Top 10 General Surgery Residencies Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These fanboys don't feel the need to contribute to SDN at any other time, but become very distraught when their beloved program is brought into question. They always end the post by mentioning that nobody can talk about it except residents from the program, as if it is blasphemous for an outsider to mention the program's holy name.
So it's better for us to just sit around here speculating about the operative experience rather than getting some insight from someone who rotated there? You want your anecdote about a PGY-3 doing his first lap appy to be the only bit of evidence here? I personally appreciate all perspectives, including counterpoint which you seem to be against. And dragomir only mentioned that a resident would be best to comment on the operative experience, because well, it should be obvious. He was just being deferential because he "only" rotated there. I thought his post was very even-keeled.

Calm down, man. There is no need to be so riled up. He was just adding his perspective, which should be encouraged here, not attacked.

Members don't see this ad.

So it's better for us to just sit around here speculating about the operative experience rather than getting some insight from someone who rotated there? You want your anecdote about a PGY-3 doing his first lap appy to be the only bit of evidence here? I personally appreciate all perspectives, including counterpoint which you seem to be against. And dragomir only mentioned that a resident would be best to comment on the operative experience, because well, it should be obvious. He was just being deferential because he "only" rotated there. I thought his post was very even-keeled.

Calm down, man. There is no need to be so riled up. He was just adding his perspective, which should be encouraged here, not attacked.

Oh, I'm not riled up....just amused at the response. I definitely wasn't trying to shut the person down....it's just a familiar pattern. I want Dragomir and others like him to share their experiences more often, not less often. I think he just reminded me of previous interactions where posters had a big stick up their butt once a beloved program is brought into question.

It would be great to get some insight from a Baylor resident, but they don't have exclusive rights to talking about the program, either.

I think he just reminded me of previous interactions where posters had a big stick up their butt once a beloved program is brought into question.

I did a quick search to find the posts I alluded to, and I agree that I was too hard on Dragomir....it's really the Danbo/Moonglow types that bother me.

Here's the original conversation on Baylor. It's worth a read, and it sort of clarifies my opinion on the matter.

Here's the Penn Version.

And the Hopkins version, with some excellent insight from Danbo.

And the Mayo version, with a bonus retro Misterioso post.

Here's an example of things that are nice to see, where a UTSW resident clears the air on his program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the links, SLUser. Those were good reads. You're definitely better with the forum search feature than I am. I rarely can find threads that I'm looking for. I agree that the Danbo/Moonglow types ("how DARE you question the experience at this institution?!? It is clearly superior in every way.") are the worst to deal with.

I did a quick search to find the posts I alluded to, and I agree that I was too hard on Dragomir....it's really the Danbo/Moonglow types that bother me.

Here's the original conversation on Baylor. It's worth a read, and it sort of clarifies my opinion on the matter.

Here's the Penn Version.

And the Hopkins version, with some excellent insight from Danbo.

And the Mayo version, with a bonus retro Misterioso post.

Here's an example of things that are nice to see, where a UTSW resident clears the air on his program.

Thanks for the links.

I realized after reading the Mayo one that Chris Nebel never posted after getting the Prelim spot at Vandy. Looks like however, he was able to get a categorical spot in Cincy...where's he a Chief now. Glad things worked out for him.

The Baylor program director told me not too long ago that they average 800+ cases. End of discussion.

The Baylor program director told me not too long ago that they average 800+ cases. End of discussion.
That's so low... Wow. I was hoping those numbers from 2005-2006 were at least a little dated, especially because in that time you only needed 500 cases to graduate.

I think their most recent class was in the high 700s, but that's cuz two residents were on maternal leave but the years before that were 800s. Remember that these numbers are liable to inflation/deflation and inter-resident variability but when they are consistently low, it speaks the truth.

I think their most recent class was in the high 700s, but that's cuz two residents were on maternal leave but the years before that were 800s. Remember that these numbers are liable to inflation/deflation and inter-resident variability but when they are consistently low, it speaks the truth.

I would also add that when numbers are that low, chiefs are probably scrambling at the end to make sure they're meeting numbers, and are logging everything, and scrubbing on things to make sure they have a cushion. We can debate and debate numbers and quality versus quantity, but 800 is pretty low.

As far as ranking the Maryland programs, I would put University of Maryland well above Hopkins in terms of not only the quality of the residents, but the educational experience and rotations. Sure, Hopkins has a name, but we all know names don't always mean much at the end of the day.

University of Maryland is #6 in the country for NIH funding, Hopkins isn't even top 20.

University of Maryland has shock trauma, Hopkins trauma is good, but few could argue that it's even in the same ballpark is ST.

etc

My 2 cents

As far as ranking the Maryland programs, I would put University of Maryland well above Hopkins in terms of not only the quality of the residents, but the educational experience and rotations. Sure, Hopkins has a name, but we all know names don't always mean much at the end of the day.

University of Maryland is #6 in the country for NIH funding, Hopkins isn't even top 20.

University of Maryland has shock trauma, Hopkins trauma is good, but few could argue that it's even in the same ballpark is ST.

etc

My 2 cents
On what basis are you making this assertion? Did you do aways? Are you a student at one of the schools? Just curious, as it would give a better context to your opinions. Hopkins has good penetrating trauma while Shock Trauma is a ton of blunt, although they certainly see their share of penetrating. Hopkins has a lower caseload than a lot of programs, but the complexity of their cases is incredible, and you'll get a ton of complex HPB and vascular. I know next to nothing about Maryland, except that I've heard lots of good things about the clinical training there.

Thanks for the links.

I realized after reading the Mayo one that Chris Nebel never posted after getting the Prelim spot at Vandy. Looks like however, he was able to get a categorical spot in Cincy...where's he a Chief now. Glad things worked out for him.
That's the cool thing about a small world - I remember seeing him when I interviewed there last year. I don't think I talked with him though.

On what basis are you making this assertion? Did you do aways? Are you a student at one of the schools? Just curious, as it would give a better context to your opinions. Hopkins has good penetrating trauma while Shock Trauma is a ton of blunt, although they certainly see their share of penetrating. Hopkins has a lower caseload than a lot of programs, but the complexity of their cases is incredible, and you'll get a ton of complex HPB and vascular. I know next to nothing about Maryland, except that I've heard lots of good things about the clinical training there.

Yes I am a student and have rotated quite a bit at both institutions. The hopkins residents I have come into contact with were clinically much weaker than the majority of the Maryland residents... Many are extremely arrogant and entitled. Not to mention I met hopkins med students who very honestly said "I go to Hopkins, so i dont feel the need to work hard... ill get into any residency I want" Certainly this isn't everyone...but I was surprised how many people i interacted with who fit this mold to a T. It's made me realize that while Hopkins is a huge name, you cannot extrapolate greatness just from a name.

This is my opinion from what I have seen and experienced having spent several months at both places. I'm sure someone else could come on here and say the exact opposite and that's fine... just stating MY opinion.

MH

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am a student and have rotated quite a bit at both institutions. The hopkins residents I have come into contact with were clinically much weaker than the majority of the Maryland residents... Many are extremely arrogant and entitled. Not to mention I met hopkins med students who very honestly said "I go to Hopkins, so i dont feel the need to work hard... ill get into any residency I want" Certainly this isn't everyone...but I was surprised how many people i interacted with who fit this mold to a T. It's made me realize that while Hopkins is a huge name, you cannot extrapolate greatness just from a name.

This is my opinion from what I have seen and experienced having spent several months at both places. I'm sure someone else could come on here and say the exact opposite and that's fine... just stating MY opinion.

MH
I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for posting. I might have some more questions for you in the coming months. Are you applying in surgery this year?

I have had this experience too...

I come from the medical school and general surgery program of some reputation in Atlanta. We have had a few (3) Harvard grads that have had problems returning their pages or doing their work or worrying about some esoteric nonsense in the trauma bay at Grady while the city was burning down in front of them.

One H grad was politely relieved of his duties and went back to the big H to become a successful medicine resident.

Maybe we got the "trash" from Harvard and all the good ones stay there. We certainly sent them some stellar medical students to become surgical interns there.

We had an unspoken rule that we no longer accepted med students from that university system and I don't think we have had one in more than ten years. Good riddance.

Top 25 drawn from multiple resources and advice (in no particular order). Like any top 25 poll, I am sure some others could be substituted, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of these programs whether you are interested in academic surgery, competitive fellowship training, or general surgery.

MGH
Hopkins
Brigham
BI
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
UVA
Duke
Vanderbilt
U. Washington
Wash U
Michigan
UAB
Louisville
Emory
UT SW
Penn
Pitt
Cincinnati
UCSF
UCLA
Minnesota
Wisconsin
UNC

I have had this experience too...

I come from the medical school and general surgery program of some reputation in Atlanta. We have had a few (3) Harvard grads that have had problems returning their pages or doing their work or worrying about some esoteric nonsense in the trauma bay at Grady while the city was burning down in front of them.

One H grad was politely relieved of his duties and went back to the big H to become a successful medicine resident.

Maybe we got the "trash" from Harvard and all the good ones stay there. We certainly sent them some stellar medical students to become surgical interns there.

We had an unspoken rule that we no longer accepted med students from that university system and I don't think we have had one in more than ten years. Good riddance.

This is pretty funny. I'm always surprised how insecure some folks get, and feel the need to bash top medical schools like Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U etc. I did rotations at one of Harvard's big names and did not see any Emory grads. Researched the other programs and did not see any from Emory that I can recall. Surprised? I certainly was not, given that Emory is an average medical school at best. So grab your 6 pack of coke, crack it open and enjoy it in the comfort of your 'super coke lounge' and continue complaining about better schools/programs.

This is pretty funny. I'm always surprised how insecure some folks get, and feel the need to bash top medical schools like Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U etc. I did rotations at one of Harvard's big names and did not see any Emory grads. Researched the other programs and did not see any from Emory that I can recall. Surprised? I certainly was not, given that Emory is an average medical school at best. So grab your 6 pack of coke, crack it open and enjoy it in the comfort of your 'super coke lounge' and continue complaining about better schools/programs.

really? this conversation is making us all look bad. one of the most frequent complaints i hear about medical professionals is that we are a bunch of elitists that are more interested in polishing our collection of merit badges than taking care of the ill

Advertising in a random thread on a forum for students and residents? Pathetic, Dr. Kim. Bye-bye.

Edit: A plastic surgeon posted a reply to this thread trolling for minimally-invasive tummy tuck patients. Pretty unbelievable.

Last edited:
really? this conversation is making us all look bad. one of the most frequent complaints i hear about medical professionals is that we are a bunch of elitists that are more interested in polishing our collection of merit badges than taking care of the ill

Point well taken. However, for the sense of argument, should we get rid of this thread all-together, given that it essentially promotes the elitism that you deplore? There will always be "better" programs and "better" applicants, relatively speaking, but who is to say that "better" is the right thing for every applicant on this thread.

In reference to a post above re Duke's 800 cases, they are set on training academic and research oriented surgeons. In that case, I think that 800 cases are plenty. And if it is enough for the Board, than it is enough for me.

Point well taken. However, for the sense of argument, should we get rid of this thread all-together, given that it essentially promotes the elitism that you deplore? There will always be "better" programs and "better" applicants, relatively speaking, but who is to say that "better" is the right thing for every applicant on this thread.

In reference to a post above re Duke's 800 cases, they are set on training academic and research oriented surgeons. In that case, I think that 800 cases are plenty. And if it is enough for the Board, than it is enough for me.

I was referring more to tone than content. the thread itself stimulates conversation about the strengths and weaknesses of various programs, many applicants find it informative. a little chest beating is inevitable, but the tone was going downhill fast

In that case, I think that 800 cases are plenty. And if it is enough for the Board, than it is enough for me.

That is probably the most naive and inaccurate thing I've read on SDN in a while.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would argue against Harvard being a good med school. What the poster was alluding to is the fact that sense of entitlement is often inversely proportionate to clinical ability. It's no coincidence.

That is probably the most naive and inaccurate thing I've read on SDN in a while.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would argue against Harvard being a good med school. What the poster was alluding to is the fact that sense of entitlement is often inversely proportionate to clinical ability. It's no coincidence.

Of course, that seems true at every school. I wish I could say there wasn't a sense of entitlement at my "low tier" school, but I hear it every day. A little bit of that is required for us to succeed, but it is scary how uppity some people can be. We are all beautiful and unique snowflakes afterall.

Of course, that seems true at every school. I wish I could say there wasn't a sense of entitlement at my "low tier" school, but I hear it every day. A little bit of that is required for us to succeed, but it is scary how uppity some people can be. We are all beautiful and unique snowflakes afterall.

True enough. We are all the smartest person we've ever met, even if we didn't go to Harvard.....but it's not our faults...our parents have been telling us these things since we first understood English.

Why go to a program with 800 cases when you can go to one with 1200 -1400 cases? Don't assume that more volume equals less quality and the opposite certainly isn't true either. If you read literature on Whipples, for instance, from big-name institutions (the same ones with 800-1000 cases) they are very clear that the most experienced surgeon in the room should do the pancreaticojejunostomy. Well, I'm approaching 1400 cases, and have thrown every stitch on all 13 Whipples I have done. So, for you applicants out there, high volume doesn't mean "poor quality" or completing the easiest 51% of the case just to be able to count it.

My interpretation of big name programs with under 1000 cases is there is no pressure on them to produce a surgeon. Nearly all of their graduates will pursue a fellowship and get the real training they need to practice post-residency. Also, applicants are WAY TOO CONCERNED about what the wall of their office is going to look like (which most patients don't see and don't care about...) The writing on your training certificate never helped anyone in the middle of the night.

You should do whatever you need to do to get the training you need to take care of your patients the way you want to take of patients. If you want to be a chairman, sure try for a big academic program. If you want to be a high volume community surgeon (ie most everyone else) go to high volume program. If you don't know, go to a high volume program that places graduates in competitive fellowships and community GS jobs where your fate is not sealed the moment you open your match envelope.

Regardless of your goals, you should try to be as busy as possible during your 5 years as a resident because why not?

BTW, Louisville fits into the 3rd category with graduates doing whatever they want. With 5 months left in my training, I have received some of the best training possible over a 5 year period in nearly every aspect- patient care, research, operative experience, and autonomy (a hugely under-rated component of senior level resident training).

Reactions: 1 user
Why go to a program with 800 cases when you can go to one with 1200 -1400 cases? Don't assume that more volume equals less quality and the opposite certainly isn't true either. If you read literature on Whipples, for instance, from big-name institutions (the same ones with 800-1000 cases) they are very clear that the most experienced surgeon in the room should do the pancreaticojejunostomy. Well, I'm approaching 1400 cases, and have thrown every stitch on all 13 Whipples I have done. So, for you applicants out there, high volume doesn't mean "poor quality" or completing the easiest 51% of the case just to be able to count it.

My interpretation of big name programs with under 1000 cases is there is no pressure on them to produce a surgeon. Nearly all of their graduates will pursue a fellowship and get the real training they need to practice post-residency. Also, applicants are WAY TOO CONCERNED about what the wall of their office is going to look like (which most patients don't see and don't care about...) The writing on your training certificate never helped anyone in the middle of the night.

