*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think you are intentionally lying, however, there is a big chance that they are telling you that so that you can stop calling them so often and stop worrying. What would happen if they start telling you exactly where they are in the process? They will receive daily calls from people waiting like us asking for an update. That will severely hinder the work day.

You've stated that you were waitlisted. With them knowing that already, they can tell you almost anything and it wouldn't make a difference (except they will not have to take your call as often).

The truth is, no one here actually knows except for the admissions committee. Even then, until April 1st, applicants can hold on to multiple seats and distort the number of available spots. In addition, it is not always in the school's best interest to reveal definitively where it is in the process.

The best thing to do is just imagine that you'll have to re-apply anyway and just work on your application. Good luck to all.
You are probably right

Members don't see this ad.

To whoever is lying and getting people's hopes up: stop! The process is stressful as is. Everyone be patient and like the comment stated above says, "just get ready to re-apply" and basically, don't expect anything. God will grant you the opportunity to attend dental school when you least expect it and MOST deserve it. Positive vibes! Keep your prayers up! And if you do have to re apply, relax, it's not the end of the world :) as to whoever got accepted, congrats! And remember "it's nice to be important but more important to be nice" and "work hard to achieve things but remember you gotta work TWICE as hard to keep them."

Reactions: 1 user
^^to everyone above:

I understand the stress of the cycle, so everyone seem to kinda on the edge. But please appreciate others answer as they're trying to help.
You can believe it or you don't, that's your choice.

As of the matter of UTSD:
- You can call, email, walk in, and you would receive the same answer. As the moment, the class is almost-to-fully full. Maybe one or two acceptances will get send out if someone decide to give up their spot and go elsewhere. Or they just might receive more fund and able to accept more students.
- All you can do at this point, is can either update to the school your application info, like whether you improve in any courses, activities, bla bla...
- Or you can also prepare for the worst and reapply

I know it's hard to say just relax, but everything is out of your reach now. So just let it be.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an offer on Monday to UTSD! Better late than never!

Reactions: 10 users
Received something in the mail today with a list of students in the baylor class. It's at 99 people

Reactions: 1 users
did it have any other info?

Just names, I did go through and count there were 53 women (might be 56 there were three names I couldn't confirm). Interestingly, to me at least, there were 5 Nigerians and 7 Vietnamese people based purely on the names, idk if that's actually accurate, but if there are actually 5 individuals with Nigerian origin, then that had to be one of the most overrepresented ethnicities.

I actually am of the opinion that Nigerian people are the most overrepresented ethnicity in all of American medicine, as there are only around 300,000 of them in the country, or .1 percent, according to 2013 census info. But I constantly see Nigerians in medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry.

This is interesting to me but probably not they interesting to everyone else, but oh well.

Just names, I did go through and count there were 53 women (might be 56 there were three names I couldn't confirm). Interestingly, to me at least, there were 5 Nigerians and 7 Vietnamese people based purely on the names, idk if that's actually accurate, but if there are actually 5 individuals with Nigerian origin, then that had to be one of the most overrepresented ethnicities.

I actually am of the opinion that Nigerian people are the most overrepresented ethnicity in all of American medicine, as there are only around 300,000 of them in the country, or .1 percent, according to 2013 census info. But I constantly see Nigerians in medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry.

This is interesting to me but probably not they interesting to everyone else, but oh well.
We have 20 out of 103 Vietnamese in our class.

As long as the applicants are qualified, I dont see any problem whether overpresented or underpresented.

We have 20 out of 103 Vietnamese in our class.

As long as the applicants are qualified, I dont see any problem whether overpresented or underpresented.

Oh I absolutely see no problems with it either, it's just interesting! That's one thing I like in dentistry is that there's really no race bias in acceptances. If you look at the stats for schools other than Howard and meharry, everything is basically even, whereas in medicine there's a much wider gap when it comes to OEM and URM applicants

Members don't see this ad :)

Because were smart! Haha

Reactions: 2 users
Need some advice from those of yall from Texas. Planning on applying this upcoming cycle, and I know that applying early is best. I was planning on taking my DAT in mid May, but with work (I work as a consultant) I have not been able to get all the way to the point where I feel comfortable yet, and feel that I may need more time. Was thinking of delaying taking it until the summer.
Few Questions:
-What is considered "early" in the Texas application cycle?
-How late in the summer could I take it and still be OK? (this is with getting my application in beforehand, at whatever "early" is considered)
-Is it better to submit app without DAT if I feel it will help me do better or should I still be aiming for that mid-May test DAT?

Thank You all for the help!!

Need some advice from those of yall from Texas. Planning on applying this upcoming cycle, and I know that applying early is best. I was planning on taking my DAT in mid May, but with work (I work as a consultant) I have not been able to get all the way to the point where I feel comfortable yet, and feel that I may need more time. Was thinking of delaying taking it until the summer.
Few Questions:
-How late in the summer could I take it and still be OK? (this is with getting my application in beforehand, at whatever "early" is considered)
-Is it better to submit app without DAT if I feel it will help me do better or should I still be aiming for that mid-May test DAT?

