Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has everyone that submitted their second deposit received a confirmation email? I got an automatic reply from the bursar but nothing else. I also never got a second response form by email. Has anyone else had the same issue?

did anyone use the Quik pay system for the second deposit? which options did you choose acceptance deposit or tuition deposit fall 2015?

Not sure if anyone's called already, but I submitted my second deposit more than a week ago under "acceptance deposit" on Quikpay and called the office, and they confirmed they had received it. So y'all should be fine.

did anyone use the Quik pay system for the second deposit? which options did you choose acceptance deposit or tuition deposit fall 2015?

See above^ it doesn't seem to matter too much what you choose as long as it is the correct amount by the deadline. However, I'm pretty sure the second deposit is considered "tuition" and not "acceptance."

hey question for any international students at Touro Harlem- does Touro have any requirement for the tuition to be put into a escrow account?

international students (current or otherwise) hi ?

Question, if I am unsure of whether I'm going to dorm or find an apartment, and I know for dorming I have to send in the money for Heart and Soul first, would it be possible to pay the $1000 minimum meal plan for now but then upgrade to a different plan later? If I pay for both dorming and food and end up living off campus, would I get any of my money back?

I would post this on the Middletown Facebook page group. There are a bunch of current students on there who are really helpful!

Question, if I am unsure of whether I'm going to dorm or find an apartment, and I know for dorming I have to send in the money for Heart and Soul first, would it be possible to pay the $1000 minimum meal plan for now but then upgrade to a different plan later? If I pay for both dorming and food and end up living off campus, would I get any of my money back?

I've been getting a bunch of messages from people to make the group private but i know there are still plenty of people on the waitlist and from what I've heard there is a lot of movement and I don't want to exclude anyone from the info. This group is not for accepted students not is it for the only
Prospective incoming students. I made the group initially to find roommates and begin some sort of q-a but I think it's become a fairly easy way for the incoming class to get in touch with the current students. Im not sure but if I made it private new ppl would not be able to join. And I currently get 5-10 requests each week so I don't plan on making it private until end of June early July along with starting a new group for just the class of 2019. There are roughly 30-35 current students In there now and have more or less taken over answering and finding answers to just about everything that's posted so I suggest joining if you have a more direct question or want some truth the the dorms or meal plans. my hope is to have the entire 135 students in this current group that's up and an additional one in the future for just the class of 2019

Reactions: 6 users
A question im planning on asking in the FB group as well (Middletown) but i want to cover all my bases. Does anyone know how to pay the meal plan deposit? I cant find a place to pay on the portal and was wondering if something would appear after i email the form about which type of plan id like? Thanks for the help in advance!

A question im planning on asking in the FB group as well (Middletown) but i want to cover all my bases. Does anyone know how to pay the meal plan deposit? I cant find a place to pay on the portal and was wondering if something would appear after i email the form about which type of plan id like? Thanks for the help in advance!

I'm having trouble with it too, but I think what you can do is submit the paperwork and you will get an invoice in your email which you can pay through credit card. Or submit a check with your paperwork for whatever the amount is.
I'm not 100% about it, but this is what I gathered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed on May 4th? Hear anything back?

Has anyone on the waitlist called Middletown to see where they are on the waitlist? Are they responsive to this question?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back after interviewing the week of April 13th? (Middletown)

Anyone who interviewed on May 4th? Hear anything back?
Not yet. I called last week, someone said possibly this tuesday bc the committee didn't sit down at all lastweek. Whelp already filling out AACOMAS for next cycle. Plan on applying sooner than December this next cycle. Middletown def left an impression on me

All,

Just got an email: waitlisted at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harlem, NY.

Since everyone asks, my timeline:
- 2014-12-01: primary submitted
- 2015-01-16: secondary received
- 2015-02-26: secondary submitted
- 2015-??-??: file completion date unknown; never received email
- 2015-04-13: interview invite received
- 2015-05-06: interviewed
- 2015-05-19: wait-listed

My statistics:
- In-state
- Non-traditional applicant (34 years-old): was pre-med at an Ivy League college and did horribly. Graduated and stuck with the pre-med path out of stubbornness, but subsequently dropped out of a SMP and thought I was done with medicine forever. Joined the Marine Corps, graduated from a non-Ivy League law school, and deployed to Afghanistan; experiences made me re-think medicine. Recently finished MS program at an Ivy League graduate school. Now working in emergency management.
- MCAT: 32 (2013), 35 (2006), 34-36 (2001, back when VR was scaled 13-15)
- Undergraduate (including postbacc) science GPA: 3.38; undergraduate (including postbacc) overall GPA: 3.38
- Graduate science GPA: 2.71 (thanks to dropping out of Georgetown SMP); graduate overall GPA: 2.78 (thanks to law school grades)
- Cumulative science GPA: 3.11; cumulative overall GPA: 3.11

Assessment:
- Clearly my GPA is low and I have comparably little experience with the medically underserved, but I think the high MCAT scores, unusual work history (Marine Corps, licensed attorney), and prestige factor (I mention Ivy League not to toot my horn, but to explain a mitigating factor) of my undergraduate/graduate education helped.

V/R,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harlem, NY.