You should do whatever you need to do to get the training you need to take care of your patients the way you want to take of patients. If you want to be a chairman, sure try for a big academic program. If you want to be a high volume community surgeon (ie most everyone else) go to high volume program. If you don't know, go to a high volume program that places graduates in competitive fellowships and community GS jobs where your fate is not sealed the moment you open your match envelope.

Regardless of your goals, you should try to be as busy as possible during your 5 years as a resident because why not?

BTW, Louisville fits into the 3rd category with graduates doing whatever they want. With 5 months left in my training, I have received some of the best training possible over a 5 year period in nearly every aspect- patient care, research, operative experience, and autonomy (a hugely under-rated component of senior level resident training).

After many posts, someone gets it right. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for a great post JayDoc. There are a lot of good points here: more volume doesn't equal poor quality and the opposite isn't true either. Regardless of how many cases residents do, they should be doing more than "the easiest 51% of the case".

I would, however, not say that graduates who pursue a fellowship are getting "the real training they need to practice post-residency", insinuating that if they went to a more high volume program they would be able to do those cases without fellowship training. For some/many types of cases it may be true, but most (if not all) gen surg residents can't graduate and expect to do, for example, a valve, lung transplant, carinal resection, CDH repair, put a kid on ECMO, repair imperforate anus, small bowel transplant, fenestrated aortic endograft repairs, and the list goes on. Every fellowship has bread and butter cases that every gen surg resident should be able to do, but that's not why most people go into fellowship training: it's either the cases most don't get exposed to during residency, maybe they always wanted to be 'X' category of surgeon, or academics. I know exactly what I want and will get out of my fellowship and it has nothing to do with the fact that I can do a whipple, gastrectomy, hepatectomy, lobectomy, nissen, j-pouch, lap adrenal, thyroid, parathyroid, gastric bypass, AAA, carotid, etc. There are just some things you will never/rarely get exposed to during gen surg residency, at least enough to feel comfortable doing it after residency.

I will agree that there are residents who can't decide on a career path or don't feel comfortable after 5 years doing certain cases, and end up doing fellowships in things like minimally invasive just doing more nissens, bypasses, colons, etc, or trauma/critical care spending most of their time in the ICU, or even doing 1 year non-accredited fellowships in this or that.

I agree that applicants are too concerned about the reputation of a program, and we can all agree that there are plenty of great training programs across the country.

I would definately agree that if you absolutely know that you want to be a community surgeon, go someplace that trains exactly that. If you know you want to be part of the academic rat race, go someplace where everyone goes into academics. If you are not sure, go someplace where you have both options (either academic program that consistently produces community surgeons, or community programs that produces academic surgeons)

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

Nice bump....just in time for the MS4s to convince themselves they are one of the prestigious 50 programs in the Top 10.

I've now encountered Baylor residents up close, and I still have no idea if their operative experience is above or below average.

What I have noticed among Baylorites in other specialties is an unbelievably high number of people wearing bow ties. The surgeons just wear scrubs, but among medical residents and attendings, the bow tie is alive and kicking....today I even saw 2 Baylor med students with bow ties....it's like they're part of a secret cult.

I've now encountered Baylor residents up close, and I still have no idea if their operative experience is above or below average.

What I have noticed among Baylorites in other specialties is an unbelievably high number of people wearing bow ties. The surgeons just wear scrubs, but among medical residents and attendings, the bow tie is alive and kicking....today I even saw 2 Baylor med students with bow ties....it's like they're part of a secret cult.

I can appreciate that people have their own style...but damn the bow tie is lame. I would have mad respect for someone who has the balls to rock a bolo tie though.

In regards to the baylor comments above, it is shocking their numbers are that low. I interviewed there and you would think that based on the sheer volume of hospitals with potential for autonomy they would be set. They have a legendary county hospital in Ben Taub and a VA. I can believe their juniors do less at places like md anderson, st. luke's, and texas childrens......but at a county/VA?

The only people I've seen rocking the bowtie here are attendings/med students in Medicine.

