TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have finished the MS program at TouroCOM-Middletown. I would like to clear up some things and set them straight.

For my class- Total of 66 students by end of the semester, only 24 students have received an invitation to matriculate to the DO program class of 2020. Roughly a 1/3 get in (this is via the legitimate 3.5 GPA way). Special considerations are made to students who have a slightly lower GPA (around 3.45-3.49) as well as students who also applied to TouroCOM Middletown via AACOMAS while they were in the Masters program (and were granted an interview that went well).

For students coming into the masters program; understand this degree does not really help you. You have to work (extremely- I'll let you know why later on) hard to get the 3.5 GPA. You are in it to win it. You must get into the DO program otherwise you wasted your entire year and you are 40K in debt. If your MCAT score is low, chances are you will need to retake it again (even if you make the 3.5 GPA and pass the comprehensive)- (Average MCAT - old scale was about a 27; I don't know anything about the new MCAT; anything less than a 23 requires a retake).

Exams are taken on Examsoft. Either on your laptop or use a PC in the library. You get $80 of print credit each semester. The IT staff is very helpful in case you run into technical difficulties. Clickers are... Clickers. Lab Practical is traditional, you go to various stations with a certain allotted time per station. Look and identify, write it down on your answer sheet and move on.

Grading- Courses are graded based on a curve. For an A you must score 1 standard deviation above the average. Half a standard deviation is roughly an A-. Average is usually a B+ (again, usually). Standard deviations will vary based on overall performance of your class. Harlem and Middletown students do not compete against each other (you are locked to compete within your school, and thus grades and standard deviations are calculated by each campus separately). Let the Hunger Games begin! For certain classes, the averages are extremely high; the 2nd semester for Immunology Exam 1- the average was about 95%. Those are B+ grades. To put this in perspective; in order to get an A (1 std dev above) on the first Immunology Exam, you can only miss 1-2 questions (out of 82 questions or >97.5%). This is due to the "curve" based grading. This is an extreme example, as certain other courses fall in normal and sometimes beneficial range. Don't ever count on the average; each exam you must aim for 100%, always. Majority of the courses have averages within the low to mid 80s. (not 70s as in traditional grading system; so the bell curve is shifted towards to 100 range, aka disadvantage).

Summer Classes- If you have the money to spend/waste, fine. Otherwise there is no point. The class is extremely rushed (an entire semester condensed to slightly more than a month), majority of the material you learn may help, but most likely you will be overwhelmed and start to panic. If you have taken Anatomy or Histology in the past, it may prove better as it becomes a quick refresher; but if you haven't learned the subject at all- good luck. However, these courses do give you a quick glimpse into the curriculum and the way the courses are taught (lecture style via videos), with clicker sessions in class. If you enjoy the curriculum, come stay for the entire year. If not, leave and avoid paying 40K for the entire year.

Dorms are in the same building as the school, managed by Horizon Student Housing. Main person to contact is Cindy Dickman, she is very nice and helpful via email correspondence and in-person. Avoid the meal plan if you can; Trust me.
Living is the dorms is extremely convenient. Classrooms/lecture halls and study rooms in the basement, 1st floor is administration, 2nd floor is faculty, Simulation lab, OMM lab, and Anatomy Lab. Dorms are from floors 3-5. Just walk downstairs to go to class, lab, study, take an exam- no need to commute through the weather, or deal with traffic. However understand, this is an old hospital building (very old) converted into a school and student housing. Things may not work from time to time (sometimes there is no hot water and you have to ice bath your way to cleanliness). Other times the water may be shut off completely to fix a broken main-pipe. When it snows/rains your room may drip. Dorm rooms are renovated, old patient rooms (the voices you hear on a cold winter night are all in your mind). Rent is reasonable and considerably cheaper than apartments nearby (you do not have to pay for TV, internet, electric, or heating; amenities are included along with a desk, bed, chair, tiny wall mounted flatscreen TV, and chest/drawers). However you cannot cook, as there is no range or stove anywhere. You are allowed to have a crock-pot, microwave, and mini fridge in your dorm room. There are communion showers, sink, refrigerator, microwave, and laundry machines (must pay using credit cards; there are laundromats locally if you want to use those instead). If the electricity goes out, the entire building can be ran on generators while the rest of the area is kept in the darkness.

Middletown, NY. Very rural area, about 1.5 to 2 hours from the NYC. If you like the city and urban areas, go/apply to Harlem. If you want things to do besides studying, go to Harlem. If you get into the DO program and would like a rotation spot in the city, go to Harlem.
Just.. go to Harlem.

There is parts of Middletown which reminds you of civilization, such as Starbucks, Chipotle, Walmart, Panera Bread all in the same complex. There is a local mall nearby (Galleria at Crystal Run). About 30 minutes south of Middletown, there is a nice outlet (Woodbury Commons, in case you want to buy stuff to fill the vast empty void in your.. well let's not go there). Chase Bank, BoA are in Middletown. Wells Fargo in Newburgh (15-20 minutes east).

There are nice places to hike and enjoy the outdoors (Ellenville Fault Ice Caves, Blue Mountain Park, etc). Local Gyms (Touro students have free YCMA membership- heated pool, tiny weightroom, basketball court, fitness classes (zumba, yoga)). Anytime Fitness is 24 hours, there is also a Planet Fitness, and a few local crossfit gyms. Gold's Gym in Newburgh and Monroe (near Woodbury Commons).

Comprehensive Exam- The entire year's material minus 3 courses (Medical Ethics, Health and Human Behavior (worst class I've had in my life), and Community Service). You must pass with 70% or higher to get the Masters' Degree and also to matriculate (along with 3.5 GPA). I wouldn't say this was easy, but if you made the 3.5 GPA; this shouldn't be too bad. Expect to prepare your own study guides based on professor's comprehensive exam objectives, or hopefully have friends you trust when spring break comes around to work together. Several students did not pass the comprehensive exam (about 8-9 students), but Touro lowered the passing cutoff to 65%. If you do not pass you will not matriculate into the DO program; however you can still retake the exam to earn your master's degree. There are talks to replace this with a research component, but don't hold your breath.

Bottom Line: You must work hard every day. Assume it is finals week, every week. Maybe give yourself a break every once in awhile (like right after exams). Schedule accordingly. Do not fall behind, once you do, it's over. This program is VERY, Highly stressful. You will see OMS1 students having fun and enjoying medical school while you are stuck in your dorm room (more like prison cell) studying all the intricacies of renal system and memorizing the blood supply, nerves, and muscles of the forearm and hand.

If you don't get accepted into the MS program, consider it a blessing in disguise. Take a MCAT class (much cheaper), or take a few months off to study. Postbacs improve your undergrad GPA, Master courses will not. There isn't much you can do with the Masters degree. If you are accepted, please evaluate your position accordingly before making a decision. This program is an investment/gamble in yourself. Are you willing to take the odds?

Hope this clarifies any questions and concerns.

I was thinking of doing this program alongside actively applying to MD and DO schools(at this time, my only preference is just the location and there aren't that many DO schools to choose from lol). I was wondering how many students with my kind of profile actually got in. I keep on reading on here that 1/3 ultimately matriculate into their school, but I was wondering is this b/c not everyone in the class is actively trying to matriculate while doing the program? I hope this makes sense!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance letter today. I got into SGU in the Caribbean and I really don't know what to accept. I'm thinking it is more of a gamble to do TouroCOM MS than it is to go to the Caribbean. What do you guys think?

I just got my acceptance letter today. I got into SGU in the Caribbean and I really don't know what to accept. I'm thinking it is more of a gamble to do TouroCOM MS than it is to go to the Caribbean. What do you guys think?

The gamble is by far lightyears larger going to SGU you may never place in residency, whereas if you matriculate into TouroCOM you have a much better chance to place.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I actually live right by Middletown, about 15 minutes and have a 3.99 GPA, 503 MCAT. I was thinking of doing this program alongside actively applying to MD and DO schools(at this time, my only preference is just the location and there aren't that many DO schools to choose from lol). I was wondering how many students with my kind of profile actually got in. I keep on reading on here that 1/3 ultimately matriculate into their school, but I was wondering is this b/c not everyone in the class is actively trying to matriculate while doing the program? I hope this makes sense!!

