Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone interviewing here on Monday?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted students: TouroCOM uploaded videos for successful matriculation/orientation -- http://tourocom.touro.edu/students/ <-- Under the title "TouroCOM Orientation"

Pretty basic stuff but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Edit: The videos are more centered towards accepted students for the Harlem campus, if that makes a difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember: Clicker sessions count for something like 10% of your grade and happen several times a week, so they are essentially mandatory if you want to do well. Exams are always on Monday. Anatomy practicals are always mandatory.

That's what I remember from my interview day, I could easily be misremembering.

If you're curious about how the schedule works I found this: http://www.tourocomsga.com/current-classes/class-of-2017/class-calendar-2017/ -- if you go back all the way to August 2013, you can see the class schedule of the c/o 2017. It can't be too much different from what we can expect in August.

People on the Harlem waitlist care to share your stats with the rest of us? I myself was waitlisted 2 weeks ago with a 3.7 gpa and 30 MCAT. Just wanted to know where i stand :/

Anyone know if they're letting people switch from Middletown to Harlem?

Anyone know if they're letting people switch from Middletown to Harlem?
If I remember correctly, you would have to re-interview for the other campus, so in this case Harlem. Hope that helps

For those of you who sent in letters of interest or intent, did you receive a confirmation email?

So I got a rejection email a few weeks back but I just received an II to Harlem today... feeling the cautiously optimistic type of confusion right now and not sure what to think bc I thought the class was full? has this happened to anyone else?

I just received word from Touro-Middletown that I have been ACCEPTED! OH MY GOD I'M SO NUMB RIGHT NOW!!!!! FIRST ACCEPTANCE OF THE CYCLE.
Perseverance does work! Re-applicant this year and I've done it! :soexcited:

Reactions: 17 users
I just got an ii for middletown... this is most likely for waitlist position?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an ii today too for Middletown. Is this only for waitlist?

JUST GOT PULLED OFF THE WAITLIST OMGGGGGGGGGGG

Reactions: 2 users
I just received word from Touro-Middletown that I have been ACCEPTED! OH MY GOD I'M SO NUMB RIGHT NOW!!!!! FIRST ACCEPTANCE OF THE CYCLE.
Perseverance does work! Re-applicant this year and I've done it! :soexcited:
Congrats! How did they contact you??

Congrats! Are you at Harlem or Middletown? Can you tell us your stats and/or when you interviewed? Thanks!

Thank you!

Middletown! Interviewed 2/4, waitlisted 2/23, MCAT 27 (second time) PS 7, V 10, Bs 10, cGPA: 3.64, sGPA: 3,53

Hi has anyone tried calling Middletown admissions?

I seem to get voicemail everytime I call

It has been this way for two weeks now for me.

Thank you!

Middletown! Interviewed 2/4, waitlisted 2/23, MCAT 27 (second time) PS 7, V 10, Bs 10, cGPA: 3.64, sGPA: 3,53

Congratulations, I hope to see you in classes soon! If you dont mind could i ask you how you were told? My friend has very similar stats to you and when she called admissions (yes it took forever to get thru as per someones voicemail comment) they told her Middletown wouldnt have waitlist movement until May 15th since thats when the deposits are due.

Congratulations, I hope to see you in classes soon! If you dont mind could i ask you how you were told? My friend has very similar stats to you and when she called admissions (yes it took forever to get thru as per someones voicemail comment) they told her Middletown wouldnt have waitlist movement until May 15th since thats when the deposits are due.

Omg yay! Hope to see you too! (And also your name is fantastic I like it so much)

So I actually did call them last week and got a voicemail so I didn't bother, and then I called again this past Monday and talked to Sean directly, (it's the 1112 number because Frank never seems to pick up his phone at the 1111 number lol), and Sean told me the exact same thing about waitlist movement in May. However, at my interview I didn't have a DO letter at the time. My interviewers and Sean told me to get one especially if I was waitlisted. I got one, sent it in, and this week called. I actually took the chance to make sure my letter was in and he said yes he sees it. Got the news on Thursday by email.

Reactions: 1 user
Unwatching this thread, but before I do that, I just wanna leave some random info I found out when I interviewed at Touro- Middletown for future applicants since I know they go through past threads :) Many of these things will likely change in the years to come, so take all this with a grain of salt.

