To the Dismissed Medical Students:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Post Med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those who were dismissed, for whatever reason, (i was academically dismissed after my first semester of my first year), what would you do differently if you could do it all again? Could you prevent yourself from making those mistakes again? What career path have you chosen or academic path since dismissal. What do you think of Carribean medical schools. Are you still striving for an MD in some novel way?

*Also, to those who were dismissed from their medical school and subsequently re-admitted, please share what process you went through to garner re-admission and any obstacles you faced at the university upon return i.e., social, stigma, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what are your plans now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not from experience: Your best bet in your situation, especially if there are mental health (or any health) issues that you're taking care of, is to go back to the school from where you were dismissed. If they won't take you back, it's unlikely that other schools will take you. You asked about the Caribbean... those students already have hurdles to jump over, but to explain that you were dismissed from a US school, then went to the Caribbean doesn't sound good. If you didn't pass in the US, what makes you think you'll pass in the caribbean where there is a giant weed-out process and less of a safety net? If you cite your mental health issues, which you're taking care of now, then why resort to the caribbean when you can give the school you left another chance? That's where I would start if it were me. Get a letter of sort from whoever you're seeing citing improvement and see if there is a way you can prove to them you can come back swinging, so-to-speak. Good luck, and I hope it works out!

Reactions: 1 users
I plan to treat some mental health issues that led to my demise, first and foremost, this summer. But I really don't want to give up on this.
You should not plan on simply treating your mental health issues quickly. Take the time to really deal with it, and you may find that your motivation, goals and plans change. As others have said, an MPH would be beneficial even with the MD. Why not look into those programs while you heal?

Reactions: 1 user
You should not plan on simply treating your mental health issues quickly. Take the time to really deal with it, and you may find that your motivation, goals and plans change. As others have said, an MPH would be beneficial even with the MD. Why not look into those programs while you heal?
depending on what kind of healing we are talking about, might be better to avoid school at all. Get a job even if it's relatively menial so you a) have some sort of income and b) have something to do. An even worse situation would be to drop out of or do poorly in an MPH or some other program right now.

I'm not sure on most schools policy, but dismissed for good after one semester?Especially with a documented mental health issue? Tell the school your plan , get treated, and get re-instated.

Going to the Caribbean would not be good for your mental health

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure on most schools policy, but dismissed for good after one semester?Especially with a documented mental health issue? Tell the school your plan , get treated, and get re-instated.

Okay

If dismissed preclinical years, I'd call it a blessing and pursue something like a Masters in Teaching or do an Accounting program and become a CPA.

If dismissed after step 1 with a decent score, I'd transfer to a CHEAP carrib school and try to land FM somewhere or transition into healthcare administration or pharmaceutical company as a manager/compliance director/other middle management job.

Those who were dismissed, for whatever reason, (i was academically dismissed after my first semester of my first year), what would you do differently if you could do it all again? Could you prevent yourself from making those mistakes again? What career path have you chosen or academic path since dismissal. What do you think of Carribean medical schools. Are you still striving for an MD in some novel way?
Love to hear your insight. Thank you.

Before medical school I had never been dismissed from anything I tried. I was ready for it. I passed everything first year. Was set up second; given an F for a course I passed. And then made to feel bad if I contested it. I was so paralyzed by 'hobsons choice'; given the illusion of a choice of returning but in reality pretty assured the same thing would happen again with same characters.

What would I have done differently? Not be gullible. I did all the right things; something crazy happened, I talked to the dean who supported the crazy prof who supported the orthopedic surgeons decisions. My situation was not about 'finding the best student and supporting and mentoring them' but 'finding the ones we don't want and create evidence as to why'.

The other students in my position were also afraid; and they put their lives on the line with petitions. I have been trying to put myself in their shoes. Some supported me; some were afraid of me.