You have a good chance of getting into their COM. I didn't get in due to my MCAT being under par. The masters program is harder than medical school itself b/c of the pressure of having to do better than the medical students in the same classes as the medical students. You have a stellar GPA and adequite MCAT. If you're done with undergrad, take the year off and apply to both the MS and COM programs. The MS program only starts once a year at the end of July. The facilities are great. And most of the staff are really nice and helpful. If you don't get into medical school you can always do the MS program afterwards.

When I did my interview, they told me that about 50% of their students pass with and 85%. Some people end up going on to pharmacy or dental or PA or Nursing school etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, just wanted to put in my two cents:
I'm a recently graduated MS student from Middletown who's been accepted into the DO program. I interviewed at one other DO school during the year but got waitlisted (boohoo). The reason I say this is if I do end up being accepted to that school even at this point in the game when I have a place ready and waiting for me in Middletown I will be outa there faster than the flash. Why you ask? Everything my classmates have stated previously regarding the ethics in this school/location/policies/etc.

This program is for those who are desperate to get into medical school. This program was my only choice and then became my backup and then became my only choice again. For the post prior to mine this is a better choice than going to the Caribbean.
I chose the MS program because I wanted to fill my gap year with something that will amount to having an effect on getting into med school and Touro's program at the time seemed the best option (I was considering Lake Erie's Post bac as well). After having done some research and speaking to prior MS students that were current DO's I decided to accept my seat into Middletown's MS program.

This program was grueling. As someone coming directly from undergrad I expected myself to be on top of the game, I expected things to be a breeze and that's when this program smacked that belief straight out of my head. Fall semester ended with tears in my eyes and a pile of tissues filled with snot. I averaged B+'s and B's in the fall semester courses (and an A for law and ethics but cmon, basically everyone got an A for that). I was distraught because I fell below the 3.5 that semester and thus I had a fire under my a** the next semester.
When spring semester reared its ugly head I hit the ground running. Every single week I was on top of videos- BEFORE monday, every single day I made sure to participate in class so profs would remember me. I only watched tv as I ate meals, I didn't bother with as many social activities as I did in the fall, I made time to go to the gym at least 3x a week (so I wouldn't go crazy) and the only time I saw my friends was when it came time to review for the exams. And you know what? I would do that all over again because that's what got me all A's and an A- for spring semester and a 90+ grade on the comp.

I want to say that for anyone deciding to enter Touro's master's program please do not let our posts scare you away. We're telling you all this so that you're aware of the difficult journey ahead. I feel the best thing to do is try new study techniques until you find the right one. I sat and analyzed what went wrong fall semester-I was trying too hard to study with other people, I spent time making too many flashcards, I wasn't on top of the videos, and I still hadn't found the best study technique for me. In the spring I studied on my own for the most part and then the nights before exams I reviewed with my friends and I found a proper study method and stuck to it. The material presented is not difficult -it's just that there is a vast amount and you should understand that concepts intertwine.
I advise you to get friendly with your profs -on certain occasions this benefitted me greatly when it came to preparing for exams. The faculty really want Master's students to gain admission into the DO program. A few faculty members will often go above and beyond to prepare MS students far better than they prepare the DOs (when it comes to exam reviews) because they realize how challenging this program is. Go to them when you need help and stay humble, they will help you gain admission into the DO program (one of my friends that did not get the 3.5 got in because they had such a great bond with faculty members).
Make sure to stay on top of understanding what each of your grades mean. Fall semester I willy nilly looked over my grades for exams and that was a huge mistake. Spring semester I analyzed my grades for every course after every single exam. I'd take my score, take the standard deviation and then see if that resulted in an A or A- for that exam. DO THIS, it will remind you how hard you have to work for the next exam and set realistic goals on how many questions you can get wrong for the next exams to maintain an A in the course. I made sure to go over my student rank first with my advisor and then with the pre-clinical dean (dr. jones) so that I had a clear understanding of whether I was going to be able to make it in.

