*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-explain your motivation to seek a career in dentistry. discuss your philosophy of the dental profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession (5000 words)
-Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. please describe your personal characteristic (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others (2500 words limit)
-Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not been previously presented (2500 words limit)

By the way, if you aren't a texas resident then you don't have to use the TMDSAS app but you can. Just TX residents absolutely have to use it so that they can verify your residency.

thank you! thats a huge world limit! do people usually write 10 pages?!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a very important question.

Are the A&M lab coats not monogrammed??? That might be so petty, but that will really turn me off on the school lolol. I'm still going at this point regardless but i just want to know

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Are the A&M lab coats not monogrammed??? That might be so petty, but that will really turn me off on the school lolol. I'm still going at this point regardless but i just want to know
They are

The lab coats you get as D1's aren't (those are the coats they are sizing you for in the Pre-matriculation packet.). Those are just for use in gross anatomy lab. The coats you get in the white coat ceremony D2 year are though.

Reactions: 1 users
For the Texas schools-do the science rec letters have to be professors or can they be lab people instead? Really would rather use lab PI's rather than professors haha

For the Texas schools-do the science rec letters have to be professors or can they be lab people instead? Really would rather use lab PI's rather than professors haha
"Evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate him/her both academically and personally. It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences." -Via the TMDSAS website.

You can use the lab PI for the 4th, optional letter, but it's important for the science rec letters to be from professors.

For anyone that was accepted, what options do we have in regards to the cost of attendance? Are there any type of loan options for Texas residents or do we just have Stafford loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear San Antonio, still waiting for you while I am spying on sdn to see all the guys who got accepted with a broken heart

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey Y'all. For those of y'all going to impressions this Saturday I'm gonna be helping out with waxing in the lab. So bring your A game, I won't tolerate anything less than perfection (Jk). I can't wait to meet y'all. :thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users
I received a rejection letter from SA today :( I guess the schools are wrapping up pretty early this year.

Yes lingbird, I also interviewed with Houston. I only applied to Texas schools.

Hey Y'all. For those of y'all going to impressions this Saturday I'm gonna be helping out with waxing in the lab. So bring your A game, I won't tolerate anything less than perfection (Jk). I can't wait to meet y'all. :thumbup:
Boooooo go to dental olympicsssss.

Received rejection from UTHSCSA this morning at 10:30AM basically said entry into the school of dentistry is very competitive therefore many people get declined, they carefully looked at my application and regret to inform that I am not offered a spot. Not a negative on me but a reflection on how strong the competition is. They are happy I took time to interview and gave instructions to apply again and wished me the best.

I'm a little disappointed as this was my top choice. Still haven't heard from TAMU but I suspect I will be getting a similar email from them soon. At least I have an acceptance to an out of state school so I will be a dentist soon, would have been nice to save the money and be close to my family, but sacrifices have to be made for the things you truly want

Reactions: 3 users
Received rejection from UTHSCSA this morning at 10:30AM basically said entry into the school of dentistry is very competitive therefore many people get declined, they carefully looked at my application and regret to inform that I am not offered a spot. Not a negative on me but a reflection on how strong the competition is. They are happy I took time to interview and gave instructions to apply again and wished me the best.

I'm a little disappointed as this was my top choice. Still haven't heard from TAMU but I suspect I will be getting a similar email from them soon. At least I have an acceptance to an out of state school so I will be a dentist soon, would have been nice to save the money and be close to my family, but sacrifices have to be made for the things you truly want
I'm sorry :( When did you interview at UTHSCSA? Congrats on your OOS acceptance!

I also got the email this morning, but they mentioned I was on the alternate list.

I'm sorry :( When did you interview at UTHSCSA? Congrats on your OOS acceptance!
I interviewed on Jan 9th, with the late interview I knew my chances weren't the highest. No mention of alternate list on my email. I interviewed at TAMU back mid November. Straight up rejection to Houston in February.

What did your e-mail say?

Hi germx, my email from SA was pretty much how jdpierp described above:

Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Dentistry. Admission to the School of Dentistry is highly competitive, and for this reason many applicants cannot be accepted. The Admissions Committee carefully reviewed your application and we regret to inform you that we cannot offer you a place in the entering class of 2017. This decision is not a negative reflection of your academic ability or promise, but a reflection of the strong competition among applicants for the limited space in our incoming class.

If you wish to reapply for the entering class of 2018, it will be necessary for you to complete a new application. These applications are available online at www.tmdsas.com starting May 1, and the deadline for submission is October 1, 2017. As always, we suggest early submission of applications in order to provide adequate time for committee consideration.

We are honored you decided to apply to our School and took the time to interview with us. We wish you the very best for a successful future.

After reading this letter today, I don't have any further hopes for Houston if the committees have already reached this far in the reviewing process, so I'm gonna expect another sad news to come my way. Right now I'm just thinking about what I can do better for the next application cycle. My sincere congrats to the students who were accepted this year :clap::woot::banana::claps:

If any prospective students have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I will be more than happy to share my experience.

Last edited:

That was the most dramatic article I've ever read lol. Also if they didn't want to be taken over by eminent domain, they probably should have been willing to negotiate when the school first tried. Also they should have thought about that before they bought the property as well.

Reactions: 2 users
So question

I saw earlier today that the Texas government passed a proposal to freeze all tuition increases for Public institutions for 2 years, and afterwards cap it to a 1% increase per year based on performance incentives. Do you think this applies to Dental schools?

For those going to Texas A&M and need furniture, I live close by and will be moving out of state for dental school. If you need anything or interested, please message me. I am selling EVERYTHING! :D

Has anyone that interviewed with TAMU gotten a formal rejection yet? I interviewed at TAMU in November and UTHSCSA in January. Got rejected from UT a bit ago but nothing but radio silence from TAMU

That was the most dramatic article I've ever read lol. Also if they didn't want to be taken over by eminent domain, they probably should have been willing to negotiate when the school first tried. Also they should have thought about that before they bought the property as well.
so dramatic. and very one sided.
the owner of the property is bankrupt and the bar owners are caught in the middle, which is unfortunate.
the guy hired his own appraiser who valued the property LESS THAN what A&M's appraiser determined. A&M offered to pay the higher of the two and he still declined!
the bar is a complete dump and an eye sore.

so dramatic. and very one sided.
the owner of the property is bankrupt and the bar owners are caught in the middle, which is unfortunate.
the guy hired his own appraiser who valued the property LESS THAN what A&M's appraiser determined. A&M offered to pay the higher of the two and he still declined!
the bar is a complete dump and an eye sore.
Savage.

Has anyone that interviewed with TAMU gotten a formal rejection yet? I interviewed at TAMU in November and UTHSCSA in January. Got rejected from UT a bit ago but nothing but radio silence from TAMU

Same. TAMU is supposed to let us know if we're on the alternate list soon, but I haven't heard back either. :(

Same. TAMU is supposed to let us know if we're on the alternate list soon, but I haven't heard back either. :(

I was told today that the alternate list will be released around the end of the month.

Were you told this with regard to April or February? It wouldn't make sense to release an alternate list in February when the 2nd wave of acceptances hadn't gone out yet.
When I called, in the first week of February, they told me they were sending second wave the next week and alternate list at the end of the month.

Just saying what I was told.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

When I called, in the first week of February, they told me they were sending second wave the next week and alternate list at the end of the month.

Just saying what I was told.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

I'm not doubting you, I'm intrigued is all.

TAMU just signed us up for our first year classes and oh my gowd its a doozie :eek::eek::eek: