To PT or not to PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a dilemma, having a bit of trouble deciding on what I want to do with my life. So I graduated college awhile back with a Biology degree (4 to 5 years to be exact) and worked at various jobs inside and outside of healthcare. I was hoping during that "break" I would figure it out, but I am still in the same position. I just feel like after shadowing and working that work is work and to just find a career that I can tolerate. I used to think that you are suppose to love your job 24/7 and have a huge passion, but as I get older its like just choose a career that can provide and on your free time you can pursue your passion. Heck I have seen doctors as soon as its time they are the first to leave the clinic and are rushing to get out. The time to decide is up and I need to figure it out now. I am afraid that I will be in my 30s and still haven't figure it out, that is one of my fears. It is fast approaching.

My two career ideas currently have been physical therapy or nursing. Objectively speaking I think nursing is a great career choice, lots of room for growth, short schooling, low debt, make good money, great job market, reliable source of income, can do more schooling if I choose. Cons would be I don't know if I like the work, it is more of an indifferent feeling, however I can always go to more schooling in the future with nursing. Also being a nurse is not something where I exactly feel proud of, it is more of a whatever feeling.

PT I would say more interested in. I like the chill lifestyle, not that stressful, ability to open your own practice. Cons: would be that I worked as a pt aide before and I actually felt kinda bored. Now I work in outpatient at a low traffic clinic. I asked my other friends who are pt aides and they felt that same sentiment. On top of that the amount of debt to income ratio, the income isn't that much for amount of schooling, having to deal with insurance reimbursements... mainly the income bothers me a bit. The PT I worked for said there is no money in PT and that PT is dependent on how well the economy is doing. I have talked to other PT and most of them have multiple PT jobs which makes me think they can't get full time work or make enough to support their lifestyle. I am not looking to be rich or anything, but I would like at least 85k minimum preferably 6 figures to be happy (I live in high cost area). From shadowing and talking to PTs I can expect 60-75k in the beginning and after many years 85k and maybe 6 figures, but that is unrealistic. Best way I heard to make a decent living would be through home health or be a travel PT.

As you can tell I have been thinking a lot about this. The time to decide is up and I need to figure it out soon. Hopefully I would like to apply soon so I can essentially get started with my life. I would like to hear your opinions and options. WHat would you do if you were in my position?

Summary: Nurse or PT or what other healthcare jobs do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am in a dilemma, having a bit of trouble deciding on what I want to do with my life. So I graduated college awhile back with a Biology degree (4 to 5 years to be exact) and worked at various jobs inside and outside of healthcare. I was hoping during that "break" I would figure it out, but I am still in the same position. I just feel like after shadowing and working that work is work and to just find a career that I can tolerate. I used to think that you are suppose to love your job 24/7 and have a huge passion, but as I get older its like just choose a career that can provide and on your free time you can pursue your passion. Heck I have seen doctors as soon as its time they are the first to leave the clinic and are rushing to get out. The time to decide is up and I need to figure it out now. I am afraid that I will be in my 30s and still haven't figure it out, that is one of my fears. It is fast approaching.

My two career ideas currently have been physical therapy or nursing. Objectively speaking I think nursing is a great career choice, lots of room for growth, short schooling, low debt, make good money, great job market, reliable source of income, can do more schooling if I choose. Cons would be I don't know if I like the work, it is more of an indifferent feeling, however I can always go to more schooling in the future with nursing. Also being a nurse is not something where I exactly feel proud of, it is more of a whatever feeling.

PT I would say more interested in. I like the chill lifestyle, not that stressful, ability to open your own practice. Cons: would be that I worked as a pt aide before and I actually felt kinda bored. Now I work in outpatient at a low traffic clinic. I asked my other friends who are pt aides and they felt that same sentiment. On top of that the amount of debt to income ratio, the income isn't that much for amount of schooling, having to deal with insurance reimbursements... mainly the income bothers me a bit. The PT I worked for said there is no money in PT and that PT is dependent on how well the economy is doing. I have talked to other PT and most of them have multiple PT jobs which makes me think they can't get full time work or make enough to support their lifestyle. I am not looking to be rich or anything, but I would like at least 85k minimum preferably 6 figures to be happy (I live in high cost area). From shadowing and talking to PTs I can expect 60-75k in the beginning and after many years 85k and maybe 6 figures, but that is unrealistic. Best way I heard to make a decent living would be through home health or be a travel PT.

As you can tell I have been thinking a lot about this. The time to decide is up and I need to figure it out soon. Hopefully I would like to apply soon so I can essentially get started with my life. I would like to hear your opinions and options. WHat would you do if you were in my position?

You could always go the nursing route and then progress into something like PA or NP, where you make more than a PT, likely with less invested into schooling. Sounds like you might enjoy that work more.