This program gave me a lot of anxiety that I'm still recovering from (haha). Expect the worst and aim for the best. I made it out alive from below a 3.5 gpa the first semester to above the 3.5 gpa the second semester. While in the program make friends with people who are dependable and determined, make sure to do one activity that isn't studying, and stay humble regardless of your grades. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I actually live right by Middletown, about 15 minutes and have a 3.99 GPA, 503 MCAT. I was thinking of doing this program alongside actively applying to MD and DO schools(at this time, my only preference is just the location and there aren't that many DO schools to choose from lol). I was wondering how many students with my kind of profile actually got in. I keep on reading on here that 1/3 ultimately matriculate into their school, but I was wondering is this b/c not everyone in the class is actively trying to matriculate while doing the program? I hope this makes sense!!

I think you don't even need to do this program. Your GPA is amazing and your MCAT is good enough to get into a DO school if you apply early. Save your 40k and stress.

When I did my interview, they told me that about 50% of their students pass with and 85%. Some people end up going on to pharmacy or dental or PA or Nursing school etc.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this - either the faculty is flat out lying to you or there are just rumors going around. This year, 23/62 people were accepted into the DO program at Touro Middletown. That is about 37%, WAY lower than 50%.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you don't even need to do this program. Your GPA is amazing and your MCAT is good enough to get into a DO school if you apply early. Save your 40k and stress.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this - either the faculty is flat out lying to you or there are just rumors going around. This year, 23/62 people were accepted into the DO program at Touro Middletown. That is about 37%, WAY lower than 50%.

Sooo.... what is considered a subPAR MCAT that would warrant someone to do this program? Also, how early is early? Thanks!

You have a good chance of getting into their COM. I didn't get in due to my MCAT being under par. The masters program is harder than medical school itself b/c of the pressure of having to do better than the medical students in the same classes as the medical students. You have a stellar GPA and adequite MCAT. If you're done with undergrad, take the year off and apply to both the MS and COM programs. The MS program only starts once a year at the end of July. The facilities are great. And most of the staff are really nice and helpful. If you don't get into medical school you can always do the MS program afterwards.

Were you ultimately offered a spot in their COM? Did you have to retake the MCAT?

Sooo.... what is considered a subPAR MCAT that would warrant someone to do this program? Also, how early is early? Thanks!

Highly depends on your GPA - with a good GPA (3.5+) and above a 502, it would seem like a waste to go through this program. Most people go through this program because their MCAT is low with a good GPA, or their GPA is low with a decent MCAT.

Applying early means anytime before Sep/Oct for DO programs (just my opinion though).

Actually when I went to speak to some faculty members they told me about ~33 masters students were accepted, about 23 directly from the masters program but the rest because they either interviewed at touro during the school yr via aacomas app or were considered even with a lower gpa (3.49-3.45) but showed significant progress throughout the yr. From administration I heard that they were more likely to accept masters students who interviewed via the aacomas app because they wanted to "keep within the family", i.e. accept their masters students who have already gone through what is basically the first yr curriculum.

So for students who completed the Masters program and were ultimately matriculated to their medical school.... what were your stats(GPA, MCAT)?

Also, does preference for the Middletown campus instead of Harlem increase your chances of acceptance bc it's a less desirable location?

So for students who completed the Masters program and were ultimately matriculated to their medical school.... what were your stats(GPA, MCAT)?

Also, does preference for the Middletown campus instead of Harlem increase your chances of acceptance bc it's a less desirable location?

