Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Interviewed 11/14.

Will be down to answer any questions that prospective students have about the program/school/area!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Interviewed 11/14.

Will be down to answer any questions that prospective students have about the program/school/area!

Congrats on your acceptance! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? My interview is scheduled for January 10. Any tips on how I can best prepare for the interview with 7 weeks to prepare? I know it is kind of early, but this is my very first interview so I want to get a leg up.

Congrats on your acceptance! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? My interview is scheduled for January 10. Any tips on how I can best prepare for the interview with 7 weeks to prepare? I know it is kind of early, but this is my very first interview so I want to get a leg up.

My stats were all right- they were 3.6/508.

Going into the interview, I reviewed a fair portion of my application- specifically why I wanted to enter medicine and also my activities just in case they brought them up (they ended up doing so). I spent a good portion of time practicing answering questions in the mirror so I could see what mistakes I made and how I could rephrase answers.

The interview was really pleasant: the faculty members were pretty nice (we actually had a professor in the PT department talking to us while we waited for to interview) and the interviewers were very professional and made an honest effort to get to know me- I talked to them quite a bit after sending thank you letters too. They asked a number of ethical questions actually, so be careful for those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any students who already interviewed/accepted or current TUNCOM students comment on the school community/atmosphere? In terms of what its like outside of class, student organizations, community outreach, research, and what types of changes are coming for the curriculumn? Interviewing here Monday and would like to know a bit more about these things. Couldn't find a ton of specifics on the website

Can any students who already interviewed/accepted or current TUNCOM students comment on the school community/atmosphere? In terms of what its like outside of class, student organizations, community outreach, research, and what types of changes are coming for the curriculumn? Interviewing here Monday and would like to know a bit more about these things. Couldn't find a ton of specifics on the website
Most of this has been discussed throughout the thread. Please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions

Reactions: 1 users
You start the day with a group presentation, the woman presenting to us happened to have an admissions position so be sure to make a good impression. Then some people will start interviews and others will go on tour. Interview is only 20 minutes and very conversational with one or two faculty members, it flys by so be prepared to answer thoroughly but kinda quickly. After that they have kosher lunch (pretty good pizza) and have a student panel. Ask a lot of questions and be yourself is my only tip.

does anyone know if class of 2021 has a facebook page? I wasnt able to find one
I haven't found a Facebook page either. May have to create a new one.

FINALLY received the email that my application is complete and now under review. For the people that received II's, how accurate was the 4-6 week wait period?

FINALLY received the email that my application is complete and now under review. For the people that received II's, how accurate was the 4-6 week wait period?

Pretty accurate. Good luck.

I haven't found a Facebook page either. May have to create a new one.

The student ambassador will make one. I am not sure when. He will do this because he will have the list of accepted students and he will approve only accepted students and current DO students to the group.

The student ambassador will make one. I am not sure when. He will do this because he will have the list of accepted students and he will approve only accepted students and current DO students to the group.
That's great! Thanks, vlazlo.

Is this a separate email from the one they send that says your "supplemental application has been received" and it may take 6 - 8 weeks for review process? Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I'm a second year DO student at Touro NV. If you have any questions let me know and I'll answer as best as I can.

Also, look up the Touro University Nevada Admissions page for updates/info/help on interviews and deadlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I'm a second year DO student at Touro NV. If you have any questions let me know and I'll answer as best as I can.

Also, look up the Touro University Nevada Admissions page for updates/info/help on interviews and deadlines.

Hello,

Interviewed on the 28th. From looking at the thread, responses could be coming out as early as next week...but Tava said December 21st... :(

For others that interviewed on the 28th, did you get a good cop bad cop vibe?

Anyone get the final review email 11/16 and still waiting for a II? It's been about 2 weeks....

Hello,

Interviewed on the 28th. From looking at the thread, responses could be coming out as early as next week...but Tava said December 21st... :(

Yeah, I saw some that were as early as a week too. That would be cool. One of mine was more serious than the other, but that's the only vibe I got. I thought they were nice and really enjoyed the school! Here's hoping for good news!

Anyone get the final review email 11/16 and still waiting for a II? It's been about 2 weeks....
Got my final review email 11/22, hoping to hear good news soon as well.

Hello,

Tava told our interview group that the we would know by November 15th. I received an early congratulations email from Tava a few days prior, but the official acceptance email came exactly on the 15th. Good luck!

Hello,

Yes they definitely had an almost interrogation interview style. I was afraid I was doing bad until I got out and heard from other people it was similar with them. I also emailed a thank you to both my interviewers and they replied that I did really well and they hope to see me in the Fall so hopefully that's not just something they say to everyone!

I'm glad I had my first interview experience at this school. I was overall very impressed with the community at TUN.

The faculty want you succeed. Just like how osteopathic medicine is patient-based, the updated curriculum under a new & experienced dean (Dr. Dougherty) will be student-based and individualized for ensuring a student's success in boards and in the match.

I also think they try to match you to interviewers who will better understand your background. For example, because I worked in an ER and because I'm hearing-challenged, I was matched with a DO with ER experience & a DO with communications experience, respectively. That's probably why they have this "interrogation style" as others are putting it. They want to dive deep into how you process information and form opinions.

