Too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toshpharmd

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on applying next cycle but after reading some past threads, it seems like some schools still have spots open by the end of May. I haven't started the application and still need to shadow a podiatrist. I'll probably be able to get everything completed by the end of May. Would that be too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe so; I encourage you to spend time shadowing and apply if you are able to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, get your app in ASAP, then go shadow. My school is only at about 60% of deposits taken.

Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty sure scholl still has some spots available

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Scholl told me their applicatios were down 40%. They had 700 last year and are around 400 now. Direct from their admin team. Also they would only admit around 90-92 student versus their cap at 98 based on competitive applicants. If you're competitive and want to do this then go for it.

I am pretty sure scholl still has some spots available

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Scholl told me their applicatios were down 40%. They had 700 last year and are around 400 now. Direct from their admin team. Also they would only admit around 90-92 student versus their cap at 98 based on competitive applicants. If you're competitive and want to do this then go for it.

I'll like to add that NYCPM also have some seats up for grabs.

Source -- user @El Barrio confirmed this. And the school gave me a call just last week asking if I was still interested in applying because seats are available and they encourage me to submit my app.

Tl; dr - apply!

It doesn't make sense why applications are down so much this year... anyone have any good guesses? Have there been changes in the podiatric field or has compensation changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't why applications are down so much this year... anyone have any good guesses? Have there been changes in the podiatric field or has compensation changed?
My guess is its an anomaly. Either that or new DO, MD, dental, and PA schools opening up taking away potential applicants. Those fields are opening up new schools like nothing

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is its an anomaly. Either that or new DO, MD, dental, and PA schools opening up taking away potential applicants. Those fields are opening up new schools like nothing

Or maybe that time when podiatry didn't have enough residency spots for new grads scared people away... and maybe students starting becoming more aware of the potential <$100k starting salaries after doing basically medical school and a three year residency. Who knows

Or maybe that time when podiatry didn't have enough residency spots for new grads scared people away... and maybe students starting becoming more aware of the potential <$100k starting salaries after doing basically medical school and a three year residency. Who knows
Or that most people don't understand that salary of 80k with a bonus can = 160k+ a year. In my area, most are offered 100k salary and make at least 130k a year(lady with lowest had a bun in the oven). Generally, pre-meds are not the most financially savvy people. Everyone nowadays is leaning to the PA/RN track anyways to save themselves from debt. I let everyone else worry about the money they will be making because I will be driving the meanest 1996 Toyota Camry on the block while I struggle to pay back 200k, living in a studio apartment until I'm 35 with my 3 kids.

I will be driving the meanest 1996 Toyota Camry on the block.
Youre fancyyyy bro. I have my 2002 Diamante that my great grandma left me when she died; 50k miles on it haha I am driving it til it literally breaks down and falls apart on me.

Side note I completely agree. People need to understand finances before taking out the loans.

But even when you look at jobs on sites like simplyhired.com most of those job offers (excluding a few residency positions) were estimated around 130K+...If people actually do the research, the information is there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually talking to one of my friends the other day, who will be attending Mercer in the fall for their pharmacy program, and he said adcoms told him that apps were down this year as well for their school. Could be across the board in terms of graduate programs. With such an uncertain future, maybe people are gravitating less and less toward such intense programs that require huge loans.

The PA/NP field will hit their saturation mark in the upcoming years. It's not all that nice and warm for them either because there are new schools/new programs opening up everywhere. It's just the matter of time. Also, the more PAs/NPs are out there, the less autonomy the MD/DO community will face. This is already happening in the field of emergency medicine (NPs are fighting to be independent), anesthesia (CRNA) and others like Psy.

So I'm glad that the field of Podiatry has a better outlook in terms of saturation and job growth. The low number of applicants for this year, for whatever reason, in my opinion, is a good thing for those graduating in 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The PA/NP field will hit their saturation mark in the upcoming years. It's not all that nice and warm for them either because there are new schools/new programs opening up everywhere for them. It's just the matter of time. Also, the more PAs/NPs are out there, the less autonomy the MD/DO community will face. This is already happening in the field of emergency medicine (NPs are fighting to be independent, anesthesia (CRNA) and others like Psy.