HAHAHAHA Middletown actually has higher averages for some God forsaken reason.

undergrad GPA: 3.33 MCAT: 26

Reactions: 2 users
HAHAHAHA Middletown actually has higher averages for some God forsaken reason.

undergrad GPA: 3.33 MCAT: 26

Thanks for your input and yes, I did speak to an admissions director from Touro at Middletown who said the average MCAT was a 30. The majority of the medical students that I spoke to from there had way above a 30. Only one guy admitted he had sub 30, 26 specifically, but he had such an awesome life story, nontrad, so I started worrying.... but thanks for your input! Also, through your experience, did you feel that they were a service oriented school? I guess, what I am trying to ask is: what made your application stand out, what was well-received by admissions?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input and yes, I did speak to an admissions director from Touro at Middletown who said the average MCAT was a 30. The majority of the medical students that I spoke to from there had way above a 30. Only one guy admitted he had sub 30, 26 specifically, but he had such an awesome life story, nontrad, so I started worrying.... but thanks for your input! Also, through your experience, did you feel that they were a service oriented school? I guess, what I am trying to ask is: what made your application stand out, what was well-received by admissions?

You are confusing the DO program with the MS program. No way in hell the MS MCAT average is a 30. Also, as MS applicants we were treated differently from the rest of the applicant pool and even the questions were different. I really think you're in the wrong thread lol

You are confusing the DO program with the MS program. No way in hell the MS MCAT average is a 30. Also, as MS applicants we were treated differently from the rest of the applicant pool and even the questions were different. I really think you're in the wrong thread lol

No, I know what thread I am in!! I was considering doing a master's or SMP but after doing research, it seems that even if you do it, you're still expected to perform within the range of the incoming medical class both MCAT and GPA wise, which has me worried and which is why I asked the question. It seems, according to you, that MS students at Touro are treated differently in the applicant pool? My question is how so? Aren't you still expected to perform at the rate of the incoming students GPA, MCAT, EC wise?

No, I know what thread I am in!! I was considering doing a master's or SMP but after doing research, it seems that even if you do it, you're still expected to perform within the range of the incoming medical class both MCAT and GPA wise, which has me worried and which is why I asked the question. It seems, according to you, that MS students at Touro are treated differently in the applicant pool? My question is how so? Aren't you still expected to perform at the rate of the incoming students GPA, MCAT, EC wise?

Buddy if you make it through the MS program, you can almost guarantee that you'll be at the top of your DO class. you're literally repeating everything you've done in the MS program (+OMM, PD). Former Masters students were understandably more comfortable with the material because it was their second time tackling it.

When signing your contract for the masters it stipulates the exact conditions you need to move on to the DO program. And as hellobello18 said, you will definitely perform well as a DO student because it'll be your second time taking most classes. Unless you become lax with your studying once you get into the DO program, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The only requirements for acceptance is 3.5 GPA, pass on the comprehensive exam. There are people with low 20's on their MCAT who got the GPA/passed the comp and are in. Granted, not sure how they will do on boards but who knows.

The only requirements for acceptance is 3.5 GPA, pass on the comprehensive exam. There are people with low 20's on their MCAT who got the GPA/passed the comp and are in. Granted, not sure how they will do on boards but who knows.

My firm belief is that the MCAT is a reflection of one's undergrad institution and curriculum. Don't want to open up another can of worms, but just saying that from experience, my Ivy buddies don't have a hard time with the MCAT like my non ranked school buddies did. They just have a wider variety of courses, resources, experts in the field. I think Touro, or any medical school in the country has such rigid standards that it will prepare even those with low 20s well on the boards.

My firm belief is that the MCAT is a reflection of one's undergrad institution and curriculum. Don't want to open up another can of worms, but just saying that from experience, my Ivy buddies don't have a hard time with the MCAT like my non ranked school buddies did. They just have a wider variety of courses, resources, experts in the field. I think Touro, or any medical school in the country has such rigid standards that it will prepare even those with low 20s well on the boards.

There was a research paper that stated that high MCAT scores correlated with high board scores (Step 1). It's not necessarily the material you need to master, that is only one component. You also need to know how to take an "exam" so to speak. How to read efficiently, how to interpret information or underlying question, etc. So even if you get past the Master's program and matriculate, if you have a subpar MCAT score, you will need to "work harder" to get a good board score. Dr. Jones said during the beginning of the year, that the Master students that matriculate into the DO program, tend to score lower on the boards than those who just got in via AACOMAS & interview. I'm not sure why that is the case, (since Master students have take the same courses again for another year) other than MCAT scores.

