TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Awesome. So I'm assuming you were one of the students who was offered a seat in Touro's COM? What was your overall GPA in the masters program? Do you mind if you tell me more in detail about what your studying was like and if you have any particular studying tips? I tried to message you, but idk how haha
Also, I was informed by the MS Program Coordinator that there is a mentorship program for MS students. Did you find it helpful?
Yeah, I'll message you about my GPA and what I did to be successful. As far as the mentorship program, I did find it helpful. I did not have much in the way of study skills when I got here and talking to my mentor as well as other previous masters students was helpful in figuring out how I should be working.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'll message you about my GPA and what I did to be successful. As far as the mentorship program, I did find it helpful. I did not have much int he way of study skills when I got here and talking to my mentor as well as other previous masters students was helpful in figuring out how I should be working.
Add me to it please. I will like to know how you became successful

Scheduled for an interview for the Harlem campus on April 19th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Scheduled for an interview for the Harlem campus on April 19th!
Same! I was willing to fly up for an interview too to make a good impression....however after reading this thread I am a bit (super) scared.

Same! I was willing to fly up for an interview too to make a good impression....however after reading this thread I am a bit (super) scared.
Hi heartofadoc! My intention was really not to intimidate anyone, but to give you a heads up on what to expect. Yes, this program is very competitive, but its doable, especially if you're in Harlem lol! Don't be afraid to give yourself the chance, because you might regret it! My point was, make sure to retake the MCAT and apply to other schools before starting the program, if the MCAT is your only impediment. If you play your cards right, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to matriculate into the DO program. Just make sure to constantly be in touch with your mentors because they will be extremely helpful. If you need help, ask, and most importantly, do not tackle this alone! Try to find people whom you trust, and study in a group.

Hi heartofadoc! My intention was really not to intimidate anyone, but to give you a heads up on what to expect. Yes, this program is very competitive, but its doable, especially if you're in Harlem lol! Don't be afraid to give yourself the chance, because you might regret it! My point was, make sure to retake the MCAT and apply to other schools before starting the program, if the MCAT is your only impediment. If you play your cards right, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to matriculate into the DO program. Just make sure to constantly be in touch with your mentors because they will be extremely helpful. If you need help, ask, and most importantly, do not tackle this alone! Try to find people whom you trust, and study in a group.
Thank you for following up I really appreciate it! So the impression that I had from all these posts was that even if you attend this program, give it your all (5-10hrs studying a day, using effective study methods), do as well as many of the medical students, you may still likely not to matriculate into TCOM, because your peers are just better at retaining info. Also I fear coming out of this program with something like a 3.4. How will that look applying to other DO schools? My problem isn't MCAT (I mean I don't think it is i have a 507, but I'm starting to fear that's not high enough). My problem is GPA....

Again, I really really appreciate you sharing all this information.

Thank you for following up I really appreciate it! So the impression that I had from all these posts was that even if you attend this program, give it your all (5-10hrs studying a day, using effective study methods), do as well as many of the medical students, you may still likely not to matriculate into TCOM, because your peers are just better at retaining info. Also I fear coming out of this program with something like a 3.4. How will that look applying to other DO schools? My problem isn't MCAT (I mean I don't think it is i have a 507, but I'm starting to fear that's not high enough). My problem is GPA....

Again, I really really appreciate you sharing all this information.
No problem! Your MCAT can definitely get you into multiple schools! If your gpa is the issue, I think other master's programs would be less stressful, and easier to perform very well in. However, if you do decide to come to Touro, and end up with a 3.4 for example, and apply to other schools as well, Touro will let other schools know that the classes are graded on a B+ curve. The averages for some exams are crazy high, that you can still end up with a B+, while if you were in the DO class, it would've been an A, so Touro takes that into account and informs other schools regarding this issue. Another thing, you're not taking any courses, you are taking the same exact courses as the medical students, excluding PD and OMM, so technically, you're taking first year medical school courses, which means that its definitely tougher to get an overall high gpa in, as opposed to any other master's/postbac programs. For the DO's getting a 3.0 or above is honors! So if you get a 3.4 overall in the master's program, even though its not enough to make the cutoff, but its pretty darn good considering that you are taking medical school courses! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