What I have learned is that I walked lightly before 'my situation.' Transpired and I have been walking even lighter since then. Giving no one reason to put 'me in the situation room'.. but that is a fine line between 'avoidance Behaviour' too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am still striving. I have one last chance to pass Step1, step2ck, and Step3. People who write my original amcas Lor, suggested I alter my path; nurse anesthesia. I did go to a carribean school. I took out loans and had to pay loans off with those. No one told me that 'if you don't pass Step1 within first 3 tries you are not likely to get a residency. In fact, I am aware of IMGs who took 8-9 times to pass Step1. That was before the '6 attempt rule' was instituted.

Love to hear your insight. Thank you.

I was involved in a contrived cheating Incident, where a prof posted answers to an exam on the wall and left it there for 3 weeks. Answer sheets were given out. Prof invited students to turn their sheets in for regrade, when he could have graded them himself. I had passed, but made a mark on my sheet because he had graded it wrong; the answer was wrong and I didn't want him to see I had gotten it wrong. Stupid stress mistake. But the committee said it was 'character mistake' not academic. And judged me for being invited into their lair. Faculty said 'this type of thing doesn't usually happen .. lol. bS. I beat myself up for being so naive. And not a day goes by when I think.. what lesson should I have learned? What can I still learn? What I learned is that my parents are martyrs; when I was failing a chemistry course mid semester my freshman year, my father said 'I failed out of my first year of college, you can too; it'll be ok. I then proceeded to pull myself together and get a B.

But what are we striving for? At this point I am completely stuck in an existential crisis. I science and religion seem two different paths to me; yet they are both trying to Help humanity. But reconciling one with the other. A priest recently asked me, 'why can't you study both'? I dunno..

I plan to treat some mental health issues that led to my demise, first and foremost, this summer. But I really don't want to give up on this.

I have been going to Alanon and codependents anonymous; both of which have helped me tremendously. In addition, complex pTSd counseling. I don't want to ask what your issues are. But true 'trying to get proper help' with mental health is hard. I have flashbacks over something 20 yrs ago. I have acrophobia. Living in the Now and putting the past in the past is my goal. But so much easier said than done.

Not from experience: Your best bet in your situation, especially if there are mental health (or any health) issues that you're taking care of, is to go back to the school from where you were dismissed. If they won't take you back, it's unlikely that other schools will take you. You asked about the Caribbean... those students already have hurdles to jump over, but to explain that you were dismissed from a US school, then went to the Caribbean doesn't sound good. If you didn't pass in the US, what makes you think you'll pass in the caribbean where there is a giant weed-out process and less of a safety net? If you cite your mental health issues, which you're taking care of now, then why resort to the caribbean when you can give the school you left another chance? That's where I would start if it were me. Get a letter of sort from whoever you're seeing citing improvement and see if there is a way you can prove to them you can come back swinging, so-to-speak. Good luck, and I hope it works out!

The sad thing I am discovering is that 'this stuff happens all the time'. And it is 'we control you' stuff. In my situation they tried to make me believe that 'this type of thing Doesn't usually go in here'. bS. It happens everywhere. A place one year; B place the next. So that no place is ever accountable..

I tried to give my school a 'second chance'. I discovered it was 'Hobsons choice'. You are given the illusion of going back and it's your choice to succeed again. But in reality, it's an illusion. I passed every course well; until given An F for a course I passed. Character breach? At that point I couldn't trust any students or faculty to not put 10usd on the floor, invite me to pick it up, and turn me into Police. No one can function under these pretenses.

I am interested in knowing 'who went back after being suspended or dismissed'? I know one person at my school; he went back, applied for externships, left the state and never went back. Lucky him. I went back and tried and cried so hard I couldn't function.

That sounds odd to. In my case, faculty and students were pitted so hard against one another, so much conflict, that I was given one chance to pass Step1. I failed and was dismissed. I was gaslighted. I was told so many unbearable things. 'You are an antagonistic person' ugh. Never been told that before I just spent three years in African refugee camps:) worse, I was told by my dean to 'tell the story as best I could and see what happens' meaning she wanted me so neurotic that others would continue to judge me. And weirdly, I am telling my story 25 yrs later. Why? Because I am trying to heal.
I was entrapped. I am not a bad Person. Life is worth living. But I can't go around thinking everyone is going to entrap me..

