Tired of being single

D

deleted780189

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I am getting really depressed with the dating scene at my us md school in a small city. There just isn't anyone available or a good match. Furthermore, my family is very judgmental on who I marry in regards to looks and status.. They are bigshots and they are already disappointed with me for being a loner throughout high school and college (last gf was in middle school), and not finding someone last year because it makes them look bad in their social circle (I am an MS2). I've already told them I don't want them to set me up with someone because I need to do this myself, and I'm not interested in flashing money because that would attract the wrong crowd. I tried online dating but I just feel too awkward doing it at my age (22 but I look 17) and girls have way too many options there and tend to flake on me even if we match and make plans to meet. I'm above average in looks but only like 5'9 and not white (half persian) so that also makes the online stuff hard, and they don't seem to care about the med student title. Any ideas? I read here that nurses tend to go for residents but that's like 3 years away still..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I am getting really depressed with the dating scene at my us md school in a small city. There just isn't anyone available or a good match. Furthermore, my family is very judgmental on who I marry in regards to looks and status.. They are bigshots and they are already disappointed with me for being a loner throughout high school and college (last gf was in middle school), and not finding someone last year because it makes them look bad in their social circle (I am an MS2). I've already told them I don't want them to set me up with someone because I need to do this myself, and I'm not interested in flashing money because that would attract the wrong crowd. I tried online dating but I just feel too awkward doing it at my age (22 but I look 17) and girls have way too many options there and tend to flake on me even if we match and make plans to meet. I'm above average in looks but only like 5'9 and not white (half persian) so that also makes the online stuff hard, and they don't seem to care about the med student title. Any ideas? I read here that nurses tend to go for residents but that's like 3 years away still..

LOL ok so this is prolly not the right forum but here goes. Stop caring what your parents think. Go out with friends and if you see a pretty girl approach her, talk to her, get her number, meet up with her, etc. The key is being social and leaving your house. The most important part is to leave your home as you will not meet new people inside of your home. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are concerned about what your family thinks and youre not any good at dating, you could ask them

Edit just read you dont want a set up. Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
I read here that nurses tend to go for residents but that's like 3 years away still..

If you're not getting laid now, don't expect to magically start getting laid when you become a resident. In fact, the longer you don't get laid, the less likely getting laid becomes for you.

Might as well "flash cash" at this point just to get the monkey off your back, even if it attracts the "wrong crowd." You want to build some momentum, and once it's built you can discard the gold diggers and have a better chance with your target audience.

Reactions: 2 users
From reading this post I got a real "low confidence" vibe. You being 22 shouldn't make you feel all that awkward using online dating. Also you being 22 and looking like you're 17 is not really a big deal, lots of people are using online dating, but med school is kind of a hard place to get a relationship started period. If you want to look a little older, grow a beard. They're super popular among the yoots. Also, being "non-white" and half persian really shouldn't make "online stuff hard". Maybe you're on the wrong dating sites. Also, "only" 5'9" is not super short or anything, its actually right around the average american male height.

Most people that want to date in med school are dating classmates. If you aren't interested in anyone in your class then its going to be hard to get anything really going. Not impossible, but without an outside extracurricular thing, you're not really going to interact with many people.

Reactions: 7 users
Don't you have studying to do?

Also. The internet, particularly a message-board...probably not the best place to go for dating advice of any kind.

Reactions: 4 users
I second practicing on the gold diggers and once you're confident go after some classy women.

Reactions: 1 users
You're only 22, you've got a long time to find your mate. Relax, it'll happen when it happens.

Reactions: 6 users
Just find a group of people you enjoy and become friends. Cultivate those relationships and date the ones you like. If no one is "dateable" then try to find satisfaction from the friendships and wait to get out of the small town you're stuck in.

You're 22, maybe you should stop worrying about what your parents think.
Second, if you're contemplating flashing cash or waiting to prey on nurses, I'd suggest logging off, going out in public, and trying to talk to women in non-threatening social situations. You know, like people do.

Furthermore, my family is very judgmental on who I marry in regards to looks and status.
I feel you on this. Unnecessary merits imo.
I've already told them I don't want them to set me up with someone because I need to do this myself, and I'm not interested in flashing money because that would attract the wrong crowd.
What about you try to get your lady friends to introduce you to their gfs? They're not setting you up. You still have to do all the work.
I tried online dating but I just feel too awkward doing it at my age (22 but I look 17) and girls have way too many options there and tend to flake on me even if we match and make plans to meet.
Careful with online dating, there are many scams.
they don't seem to care about the med student title.
"Oh look, this guy has no time nor money. He's mine."
I read here that nurses tend to go for residents but that's like 3 years away still.
There are. I've seen it. However, I heard quite rumors about them so you may want to be careful.

Reactions: 1 user
Desperation is not attractive in any setting. Work on your self-confidence and not only will you attract the right people, but you also won't settle for less.