No problem! Your MCAT can definitely get you into multiple schools! If your gpa is the issue, I think other master's programs would be less stressful, and easier to perform very well in. However, if you do decide to come to Touro, and end up with a 3.4 for example, and apply to other schools as well, Touro will let other schools know that the classes are graded on a B+ curve. The averages for some exams are crazy high, that you can still end up with a B+, while if you were in the DO class, it would've been an A, so Touro takes that into account and informs other schools regarding this issue. Another thing, you're not taking any courses, you are taking the same exact courses as the medical students, excluding PD and OMM, so technically, you're taking first year medical school courses, which means that its definitely tougher to get an overall high gpa in, as opposed to any other master's/postbac programs. For the DO's getting a 3.0 or above is honors! So if you get a 3.4 overall in the master's program, even though its not enough to make the cutoff, but its pretty darn good considering that you are taking medical school courses! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Ok great, the fact that other DO school will see you're taking med school classes and thus feel better about the application is an excellent point. I definitely feel more comfortable about this program now.

Yeah, I'll message you about my GPA and what I did to be successful. As far as the mentorship program, I did find it helpful. I did not have much in the way of study skills when I got here and talking to my mentor as well as other previous masters students was helpful in figuring out how I should be working.
If I have really high undergraduate GPA like 3.86 but low MCAT, do you recommend this program? I already got accepted to the Harlem campus

Lol. Please don't let @Yearningformedschool! lead you to believe that we are having a significantly easier time in Harlem as compared to Middletown. The overall average for each exam is often reported to us-- this includes both Harlem and Middletown DO averages, as well as the Masters. Our MS class average is almost always within 5% of the overall average (again, this includes the DO average), so not sure how much lower our averages could possibly be than the Middletown averages but it is not likely to be more than by a percent or 2. Confident that we have had averages higher than theirs as well.

Nonetheless, I do continue agree with the majority of the posts before me. This is not an easy way into medical school. You will need to work hard and having a foundation of knowledge prior to beginning is advantageous.

I do not believe you should persuade yourself into flying in for an interview unless you are very adamant about seeing the school in person and getting a feel for it. Otherwise, save your money as the Skype interview will be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious to know if Touro has any intramural sports on campus, particularly in Middletown. I know it sounds silly but I started getting back in shape after college and I want to keep it up haha. Also, how would you rate student engagement on campus/the student body in general? I've seen quite a few SDN users on here state that a lot of the students are doing what they can to get by, but aren't genuinely passionate in medicine or academics.... I was curious to see if this has changed over the years, especially with the difficulties of getting into medical school in New York nowadays.

If I have really high undergraduate GPA like 3.86 but low MCAT, do you recommend this program? I already got accepted to the Harlem campus

This is what I will be doing this year, alongside applying via AMCAS and AACOMAS. I'd rather play my cards all at once and keep as many options open. You might want to weight out why your MCAT is low though. Was it due to lack of time/studying? Because if so, I would just recommend you retake it instead of doing this program. I went to a school that was not academically challenging and lacked in true upper level coursework, but have always been a good student, hence my high GPA and scholarships at the school, but low MCAT. So, while I feel my year at Touro might be academically challenging especially in the beginning, I welcome the challenge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for a roommate/roommates in Middletown area for this July. Message if interested

For those who have gotten accepted to the Middletown campus, if anyone is interested, my roommate and I are subleasing as early as June. Its a 10 minute walk from where we live to the school, so if anyone is interested, please inbox me.

Hey everyone,

Apartments are really expensive near the Harlem campus. Does anyone want to share an apartment?

I'll be withdrawing my seat due to acceptance into medical school, good luck everyone!

I'm curious to know if Touro has any intramural sports on campus, particularly in Middletown. I know it sounds silly but I started getting back in shape after college and I want to keep it up haha. Also, how would you rate student engagement on campus/the student body in general? I've seen quite a few SDN users on here state that a lot of the students are doing what they can to get by, but aren't genuinely passionate in medicine or academics.... I was curious to see if this has changed over the years, especially with the difficulties of getting into medical school in New York nowadays.

So not any Touro officially sanctioned intramural sports, but there are groups of DO/MS students who play sports (basketball in the winter, soccer in the spring and fall) every week or so who just contact eachother through a group text. There's a YMCA which you get a free membership to as a student which is 5 mins from campus. You won't really have time for much else, but I think those are a good start. Then again you can also ask your classmates (especially the people who played sports in college) to create some weekly thing where you guys play sports. I guess that goes for any other activities people want to do on the reg as well

Just got accepted into Harlem campus Master's program! I was wondering if anyone knew of a Facebook group for the Harlem campus that I can join? I'm from Florida so the move will be more difficult to coordinate

A final few pieces of advice or points of interest:

You should apply to medical school before doing this program or work on your application right after starting. I would personally recommend not even attempting to do this program unless you have attempted to apply through AACOMAS and have been rejected. Why waste a year of your life when you could have gotten into medical school on the first try?