- Biggest feeder states: NY>NJ>California>Texas
-Biggest feeder undergraduate institutions: Stoney Brook U. and Rutgers U
-3rd year rotations are at the same hospital for the entirety of the year. Students rank hospitals, and most get their first or second choice.
-If you decide to do the Summer Anatomy program (which is highly recommended by students if you don't mind giving up some vacation time), one cadaver is shared by all the students in the program.
-You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't know this, but Touro is a Jewish affiliated institution.
-Middletown's first year class had an average MCAT 2 points below Harlem
-The building itself is very big, and the Dean said that they have plans to create other programs in the building (PA, PT, Nursing). The med school itself is only using about 20% of the building.
-No research opportunities as of right now, but there is a research interest club and plans to start a research department
-There is no gym in the building, but the first year students get free membership at the YMCA. The students are currently fighting for continued free membership.
-The med school is a hospital that closed down, and they renovated it into a med school.

The med students all seem very happy here. BUT... when I went for my interview, the school didn't feel like home to me, and I really could not see myself there. No hate on Touro Middletown... Just not for me is all. They literally have everything you would need to succeed as a medical student. Seems like a lot of new med schools try to compensate being new by offering state-of-the-art technology as an incentive (just a general observation), which isn't a necessarily bad thing. If you feel that Touro- Middletown is for you, more power to ya! :)

Good Luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for that ^
The info about third year calms my nerves a bit, I didn't wanna be driving all I've the place for rotations

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a dumb question but i haven't dealt with loans before. If i agree and accept the fin aid loan offer online does that bind me to the loan amount they offered me? Does it bind me to the school?

Thanks! Well I was waitlisted on 3/5. I received word that I was accepted via email.

Hello. If you don't mind me asking, did you send anything like a letter of intent while on the waitlist? Or did you call? I was waitlisted at Middletown 3/25 and sent a letter of intent via e-mail to the dean and interviewers but received no reply. Kind of worried. And my interview went super well.

Hello. If you don't mind me asking, did you send anything like a letter of intent while on the waitlist? Or did you call? I was waitlisted at Middletown 3/25 and sent a letter of intent via e-mail to the dean and interviewers but received no reply. Kind of worried. And my interview went super well.

I did set a letter of interest close to when I heard back from the school that I was waitlisted. I very recently sent an update letter as well. If there is anything you can update about your application, I'd sent a letter in the near future. Other than that, I didn't really do much of anything. Just waiting anxiously. I will say though, sit tight and keep the faith! This movement caught me by surprise, so you never know!

I did set a letter of interest close to when I heard back from the school that I was waitlisted. I very recently sent an update letter as well. If there is anything you can update about your application, I'd sent a letter in the near future. Other than that, I didn't really do much of anything. Just waiting anxiously. I will say though, sit tight and keep the faith! This movement caught me by surprise, so you never know!

Thanks!

Rock their socks off man, hopefully you either get straight accepted or the top of the wait list

Good luck

Congrats to all those who have been pulled off the waitlist! Did you guys do anything after getting waitlisted that might have increased your chances of admissions?
I'm still waitlisted, and looking for advice....

Congrats to all those who have been pulled off the waitlist! Did you guys do anything after getting waitlisted that might have increased your chances of admissions?

Sent in a DO letter and called later to make sure they got it. Maybe try a Letter of Intent?

I sent you a PM.

Guys, those of you who've been accepted, what documents/email have you received?

For me so far, I have received:
-a "next steps" email
-second deposit email
-financial aid email

I have not received the health forms yet. Have you guys?

(Harlem Campus)

For everyone else interviewing or waiting now, I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Guys, those of you who've been accepted, what documents/email have you received?

For me so far, I have received:
-a "next steps" email
-second deposit email
-financial aid email

I have not received the health forms yet. Have you guys?

(Harlem Campus)

For everyone else interviewing or waiting now, I wish you the best of luck!
I don't think you will get the health form email until you make your second deposit. As soon as my second deposit was processed, the health forms email came

Hey, did any of you who submitted your Second Deposit Response form get confirmation that the admissions office received it and your payment?

Thanks!

I just received the email from the bursar

Maybe they're gonna send something after the 15th deadline

Ok cool, that's the only one I received as well for my "enrollment deposit".

Thanks!

What dates did they give you guys for submitting both deposits respectively?