Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know the deadline is still in a few months, but does anyone know if it's too late to submit a primary to this school to still get reasonable consideration for an interview?

I would always say to apply because the only time you know you 100% won't get an interview...is if you don't apply at all. I actually debated submitting one for the longest time because people were telling me it was too late, and then finally submitted my primary in January because why not. I received an II 2 weeks later and was accepted by the end of that month. Just do it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take that advice with a huge grain of salt - only apply if you are really ready to - and consider how much a year of extra waiting in the grand scope of things. Applying "just to see" or before you are 100% ready is a terrible idea. You become a reapplicant and at many schools you lose a year of eligibility. Applying late puts you at a huge disadvantage - and while it's still possible to get II's and acceptances, you have to calculate your personal risk vs reward.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take that advice with a huge grain of salt - only apply if you are really ready to - and consider how much a year of extra waiting in the grand scope of things. Applying "just to see" or before you are 100% ready is a terrible idea. You become a reapplicant and at many schools you lose a year of eligibility. Applying late puts you at a huge disadvantage - and while it's still possible to get II's and acceptances, you have to calculate your personal risk vs reward.
What do you mean lose a year of eligibility? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean lose a year of eligibility? thanks!
Not sure what he means by "lose a year of eligibility" but being a reapplicant puts you at a disadvantage because you must have significant improvement to your application. A reapplicant who got rejected the first time and is applying the second time around with nothing more to add will most likely get rejected.

Many schools only allow you to apply a certain # of times - like for example UW only allows 3 times, it's school to school though.

I agree with what Mavric1298 has said. I definitely don't think you should just throw in your application just for kicks. I was assuming you had already done everything you wanted to make your application good and were already applying this cycle to other schools (and were wondering if you should also apply to this one). If you have already done AMCAS for instance, feel good about that application (personal statement/activities/LOR, etc), and can quickly translate that into a AACOMAS application, I don't think it's absolutely a no to apply to Touro. If you don't want to wait another year, get your primary in within this week, and pre-write the secondary so that you can submit it as soon as you get the secondary.

If you haven't yet put together any application, I would wait until next cycle. Also, if you feel like your application could be improved within the next year, then I would wait until next cycle. It's only a few months until June when you can submit again. Your chances are definitely improved the earlier you submit an application.

Medium level alternate list today. Interviewed 12/12, thought it went pretty well but oh well!

Accepted today via email! Interviewed 12/5
Didn't get many questions come my way so I actually wasn't sure how my interview really went.

Hey guys

Apparently one of my letters of recommendation caused confusion because it was by my research professor who I guess didn't mention that I did research for credit and grades in the letter. However the school accepted thr letter after I explained to them. Shortly after the letter I recieved an email saying that my file was complete and this was way back on November 17th and I have no heard anything back. I'm so damn nervous!!!

is there a facebook group for accepted students?

Does Touro CA send rejections?

Interviewing here on 2/07!

I think at this point I'm probably fighting for a waitlist spot, butbetter than nothing!
How is the campus and area as a whole? Was the group interview difficult? I'm really not used to that format.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any movement lately? Last I heard from them was a complete email in late September. I submitted TUNCOM later and just got an II...getting nervous over here :nailbiting:

Has anyone had any movement lately? Last I heard from them was a complete email in late September. I submitted TUNCOM later and just got an II...getting nervous over here :nailbiting:

Did you just recieve an interview? I don't know what ll means....

I've been complete snice Nov 17th and this is my top choice school so I'm hoping for a interview soon

Did you just recieve an interview? I don't know what ll means....

I've been complete snice Nov 17th and this is my top choice school so I'm hoping for a interview soon

Yeah, I got an interview invitation from Touro Nevada, but I'm still waiting to hear anything back from TUCOM. If it's any comfort, I've been complete since 9/6. Starting to think this is a rejection/they lost my application :(

Yeah, I got an interview invitation from Touro Nevada, but I'm still waiting to hear anything back from TUCOM. If it's any comfort, I've been complete since 9/6. Starting to think this is a rejection/they lost my application :(

That sucks. Hopefully they just received a lot of applications this year and are taking time to just go over them all. When were you complete at Touro Nev? I didn't receive a complete email until 12/9 :(
I'm losing hope that even if I do get an interview invite, it's gonna be for a waitlist spot :(

If it makes you feel better, it took 5 months for me to get my interview invite...

Interviewing here on 2/07!

I think at this point I'm probably fighting for a waitlist spot, butbetter than nothing!
How is the campus and area as a whole? Was the group interview difficult? I'm really not used to that format.

Campus is - uh - interesting? It's on a mostly abandoned military base island. The surrounding area isn't exactly fantastic either. The impression I got is most people were either on Mare Island or were living a bit further away at places like Benicia. I would google street view a bit around the campus beforehand. I was a bit shocked when I showed up - it was very unexpected. That said - it wasn't horrible. It was just, strange?

Reactions: 2 users
That sucks. Hopefully they just received a lot of applications this year and are taking time to just go over them all. When were you complete at Touro Nev? I didn't receive a complete email until 12/9 :(
I'm losing hope that even if I do get an interview invite, it's gonna be for a waitlist spot :(

I was complete 10/14 at TUNCOM. They send status updates regarding where you are in the process. I was wondering if TUCOM might be doing the same. I guess I'll have to keep playing the waiting game with them?

If it makes you feel better, it took 5 months for me to get my interview invite...

