgpa. Been out of school for about 3 years but been doing some volunteering and shadowing. Recently took the mcat as well and got a 503 sadly. Do I have a decent chance of getting in to this program?

Now these next question pertain to the program its self assuming one is in. Is it hard to maintain lets say a 3.8 gpa or something in this program if all you do is study and do not do anything else?