To Any One Who Would Like To Help a Worried Person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADMV3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright alright, I am just another worried undergrad student who is getting ready to apply to physical therapy school and could use all the help I could get. Just to preface, this will be a long post so I understand if you do not want to read the whole thing.

So for the first three semesters of undergrad I was a general bio major planning to do pre-dental. Due to this I took some science classes that I do not need for physical therapy school. One very interesting thing about my school is that the progression of taking chemistry goes like this: general chemistry 1, organic chemistry 1, organic chemistry 2, and then general chemistry 2 (to my understanding, we are like the only school that does this).

I did not excel in my first two years as a gen. bio major. I had a 2.67 gpa after my year of college. After making my major switch to kinesiology and changing my career path to physical therapy I am going to be graduating this week with around a 3.43 cumulative gpa. I have also been able to get on the deans list for the past 3 consecutive semesters. I know that my cumulative gpa is not very competitive or impressive, but maybe schools will see the positive increase? Also, my pre-req gpa is about a 3.0-3.1. But I am planning to retake A&P 1&2 and general chemistry 1. And I will be taking general chemistry 2. I received a C- in A&P 1 and a C+ in A&P 2 and a B- in general chemistry lecture and B+ in lab. I received a D my first time taking organic chemistry and a C- taking it a second time. I wish I knew earlier that I wanted to do physical therapy (since organic chemistry isn't required) and it's unfortunate that my school makes us go through that chemistry progression to reach gen chemistry 2. I truly believe that I received low grades in these science classes because I just really didn't try hard, but I am confident that I can receive As in these courses when I re-take them over the summer at a community college.

So as an undergrad I'll graduate with a 3.43 cum gpa and around a 3.0-3.1 pre-requisite gpa. I have about 110 hours of outpatient observation hours and I am planning to get more outpatient hours and some inpatient hours this summer. I am also taking the GRE for the first time this June/July.

For extra-curricular activities: I have been a bio TA for 2 years, I was an RA for a year and a half, I created my own organization on campus and ran it for 2 years, I was part of three separate e-boards for clubs/organizations, and I participated in many intramural sports and other volunteer things.

So I guess there's my life story. I am usually just a very nervous type of person and get pretty unconfident in myself easily. I'm looking at many different programs on the east coast such as MD, VA, DC, CT, PA, and MA. I'm looking at UM Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Shannendoah, Marymount, Howard, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and a handful of other schools.

I'm just looking for impressions and advice for those who are applying as well, who have already been accepted, and are currently in PT school.

If you read through this whole thing, thanks a ton and here is a virtual hug.

Members don't see this ad.

You sound a lot like me when I was where you are. It looks like you're on the right track and you'll be a good applicant. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
look for programs that take the highest grades for prereqs and you should be fine after you retake those classes.

Yeah, it seems like you have a solid plan mapped out. Once you retake those courses, your pre-req GPA will increase significantly; and considering your cumulative GPA as well, you definitely have qualifying GPAs to apply. This is my opinion, but I think receiving A's in both Anatomy and Physiology is crucial as a pre-PT student. Make sure to study hard when retaking those courses! You are definitely on the right track so keep it up!

Reactions: 1 user
You sound a lot like me when I was where you are. It looks like you're on the right track and you'll be a good applicant. Good luck.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Are you currently in PT school or got accepted? Did you do anything to improve from that point?

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Are you currently in PT school or got accepted? Did you do anything to improve from that point?
Yw. I graduated in 2008. You're on the right track, try not to worry.

Try not to stress too much; if you meet a school's minimums for consideration, it really just seems to be luck of the draw from there. I got into and waitlisted at schools I expected to be rejected from and vice versa. Just feel confident in the work you've put in & the plan you've mapped out. Make sure to write compelling essays.

Reactions: 1 user