It's actually really tough as an 2nd year OMS. At TouroCOM, the curriculum is based on video lectures, followed by in-class clicker sessions, review, and supplemental sessions. During your 2nd year, there is simply not enough time in the day to do everything (that you are "supposed to do") and study for boards. Some students will either fall behind on video lectures (heck, even OMSI and masters students do), and many will often skip clicker sessions and supplemental. Their reasoning, a med school grade is not as important as scoring high on the boards.

Time management is key, and you will need to prioritize/allocate efficiently.

There is another thread about TouroCOM DO program, you can post your questions about average GPA/MCAT there.

If you are asking about the Master's program GPA/MCAT, it has already been answered many times.

Last edited:

Everyone is trying to matriculate, otherwise why be in the program (40K and a year of your life you will never get back, hehe). If you are in this program I do strongly urge you to apply to other schools while in this program (so you have backups). Yes about 1/3 matriculate into the program via the 3.5 GPA and pass the comprehensive exam. If you get interviews during the 2nd semester you will need to plan accordingly, but definitely apply to MD/DO schools while you are in Touro's Masters program.

Everyone wants to get in. But only 1/3 make it via traditional method. I know two who did not meet the requirements for matriculation, but applied to the TouroCOM-Middletown via AACOMAS (while they were with me in the Master's program), got an interview, and got into the DO program that way.

Everyone is trying to matriculate, otherwise why be in the program (40K and a year of your life you will never get back, hehe). If you are in this program I do strongly urge you to apply to other schools while in this program (so you have backups). Yes about 1/3 matriculate into the program via the 3.5 GPA and pass the comprehensive exam. If you get interviews during the 2nd semester you will need to plan accordingly, but definitely apply to MD/DO schools while you are in Touro's Masters program.

Everyone wants to get in. But only 1/3 make it via traditional method. I know two who did not meet the requirements for matriculation, but applied to the TouroCOM-Middletown via AACOMAS (while they were with me in the Master's program), got an interview, and got into the DO program that way.

Hey! Thanks a lot for your information. And ahhh Standardized testing, can't live with them. Can't live without them. I really appreciate all of your feedback!

Would anyone happen to know the pros and cons of doing the Master's program in Harlem vs Middletown? Is one more cut throat than the other? Do they attract a particular 'type' of student?

Also, what are the tests like? Multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc? I'm kind of surprised the averages are so high. Are these students cheating lol? I come from a school where the averages were in the 50s, hence an 'A' was anything above that lol. Needless to say, I never really aimed to get a perfect score b/c that's not what our college culture was all about.

And also, for the students who don't end up matriculating in to touro(which is >50%), from your perspective, did you feel it was due to their work ethic? DId they not take the work load seriously enough? And what did they end up pursuing at the end?

AHHHH soo many questions!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Would anyone happen to know the pros and cons of doing the Master's program in Harlem vs Middletown? Is one more cut throat than the other? Do they attract a particular 'type' of student?

Also, what are the tests like? Multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc? I'm kind of surprised the averages are so high. Are these students cheating lol? I come from a school where the averages were in the 50s, hence an 'A' was anything above that lol. Needless to say, I never really aimed to get a perfect score b/c that's not what our college culture was all about.

And also, for the students who don't end up matriculating in to touro(which is >50%), from your perspective, did you feel it was due to their work ethic? DId they not take the work load seriously enough? And what did they end up pursuing at the end?

AHHHH soo many questions!!!!!!!

There is not really a difference except the location. The lectures are online and they are split 50/50 between professors at Middletown and Harlem. Harlem living expenses will be greater than Middletown because it is on Manhattan and the building is very small. The student base is all by chance, so last years masters were way more competitive than this years masters, but that was all by chance of where students decided to go. The students could be more or less competitive solely based on those that apply to the program.