Open-file. They have everything except your GPA or MCAT score. 20 minutes go by fast so keep your answers succinct and to the point. At some points, the interview can become conversational and at other points turn serious with thought-provoking questions. Be relaxed and personable, but also stay poised and sharp.

Send thank you notes! My interviewers responded almost immediately to them.

Good luck to everyone interviewing in the new year.

Reactions: 1 users
I called yesterday and the lady told me that there is another 4-6 week wait after getting the "final review" email

has anyone gotten off the "interview waitlist" yet?

has anyone gotten off the "interview waitlist" yet?

I don't imagine the waitlist will move till very late in the cycle if at all. Another school told me that the waitlist is for "interview as needed" students. So if the school is popular then they likely won't need to circle back to the waitlist. It's pretty lame really...

II just now, LizzyM 67, complete and under review 11/7, OOS!

Interviewed late November. They said we should hear back by the 21st. Hoping for some good news this week!

Interviewed late November. They said we should hear back by the 21st. Hoping for some good news this week!

The waiting is the worst part! Interview felt fine but with only ~130 spots to go around...not getting my hopes up

Heading to Vegas for a vacation and I just read the email lol Accepted! Been a lonnng time coming.

Reactions: 7 users
accepted via email as well! interviewed 11/28
congratulations everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my acceptance email this morning!!!! Woohoo! interviewed 12/05

Reactions: 6 users
accepted!

Do we have a Facebook page for the class of 2021?

Reactions: 2 users
The Facebook group for the 2020 class and 2019 was created in January so I can guess it might be made the same time for 2021. So potential expect the Student admissions rep to make it then. You will have plenty of time to get to know everyone before school starts plus I am sure the class of 2020 will offer to get the group together before school starts.

Hey I'm trying to get by without buying a car. Does anyone think that's manageable throughout the first 2 years at least?

Any information on what the class schedule is for the first year? I misplaced the packet of info we were handed at the interview :/

Hey I'm trying to get by without buying a car. Does anyone think that's manageable throughout the first 2 years at least?

Any information on what the class schedule is for the first year? I misplaced the packet of info we were handed at the interview :/

Only way that can work is living within walking distance, which is possible, or getting a bike. Unless they change something you are not going to be anywhere but campus the first 2 years. Now you also have to figure out grocery and other stuff.

Does anyone know when waitlist movement begins?
I think I remember them saying the wait list doesn't start moving until they complete all their interviews, maybe sometime in March? Don't remember how long their interviews go until.

declined my seat today.. would've loved to destress with those slot machines after exams, but alas!
happy new year everyone!! :hello:

Can all the people declining their acceptances give some insight into why? It's a little worrying to see so many people declining. I have until tomorrow to pay the deposit and I have to decide between here and PCOM-GA.

Can all the people declining their acceptances give some insight into why? It's a little worrying to see so many people declining. I have until tomorrow to pay the deposit and I have to decide between here and PCOM-GA.

I think that people that decline TUNCOM do so because they got an offer from a school closer to home or they don't prefer to have the KCU curriculum.

A lot of applicants are applying from California because the school is close to home. If they get an acceptance in Cali or into a MD school that is the typical reason. Choose a school that you feel is right for you and don't worry about what others are doing is my best advice.

Thanks! I actually really like the KCU curriculum and it seemed like they have good rotations due to being the only medical school in the area up until recently. I was just worried because it seemed like there was something I was not seeing.

I think the system for making deposit is in EST. I am not completely sure, but it is better to be early than to be late.

I agree with @vlazlo that choosing the school you feel is best for you is the most important thing. only you can determine the factors which are most important to you.

my personal (and very subjective) reasons for declining my seat are:
- personal feel during interview day. unfortunately I felt that the entire day was rather geared towards pitching the school to the students rather than addressing student concerns. of course a main goal of every school is to do this, but I felt like that atmosphere here was much more pronounced than at other schools I interviewed at, and I wasn't a fan.
- the emphasis was board scores, board scores, and more board scores.
- general approach of staff and students seemed to be glossing over some areas where TUN may be lacking rather than being transparent about them. for example, when a student asked about the research opportunities available, the answer was something along the lines of "we're working on it but research isn't that important when considering residencies anyway, so don't worry about it." when another student asked whether the non-P/F grading scheme was stressful, the response was "you shouldn't choose a school based on whether the grading scheme is P/F anyway." it felt condescending and somewhat belittling. I get it -- thinking your school is awesome is fundamentally important for both personal and professional reasons, but that kind of dodginess is something I didn't feel that I jived with.
- the student ambassadors who answered questions towards the end were really low-energy. this may just have been the fact that it was late and they had had a long day of classes, but it didn't end the day on a high note or do anything to offset the not so great feelings I'd had the entire day.
- the warehouse feel made me pretty depressed.
- some personal interactions with the staff and admissions office made me hesitate.

my interviewers were great and I enjoyed meeting many of the other interviewees. I really liked the henderson area and proximity of las vegas (plus it is really close to home for me), but ultimately I didn't feel like TUN and I were a good fit.