So I'm glad that the field of Podiatry has a better outlook in terms of saturation and job growth. The low number of applicants for this year, for whatever reason, in my opinion, is a good thing for those graduating in 2021.
One of the main reasons I went ahead and applied this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't make sense why applications are down so much this year... anyone have any good guesses? Have there been changes in the podiatric field or has compensation changed?

Yeah, I've talked about it in other posts but a couple factors-

1) Residency shortage from some years ago (and continuing shortage)
2) Emergence and increased scope/autonomy of other healthcare related fields: PT, OT, NP, APRN, CRNA, PA
3) Podiatry's branding and marketing problem

I think 3 has always been around and has been exacerbated by problems #1/2. And re: the low salaries out of residency... I still think it is a short sighted approach. Compared to the other fields mentioned from point #2... DPM's still have the a nearly limitless earning capacity (owning wound care centers etc)

Yeah, I've talked about it in other posts but a couple factors-

1) Residency shortage from some years ago (and continuing shortage)
2) Emergence and increased scope/autonomy of other healthcare related fields: PT, OT, NP, APRN, CRNA, PA
3) Podiatry's branding and marketing problem

I think 3 has always been around and has been exacerbated by problems #1/2. And re: the low salaries out of residency... I still think it is a short sighted approach. Compared to the other fields mentioned from point #2... DPM's still have the a nearly limitless earning capacity (owning wound care centers etc)

I wish there would be an increased awareness of the field so people in their teens are aware of what a podiatrist is. Seems to me that most people don't learn about podiatry until they're in college or when they're and actually need a podiatrist while being referred to one by their primary care doctor. Then again podiatry wouldn't be one of the medical field's best kept secrets anymore so it would be a trade off lol.

But to my understanding the residency shortage is basically fixed now, right?

But to my understanding the residency shortage is basically fixed now, right?

Depends on what you define as fixed.
If it's everyone who graduates and passes gets a residency, then no.
If it's you have a very sound chance of getting a residency, then yes. There's another thread out there, but the numbers for those that do not place has gone down, and is on par with our MD/DO counterparts. However.. it is becoming increasingly difficult to place the students who did not place from previous years, and we're accumulating a buildup on that end.

Basically, if you don't place in your first go around, your chances drop every subsequent year of placing.

Depends on what you define as fixed.
If it's everyone who graduates and passes gets a residency, then no.
If it's you have a very sound chance of getting a residency, then yes. There's another thread out there, but the numbers for those that do not place has gone down, and is on par with our MD/DO counterparts. However.. it is becoming increasingly difficult to place the students who did not place from previous years, and we're accumulating a buildup on that end.

Basically, if you don't place in your first go around, your chances drop every subsequent year of placing.

It sounds like every step you take on the journey to become a doctor has the potential to become a legit nightmare

It sounds like every step you take on the journey to become a doctor has the potential to become a legit nightmare
Yup- yet, the general population thinks we 'make too much' and wonders how we're barreling towards a crisis level shortage.

For the astute Undergrad student- what is more enticing? Working semi hard for four years of undergrad, landing a gig as an equity trader with huge opportunities for performance based advancement/compensation, with no graduate debt- OR, four years of grueling training, an enormously cumbersome, hyper competitive entrance exam, THEN seven years of tireless labor and a mountain of debt. Our nation's best and brightest really have no market based incentive to enter any professional medical field.

The PA/NP field will hit their saturation mark in the upcoming years. It's not all that nice and warm for them either because there are new schools/new programs opening up everywhere. It's just the matter of time. Also, the more PAs/NPs are out there, the less autonomy the MD/DO community will face. This is already happening in the field of emergency medicine (NPs are fighting to be independent), anesthesia (CRNA) and others like Psy.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Will the applicant shortage this year affect the residency spots for the graduating class of 2022 ( 2017-2018 application cycle). As far as I understand, if residency spots go unfilled then they can close down. If the application numbers go back up next year and spots get filled, will we see a 2013-like residency shortage? I might be looking into it too much, but that seems like a possible concern. What do you guys think?

