This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foever23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to CSUF for fall 2016 as a Biology major. :) I am not someone with a lot of time to just focus on school only. I have a 6 year old son & I work part-time to be able to go to school. I want to do Pharmacy school later down the road.

Is biology a very tough major? Should I just do health science since pharmacy school doesn't require a bio bachelors? My counselor recommended I do health science AFTER I submitted my application for biology -_- I do love biology but if health sciences is easy and would boost my GPA should I take that route? or does Biology "look better" for pharmacy school?

Please help andyadvice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted to CSUF for fall 2016 as a Biology major. :) I am not someone with a lot of time to just focus on school only. I have a 6 year old son & I work part-time to be able to go to school. I want to do Pharmacy school later down the road.

Is biology a very tough major? Should I just do health science since pharmacy school doesn't require a bio bachelors? My counselor recommended I do health science AFTER I submitted my application for biology -_- I do love biology but if health sciences is easy and would boost my GPA should I take that route? or does Biology "look better" for pharmacy school?

R u a prepharm student? If I were u I would change my major from bio to nursing at csuf that way you have job to fall back on when you are done with school. If u do health sciences or biology u r basically only studying to go to graduate school and after a bachelors u won't be able to land a good job that pays well just with a bio or health sciences degree. If u do nursing that way u cover ur prereqs for pharmacy and be a nurse.

If you want you can just do two years of prepharmacy and then apply to pharmacy schools.

Or you can do the easier major and apply. Regardless of what major you have, I don't think it matters. Just have a strong GPA and do well in your PCATS.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my understanding, health sciences at CSUF is basically public health. And biology is biology. In my opinion, both are fine choices. Neither really gives you a major leg up as far as pharmacy admissions is concerned.

Hi! I'm a prospective student for CSUf and UC Riverside but cannot decide which school is best for my chosen career. I plan to be a pediatrician but does it matter to graduate schools if I attend a CSU or a UC? I am majoring in Biology and, if I attend Fullerton, am also considering a minor in Health Science. But will my attendance at a CSU affect my admission into medical school?

I would definitely second the nursing major. Or compsci/econ/math/etc. that can get you a job if you decide pharmacy is no longer for you or if something doesn't work out. Although, you would have to complete more pre-reqs than the typical nursing student for pharmacy school, like o.chem, biochem, physics, calc, etc. No offense, but biology is a miserable major for a back-up plan. All you can do is get a master's and you still won't have a job. It's a bland and common major to apply for health professional schools, because everyone does it and it's easier than chemistry/physics/math.etc. Biology is not impressive to a pharmacy school, so unless you love it and want to study it, I wouldn't touch it.

I double majored in math and communications, and I still got into a top pharm school with no problems.