The tests are all multiple choice and you take them on your laptop through an online program called SofTest. The students are not cheating. They have proctors going around the entire time and watch you to make sure you are not. Most of the masters students are constantly studying, which is why the averages are so high. Every exam grade is based on the average score so the average is a B, the scores between the average and half the standard deviation above the average is a B+, between half the standard deviation and a full deviation is an A-, and anything above a full standard deviation above the average is an A. Please note that if you are doing this program because you think it is going to be an easy matriculation into medical school, you are going to be disappointed. The program is intense and very competitive as you are trying to get a 90+ on every exam in order to matriculate. Since you are not used to needing to score exceptionally high on exams, then you are going to have to work harder because getting an A means that you have to be in the 95%ish range above all your other peers, so you have to aim for a perfect score. Although it is difficult, I still recommend it, but DEFINITELY apply to other schools on the side. It is not worth risking it all since it is all up in the air. Even if you don't matriculate, you will do better at whatever school you end up attending. Good luck!

I have a bunch of Withdrawals (like 5 of em). Also have a D in BioChem 2. Planning on retaking BioChem 2 in the spring. I did retake a few of the withdrawals and ended up getting B's. Any ideas what the adcoms think of a high frequency of W's?

I really have no idea whether I even have a shot at this program. I have a 3.08 gpa (going to go up to what I hope will be 3.12+ in the spring). Will be taking the MCAT on January 19th. Scoring 510+ on the TPR exams.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Withdrawals (like 5 of em). Also have a D in BioChem 2. Planning on retaking BioChem 2 in the spring. I did retake a few of the withdrawals and ended up getting B's. Any ideas what the adcoms think of a high frequency of W's?

I really have no idea whether I even have a shot at this program. I have a 3.08 gpa (going to go up to what I hope will be 3.12+ in the spring). Will be taking the MCAT on January 19th. Scoring 510+ on the TPR exams.

You definitely have a shot. They are really into a holistic application, so make sure you spend time on your essay responses.

I am! I visited the school and loved it. I hope to do this program while applying simultaneously to medical schools. Did you start on apps yet?!
Yeah I submitted my application on the 2nd. I visited and they told me to apply for early decision. Planning on taking the MCAT in March before the program starts so will also be simultaneously applying to other schools while in the program.

Hey everyone, master's student here. Finals are in a week and just wanted to give my advice and thoughts/progression in the program to those who are applying/accepted.

Before I got accepted I was battling with minor depression. So hearing the great news sort of 'revived' me and I got focused. These guys aren't kidding when they say you have to put 100%. I found myself struggling the first week of classes because 1. being taught via videos was new for me and 2. I'm a super slow learner. Some videos are 40mins long, others are 90mins long. It would take me double and maybe triple the time to watch these videos to digest what was being taught. Time management is crucial guys.

You have four main classes (law and ethics is a one credit class and the grade is based on the final paper), and I would safely say there are three videos that need to be viewed before each class to have a general understanding on what the professor will be discussing during the clickers session. That's a lot of time, plus the readings that you need to do for Physiology and Histology (a must!).

I found myself falling behind quickly and got depressed again after first round of exams. I did around a C-range for Anatomy and rest of other classes around a B-range. Anatomy has a lot of weight being that it is 7 credits out of the 21.

I would advise incomings masters to be at least two weeks ahead of the game so you don't fall behind. Unfortunately the depression took its toll and this semester did not go very well for me, and by the looks of it it is likely I will not be matriculating into their DO program.

Not to scare you guys, but just to show you how much pressure there is: 87 students got into the masters program and there are about 70 students left as of today.

-A

Hey everyone, master's student here. Finals are in a week and just wanted to give my advice and thoughts/progression in the program to those who are applying/accepted.

Before I got accepted I was battling with minor depression. So hearing the great news sort of 'revived' me and I got focused. These guys aren't kidding when they say you have to put 100%. I found myself struggling the first week of classes because 1. being taught via videos was new for me and 2. I'm a super slow learner. Some videos are 40mins long, others are 90mins long. It would take me double and maybe triple the time to watch these videos to digest what was being taught. Time management is crucial guys.

You have four main classes (law and ethics is a one credit class and the grade is based on the final paper), and I would safely say there are three videos that need to be viewed before each class to have a general understanding on what the professor will be discussing during the clickers session. That's a lot of time, plus the readings that you need to do for Physiology and Histology (a must!).

I found myself falling behind quickly and got depressed again after first round of exams. I did around a C-range for Anatomy and rest of other classes around a B-range. Anatomy has a lot of weight being that it is 7 credits out of the 21.

I would advise incomings masters to be at least two weeks ahead of the game so you don't fall behind. Unfortunately the depression took its toll and this semester did not go very well for me, and by the looks of it it is likely I will not be matriculating into their DO program.

Not to scare you guys, but just to show you how much pressure there is: 87 students got into the masters program and there are about 70 students left as of today.

-A
Wow that sounds scary. I am sorry you going through this. If you could do it again, would you? Do you think with hard work it is possible to make it?

Wow that sounds scary. I am sorry you going through this. If you could do it again, would you? Do you think with hard work it is possible to make it?

If you are truly a time traveller, I'd tell you to hand off this message to me back in September. Also make friends quick. I would do it again if I had the money. Heck, I was given the option to restart next fall by Dean Prancan, but $21,000 for the year isn't cheap..

With hard work everything is possible. It comes down to how fast you "saturate". If it takes you a while to understand a particular topic you have to push the bounds and work harder (and avoid distractions at all costs)..:lame:

-A

Which campus were you at?

Does TouroCOM MS program reject people below 3.0?
On paper, yes. I say that because according to a OMS-1, there have been instances where IF professors see promise/certain success in the particular student then yes. Perhaps one of the OMS-1's or 2's can weigh in on this.

On paper, yes. I say that because according to a OMS-1, there have been instances where IF professors see promise/certain success in the particular student then yes. Perhaps one of the OMS-1's or 2's can weigh in on this.

I meant to get into MS program not for DO program lol.

Do classes meet 5 days a week on campus, and are all classes mandatory?

Kind of surprised your class has 87 students. In Middletown, I was told they had 63 last year and 75 this year. By the looks of it, they could easily have 100 students for this cycle, making it a lot harder to matriculate into the DO program...

Has anyone applied recently and been interviewed?

I applied recently. Application complere 12/5/16. I was informed my application was passed on to the admissions committee, but it's been silence ever since. I'm hoping the Holiday season has something to do with this? How about you?

I applied recently. Application complere 12/5/16. I was informed my application was passed on to the admissions committee, but it's been silence ever since. I'm hoping the Holiday season has something to do with this? How about you?
I actually applied on Nov. 2nd so been a long time. Nothing yet so far. I think it has to do with the holiday season. Good luck

I actually applied on Nov. 2nd so been a long time. Nothing yet so far. I think it has to do with the holiday season. Good luck

Thanks!! I thought you mentioned that you didn't take your MCAT, so wouldn't that make your application incomplete? Also, have you considered following up with a representative? It's been over a month for you and you submitted well before the Holiday season, so I'm just wondering what the process is like.... like are they waiting for a handful of certain applicants before they start reaching out to us?

Thanks!! I thought you mentioned that you didn't take your MCAT, so wouldn't that make your application incomplete? Also, have you considered following up with a representative? It's been over a month for you and you submitted well before the Holiday season, so I'm just wondering what the process is like.... like are they waiting for a handful of certain applicants before they start reaching out to us?
I took the MCAT but am retaking it again for a better score. Though they don't say but that 3.5 is not easy to get. I don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket. I will apply to other schools while in the program so in case I dont make the 3.5 but do decent I can get into other schools. They recently moved mine into the complete list. They thought I wasn't complete until I gave them a call.

-A
What are you going to do from this point? I'm sorry that it has been a tough semester for your friend.

Kind of surprised your class has 87 students. In Middletown, I was told they had 63 last year and 75 this year. By the looks of it, they could easily have 100 students for this cycle, making it a lot harder to matriculate into the DO program...
Yeah. Masters students receive a list with their student IDs and Advisor so I counted it from that list. I believed Touro made the mistake of "over-accepting" students into the masters and DO program this year. So yea it's already harder to matriculate.