Touro University of California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolpharmguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey- just wondering if anybody has any information on Touro University besides what's on the website.

What is the student life like? What does everyone do for fun?

What are the classes like?

What about the fact that they are only at pre-candidate status for accrediation?

Lots of opporunities for clincial rotations/jobs after graduation?

Any feedback would help a lot. I recently got accepted there and was curious for more info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you have interview with them? I am curious to know...

coolpharmguy said:
Hey- just wondering if anybody has any information on Touro University besides what's on the website.

What about the fact that they are only at pre-candidate status for accrediation?

Any feedback would help a lot. I recently got accepted there and was curious for more info. Thanks!

congrats...

Do u mind sharing ur GPA, major, and School?

Members don't see this ad :)
coolpharmguy said:

you should have gotten all that information during the interview because that's where i got mine. but either way.

people there all seem pretty happy to be there. the faculties are all extremely nice. i've talked to students attending, they all love the structure and the closeness they have w/ their teachers and fellow classmates. classes are broken down into blocks where each emphasize on each system of the body. within that block theres different areas of study pertaining to that system (there's like 4/5 diff areas which i dont remember, one is pharmakinetics??). they have a pretty nice lecture hall with big tv screens and wireless internet for learning. it has "break out" room surrounding it used for small group discussions and projects.

overall there's nothing to do on the island. the students just started a chapter of this pharmacy club (dont remember the name). but the area is very close to everything you need, SF, Tahoe, anything you like is probably around. i wouldn't worry about having nothing to do.

rotations? i have no clue actually. they said they have opportunities w/ kaiser, longs drugs, and a many others (again i don't remember what others) within , but it seems promising. how realistic or easy it is for good rotations or good job opportunities? i'm really not sure. i dont' think anyone would know yet since the school is brand new, so no student is on rotation.

accredidation: they'll have an on-site evaluation by the acpe in june for their next step of advancing to candidate status. hopefully everything goes well. and if all is well, they'll have accredidation when the first class graduates in 2009.

if you want info from the students go Here . there's more info on rotations, student life, etc, mostly pertaining to their college of osteopathic medicine thou.

I Had An Interview With Touro Back In Mid-november. At The End, I Was Put On The Waiting List As A Medium Alternate. Anyone, What Are My Chances???

S.O.S. said:
I Had An Interview With Touro Back In Mid-november. At The End, I Was Put On The Waiting List As A Medium Alternate. Anyone, What Are My Chances???

Hey S.O.S.

I interviewed at Touro late October and was put on the High Alternate list. However, even as a high alt. I don't think I'll get in this year because I talked to ppl from the forums that interviewed and were placed on the waitlist last year and they all said that there was no movement of the waitlist whatsoever last year. :( They told me that Touro just keeps interviewing until there are no more seats. If you think about it- that is alot of interviews. They started late September and are going past March.

Do you guys mind sharing your stats? (GPA, PCAT, Experience, etc), those who are waitlisted and accepted. I'm originally from the bay area and I'm really looking into this school (location is a + for me), but I can't find that much information on just how hard it is to get into Touro since its so new.

You can PM me if, it would be very helpful!! I'm a current junior in undergrad.

RyanRyan said:
Do you guys mind sharing your stats? (GPA, PCAT, Experience, etc), those who are waitlisted and accepted. I'm originally from the bay area and I'm really looking into this school (location is a + for me), but I can't find that much information on just how hard it is to get into Touro since its so new.

You can PM me if, it would be very helpful!! I'm a current junior in undergrad.
science and overall about 3.1. did some volunteering at a local community hospital, then switched to volunteering at an impatient clinic at a va hospital. i have a bs in psychobiology from ucla. if you have any questions write me back!!

hey you're not the only one. I received mine last week stating that I am a medium alternate. I'm not really sure how the Early Accept works though. Anyone?

I was put on the med. alternate list last year while my girlfriend was put on the high alternate list. Well, it didn't move at all and now I'm still at school trying to boost the GPA. (My gf got into Loma Linda though!)

Anyways, I applied again this year for "fun" but didn't even get an interview. Then again, when I didn't get in last year, I just worked in the finance field so I didn't do anything to improve my chances.

Just wait until next year. Can't wait!

And if you guys are curious, the campus is pretty new but the area (Mare Island) is a dump. Mosquito problems year round, out in the middle of dirt, and very humid during summer. However, the school itself is very promising and I would have no problem attending that school. 2 yr academic and then 2 years of clerkship! Can't beat that.

eddie269 said:
I was put on the med. alternate list last year while my girlfriend was put on the high alternate list. Well, it didn't move at all and now I'm still at school trying to boost the GPA. (My gf got into Loma Linda though!)

Anyways, I applied again this year for "fun" but didn't even get an interview. Then again, when I didn't get in last year, I just worked in the finance field so I didn't do anything to improve my chances.

And if you guys are curious, the campus is pretty new but the area (Mare Island) is a dump. Mosquito problems year round, out in the middle of dirt, and very humid during summer. However, the school itself is very promising and I would have no problem attending that school. 2 yr academic and then 2 years of clerkship! Can't beat that.

Hey. Can u share ur stats? Do u think ur interview went bad and thats why u didn't get in?

steveysmith54 said:
Hey. Can u share ur stats? Do u think ur interview went bad and thats why u didn't get in?

yay for touro!!!

eddie269 said:

Hi there! Did you send in additional letters of recommendation, letter of intent and updated your trancript at all? I really want to get in this year. So that means you weren't offered Early accept either?

science and overall about 3.1. did some volunteering at a local community hospital, then switched to volunteering at an impatient clinic at a va hospital. i have a bs in psychobiology from ucla. if you have any questions write me back!!

So S.O.S., did you get in? I sort of have similar stats (3.1 GPA frm UCLA w/ Psychology degree, over 40 hrs. of volunteer work at a free clinic) and would like to know my chances. Will be applying this year though (2010).

did you hear from anyone

hey prepharm students
i just got invited to join the school, i was wondering if any one decided to attend the fall at Turo
thanks