To apply rads AOA or Not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihopeimatchradiologyDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a question for you: here are my scores as follows...

220 step1/240 step 2

500 comlex 1/490 comlex 2

everything else in my application is solid (research, strong academic md letters etc)

is it even worth apply to AOA rads, given that my comlex scores at not good to begin with? planning to apply very very broadly ACGME..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to low tier ACGME and AOA as backup. Radiology is going to be a tough match for you. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the 220 will hold you back. You will definitely match 'somewhere' - but I wouldn't hold my breath for academic programs or even the better community programs in desirable locales. Not hating, just a fellow DO who's been through it.

Avoid AOA at all costs. Don't even think about it. Go to any MD program over that.

Yeah, the 220 will hold you back. You will definitely match 'somewhere' - but I wouldn't hold my breath for academic programs or even the better community programs in desirable locales. Not hating, just a fellow DO who's been through it.

Avoid AOA at all costs. Don't even think about it. Go to any MD program over that.

Thank you. How much would recommendation letters help?

I think I can reliably point out academic programs, which you say may be a stretch for the OP, but how can we tell between a mid tier, good community and poor community program?

I've never understood what "midtier" means or what list is used to determine it (Doximity, p53, your friendly neighborhood radiologist's opinion). I think it means different things to different people, but I've always assumed it covers everything between top "X" fancy-sounding & community programs

Community programs that are a level 1 and part of a large hospital network are considered 'high tier' - mid tier would be level 2's or programs that are still part of a network but not as busy. low tier is independent community programs that need to have residents rotate at outside hospitals to get numbers - shouldn't be residencies at these places to begin with.

Community programs that are a level 1 and part of a large hospital network are considered 'high tier' - mid tier would be level 2's or programs that are still part of a network but not as busy. low tier is independent community programs that need to have residents rotate at outside hospitals to get numbers - shouldn't be residencies at these places to begin with.
Thanks, clearer than I was on this now.