To stay on the topic of top residency programs, UVA must be considered among the top general surgery residency programs in the country. The tradition of excellence and the camaraderie amongst the residents is unparalleled. Operative experience is great and the residents come out well trained, able to go into private practice or get any fellowship spot.

To stay on the topic of top residency programs, UVA must be considered among the top general surgery residency programs in the country. The tradition of excellence and the camaraderie amongst the residents is unparalleled. Operative experience is great and the residents come out well trained, able to go into private practice or get any fellowship spot.

It's hard to argue with an "unparalleled tradition of excellence." I vote that we place UVA at the top of this list that is silly and absolutely irrelevant.

It's hard to argue with an "unparalleled tradition of excellence." I vote that we place UVA at the top of this list that is silly and absolutely irrelevant.

There is simply no parallel. Other programs are oblique to UVA, if anything.

I'd like to get back to the topic of bow ties.

At my program, we have a policy limiting bow-tie wearing to one resident at a time (in the entire residency). The spot is currently filled by a 4th year. One of the prelim interns tried wearing one earlier in the year and we immediately dropped him from contention for a categorical spot.

Bolo-ties are cause for immediate probation and a note regarding inappropriate clothing is placed into your permanent file and results in an asterisk next to your board certification status... if you actually manage to graduate and pass the boards.

I'd like to get back to the topic of bow ties.

At my program, we have a policy limiting bow-tie wearing to one resident at a time (in the entire residency). The spot is currently filled by a 4th year. One of the prelim interns tried wearing one earlier in the year and we immediately dropped him from contention for a categorical spot.

Bolo-ties are cause for immediate probation and a note regarding inappropriate clothing is placed into your permanent file and results in an asterisk next to your board certification status... if you actually manage to graduate and pass the boards.

Your program didn't have a New Mexico exemption for Bolo ties? If you could prove that you were from New Mexico and had a signed contract to return to work there, bolo ties were permissible in my program. But you also had to wear cowboy boots.

Your program didn't have a New Mexico exemption for Bolo ties? If you could prove that you were from New Mexico and had a signed contract to return to work there, bolo ties were permissible in my program. But you also had to wear cowboy boots.

I think we might actually have a policy which prohibits taking any residents with ties to New Mexico.

However, being located in the southeast, several of my attendings and fellow residents rock the cowboy boots. They are actually more common than the stapled clog here. One attending has a pair which are purported to be Ostrich.

Well then in my program we have $0.012 worth of Ostrich boots worn to work.

Haha. I've always wondered how receptive people/programs were to residents who wore cowboy boots. I've been told on numerous occasions how comfortable they are, especially when standing for long periods, but never knew if they were seen in a similar light as bow ties or bolo ties. So maybe it's not all that bad to wear them?

Über trottel = suspicion confirmed. Thanks.

Eh, I think this heavily region/program specific. I'd estimate that about a third of my attendings wear them at least part of the time. Maybe 20-25% of the residents. It is not viewed negatively here but that YMMV.

But primarily, if you want to wear them for comfort, then who cares how that's perceived? Your feet, your footwear.

With respect to the bow tie, I agree. Professors emeritus allowed at their discretion, but other than that only one from each "young" faculty and residents. It's unfortunate, since I actually like the bow tie and can pull one of in other situations, but there is an upper level resident who currently rolls with one.

I do strongly agree that a bump is in order.

So what's the policy in terms of bowties for interviewees? Is it also one per candidate? Or none? If yes do we need to get a separate bowtie-interview thread started for each program so we can coordinate and prevent social faux pas? We are going to need a whole new sub forum....

I do strongly agree that a bump is in order.

So what's the policy in terms of bowties for interviewees? Is it also one per candidate? Or none? If yes do we need to get a separate bowtie-interview thread started for each program so we can coordinate and prevent social faux pas? We are going to need a whole new sub forum....

The interview is your chance to get the lay of the land for neckwear issues. I would recommend sticking with a traditional tie for the interview, and only considering the switch to a bowtie after you've matched.