Last edited:
I second practicing on the gold diggers and once you're confident go after some classy women.
Where are these gold diggers that want the same medical students who scour the hospital for free food? Sign me up.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly does a broke Med student get gold diggers? What cash are you flashing? I want some.

Just increase your Tinder radius and be more generous with those right-swipes broski

Reactions: 14 users

Practice going out and becoming comfortable with talking to strangers. It's like online dating but you don't get tricked by a picture taken at a good angle or bots.

Honestly, my post is not going to fix your concern. Major things take time and a little work each day.

Try searching youtube for a channel called "alpha m." This dude is a beast. I watch for all his male fashion tips, but he also posts lots of videos about dating and building self-confidence.

Best of luck to you. There is someone out there for everyone, trust me.

In most aspects of life the harder you work, the more success you will achieve. Paradoxically in dating the harder you try, the worse you will do. Your best bet it to relax, focus on yourself, and the relationships will follow.

Reactions: 8 users
In most aspects of life the harder you work, the more success you will achieve. Paradoxically in dating the harder you try, the worse you will do. Your best bet it to relax, focus on yourself, and the relationships will follow.
As a really good friend told me once in high school: "no one likes neediness. The moment they smell desperation from you, they run."

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Since there's already been sufficient advice doled out at this point, I just had a simple question: OP, I get that your 'tired of being single', but is that all you want people thinking about when your write on SDN (username)?

I get throw away accounts but have some self confidence here man. Jeez

You're right to some extent here but like one poster above said, I'm not going to get anywhere if I just sit at home all day and play call of duty. That's pretty much what I did in MS1 apart from going to required classes and the gym. Also, I tried tinder over the past 2 weeks since its summer break and got a little over 50 matches by suicide swiping, but 90% are overweight and the other 10% stopped replying after a few messages. As for flashing cash, I don't know why I suggested doing that since I don't really even know how to flash cash; what I meant is I want someone to like me not my parent's success. And I realize I sound desperate here only because I am, but it's not like that in everyday life because I honestly don't try at all (apart from middle school gf and a few random drunk hookups in high school/college parties).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I tried tinder over the past 2 weeks since its summer break and got a little over 50 matches by suicide swiping, but 90% are overweight and the other 10% stopped replying after a few messages.
Between the nurses comment and this, may I suggest analyzing how you speak to women, or at least how you speak about them?

Furthermore, my family is very judgmental on who I marry in regards to looks and status.. They are bigshots and they are already disappointed with me for being a loner throughout high school and college (last gf was in middle school), and not finding someone last year because it makes them look bad in their social circle (I am an MS2). I've already told them I don't want them to set me up with someone because I need to do this myself, and I'm not interested in flashing money because that would attract the wrong crowd. I tried online dating but I just feel too awkward doing it at my age (22 but I look 17) and girls have way too many options there and tend to flake on me even if we match and make plans to meet. I'm above average in looks but only like 5'9 and not white (half persian) so that also makes the online stuff hard, and they don't seem to care about the med student title. Any ideas? I read here that nurses tend to go for residents but that's like 3 years away still..

You're right to some extent here but like one poster above said, I'm not going to get anywhere if I just sit at home all day and play call of duty. That's pretty much what I did in MS1 apart from going to required classes and the gym. Also, I tried tinder over the past 2 weeks since its summer break and got a little over 50 matches by suicide swiping, but 90% are overweight and the other 10% stopped replying after a few messages. As for flashing cash, I don't know why I suggested doing that since I don't really even know how to flash cash; what I meant is I want someone to like me not my parent's success. And I realize I sound desperate here only because I am, but it's not like that in everyday life because I honestly don't try at all (apart from middle school gf and a few random drunk hookups in high school/college parties).

Look, here's what's glaringly obvious: 1) you're really hard on yourself, 2) you're distrustful of others' motivations, and 3) you only mention superficial symbols of value (your parents' status, flashing money, your height, your skin colour, med student title, how overweight your matches are, etc.). I think 1-3 are all related and it ends up with "I sound desperate here only because I am."

The problem isn't meeting more women. The problem isn't you. The problem is how your parents taught you to value yourself, and by extension, other people.

Who are you as a person? This is the picture you present: you spent MS1 playing Call of Duty, studying, and going to the gym. That's it. Not appealing. And you know it, because it's not appealing to you--because it could never be appealing to your parents. That's why you're so desperate.

You think a relationship will fix that? No. It's the opposite. A (healthy) relationship emerges from being a content human being. That doesn't mean driving a nice car or owning a Rolex or being tall; it means having opinions, values, thoughts, ideas, hobbies, passions, goals, etc. that somebody else can share, enjoy, value, nurture, appreciate, and hopefully even love (and vice versa). A relationship based on anything else will return you back to where you started: lonely. And you're lonely because you're miserable with yourself, because you were never taught to value those things in you.