This is not a program for boosting your GPA. There are other programs out there that are cheaper and meant for doing just that and might give you a better chance of eventually getting into medical school.

This program is through Touro College and not TouroCOM. This is not TouroCOM's master's program, despite the title on the thread. Your transcript and diploma will have Touro College on it. We are taught by the same faculty and pretty much take the same classes with some exceptions. But, you will not be a TouroCOM student until you get into the DO program.

If you decide to do this program, do summer anatomy. DO SUMMER ANATOMY. It is the best money you will ever spend for this program. It will give you an edge since anatomy is worth so many credits.Try to get notes from previous students or even 2nd years for all the classes. Try to get caught up on videos during the summer. You will have an edge when the program starts. Try to get a hold of the clickers. Many of the masters students will have old clickers from friends and mentors so they will unfortunately have an edge over you. It is just how the game goes. Go in and meet the professors if you come to campus.

You don't want to aim for a 3.5 the first semester. You want to aim for above a 3.7+ to give you buffer for the second semester when everyone is gunning. The higher the better. A's will be difficult to come by in the spring even if you think you are doing well. Better to do well early when some people are off guard. If you think you might have problems, get working on notes and watching videos during the summer. DO SUMMER ANATOMY.

Finally, Harlem has lower averages than Middletown. Nobody is quite clear on why - possibly all the extracurriculars in the area. I don't care what people on this thread say. If they tell you Harlem has higher averages then ask them if they'd be willing to be graded on Middletown's curve. I would guess most likely not. I'm sure a few more people would get into the program if we used Harlem's averages.

Good luck. I've warned you. Make the right decision for you and have a Plan B and C!

Last edited:
A final few pieces of advice or points of interest:

You should apply to medical school before doing this program or work on your application right after starting. I would personally recommend not even attempting to do this program unless you have attempted to apply through AACOMAS and have been rejected. Why waste a year of your life when you could have gotten into medical school on the first try?

This is not a program for boosting your GPA. There are other programs out there that are cheaper and meant for doing just that and might give you a better chance of eventually getting into medical school.

This program is through Touro College and not TouroCOM. This is not TouroCOM's master's program, despite the title on the thread. Your transcript and diploma will have Touro College on it. We are taught by the same faculty and pretty much take the same classes with some exceptions. But, you will not be a TouroCOM student until you get into the DO program.

If you decide to do this program, do summer anatomy. DO SUMMER ANATOMY. It is the best money you will ever spend for this program. It will give you an edge since anatomy is worth so many credits.Try to get notes from previous students or even 2nd years for all the classes. Try to get caught up on videos during the summer. You will have an edge when the program starts. Try to get a hold of the clickers. Many of the masters students will have old clickers from friends and mentors so they will unfortunately have an edge over you. It is just how the game goes. Go in and meet the professors if you come to campus.

You don't want to aim for a 3.5 the first semester. You want to aim for above a 3.7+ to give you buffer for the second semester when everyone is gunning. The higher the better. A's will be difficult to come by in the spring even if you think you are doing well. Better to do well early when some people are off guard. If you think you might have problems, get working on notes and watching videos during the summer. DO SUMMER ANATOMY.

Finally, Harlem has lower averages than Middletown. Nobody is quite clear on why - possibly all the extracurriculars in the area. I don't care what people on this thread say. If they tell you Harlem has higher averages then ask them if they'd be willing to be graded on Middletown's curve. I would guess most likely not. I'm sure a few more people would get into the program if we used Harlem's averages.

Good luck. I've warned you. Make the right decision for you and have a Plan B and C!

Hi Laserjet, I thank you for your thoughtful and detailed overview of the MS program. I am interested in knowing if you got in/was there a particular pattern that you saw of the students who were ultimately offered a seat in the COM? Were they kids who went to IVY leagues, had other master's degrees, etc...? What would you do different if you were to do the program again? Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback!

Just have been recently accepted to the Middletown Campus and most likely will attend. Can a current Middletown student give advice on how to do well in each of the classes? Any different or new study techniques that you used to retain all of the material?