I'll add that if you do go down the PT route, check out some other settings before you commit. I thought my outpatient experience was really boring as well and if that was my only exposure I'd have turned away. I liked the hospital and SNF (I know) settings I volunteered at a lot more.

As a pt aide as well, I was kind of bored with my daily tasks but getting to watch the PT's do what they did showed me I wouldnt be bored once I got to that step and just had to do the aide work until I got into school. The schooling is what it is, the cost is what it is. You have to do it if you want the job so find a good school you will enjoy and make the most of it. Try to find opportunity in schools that keep cost down but that isn't always possible for everyone. As for school, it's fun to be in a class with so many others who are just as passionate as you towards the same field plus the competition is over once you are in so helping each other and becoming friends makes it even better.

Making money in healthcare is also another thing, most don't do these jobs for purely the income. If we were strictly worried about the dollars then we may have went for something else but I also don't believe 60k-85k is something bad. I know many in other job fields who would love that income and they seem to make their income work just fine, but if money is the biggest concern you may want to look elsewhere or decide on what can be let go in your dreams to make life more affordable. Just my two cents and I say choose the field you have a stronger desire for. Sounds like of these two, that is PT but you have to know yourself and make that decision. I know its hard but don't make your future career decisions strictly off this forum. I know you are worried about not having a decision made by your 30's but I have classmates who are 35 and older. They don't seem to be bothered to be making this change at this time in their lives and honestly they look the most relaxed in class.

P.S. I also started PT school after a 5 year break.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would really like to respond to you in a pm, but I'm not able to. Shoot me a pm. I'm on a similar boat.

Regarding the income: it depends on your location. I'm from the Bay Area and CA is highly in need of PTs, therefore for example at the outpatient clinic I work in as an aide, they are paying the PTs between $50-55 an hour and the PTAs between $31-33 an hour. For other outpatient clinics in the bay area that I know of, the PTs are paid starting at $45. Which is over 85K. I think it's similar for other expensive locations. Because I live in CA I've never hear any PTs here making less than 85k lol.

A lot of pt clinics where im from are turning clinics to cash pay business which has a lot more pros than insurance/cash based clinics. More money too depending on location (where ppl will be willing to pay a lot of cash for their sessions)

In my opinion You have to choose what you think is more than just tolerable bc you will have this job for a long time if that's what you choose esp if you will go through all the schooling. But u already know that. Good luck with everything!

I understand your dilemma, however a career in healthcare is based on your desire to help people, not on the income. From my experience, there are PTs who work multiple jobs for the money, while others do it to keep up their skills in different areas.
The work setting affects your attitude about the career. When I was doing my volunteer hours for school, I thought acute care/hospital work was boring while outpatient was exciting and fun. However, when I went into school and did clinical rotations, I did not like the outpatient setting, and much preferred hospitals and pediatric settings. Also, it also depends on the PTs you talk to about these things; some are burnt out and don't like their jobs, while others are very enthusiastic about it, even years later. The same can be said about any other health profession: Nursing, PAs, MDs, etc.
In terms of schooling, you need to also to look into what pre-reqs the programs require. You have a bio degree, so you should be covered for most programs aside from any standardized testing scores they need.

From reading your post, it sounds like the PT lifestyle is what you're looking for. As a current DPT student, I can say (with only a little clinical experience) that the profession itself is extremely rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be an unpopular opinion but it is my opinion so I will state it.

I would not recommend PT... or really any job in healthcare.

The sad reality of many PT positions is they don't care how great of a PT you are but how many units you can pump out in one day. There are places with unrealistic expectations which either promote people to be fraudulent or work off the clock. The system isn't fair to the patient or the practitioner and I know this occurs in fields besides PT. Stress level obviously depends on the setting and company but I am stressed many (but not all!!) days at work. I think I have worked over 80 hours worth of overtime this year. Great for the wallet but some days I don't want to stay late but I have no choice because I don't have time to complete my tasks in an 8 hour day. And I hate being made to feel guilty because I am not "dedicated" to the department as if there is no other part of my life outside of work. Then there is the factor of the cost of education and the pay you get at the end of the day. I am beyond thankful I got out of school with under $100K in loans but add daily collecting interest and it is a bitch paying them back. I can't wait for the day for them to be gone; hopefully within 1 year. Unfortunately the higher paying jobs may be the places which have unethical practices.

I could write so much more but those 2 reasons are my main ones. Are there great places to work for as a PT? Yes absolutely! But they aren't always the easiest positions to get. I have had many wonderful patient encounters and stories which have truly touched me and motivated me. When patients tell you how much you changed their lives for the better it is such a great feeling. I am also sure that probably every industry in this country overworks, undervalues, and underpays employees. If only everyone could be self employed....