That makes me feel a whole lot better. Still hoping for some love from TUCOM! :sour:

TUCOM continues to interview through May and to my knowledge continues to outright accept students as long as they are still interviewing.
Also, at least as far as the class of 2020 is concerned, there was a pretty large amount of movement off the waitlist, so even if you were to get waitlisted it is definitely possible to get in ultimately.
Last year they received almost 6,000 applications, it takes a while! Don't give up hope :)

Right, I've been complete for a while and assume they've seen my app by now. It'd be nice if they let us know if we're on an interview waitlist or what. I'd rather know I'm rejected now than to have my app hanging around and getting the email in May.

Right, I've been complete for a while and assume they've seen my app by now. It'd be nice if they let us know if we're on an interview waitlist or what. I'd rather know I'm rejected now than to have my app hanging around and getting the email in May.

I hate being the bearer of bad news - but the app process is a cold hearted joy killer - and most places hold off sending rejections to the very end of the cycle. Hell, I had 2 schools from last cycle that never sent me anything and never rejected me on the portal, they just expired my login when the next cycle started. I still have 22 pending apps out there (2 acceptances, 2 post II waiting to hears, 3 rejections) and fully expect to not hear anything until May on almost all of the pending ones. It's just how they roll

I hate being the bearer of bad news - but the app process is a cold hearted joy killer - and most places hold off sending rejections to the very end of the cycle. Hell, I had 2 schools from last cycle that never sent me anything and never rejected me on the portal, they just expired my login when the next cycle started. I still have 22 pending apps out there (2 acceptances, 2 post II waiting to hears, 3 rejections) and fully expect to not hear anything until May on almost all of the pending ones. It's just how they roll

Haha, nah I know. Not my first rodeo. Just unfortunate. There are those schools that do send update emails though, and favorable or unfavorable I appreciate them.

Declining my offer here..hoping it goes to one of you!

I've literally been waiting to do this for what feels like FOREVER but.... II!!!!!! My first one!!!

Reactions: 3 users
@rosesarered

Congrats!!! Do you mind telling me when you were complete? Stats? I've been complete here since Nov 17 and haven't heard anything back :( infact, I've been complete at most schools since November and not heard anything back from anyone :(

@rosesarered

Congrats!!! Do you mind telling me when you were complete? Stats? I've been complete here since Nov 17 and haven't heard anything back :( infact, I've been complete at most schools since November and not heard anything back from anyone :(
I was complete early November. Low ish MCAT (<507), Avg GPA

Just want to check, is there any paperwork we need to fill out other than the immunization/medical stuff by the first 60 days post-acceptance? (Already did my deposit forms and such)

Is anyone willing to give a rundown of the interview? Like I know its a group interview, but what kinds of questions do they focus on? Anything would be helpful! Thanks!

In total, my group each had 3 questions, one from each adcom member. So honestly, it was really short (think 4 people having 60 minutes.).

In total, my group each had 3 questions, one from each adcom member. So honestly, it was really short (think 4 people having 60 minutes.).

Oh ok, that does seem pretty short. Should I expect the usual "why medicine/DO" questions or like ethical scenarios.

Oh ok, that does seem pretty short. Should I expect the usual "why medicine/DO" questions or like ethical scenarios.

I don't remember - but all my other II's had us agree to question confidentiality so I'm not going to give out any specifics. However, you should prepare to be yourself, know your application inside and out, don't try to memorize stuff, and have enough knowledge of medical ethics that you could answer ethical questions without prior specific knowledge. You should have some understanding of the healthcare system, ACA, what's going on with repeal. All the things you should be prepared for at any med school interview.

I don't remember - but all my other II's had us agree to question confidentiality so I'm not going to give out any specifics. However, you should prepare to be yourself, know your application inside and out, don't try to memorize stuff, and have enough knowledge of medical ethics that you could answer ethical questions without prior specific knowledge. You should have some understanding of the healthcare system, ACA, what's going on with repeal. All the things you should be prepared for at any med school interview.

fair enough, thanks!

Anyone get that email saying they have to complete their health requirements and documents within 60 days after acceptance? I just checked my spam and learned about this and it's past 60 days for me already.

Anyone get that email saying they have to complete their health requirements and documents within 60 days after acceptance? I just checked my spam and learned about this and it's past 60 days for me already.

I got it as well but I'm within 60 days

I didn't know about this until I saw your post! I checked my spam and it was there too. I'm also over 60 days now.

Hmm, I didn't get an e-mail, despite having uploaded all my documents over the past 60 days. Would you mind copying and pasting what the e-mail said?

The e-mail had an attachment that basically said we need to make an account with CastleBranch

I didn't know about this until I saw your post! I checked my spam and it was there too. I'm also over 60 days now.

I'm going to call and ask tomorrow. I can get it done soon, but I think we should be fine if we paid the deposit already?

Edit: Called, they say it's not really a deadline and you're fine if it is past 60 days.

Last edited:
II today. Interviewing on 2/21.

Completed 12/22, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 509 MCAT, nonTrad, OOS

Just got an II as well. Was complete waaaay back in like august. I will be declining as I already got into my top choice DO. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

You were complete 12/22? That's the fastest turn around I've seen so far. Congrats!
Submitted primary 10/1, got invite to do secondary 11/4, submitted secondary 11/20, didn't get application completed email until 12/22

For those of you who interviewed, would you recommend renting a car or just using uber?

All I'm going to be doing is going to my hotel and campus, nothing else really.

I rented and was really glad I did. I also stayed at Comfort Inn Vallejo - the location was actually pretty convenient. The place was fine, not horrible, not great, but convenient