Too Many State Licenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digsbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have licenses in 3 states now, considering adding 2 more to make 5. Some of my friends say it's way too many, but so long as you handle board fees and CE requirements I don't see it as a problem? Just curious if there are other pharmacists with many state licenses and how it impacts you. Is there a "too much" when it comes to the?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't have too many. I'm seeing more and more jobs that require multiple licenses and it always seems that there is one I don't have and I'm licensed in 7 states. As long as you can afford the fees and CE requirements I say do it. Believe me, I would like to just worry about one state but the current pharmacy landscape has been brutal for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I have licenses in 3 states now, considering adding 2 more to make 5. Some of my friends say it's way too many, but so long as you handle board fees and CE requirements I don't see it as a problem? Just curious if there are other pharmacists with many state licenses and how it impacts you. Is there a "too much" when it comes to the?

I have a few, would like to have more! Its too much when you dont want to pay annual fee or cannot keep organized CE requirements.
I want to add a CA lic, but the exam and process is a pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absent a clear and present or presumable need, I don't see why one would even bother. I suppose if you're within an hour of the state line (or do remote work), but someone like me (California) who is physically 10 hours south and 5 hours east from the next nearest state (and where ample opportunities exist within its borders), it doesn't make sense.

If I lived in NJ, though...I'd probably be licensed in NJ, PA, NY, and maybe Maryland + Virginia. But in CA, there are counties bigger than many eastern states.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
The cost adds up. I have 4 licenses and have never used one of them (got a CA license to be more competitive for residencies there). When I got my fourth one, I retook the NAPLEX so I could get it as a primary license and ditch the others when I decide they aren't worth it.

Don't you have to take the MPJE for each state you're getting licensed in?

I graduate this month....was planning on getting licensed in three states right off the bat, but a changing job opportunity may only require me to get one. Still might get them anyways, however....

The cost adds up. I have 4 licenses

My first state including NAPLEX and MPJE cost me $1664 (includes adding immunizer status too but not NAPLEX/MPJE test prep materials).
2nd state (app. + first reg. + NAPLEX score x-fer + MPJE test) cost me $385.
3rd state cost me $609.
4th state is costing me $807.

I planned on getting many licenses right out school, which reduced the impact on studying and potentially re-taking.

In terms of CE impact, on odd years it makes sense for me to do 15 hours of CE between May and November, but in even years I can spread them out January to November.

Last edited:
I have two licenses right now. I wouldn't spend the time or money to just accumulate them, but I don't live in an area where that would make sense. I don't plan on getting another one unless I'm looking to move to a particular state.

I know people who work for the remote order entry companies, or are a manager for a company that provides mgmt services (pharmacysytems inc) - who have had 10 or more licenses. As long as someone pays the fees, and you are organized to make sure you get the right combo of Ce's there is never "too many"

The cost adds up. I have 4 licenses and have never used one of them (got a CA license to be more competitive for residencies there). When I got my fourth one, I retook the NAPLEX so I could get it as a primary license and ditch the others when I decide they aren't worth it.

...why would a license make you more competitive for a residency? I don't know any that use that as part of their criteria.

I do live in a tri-state (really a penta-state) area. It would mainly broaden job prospects/allow for more shifts if I opted for overtime.

...why would a license make you more competitive for a residency? I don't know any that use that as part of their criteria.

Some CA residencies have had bad experiences with PGY-1's who fail the CPJE a few times, so they prefer in-state applicants.

Absent a clear and present or presumable need, I don't see why one would even bother. I suppose if you're within an hour of the state line (or do remote work), but someone like me (California) who is physically 10 hours south and 5 hours east from the next nearest state (and where ample opportunities exist within its borders), it doesn't make sense.

If I lived in NJ, though...I'd probably be licensed in NJ, PA, NY, and maybe Maryland + Virginia. But in CA, there are counties bigger than many eastern states.

The most common thing for NYC pharmacists would be to be licensed in NY, NJ, CT.

I don't think there is anything like "too many", depending on where you live and what you plan to do. Most people don't need multiple licenses, or at most 2 because they live close to a border. But yeah if you live in a tri-state area or want to be a traveling RPH around the country, then it would make sense to have multiple licenses.

Reactions: 1 user