Hi Laserjet, I thank you for your thoughtful and detailed overview of the MS program. I am interested in knowing if you got in/was there a particular pattern that you saw of the students who were ultimately offered a seat in the COM? Were they kids who went to IVY leagues, had other master's degrees, etc...? What would you do different if you were to do the program again? Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback!
I don't think there was a particular pattern but I do believe that they had many qualities in common. One is that the students who do well have historically been good students. Maybe a few have low GPAs due to poor performance the first 2 years of undergrad but got straight As since then. Many of us do have good GPAs. Mine for instance would have made me competitive for an MD school. Many have decent MCATs (26+) but didn't apply early, etc. They could have gotten into medical school if they did. Then there are a handful of people who probably could have gotten into Harvard medical school and for some reason they are in this program. You need to be the type of person who can retain a LOT of information in a short amount of time. Like someone said earlier, if you can't handle 20+ credits of coursework while doing well in it, then this program isn't for you. You would be better off re-taking the MCAT if that is a problem. Its also going to depend on your class' performance. There was one year that the averages were so high that even students who studied day and night couldn't do as well and didn't end up getting in. If you end up having a smaller class this year for whatever reason, less people are probably going to get in.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't. BUT many of my colleagues who didn't take summer anatomy said that they would if they had to do it over again.

Just got accepted into Harlem campus Master's program! I was wondering if anyone knew of a Facebook group for the Harlem campus that I can join? I'm from Florida so the move will be more difficult to coordinate

Just got accepted too. DM?

Also got accepted!! Was a long time reader of this forum! Just graduated from the University of Florida. Can anyone send me information on the Facebook group?

Hello! I got into the Middletown campus. Anyone know where I can find roommates?

Hey Everyone Ive also been recently accepted into the program in Middletown. If someone could give me information on the Facebook group/ roommate situations let me know!

Hey Everyone Ive also been recently accepted into the program in Middletown. If someone could give me information on the Facebook group/ roommate situations let me know!
Hey there! I have also been accepted! I was looking for the fb group too, but i couldn't find it.

How many students are there in the MS program at Touro College ..???

Anyone get the constant emails about doing the Summer Anatomy program? I'm a little concerned with how many emails I've been getting to do this program lol. I mean we'd be taking the same class again in the semester and hopefully, if we enroll in to their DO program, would be taking it yet again as DO students. I'm just wondering if this is overkill?

Just interviewed and got accepted to Middletown. However, I know that I have to retake my MCAT. I only scored a 487. How can I retake the exam on top of a rigorous curriculum, and shoot for a seat in the starting 2018 class?

Just interviewed and got accepted to Middletown. However, I know that I have to retake my MCAT. I only scored a 487. How can I retake the exam on top of a rigorous curriculum, and shoot for a seat in the starting 2018 class?
Former MS student here! Listen, and listen to my words very carefully lol. This program is a very rigorous program. In addition to that, you'll be competing against every single individual in your class. I can't stress this enough, but every single exam matters. Heck, every single exam on every single question counts!!!!!!! If you're going to go ahead and start this program, you're going to have to give it your ALL, and I mean it literally! I recall, on our very first physiology lecture video, Dr Fischer told us these very words, "Sell your wife, your bf's, gf's and your kids, you are about to start medical school" and the DO students just need to pass their exams. To put it simply, in order to matriculate into the DO program through the MS program, you need to outcompete your peers, and you will need to outperform the DO students. If you're going to retake the MCAT, retake it before the program, don't go into the program already jeopardizing your gpa!

Anyone get the constant emails about doing the Summer Anatomy program? I'm a little concerned with how many emails I've been getting to do this program lol. I mean we'd be taking the same class again in the semester and hopefully, if we enroll in to their DO program, would be taking it yet again as DO students. I'm just wondering if this is overkill?

This is their hint that you should take it. One regret of many students is that they didn't take summer anatomy. It is definitely not overkill as you will gain something different each time you take it. Plus, if you do really well in anatomy in the fall, your worries will be less in the spring.

Yeah definitely don't use up valuable time during the year to study for the mcat! This is only a 9 month program!! If you do not meet the gpa then you can retake the mcat during the summer after the program has been completed. You will have better study skills by then anyway.