My statistics:
- In-state
- Non-traditional applicant (34 years-old): was pre-med at an Ivy League college and did horribly. Graduated and stuck with the pre-med path out of stubbornness, but subsequently dropped out of a SMP and thought I was done with medicine forever. Joined the Marine Corps, graduated from a non-Ivy League law school, and deployed to Afghanistan; experiences made me re-think medicine. Recently finished MS program at an Ivy League graduate school. Now working in emergency management.
- Undergraduate (including postbacc) science GPA: 3.38; undergraduate (including postbacc) overall GPA: 3.38
- Graduate science GPA: 2.71 (thanks to dropping out of Georgetown SMP); graduate overall GPA: 2.78 (thanks to law school grades)

Wow this is fantastic! What a journey. I really hope you get off the waitlist!! Rooting for ya!

Anyone think we'll get some movement this week?

All we could do is wait or call admissions to see if they can give us any info. It is getting rather difficult to wait, considering the first day of classes would be the first week in August. At Harlem last cycle everyone got off the waitlist, so I just hope that it's the same. The openings post May 15 should begin to lead to some acceptances soon though. I also hope the waiting doesn't go until mid-late June :smack:

All,

Just got an email: waitlisted at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harlem, NY.

My statistics:
- In-state

Assessment:
- Clearly my GPA is low and I have comparably little experience with the medically underserved, but I think the high MCAT scores, unusual work history (Marine Corps, licensed attorney), and prestige factor (I mention Ivy League not to toot my horn, but to explain a mitigating factor) of my undergraduate/graduate education helped.

Very Respectfully,
I really hope you get in, I think you be a great addition to our class! Rooting for you!!

All we could do is wait or call admissions to see if they can give us any info. It is getting rather difficult to wait, considering the first day of classes would be the first week in August. At Harlem last cycle everyone got off the waitlist, so I just hope that it's the same. The openings post May 15 should begin to lead to some acceptances soon though. I also hope the waiting doesn't go until mid-late June :smack:
I' m seriously going crazy waiting..... I just want all of us to have an acceptance letter already!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Good to hear that the waitlist is moving! May I ask your stats and interview date?

I wonder if they release waitlist acceptances in huge spurts or more of a slower, stretched-out, individual type basis

I wonder if they release waitlist acceptances in huge spurts or more of a slower, stretched-out, individual type basis

The office said that there will be "significant" movement in the upcoming weeks. Committee sits down once a week to pick candidates to fill open seats... Not entirely sure what significant means or if the movement will be fast or slow but that is the information I was able to gather

Hey I had a April 13 interview date.
I had a 3.3 gpa 40+ mcat. Some research and shadowing.

The office said that there will be "significant" movement in the upcoming weeks. Committee sits down once a week to pick candidates to fill open seats... Not entirely sure what significant means or if the movement will be fast or slow but that is the information I was able to gather

Is this for Middletown or Harlem? Thanks

Was wondering if anyone was able to register for the Fall 2015 semester at Middletown. I'm having a little trouble locating the block schedule part of the course search.

Hi just wonder if there is anyone here have MCAT of 26 and got into this school?

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more waitlist movement yet. Obviously sdn represents only a small part of the applicants, but still, I spoke with admissions some weeks ago and they said that about 85-90% of the waitlist gets in, but it's already June and it's been pretty quiet. Thoughts?

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more waitlist movement yet. Obviously sdn represents only a small part of the applicants, but still, I spoke with admissions some weeks ago and they said that about 85-90% of the waitlist gets in, but it's already June and it's been pretty quiet. Thoughts?

Yea definitely frustrating. I've been watching this thread periodically to see if movement has started, but it just hasn't. Not sure if there are people getting in and just not posting or what. I'm starting to lose a little hope, but I do think there is reason to stay somewhat hopeful. I also wish they would send updates periodically, just for some sanity.

Did you speak with admissions from Middletown or Harlem?

Very frustrating. It seems like all the movement is at Middletown. Where are all the Harlem people?

Yea definitely frustrating. I've been watching this thread periodically to see if movement has started, but it just hasn't. Not sure if there are people getting in and just not posting or what. I'm starting to lose a little hope, but I do think there is reason to stay somewhat hopeful. I also wish they would send updates periodically, just for some sanity.

Did you speak with admissions from Middletown or Harlem?

It seems that across the board (MD and DO) the waitlist movements are very slow...I hope there is substantial movement this week or at LEAST by the end of this month.

Are there any upper years here? Are lecture slides posted separately from the videos as well or do we only get the videos?

Last edited:
I got accepted off waitlist in late May at Harlem location. I sent in my letter of intent after 15th.
for people who got accepted, were you guys able to create the Emaill and Touro account through the link ?

Just got my finaid summary.

Unsubsidized Loan $~40k
Plus Loan $~30k

The school does not participate in Perkin's Loan I assume?

Do you guys generally take full loan amount offered for the first year? I mean the tuition is already at ~$50k so taking out some of Plus Loan is a given even when I'm reluctant to do so due to its high interest rate.

Why can't I just take more loan out from Unsubsidized Loan? I know there are limits but I thought it'd be more than $40k given the cost of medical education nowadays.

Just got my finaid summary.

Unsubsidized Loan $~40k
Plus Loan $~30k

The school does not participate in Perkin's Loan I assume?

Do you guys generally take full loan amount offered for the first year? I mean the tuition is already at ~$50k so taking out some of Plus Loan is a given even when I'm reluctant to do so due to its high interest rate.

Why can't I just take more loan out from Unsubsidized Loan? I know there are limits but I thought it'd be more than $40k given the cost of medical education nowadays.

Im waiting to hear about my loans =\ how long ago did u fill out fafsa? Also did u ever see an 'amount' on the quikpay system for the breakdown of what we owe. I remember some email with a 24k figure but it had no breakdown or anything about where i could view an actually broken down bill