Early is by the end of May, Definitely get in before August i would say. idk about submitting without the DAT

Few Questions:

Honestly as long as you have everything in by July. That is considered early. The Texas schools don't start looking at apps until July and the first interview invites don't come until late July. I'd aim on having everything completed by then. I submitted my app mid August and it wasn't processed until mid September and it wasn't a problem when it came to getting interviews. Don't rush the DAT though make sure you take it when you're ready to make the highest score you can.

Honestly as long as you have everything in by July. That is considered early. The Texas schools don't start looking at apps until July and the first interview invites don't come until late July. I'd aim on having everything completed by then. I submitted my app mid August and it wasn't processed until mid September and it wasn't a problem when it came to getting interviews. Don't rush the DAT though make sure you take it when you're ready to make the highest score you can.

Thanks for the insight! By everything do you mean DAT score as well? I figure since Im delaying it at this point might as well take all the time I have-so potentially taking it late July...do you think that would be fine?

Thanks for the insight! By everything do you mean DAT score as well? I figure since Im delaying it at this point might as well take all the time I have-so potentially taking it late July...do you think that would be fine?
Late July would be fine to take the DAT. Just submit your app beforehand so it can begin processing. That's the part that can take a while.

Has A&M sent out waitlists yet? What if you have not heard anything back at all, how long is no news good news? Does it basically mean rejection?

I hadn't taken the DAT when I applied. It takes a while to get your transcripts processed and sent, as well as finalizing your essay to where you're okay with it. You should submit everything you can as soon as you can, which is what I did. However, I didn't take my DAT until the first week of July. It's great because if that's the last thing you need to submit and everything else is checked off, email the school with your unofficial scores and they will start looking over you application. The good part about the DAT is you get a sheet with your score at the end of it, instead of waiting months like the MCAT.

TLDR: Work on your application for the rest of the semester, submit it ASAP, and take your time on the DAT.

Has A&M sent out waitlists yet? What if you have not heard anything back at all, how long is no news good news? Does it basically mean rejection?

We got a list in the mail the other day and it had us at 99 students, so honestly at this point any good news would be an anomaly

Few Questions:

Hi!
I took my DAT on july 17th, and I got my multiple interviews and was still considered early. I just made sure to submit my application, transcripts and rec letters in may/june, so the schools would only be waiting on my DAT. It took about 3 weeks from when I took my DAT for it to get processed and sent to schools! Hope that helps!

I hadn't taken the DAT when I applied. It takes a while to get your transcripts processed and sent, as well as finalizing your essay to where you're okay with it. You should submit everything you can as soon as you can, which is what I did. However, I didn't take my DAT until the first week of July. It's great because if that's the last thing you need to submit and everything else is checked off, email the school with your unofficial scores and they will start looking over you application. The good part about the DAT is you get a sheet with your score at the end of it, instead of waiting months like the MCAT.

TLDR: Work on your application for the rest of the semester, submit it ASAP, and take your time on the DAT.

Thank You! Is the TMDSAS similar/same as the AADSAS one in terms of whats asked/essay or are they different?

Just thought i'd let yall know that I was just accepted to UTSD, but will be turning it down! Hope one of yall get it!

Reactions: 7 users
Personally know 2 others accepted today. They must have lied to me

Personally know 2 others accepted today. They must have lied to me
Why do say they must have lied to you?

Btw i have till march 30th to accept or deny, so maybe they will wait till then to send a couple more acceptances out or just already have a list ready to send out if we answer early!

Btw i have till march 30th to accept or deny, so maybe they will wait till then to send a couple more acceptances out or just already have a list ready to send out if we answer early!

Did you received the offer via email or phone call?

The admissions told me the class was completely full

It's an application service used to apply to Texas medical schools and dental schools. The website has more information.
What's so big about Texas dental school? It's application for predents is separate and opens up earlier than other applications?

What's so big about Texas dental school? It's application for predents is separate and opens up earlier than other applications?
Beats me. We just do things a little differently in Texas. Yes, it opens a month earlier than AADSAS.

The admissions told me the class was completely full

Maybe they just meant they had already chosen the next round of people that they were sending acceptances to and anticipated that would be it! I'm turning mine down, so i hope you get it!

It's way way cheaper than AADSAS, which is the most beneficial part. Plus, it allows them to ask the specific types of essay questions that the 3 schools are looking for so that supplemental apps aren't as big of a deal/more money

It's way way cheaper than AADSAS, which is the most beneficial part. Plus, it allows them to ask the specific types of essay questions that the 3 schools are looking for so that supplemental apps aren't as big of a deal/more money

do you happen to know what these essays are/are their copies of the application so we can begin to prepare the app beforehand?

do you happen to know what these essays are/are their copies of the application so we can begin to prepare the app beforehand?

-explain your motivation to seek a career in dentistry. discuss your philosophy of the dental profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession (5000 words)
-Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. please describe your personal characteristic (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others (2500 words limit)
-Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not been previously presented (2500 words limit)

By the way, if you aren't a texas resident then you don't have to use the TMDSAS app but you can. Just TX residents absolutely have to use it so that they can verify your residency.