Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Touro isn't pass fail is it? If it's letter grades, are there +/- grades as well?? Anyone care to talk a little about the grading during the 4 years??

Members don't see this ad.

Im waiting to hear about my loans =\ how long ago did u fill out fafsa? Also did u ever see an 'amount' on the quikpay system for the breakdown of what we owe. I remember some email with a 24k figure but it had no breakdown or anything about where i could view an actually broken down bill

When you get your financial aid award they'll have you log into the financial aid self service portal and there is a full breakdown there. Here is what my breakdown is for Middletown (probably similar if you're Harlem, just add to room and board and transportation)
image.jpg

When you get your financial aid award they'll have you log into the financial aid self service portal and there is a full breakdown there. Here is what my breakdown is for Middletown (probably similar if you're Harlem, just add to room and board and transportation)View attachment 192915

81k!! Im also Middletown but woooow. It says 'room and board' is 20k though, but dorm rooms said they were $9099 for the whole yr and then u pick a meal plan which was max i think 5k.... why is it suddenly 20k total? o_O.... now i feel like i messed up. Would you happen to know why or is it an estimate? It still rly doesnt tell me what we would owe specifically for 1st semester/yr. Maybe im expecting something strange, my undergrad uni gave us a bill that said tuition $X for classes and then $Y for dorm and finally total $Z each semester to pay by a deadline. So say if you wanted to pay for your dorm urself and ur tuition via loans you knew how much you should pay and leave on balance for loans to cover... Is this not the norm? Sorry if im rly oblivious

Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly not 81k. It's a slight over-estimate to give you some financial flexibility. I mean..books and supplies $4k? It doesn't cost that much right? (God I hope not..)

Figure out tuition + room+ food + misc living expense and voila= What you need to take out in loan.

To answer my own question, you should only take out what you need. I just figured out the Gov't got rid of subsidized loan for grad/professional students circa 2012. I can't fathom to think how bad this would be for dental students with their $80k annual tuition (yes just for tuition only)...:scared:

81k!! Im also Middletown but woooow. It says 'room and board' is 20k though, but dorm rooms said they were $9099 for the whole yr and then u pick a meal plan which was max i think 5k.... why is it suddenly 20k total? o_O.... now i feel like i messed up. Would you happen to know why or is it an estimate? It still rly doesnt tell me what we would owe specifically for 1st semester/yr. Maybe im expecting something strange, my undergrad uni gave us a bill that said tuition $X for classes and then $Y for dorm and finally total $Z each semester to pay by a deadline. So say if you wanted to pay for your dorm urself and ur tuition via loans you knew how much you should pay and leave on balance for loans to cover... Is this not the norm? Sorry if im rly oblivious

This is definitely just an estimate. You also have to consider that this may be for those living off campus who pay $1k+/mo in rent, pay utilities and cable, and buy their own food, whereas this would be a closer figure. Also, join the Middletown fb page because we have a Dropbox set up with all the digital textbooks, so unless you prefer hard copies, you will pay nothing for texts. When you go onto the financial aid website, the loan amount is an editable field, which allows you to take less than your maximum offer if necessary. Also, this is only for one year, so don't hesitate to take just a little more money and you can be more accurate next year :) if you take too much you can always make a larger loan payment during school to save the interest.

Can schools decrease your financial aid offer before you accept/reduce/decline??

Any movement on the wait list at middletown? I feel like nothing is happening! Lol

Thank you for all the answers guys! Ill def join the fb group, i kept meaning to but it just kept slipping my mind, i rly only use fb to chat anyway. Looking forward to meeting u all in July =)

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students care to talk about the work study offered here?

So I just got accepted to their MS for Interdisciplinary Sciences while i'm still on the waitlist (Middletown). Think its worth it to accept? I feel like they're not even contemplating accepting me off the waitlist just to fill their spots in the new MS program.

Touro isn't pass fail is it? If it's letter grades, are there +/- grades as well?? Anyone care to talk a little about the grading during the 4 years??
At the orientation, I was inforned that they have an A, B, C and F grading system. It is very hard to get an F unless you do absolutely nothing..the majority of the class gets a B and the curve is drawn according to how the previous year's students performed..so you are competing not with your classmates but rather trying to outshine pformer student's progress.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just got accepted to their MS for Interdisciplinary Sciences while i'm still on the waitlist (Middletown). Think its worth it to accept? I feel like they're not even contemplating accepting me off the waitlist just to fill their spots in the new MS program.

