Touro-Middletown vs. KCU-Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ajay00Desi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm stuck between Touro's Middletown campus and KCU's Joplin. I got a late acceptance to Joplin so now I have to submit a deposit and I've been back and forth between both:

KCU Joplin
Pros
  • The attached name of KCU, professors have been training at the main campus
  • The administration seemed organized (though my interview was at the main campus)
  • Its curriculum is made to keep all systems fresh in your head between years, which would probably be useful
  • Cost of living is dirt cheap
  • Lectures are recorded and attendance is not mandatory
  • High pass rate for COMLEX AND USMLE
  • I would have a chance to transfer over to the main campus
Cons
  • Much farther away, I'd need to fly back home to the east coast
  • It seems like they push staying in state? I'm not interested in rural medicine (quite the opposite)
  • Little to no track record

Touro-Middletown
Pros
  • 5 hour (drivable) distance to where I live
  • Flipped Classroom is useful to move at my own pace, though attendance is mandatory for the "clicker sessions"
  • 3D anatomy labs? (we didn't get to see them during the tour since the lab was closed)
  • Would be great since I want to end up somewhere east coast (NY, NJ, MD)
  • <subjective> being in NY might be better for rotations? Even if I'm in a suburb I would likely see more than I would in MO; though I could be totally wrong
  • High COMLEX scores, though I heard they don't let you take the exam if you're not up to par
Cons
  • A little more expensive (but comparably so, not the biggest difference in the world)
  • Environment is a tad dull, though it's only an afterthought, most likely won't be able to go too many places while studying
  • Rotations seem like they are in smaller hospitals
  • Administration is friendly but seems a little unorganized

Summary: I'm looking toward emergency medicine (or at least medicine in a more urban area). I'm seeing the better looking curriculum at KCU-Joplin/their investment into students but they are more into rural medicine. Touro-Middletown's location might give me a better chance at staying in the east coast area which is where I want to be/it's closer to home but they don't come across as strong as KCU. ANY thoughts would be appreciated, I've got to decide soon :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose KCU. I don't know where you got they are into rural medicine.... every DO school says that but it isn't really true for KCU.

If it were me, KCU no question. Old and therefore well established school, better rotation sites, high pass rates for tests etc. Even if its not the main campus, its part of the KCU system, good name and you can transfer to the main campus. As far as emergency medicine, a city doesn't necessarily mean seeing more, in fact you may see more in MO. If you are at the only ER for miles in MO, you will see anything and everything, where as in NY you may not see things that go to local specialty centers. Also considering all the questionable things I've heard about Touro-Middletown, true or not, I wouldn't roll the dice over KSU

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that Freeman Health in Joplin (all KCU-J students will have the option to rotate in Joplin if they want to stay) has an EM residency. That means opportunity to network.

If it were me, KCU no question. Old and therefore well established school, better rotation sites, high pass rates for tests etc. Even if its not the main campus, its part of the KCU system, good name and you can transfer to the main campus. As far as emergency medicine, a city doesn't necessarily mean seeing more, in fact you may see more in MO. If you are at the only ER for miles in MO, you will see anything and everything, where as in NY you may not see things that go to local specialty centers. Also considering all the questionable things I've heard about Touro-Middletown, true or not, I wouldn't roll the dice over KSU

You can't transfer to the KC campus from Joplin, but agree with the rest!

Reactions: 1 users
Apologies, I was told it was possible to transfer; and again for any inaccuracies, I did a little perusing on some other threads and posted what I saw (guess that's what I get for not fact checking, lol). Thanks so much for the advice, I think I see KCU on my horizon.

Reactions: 1 users