Can I get your timeline correct? Was the cheating incident at the USMD or the Caribbean school? Just to be clear, you have actually taken Step 1? I just want to understand your story...no judgement.

Agreed 100%. I went to carribean. It was back fighting backstabbing competitiveness in some of the most dire places on the planet. Little Havana..
I feel like a walking miracle surviving the carribean.
In my case, I matriculated out of state. I tried to come back to my home state. The dean at one school said 'apply to' and come back here. By the time I tried to come back, the instate schools were not accepting transfers. So I went up and down the east coast, away from my loving (non medical family) for too long. By the time I came home, my parents were in decline; I was up to my ears in debt. And they were blaming me 'for being too ambitious'.

If dismissed preclinical years, I'd call it a blessing and pursue something like a Masters in Teaching or do an Accounting program and become a CPA.

If dismissed after step 1 with a decent score, I'd transfer to a CHEAP carrib school and try to land FM somewhere or transition into healthcare administration or pharmaceutical company as a manager/compliance director/other middle management job.

Lol. I have a friend who says 'a mistake is a blessing' but a really really big mistake is a resurrection:)

Interesting perspective

Agreed 100%. I went to carribean. It was back fighting backstabbing competitiveness in some of the most dire places on the planet. Little Havana..
I feel like a walking miracle surviving the carribean.
In my case, I matriculated out of state. I tried to come back to my home state. The dean at one school said 'apply to' and come back here. By the time I tried to come back, the instate schools were not accepting transfers. So I went up and down the east coast, away from my loving (non medical family) for too long. By the time I came home, my parents were in decline; I was up to my ears in debt. And they were blaming me 'for being too ambitious'.

You went to medical school in Cuba?

I was involved in a contrived cheating Incident, where a prof posted answers to an exam on the wall and left it there for 3 weeks. Answer sheets were given out. Prof invited students to turn their sheets in for regrade, when he could have graded them himself. I had passed, but made a mark on my sheet because he had graded it wrong; the answer was wrong and I didn't want him to see I had gotten it wrong. Stupid stress mistake. But the committee said it was 'character mistake' not academic. And judged me for being invited into their lair. Faculty said 'this type of thing doesn't usually happen .. lol. bS. I beat myself up for being so naive. And not a day goes by when I think.. what lesson should I have learned? What can I still learn? What I learned is that my parents are martyrs; when I was failing a chemistry course mid semester my freshman year, my father said 'I failed out of my first year of college, you can too; it'll be ok. I then proceeded to pull myself together and get a B.

But what are we striving for? At this point I am completely stuck in an existential crisis. I science and religion seem two different paths to me; yet they are both trying to Help humanity. But reconciling one with the other. A priest recently asked me, 'why can't you study both'? I dunno..

Really interesting thoughts on science and religion. This is hard for me to follow, but I'm sorry you had to go through this

I am interested in knowing 'who went back after being suspended or dismissed'? I know one person at my school; he went back, applied for externships, left the state and never went back. Lucky him. I went back and tried and cried so hard I couldn't function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

Also, How did externships help your friend? Guess I don't understand how they can be used to finish education, or at what point they can be used

You went to medical school in Cuba?
Little Havana is in Miami, I'm pretty sure.

I'm confused by her calling the Carib one of the most dire places on the planet after claiming to have spent 3 years in an African refugee camp? I'm a fairly well experienced traveler, married to a foreigner from a developing country... the Carib med schools are not "some of the most dire places on the planet". The whole story is confusing .

I was readmitted and being sponsored to take Step1 and Step2ck again.

Little Havana is in Miami, I'm pretty sure.

I'm confused by her calling the Carib one of the most dire places on the planet after claiming to have spent 3 years in an African refugee camp? I'm a fairly well experienced traveler, married to a foreigner from a developing country... the Carib med schools are not "some of the most dire places on the planet". The whole story is confusing .

yeah slowlybutshelly, your sentences jump all over the place. Sometimes there's like no connection between them.

Reactions: 5 users