A 487 is a 13th percentile MCAT. You need to be honest with yourself and figure out why you scored that low - whether it was simply a lack of content review, test anxiety, etc. IMO it would be a big mistake to attempt to do the MCAT on top of the Masters program. Best case scenario with this program you'll finish in the top 3rd of the class or whatever it takes to automatically matriculate, in that case you don't need to worry about redoing the MCAT. However, as many others have mentioned, there are going to be many students who have much better scores than you taking this program, and simply put you're going to have to outperform them. If you can do it, great! If not, then you'll be in an even worse position than you are now after you graduate - a bad Masters GPA on top of the tuition you'll have forked over.

Anyone got into Henderson, NV school for masters?

Last edited:
A 487 is a 13th percentile MCAT. You need to be honest with yourself and figure out why you scored that low - whether it was simply a lack of content review, test anxiety, etc. IMO it would be a big mistake to attempt to do the MCAT on top of the Masters program. Best case scenario with this program you'll finish in the top 3rd of the class or whatever it takes to automatically matriculate, in that case you don't need to worry about redoing the MCAT. However, as many others have mentioned, there are going to be many students who have much better scores than you taking this program, and simply put you're going to have to outperform them. If you can do it, great! If not, then you'll be in an even worse position than you are now after you graduate - a bad Masters GPA on top of the tuition you'll have forked over.

This is a great post. I think most people come into this program underestimating their competition. So it is vital to evaluate WHY you are doing this program and if you think you have a very good chance of doing well. Another thing that most don't think about is the debt that you will incur as a result.

This is their hint that you should take it. One regret of many students is that they didn't take summer anatomy. It is definitely not overkill as you will gain something different each time you take it. Plus, if you do really well in anatomy in the fall, your worries will be less in the spring.

did you do the summer program? i was jw do the grades you get rollover to your fall semester grades?

Last edited:
The summer anatomy course is non-credit at Middletown. You can get credit at Harlem only if you are remediating. I would highly recommend summer anatomy. You are going to meet people who you may even study with during the MS program. At the very least you'll know they are as serious as you.

Former MS student: if you do retake your mcat, use your summer ( now to study for it), and take it early in the semester. You will not have must time once the semester starts to study for it. You will not have an exam the first 3 weeks, so everyone will be studying for the first exam. Expect a high average on that exam ( i got a 94).

The summer anatomy course is non-credit at Middletown. You can get credit at Harlem only if you are remediating. I would highly recommend summer anatomy. You are going to meet people who you may even study with during the MS program. At the very least you'll know they are as serious as you.

Former MS: I didnt not take summer anatomy because I lacked the funds to pay for it. However, I still got an A in anatomy; not a A-, but an A.

There are two types of individuals that take summer anatomy. Individuals that say that it was really good and those that say it was a waste of money.

At the end of the day, if can take it and struggle throughout the year with anatomy or you can not take it and still struggle with anatomy throughout the year.

You will not retain everything you learn this summer but you will retain something that might be an answer to an exam question

Former MS here:

Don't come into this program thinking you can do stuff besides focus on studying this program. If you do, then the person that is completely focus on studying for this program will take your seat in the upcoming entering DO class.

Every point matters ( every question): 95[3 Qs wrong] was a B+; 100[ 0 Qs wrong] was an A-. Yes these two examples of exam scores some of the few examples of outliers of exam curving that were extreme, but it does happen.

Just to be clear usmle300 is right with many points. However, keep in mind that not many people get A's in any of the classes. There are a few A's and A-'s, but lots of B+s and beyond, this is true for high average classes like anatomy and histology. What might have worked for that tail end of the distribution might not work for the majority. If it were me, I would throw in whatever I could to get the 3.5. Summer anatomy at Touro is one of the cheapest classes compared to other institutions that offer it. But you have to look at what you can afford.

Completely agree with laserjet550.

Not many people get As in touro. But it is not impossible: second semester I got all As for my classes. First semester I only got 3As as a final grade and the rest were B+s.

It's not impossible to get As in classes. It's honestly about being efficient. I do feel that my background had a lot to do with my ability to perform--I come from a very competitive background--was offered a full ride for undergrad (hence, know your audience.) Several of my peers were from Ivys as well.

When it came to the MS program, I did nothing but study and sleep. I partied occasionally too.

If I could afford summer anatomy back then, I would probably had taken it. But for anyone like me that lacked the funds, not taking summer anatomy will not prevent you from getting an A in anatomy. Just work smart.

I'm going to be an OMS-II who did the master's program. You guys can feel free to PM me for any questions on the program.

I'm supposed to make a decision at Middletown by tomorrow, but I'm honestly waiting to hear back from a school in my state.

Is it possible to later withdraw my acceptance?