I would look into the program. Most schools offer a MS program to "strengthen your application for next year", but it will NOT guarantee your acceptance for future application cycles. Other schools have MS programs and if you maintain above a set GPA, you will automatically be given an interview at the school. I would recommend that you work on any weak points in your application over this next year if you indeed do not get accepted. If you have a low GPA, do a one year MS program and bust your a$$ for a 4.0.. If you have a poor MCAT, take a solid 2-3 months to study for the new MCAT and retake it.. If you have poor EC's, start volunteering, shadowing, or doing research. The 2015-2016 application cycle should be open, so I would definitely get working on your application ASAP as well. But above all, don't lose faith in the process.. you'll get there eventually!! Best of luck!

So is like the only way to fail out if you get an F? or will you fail if you get too many C's??

Members don't see this ad :)
So is like the only way to fail out if you get an F? or will you fail if you get too many C's??
I think you get put on probation if your overall gpa falls below a certain level..i believe a 2.5 :?

Random question, I was wondering if there was any restriction in scrub color for the labs?

Random question, I was wondering if there was any restriction in scrub color for the labs?

You can wear any color! There's no restriction. OMM lab has a requirements for shorts and no razorback bras for the girls. I would get something cheap for gross anatomy lab cause you'll probably want to throw it out afterwards.

Last edited:
At the orientation, I was inforned that they have an A, B, C and F grading system. It is very hard to get an F unless you do absolutely nothing..the majority of the class gets a B and the curve is drawn according to how the previous year's students performed..so you are competing not with your classmates but rather trying to outshine pformer student's progress.
Wow that's pretty interesting, I don't think I've ever heard of a school doing this before. Curious as to why they do that as opposed to just setting a range for the ABCF grades that don't change year to year (like 90-100 is an A, 80-90 is a B, and so on.)

So I think I was able to find a prerecorded lecture on blackboard about diarrhea and IBS. My link for the iTunes U videos doesn't work. Can anyone provide a sample of how classes/schedules are day to day?? How are the prerecorded lectures?

Did anyone apply to Touro NY in December and receive a secondary and interview? I want to apply late this cycle but would like to know if anyone was in my shoes and stood a chance. the deadline to apply is in April, not sure how they would take an application that gets there by January.

Did anyone apply to Touro NY in December and receive a secondary and interview? I want to apply late this cycle but would like to know if anyone was in my shoes and stood a chance. the deadline to apply is in April, not sure how they would take an application that gets there by January.

I submitted my AACOMAS earlier, but this is my timeline if you're curious:

Secondary provided - 11/26/2014
Secondary submitted - 02/22/2015
Completed - 02/27/2015
II - 02/27/2015
Interviewed - 03/09/2015
Accepted - 03/27/2015 (Middletown)

I would apply as soon as possible. While submitting in December will not make it impossible for you to be accepted, it will certainly not help you. Keep in mind that Middletown is a new site so acceptance will become harder in the upcoming years as their average MCAT rises, more prospective students apply, and acceptance becomes more selective. Pretty much the same applies to Harlem as well, but they shouldn't see as dramatic of a change.

015-05-19: wait-listed
I would apply as soon as possible. While submitting in December will not make it impossible for you to be accepted, it will certainly not help you. Keep in mind that Middletown is a new site so acceptance will become harder in the upcoming years as their average MCAT rises, more prospective students apply, and acceptance becomes more selective. Pretty much the same applies to Harlem as well, but they shouldn't see as dramatic of a change.

Hi, thanks for the response. I do want to apply early but i am retaking 1 Physics class in the fall, and can't apply until grades for that have come out. Hence i say December. I live in nyc, so of course am aiming at Harlem because its a 30min subway ride for me to get there. My cgpa is 3.3 and expecting a decent mcat 500+
.. All this adds on with excellent ecs lors etc etc. i just neeeedd to get a better grade in Physics.

Are you a current student?

Has anyone received any info on orientation yet? Haven't seen any info via email yet.

Hmm...nothing in my Touro mail box. I'll be a Middletown student, maybe they haven't sent their emails yet. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hmm...nothing in my Touro mail box. I'll be a Middletown student, maybe they haven't sent their emails yet. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Ahh yes I'm at Harlem and it was just some info. They said an official packet would be sent soon

Nothing about orientation from Touro MT yet

Has anyone gotten any info about what we might need to get before classes start? I know some schools require everyone to buy a stethoscope/own microscope/specific scrubs etc? Thanks!

