To become ECFMG-certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So from what I understand I should have done all steps before I graduate. I will graduate in June 2022 --> will I make it for the 2023 match without any stress during the application process? How long does it take to become ECFMG-certified after graduation in my case?

And "all steps done" does not include step 3, right?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to do any of the steps before graduation and yes by passing step 1, 2 CK and CS you are certified.

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

You don't have to do any of the steps before graduation and yes by passing step 1, 2 CK and CS you are certified.

Wait, what really? I thought I had to do all steps before I graduate so that I could get certified in good time before the application starts in September. This way, I can match in 2023. Or so is the plan at least - what say you?

Members don't see this ad :)
The earlier the better but its not a must, you should totally do your best to manage that as long as studying for your school won't distract you from the score you want. Bottom line is get the highest score you can get , if this is possible during your school go for it , if not I don't think a year or two after your YOG would have as negative impact on your application as a low steps score.

The earlier the better but its not a must, you should totally do your best to manage that as long as studying for your school won't distract you from the score you want. Bottom line is get the highest score you can get , if this is possible during your school go for it , if not I don't think a year or two after your YOG would have as negative impact on your application as a low steps score.
Swedish medical degrees will not be accepted from 2023 I've heard and thus, I can not wait it out!

However, I've planned out a few things and came to this plan: I will have all USMLE (including step 3 if necessary for H1b) done as latest 16 weeks before graduation in June 2022. The medical schools here in Sweden are 5,5 years long, leaving much more room to study for these exams compared to the medical students in the US. We always also have 2 months holiday every summer (unlike the American students who seems to only have it once). How do you see USMLE done 16 weeks before graduation in June 2022? I should be fine, no :)?

The time you need is highly variable mostly depending on how similar is your school curriculum and that of the boards. 16 weeks should be fine if you are familiar with the material tested on the exam.