To Stanford undergrads/alum...just curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious as to whether any of you guys had a Dr. Robert Sapolsky as your biology professor? I think he's an awesome author and was just wondering how his classes were. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry! I had meant to post this in the pre-med forum.

He's one of the best lecturers I had in the biology core classes sophomore year. Plus, he's a cool guy. He spends several months a year in africa observing baboon behavior and taking blood samples. At least that's what he was doing when I was an undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really mrp? That's awesome :) I thinks he writes incredibly well - understandable and witty at the same time, and I just thought he would naturally be a great lecturer. You're lucky :)

E'01 -- I'll move the thread for ya. ;)

One of my biggest regrets of college was that I didn't take a class with Sapolsky, especially his Human Behavioral Biology class. Most of my friends who took it loved him and the class.

Ah I didn't know you went to Stanford Lilycat. Cool :) I didn't go there, but I wish I had taken advantage of the many cool classes at my undergrad before I left. Thanks for your imput and moving the thread over here!

I'm at Stanford right now, and I LOVE Sapolsky. You guys should read his new book "A primate's memoir" -- it's fantastic.

I had him for both the sophomore year Biology Core where he taught the segment on Neurobiology, and also for Human Behavioral Biology, which was perhaps the class that I best enjoyed. I think he's definitely the best teacher I've had here.

Go Sapolsky!

Originally posted by SonicHedgehog:
•I'm at Stanford right now, and I LOVE Sapolsky. You guys should read his new book "A primate's memoir" -- it's fantastic.

I had him for both the sophomore year Biology Core where he taught the segment on Neurobiology, and also for Human Behavioral Biology, which was perhaps the class that I best enjoyed. I think he's definitely the best teacher I've had here.

Go Sapolsky!•••

I LOVED that book! I was laughing out loud so much on the train when I would read it back and fro to work! I got it from the library and just had to buy a copy for myself to keep. It did become rather sad at the end though... Did Dr. Sapolsky ever offer to take students with him on those primate studies??

i thought of that before you. after reading his zebra book, i emailed him and asked if i could come. he said he only takes his wife and hires a few africans when he's on location. otherwise, no grad students or undergrads. sorry.

Sapolsky is an awesome professor! I had him for the Biology Core segment on neuro, the Human Behavioral Biology class, and then I took a seminar class that he taught my senior year. He is one of the most popular profs around campus, and there are a ton of non-biology/hum bio majors that take his behavioral biology class just for the experience. While he is an amazing lecturer, I do have to say that his seminar really took the cake. If it is still being taught, I would recommend to anyone who's now at Stanford to definitely enroll in that course! (if you can -- it was always really popular)

He is also a bit eccentric, which always makes things interesting. If you've ever seen a picture of him, he has a really bushy beard, longer curly hair, and he always wears either jeans or running shorts to class. :)