Has anyone gotten any info about what we might need to get before classes start? I know some schools require everyone to buy a stethoscope/own microscope/specific scrubs etc? Thanks!

You'll need scrubs (any brand or color), a long white lab coat for anatomy lab (and probably a really cheap pair of scrubs to wear underneath), and a stethoscope with both a diaphram and a bell (Littmann Cardiology III has been the best model recommended but you can get any one that you prefer). The rest of the instruments will be detailed during PD lab when you begin class so I would not buy anything else just yet.

Anyone know if there's been any waitlist movement recently in Middletown also ?

You'll need scrubs (any brand or color), a long white lab coat for anatomy lab (and probably a really cheap pair of scrubs to wear underneath), and a stethoscope with both a diaphram and a bell (Littmann Cardiology III has been the best model recommended but you can get any one that you prefer). The rest of the instruments will be detailed during PD lab when you begin class so I would not buy anything else just yet.

The steth doesnt need to have a peds diaphragm does it? I have a litmann Classic II SE and ive used it for a while as an EMT and am use to it and would rly like to keep using it. It has both a bell and diaphragm

When I log on to TCWEB and click on academics (1st tab at the top) it lists my name and social and degree and everything and says "Class: 1st year NYCOM stu" Any idea what that means...I'm assuming the NYCOM here stands for something different??

I submitted my AACOMAS earlier, but this is my timeline if you're curious:

Secondary provided - 11/26/2014
Secondary submitted - 02/22/2015
Completed - 02/27/2015
II - 02/27/2015
Interviewed - 03/09/2015
Accepted - 03/27/2015 (Middletown)
Do you mind if I ask why you took a few months to submit your secondary?

The steth doesnt need to have a peds diaphragm does it? I have a litmann Classic II SE and ive used it for a while as an EMT and am use to it and would rly like to keep using it. It has both a bell and diaphragm

There's no peds scope requirement, just a bell and a diaphragm.

When I log on to TCWEB and click on academics (1st tab at the top) it lists my name and social and degree and everything and says "Class: 1st year NYCOM stu" Any idea what that means...I'm assuming the NYCOM here stands for something different??

Are you Harlem or Middletown?

Do you mind if I ask why you took a few months to submit your secondary?

Don't mind at all. I was working close to 70 hours/week as a clinical research coordinator, teacher, and other positions. I was also going through a difficult time with personal issues during those months. Not really sure if that delay hurt or helped me. Offering me an interview and position that late in the cycle really moved me and ultimately made me commit.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Is there still movement in the waitlist for Harlem? When does school start?

A Plea to Currently Enrolled Students: If anyone at Harlem is considering dropping, deferring, or has gotten into another program of their choice (Congratulations!), please notify the admissions office of your change. There are many people on the waitlist, like myself, that are anxiously awaiting a hopeful response from the admissions committee, and as of right now, all the spots are taken.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently accepted my loan money..anyone know when the money is supposed to be dispersed so we can pay the semester's tuition?

I recently accepted my loan money..anyone know when the money is supposed to be dispersed so we can pay the semester's tuition?
They'll automatically take out what you owe for tuition and fees. You'll receive a refund of whatever's left over around August 10th.

hi
just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday at middletown!!!!! so im guessing there is some waitlist movement there!
any ideas on where to get housing except on campus and craigslist?

They'll automatically take out what you owe for tuition and fees. You'll receive a refund of whatever's left over around August 10th.

So if I request $80k for the school year, do they allocate $40k for each semester and give you back whatever wasn't used for tuition and fees? So $40k - $21k semester tuition = refund of $19k for the first semester. In that case out refunds each semester will be identical (given that the tuition and fees were identical) right?

So if I request $80k for the school year, do they allocate $40k for each semester and give you back whatever wasn't used for tuition and fees? So $40k - $21k semester tuition = refund of $19k for the first semester. In that case out refunds each semester will be identical (given that the tuition and fees were identical) right?
Yes

This might be a stupid question but weve turned in $3000 for deposits etc, and i had heard it would be added to our tuition, but mine isnt showing up anywhere and with my fin aid im a lil over 1k short, does anyone kno who to contact about that?