Total GI Procedures during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enteroid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approaching 1200 Total only 450 are Colonoscopies. Finishing up next month. Applying to advance therapeutics in two years taking some time off to work.

How many procedures are people graduating with or will graduate with? Seems variable. One colleague has 950 total (academic center 18mo clinical) and another has 1600 total (clinical program all three years)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those numbers seem reasonable. Will also vary based on academic program with lots of research time vs. community clinical program.

Not sure on your plan to apply to advanced after a 2 year break, but good luck.

Advanced is getting saturated fast. Don't go back unless you have a job lined up or are willing to be a call stent and stone ercpist only.

I finished with 2800 procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advanced is getting saturated fast. Don't go back unless you have a job lined up or are willing to be a call stent and stone ercpist only.

I finished with 2800 procedures.

Agree, friends who are trying to get advanced jobs are finding a tough market.

To be desirable you need to offer ESD/POEM and the **** that most generic advanced people are not doing.

Agree, friends who are trying to get advanced jobs are finding a tough market.

To be desirable you need to offer ESD/POEM and the **** that most generic advanced people are not doing.

I expect a big portion of adv fellowships to close in the next decade. Everyone opened one and now even small groups have hired someone. Plus, 90% of them are under 50.

Why has advanced become so popular?

Why has advanced become so popular?

It's not that its so popular, it's that you only need so many advanced trained people within a group or division. There are only so many ERCPs to go around, and people are protective of their numbers/cases. Indiana apparently makes you sign a 500 mile noncompete before training. They really dont want to train the competition. This is why you are seeing people try to find a niche even within advanced, with bariatric fellowships for endoscopic sleeves, ESD/POEM, etc. If all you are brining to a group is EUS/ERCP, Barretts EMR/ablation, stents, they likely already have people that can do it and don't want to share. I feel like a lot of fellows are naive to the fact that the job market is so rough for traditional advanced jobs. You are much more marketable as IBD, motility, general than advanced.

That in combination with the fact that many of the advanced people out there are relatively young, most groups/cities are saturated with EUS/ERCP trained folks. There are also a number of people out in the community doing ERCP who never did a 4th year and probably should not be. I would not have minded doing ERCP training, but I have no desire to do EUS. Most general people like some of the luminal advanced stuff, like large polyp EMR and whatnot. There is nothing stopping you from doing most of that without a 4th year. As long as you are good at clips/OTSC and have good technique/the time you are fine.

Reactions: 1 user