BOTH To take USMLE or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lahaiesi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm wondering if I should take USMLE or not. The merger is making it slightly complicated on deciding if I should. I'm most likely going to pursue fellowship (possibly neonatal or maternal-fetal) so I feel like that means I definitely should take USMLE. Please help because my school is NOT helpful regarding this... I get different answers from different people. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I'm wondering if I should take USMLE or not. The merger is making it slightly complicated on deciding if I should. I'm most likely going to pursue fellowship (possibly neonatal or maternal-fetal) so I feel like that means I definitely should take USMLE. Please help because my school is NOT helpful regarding this... I get different answers from different people. Thank you!
I'm guessing you're a DO student. Honestly, if you're foundation is strong and you have the drive to study hard, it's recommended that you take it. But it's tough to say without knowing more information. When do you plan on taking it if you do? How did you perform in your preclinical years? How familiar are you with board prep material? Also, fellowship in what field of medicine? Neonatal neurosurg is very different from neonatal obgyn.

I am taking both and I am strongly advising that you do the same. It will likely only make things harder for you otherwise.