Put another way: you write, "I want someone to like me not for my parent's success." Then stop valuing others in terms of how your parents' outwardly value you (i.e. rooted in superficial symbols and not who you are). This is also probably why you're distrustful of others--as if anybody could really love you for reasons other than those superficial symbols?

I'm not "blaming your parents." I bet they really, truly, deeply love you. Exactly for who you are. Because you're their child. But they've made it seem like strings and conditions attach. And so you're now attaching those same strings and conditions on yourself and other people.

(Also, your parents aren't actually "disappointed with you for being a loner." This is likely a projection of your own disappointment and insecurity about their love.)

Try this: instead of Tinder, join a book club or got to a low-key concert or a charity event or an animal shelter or whatever, and just be a friendly person. Don't look for love. Just look for friends. Expand your social circle. You'll gain soft skills in communicating with people; you'll do things you enjoy; you'll have interesting things to share with others; and maybe you can even invite a date when you're ready. You'll also start to see past superficial symbols of value in others as well as yourself.

This isn't meant to be harsh. I've been where you are. I know you're hurting. I'm sorry you're hurting. Part of it has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with being 22 and having judgemental parents. Hopefully things will get better. Maybe they won't. I think the difference will be how much you end up being content with who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
And I realize I sound desperate here only because I am, but it's not like that in everyday life because I honestly don't try at all (apart from middle school gf and a few random drunk hookups in high school/college parties).

I mean, this still exudes crippling insecurities that need to be worked on... My point is that no chick is going to come fix everything, and you're never going to not be insecure. We all have things we're self-conscious about-- it's called being human. But, the main issue is that you're trying to get into a relationship for all the wrong reasons and that's never going to end successfully. So, refer to @lymphocyte's words of wisdom or remain in a state of terminal disillusionment.

Bottom line: if you're looking, you're lacking.

I doubt you're above average in looks if you haven't gotten girls to pay you mind.
Your height also isn't too short. I was with a guy that was 5 foot 8, but he was absolutely ripped. Like 10/10 ass too lol
Work on yourself. Exercise, get them gains. And don't skip leg day. I'd have to see a pic of your face to tell you what to improve there.

Of course sitting around playing Xbox all day is going to do nothing for your social life. You need to get involved in activities that help with self improvement. Go to the gym, get involved in some clubs on campus, sign up for an evening cooking class. Pick activities that you like to do but also allow you to socialize with women. Your odds of finding the perfect person on Tinder or other online dating apps are like the odds of getting struck by lightning....twice.

Bottom line: if you're looking, you're lacking.

I doubt you're above average in looks if you haven't gotten girls to pay you mind.
Your height also isn't too short. I was with a guy that was 5 foot 8, but he was absolutely ripped. Like 10/10 ass too lol
Work on yourself. Exercise, get them gains. And don't skip leg day. I'd have to see a pic of your face to tell you what to improve there.

Of course sitting around playing Xbox all day is going to do nothing for your social life. You need to get involved in activities that help with self improvement. Go to the gym, get involved in some clubs on campus, sign up for an evening cooking class. Pick activities that you like to do but also allow you to socialize with women. Your odds of finding the perfect person on Tinder or other online dating apps are like the odds of getting struck by lightning....twice.

I'm going to propose something truly radical. Therapy. Go see a good psychologist, and tell him or her that you're having trouble meeting women and it really bothers you. And then unload about your parents. Your loneliness. Your desperation. It'll be embarrassing and raw and cathartic and maybe then you'll begin to feel less miserable.

Last edited:
Between the nurses comment and this, may I suggest analyzing how you speak to women, or at least how you speak about them?

What's your thing? Are you really castigating the OP for not being attracted to fat chicks? I'm deeply offended by your presumptuousness to tell other people who they should be attracted to. Where is my safe space?

Too slow brah, I already edited my post to be even more priceless before you quoted it.

You'll find who you end up marrying when you least expect it. Sometimes marriages go sour, and if you leap, remember there is something called 'alimony for life' - NOT a club to be a member of. Be patient.

Well whatever you do, don't get scammed by one of those "dating coaches" that ask for thousands of dollars per week.

Well whatever you do, don't get scammed by one of those "dating coaches" that ask for thousands of dollars per week.

Scam? My tinder coach told me I'd find "love at first swipe".

There are self-proclaimed pick up artists and dating experts that do these "boot camp" programs where they walk with you and tell you how to talk to women. Basically they charge you like a thousand dollars a week to tell you obvious insider tips that are supposed to get you laid every day. It's been kind of a trend the past couple years and I think some of them are pretty successful since a lot of desperate guys think there's some sort of secret information that's preventing them from meeting women.