Seats are still available at Kent; just got an email from them

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Will the applicant shortage this year affect the residency spots for the graduating class of 2022 ( 2017-2018 application cycle). As far as I understand, if residency spots go unfilled then they can close down. If the application numbers go back up next year and spots get filled, will we see a 2013-like residency shortage? I might be looking into it too much, but that seems like a possible concern. What do you guys think?

Help me out here:

I understand there are kids from previous years that didn't match that enter the match each year with the "fresh" kids of that year. So if there's any remaining residency spots, can't the unmatched students from previous year pick something up?

(No sarcasm)

Help me out here:

I understand there are kids from previous years that didn't match that enter the match each year with the "fresh" kids of that year. So if there's any remaining residency spots, can't the unmatched students from previous year pick something up?

(No sarcasm)

Let's hope you're right!

Help me out here:

(No sarcasm)
Yes, they can, but there is some negative stigma towards those who didn't match the first time around and it makes it tough to match the second (or third) time. And some programs would choose to have a spot go empty rather than take a student who didn't originally match - sad but true.

Last edited:
Yes, they can, but there is some negative stigma towards those who didn't match the first time around and it makes it tough to match the second (or third) time. And some programs would choose to have a spot go empty than take a student who didn't originally match - sad but true.

That's harsh. Is there a thorough explanation of the whole process when y'all are in school?

That's harsh. Is there a thorough explanation of the whole process when y'all are in school?
An explanation of the matching process? There is an explanation of the process, but there is a lot more to it that can't really be explained in a presentation. The ins and outs of how to rank programs, what to do if you don't match, etc are things that are tough to adequately explain in a short slideshow.

An explanation of the matching process? There is an explanation of the process, but there is a lot more to it that can't really be explained in a presentation. The ins and outs of how to rank programs, what to do if you don't match, etc are things that are tough to adequately explain in a short slideshow.

Were there people in your school that didn't match? Did they eventually match? Is there a scramble like in medicine?

Were there people in your school that didn't match? Did they eventually match? Is there a scramble like in medicine?
The last question has been answered but to answer the first 2, there was one student in my class that didn't match but he withdrew so that he could match the following year at a specific program. I graduated right at the beginning of the residency shortage so things have changed a bit since then (2012).

Just got an email from Scholl that it's not too late to apply. So if you're still on the fence, I guess there's still seats available at Scholl

Just got an email from Scholl that it's not too late to apply. So if you're still on the fence, I guess there's still seats available at Scholl
To add on, before I got my physician letter in Scholl would email me twice a week reminding/encouraging me to finish my app so I could be interviewed. So not only are there spots, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they really need to fill some seats.

Nothing like desperation to make you excited to matriculate there.

To add on, before I got my physician letter in Scholl would email me twice a week reminding/encouraging me to finish my app so I could be interviewed. So not only are there spots, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they really need to fill some seats.

Yeah, it's bad. NYCPM even went as far as giving me a call after they had sent me several of those "please finish your app" emails. Shame I'm not ready to submit yet.

Nothing like desperation to make you excited to matriculate there.

Lol.... I'll be happy and doing cartwheels if I could have the opportunity to be "..excited to matriculate there"

It's a shame the schools are giving off such a thirsty vibe. Hopefully they don't start slashing the amount of seats.

They dont know how to play hard to get.. havent anyone on admissions at those schools seen Hitch?

This was fairly recent?

Yes, only about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks. I've submitted my application but how do I send the LORs? I can't seem to find any email that schools have listed and there wasn't any section on AACPMAS about that.

Interfolio is the easiest way.

I have all letters uploaded there already. How do I submit them to schools? Whenever I click submit, its asking for the email the school wants the LORs at. I might not be doing this correctly.

I received an email yesterday from AZPOD that interview dates are still open, which means AZPOD is still open...

I received an email yesterday from AZPOD that interview dates are still open, which means AZPOD is still open...

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll send my app in to this school as well.

Last I heard, Midwestern's class was full. The interview spots are more than likely for a waitlist spot. With such a small class size however, it might be possible to get in if people don't show up to orientation.

I talked with the dean and there are no open spots. Theyre interviewing for waitlist openings. He also said if you interview and they really really like you, but you stay on the waitlist, they sometimes will automatically accept that person for the following fall. But as of now, there are no openings for this coming fall