TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chandini786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone has applied for TouroCOM's masters of science in interdisciplinary studies program? I've just sent in my application, and was wondering if anyone else had any information about it. I believe this is the first year they are starting this, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is indeed their first class. Are you interested in attended Touro Harlem? I know it's a pipeline to their Medical school.

I just heard about the program last week. Sent in my apps....lets see what happens. Did you get an interview already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is there info about this? I applied to Touro-NY and was waitlisted, but I can't seem to find anything about a post-bacc program.

O yea i sent in my application too for this program....did anyone here go for the inteview? how was it? what did they ask you? please let me know thanks! :)

Im going in on Tuesday for the interview.......

Did they tell you anything on how the interview would be?? i know its just 30 seats available...you know if they filled up already

I'll tell you how the interview goes and there are only 30 seats. Not sure howe many of those have been filled.

Is this program really just 2 months long, that seems like an awful short time to get a masters degree.

no its not just two months long...it is a year long...until next may so may 09

I thought so too but on the brochure it says 2 summer sessions? And I remember the director saying how your performance during the summer classes determines your acceptance to the med school.

Important Dates
April 15, 2008- Application deadline
Master’s Program starts-June 18, 2008
Summer session I: June 18-July 18,
Summer session II: July 21-August 15,

No i spoke with Mr. Obed over the phone and he told me its till next May '09...the program is a year long.

I wish it was just two months that would have been great! they sent you a letter for your interview or they called you up? Did they tell you what to bring with you?

Shoot I knew the 2 months was too good to be true, I guess Im gonna have to quit my job.....SMH!!!! They sent me an email invitation.

o yeah that sucks....well yeah its a year long...btw do they weigh the MCAT scores alot for this program? would you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt know, i find out how I did in 2 weeks. Their requirements aren't exactly high...I think they want atleast a 2.75 GPA and a 24 MCAT.

o yeah? a 24? it doesn't mention that anywhere...you sure? for this program? a 24 on the MCAT?

you're right it doesnt mention it, but im just assuming that's what it is.......a 2.75 bcmp and overall was mentioned......Im assuming their minimum GPA isn't anywhere above a 24?

well ok ...i hope there is someone who had the interview all already would reply...so we can know what to expect.....

by the way does anyone know the tuition for this program????

When I spoke Mr. Figeroa he said 10,000 but I'm not sure if that's per semester or not.

Anyone here who had the interview already?????? :confused:

hey guys!
i just got an email about my interview date as well.
mine is next week on tuesday.
i hope it goes well, because i'd definately love to be at TOUROCOM.

chandni - when did you send out your application? how long did it take them to send you the email?

i applied a few weeks ago.
the admissions committee was always fast about replying to me.
i'll be there for an interview on tuesday.

Hey chandini786 what time is your interview? I have mines on tuesday as well @ 1p.m.

Yeah mine is at 1pm as well!
I guess I'll be seeing you there!
I'm so anxious and nervous at the same time!
Silentreader, are you traveling for your interview or are you in NY if you don't mind my asking?

I'm in Long Island so I'll be taking the LIRR. What bout you?

yeah my interview is tom also...im nervous as well...did any of you guys speak to anyone who had the interview already??

I hate this anticipation!!!
It's driving me crazy!
How do you guys feel about your interviews?
Well, good luck to you guys, we'll be finding out soon enough!

I struggled in the tell me about yourself and tell me why you wanna be a doctor question.....cause i had a really simple answer (ive always wanted to, I want to help people) but I forced myself to say more than I wanted to because people before me spoke for 10 minutes.

I thought the difficult ethical question about a hypothetical situation went very well.

yeah that interview was long....but you guys think they would get back to us by tom...becasue i was looking through other forums for touro and they said they were pretty quick with responses....or did anyone get a response back...????

yeah i know what you guys mean.
i feel like there's so much more i should have said during the about me time.
i feel like i said what everyone else did just in different words.
but i suppose that's what happens as soon as you're done speaking you think of a billion things you should have said.
i hope they will get back to us soon!
i haven't heard anything yet.
good luck guys!

hey i was wondering if any of you guys hear from back from the school? will they be calling us or emailing us?

they said they would e-mail us and send us a letter in the mail.
haven't heard anything as of yet.

has anyone heard any good news yet??

hmmm no news...did you try calling them?

hey any news guys????? its been a week !!!!

i haven't called them.
i figured i should wait at least the week before i pester them.
i hope to hear something today!

it's been a week!
has anyone heard anything?
i still haven't.

Hey guys!

I'm having my interview next week for this program. Any hints/advice on how to prepare for this interview? I have no idea on what preparation I need. Will they just be asking questions specifically related to this Master's Program or can they ask anything?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Jenny

It's a group interview, come with a prepared and rehearsed speech on why you would like to become a doctor. Be prepared to answer questions on medical ethics.

are you sure you are having an interview for the master's program...because the last interview was on MAY 6th....

Any current students in this program? I wanted to know the basics of the program and if you would recommend it or not... Thanks! I will be sending my app soon..

Any current students in this program? I wanted to know the basics of the program and if you would recommend it or not... Thanks! I will be sending my app soon..

right, i need the same info on ths.

Hey all,
I wanted to ask if anyone who has participated in the program can give details as well as experiences they had this past year since it is fairly new. Also will like to know if you found it helpful? thanks in advance!

Last edited:
"The Master’s of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies program is a pipeline program into the TOUROCOM-Harlem D.O program. This program is a one year competitive program and is offering 30 seats to eligible candidates who are passionate about becoming a physician. The contact person is Mr. Daniel Wubneh.The curriculum is a lecture-based format which focuses on core basic medical sciences. These courses include Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry, anatomy and Microbiology as well as lectures on clinical medicine. The MS graduate students will gain a broader knowledge of medical school and is better equipped for the years ahead." Quoted by Mr. Obed Figueroa...He is the Director of Admissions for the DO school.

Hope this helps ...:idea:

I wonder how many MS students matriculate into the med program? Also what do you recommend to us new students?

I just interviewed for this masters program last thursday in harlem. It was a fun trip and I'll be happy to answer any questions since I asked the director many questions and toured the school. The director, Dr. Williams, said out of the 30 students in the masters program, 23 have been accepted for the med school class starting in the fall. That's pretty good. Honestly, I think its a great program. Just study your butt off for one year and get at least a 3.5 and you're automatically accepted for next years med school class! I hope I get accepted, I'll find out soon. The earlier you apply, the better chance you have of getting in since its rolling admissions. Any questions, I'm pretty active on these forums!!

Where is the masters application? I only see a master's brochure on their website.