There are self-proclaimed pick up artists and dating experts that do these "boot camp" programs where they walk with you and tell you how to talk to women. Basically they charge you like a thousand dollars a week to tell you obvious insider tips that are supposed to get you laid every day. It's been kind of a trend the past couple years and I think some of them are pretty successful since a lot of desperate guys think there's some sort of secret information that's preventing them from meeting women.

:whoa:

It isn't that hard to meet people, it's just more difficult to meet people that you actually get to connect with on that level. Maintain a healthy body, practice good hygiene, have your life in order as best as possible and then go from there. In my experience, people who seem to have it together have the best results and it really boils down to making yourself a person that people want to be with.

I think they stole the idea from Hitch.. or maybe it is the reverse...:thinking:

10% stopped replying after a few messages
Everything else has been covered well, but there's something here too. Not keeping anyone's interest means your messages are probably pretty boring. Its only a few messages before you ask for a number. Be creative. Its not like talking in person, you can get away with more on tinder. Just try some different approach.

You probably aren't going to find your wife on tinder. But if you can find someone to have fun with and build confidence its helpful. Totally agree with others about joining clubs or groups.

:rolleyes:

Just find a group of people you enjoy and become friends. Cultivate those relationships and date the ones you like. If no one is "dateable" then try to find satisfaction from the friendships and wait to get out of the small town you're stuck in.

The problem with this is that if you always have the "wait till I get out of this city" mentality, you'll probably idealize residency and end up in the situation. OP, I suggest you find a way to be social however that may be.

OP you just gotta lower your standards

I don't understand. What is the difference between women who are after your money and those who are after your tittle?

A Trump rally, from what I gather.

You're goddamn right!

hqdefault.jpg

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I know key is to just let it happen and not look desperate but you have to show some interest otherwise you get no where. As for looks, I'm not posting a photo on a public message board and risk being IDed but I know I am above average; I get checked out, people in person (not my parents or relatives) have told me, and I've asked anonymously online (yes, I was feeling insecure that day) so I don't need confirmation of that. I'm also muscular and have incredible abs that from photos people actually think are fake so I don't need confirmation of my physique either. I'm pretty good at talking and have good interpersonal skills especially with patients; I wouldn't have made it this far if I were awful at those things. My problem is I just don't make any moves or hit on women unless I am obscenely drunk at a dance party, so I will work on that.

1. Learn to get out of your own head. More than lacking confidence, this whole post reads like a giant introspection of your entire life situation. The more you stay inside your head, the more the cycle perpetuates and makes you feel bad about yourself. If you like to be alone, playing instruments and working out does wonders to distract you from constant rumination.

2. Go Out. Go Out. Go Out. It's natural human behavior and it's a solid natural source of happiness. Also, in your case, you'll meet more people and that's the only way to increase your chance of finding someone. The 4-5 times I did go out this year, I met nice female classmates and others girls and got a few of their numbers. While nothing serious ever came out of it, having female friends that care about you will only make you better with women, less frustrated with them, and who knows, maybe you'll find someone through a mutual friend.

3. 5' 9" is not short. There are millions of guys with your exact plight on Reddit who range from 5'0"-5'4". At 5' 9", there's absolutely no excuse but your lack of game.

4. Don't even think about nurses. I had a good buddy who tried to pick up a nurse as a 1st year intern. He's a hell of a guy, but he subscribes to all that POA stuff you see online so naturally he came on too strong. The next week, he was called in by the director or something and was given a warning. I'm not saying it can't happen, but there are definitely risks that I think outweigh the reward. I never understood why nurses are such coveted hook ups for male doctors anyway.

Overall, you sound like a good guy, I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, and I wish you the best. If you want to talk more, feel free to inbox me :)

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the advice guys. I know key is to just let it happen and not look desperate but you have to show some interest otherwise you get no where. As for looks, I'm not posting a photo on a public message board and risk being IDed but I know I am above average; I get checked out, people in person (not my parents or relatives) have told me, and I've asked anonymously online (yes, I was feeling insecure that day) so I don't need confirmation of that. I'm also muscular and have incredible abs that from photos people actually think are fake so I don't need confirmation of my physique either. I'm pretty good at talking and have good interpersonal skills especially with patients; I wouldn't have made it this far if I were awful at those things. My problem is I just don't make any moves or hit on women unless I am obscenely drunk at a dance party, so I will work on that.

Don't try too hard, don't **** where you eat, go out more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

don't try to practice on golddiggers, that's a terrible idea

it's OK to practice on sloots tho

but NOT really drunk ones, OK? really, you can find fairly sober sloots

in fact, if you want a girlfriend the next time you're in that situation with a drunk girl, tell the girl she's gorgeous and you'd love to **** her when she's sober
if you lose her then, then she was never girlfriend material to begin with
the right girl will be simultaneously frustrated and appreciative and will seek you out later
you can also avoid a career ending lawsuit this way

and wrap it up

Reactions: 3 users