To serve my country or to go to school?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elitehacker1337

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I want to do some sort of service after my undergrad. Is it advisable for me to join some branch of the military for 2 years before applying to schools for a professional career? This would allow me to experience more of what life has to offer and travel a bit. I would NOT serve as a marine as I don't think I'm a tough enough guy for it but I'd do something like air-force or something that doesn't involve as much physical as I'm a pretty small guy. 5.5" 155lbs but I did play football and do workout and stay in relatively decent shape.

My main question is, how would I approach the MCAT? Would I take it before I go on duty for 2 years or after. Afterwards, I'd imagine it be significantly harder because 2 years of no schooling. If I do before, then I will have a 2 year old MCAT. Wouldn't that require a retake due to expiration for some schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot join the military for two years. And I know we all rag on the Air Force, but every branch is physical to an extent, especially on deployment.

Don't join the military. As much as I love it, there are better ways to "experience what life has to offer," and the military has enough people who regret joining.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to serve your country, join americorps. If you want to serve your country's agenda, join the military.

Reactions: 1 users