Tips for FTDs applying for AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Jules... my last day of the program is 9/4 so i don't need to attend the VTC in Oct.. 8/26 will be my last VTC!!
So envious to hear you'll be done in a few weeks! Best of luck to you and your future endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow FTDs. I would like to share some tips, most especially for those applying for AEGD:
1. Get NBDE1&2 done. Almost all programs require you pass both before applying.
2. Be fluent in english. Work on your vocabulary and grammar. Bottom line is- the program director is concerned how well you can communicate and not that you graduated top of your class. It does not matter if you have an accent. If you cannot put a proper english sentence together, you might as well take a class in HS english.
3. If you choose to apply for the advanced standing program- be sure you are financially ready. If not, you will find yourself 2 yrs from now deep in student debt.
4. Some AEGDs provide a stipend, mine was 20k for PGY1. I have no student debt.
5. Find a mentor.
6. Visit the university/program site you wish to apply for and make yourself known.

It is a challenge. Stay focused and you will get there. Best of luck to all.
Hello, thanks for that information.... I have a question... I am on H4 , so do you have any idea to which AEGD program I can apply? As I called LMC they said I am not eligible to apply there.. Thank you!

Hello, thanks for that information.... I have a question... I am on H4 , so do you have any idea to which AEGD program I can apply? As I called LMC they said I am not eligible to apply there.. Thank you!
Hello Golu. Correct me if I am wrong. H4 visas prohibit you from working but you are able to study here in the US. Find an AEGD program offered at a university. LMC cannot accept you because their program pays a stipend- essentially making you an employee of LMC, which cannot be done. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Good luck for your future.....

Hello Jules711,
I do appreciate all the information that you provided us,you are our "counselor".
I passed part I &II and I am going to take TOEFL test next month.My question is:
can I apply for AEGD/GPR before getting my TOELE score? Because I am afraid of missing the chance for applying in this cycle of PASS this year.

Your advise please and thanks.

Hello Jules711,
I do appreciate all the information that you provided us,you are our "counselor".
I passed part I &II and I am going to take TOEFL test next month.My question is:
can I apply for AEGD/GPR before getting my TOELE score? Because I am afraid of missing the chance for applying in this cycle of PASS this year.

Yes you can still apply. but make sure you send them your TOEFLE score before the program deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Jules711,

Yes you can still apply. but make sure you send them your TOEFLE score before the program deadline.
Exactly what jcdragon13 said.
Try to get over 100. Best of luck.

hello Jules, Do u have any idea about the marquette university aegd program?

hello Jules, Do u have any idea about the marquette university aegd program?
Sadly no. It's a great university so I would assume they have a really awesome AEGD program. I've met wonderful dentists who have graduated from Marquette but that is as much as I know. Best of luck.

Hi Jules, would it be a smart thing to say in an interview or on a resume that I owned my own practice for a short period of time before applying to the LMC program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jules, would it be a smart thing to say in an interview or on a resume that I owned my own practice for a short period of time before applying to the LMC program?
Absolutely. That should definitely be in a resume.

Absolutely. That should definitely be in a resume.
Ok thanks. I only ask because you have said they like people in the middle. Not too high grades, not demanding, or with an established concept of dentistry that won't change I believe. So I wasn't sure I should put that down in a resume.

Hi Jules,

Really appreciate your help to the FTD's. My wife is a FTD, and she was a housewife since 2005 due to visa issues and also to take care of the family. We recently got GC and we are considering continuing the career. She is a bit rusty, but trying hard for the NBDE Part I. We were trying to get into the Advanced standing but looks like it is very costly and also its difficult to get admission. AEGD seems to be a good option, but being out of touch for close to 10 years she is lacking in confidence and I really would like to know how difficult would it be to get admission. Any idea what would be the % of applicants who gets admitted?

Thanks In Advance

Hi Jules,

Really appreciate your help to the FTD's. My wife is a FTD, and she was a housewife since 2005 due to visa issues and also to take care of the family. We recently got GC and we are considering continuing the career. She is a bit rusty, but trying hard for the NBDE Part I. We were trying to get into the Advanced standing but looks like it is very costly and also its difficult to get admission. AEGD seems to be a good option, but being out of touch for close to 10 years she is lacking in confidence and I really would like to know how difficult would it be to get admission. Any idea what would be the % of applicants who gets admitted?

Thanks In Advance
Hello Adarsh.
I like to think applying is much like fishing. You cast your line and wait for the fish to bite. I don't know the percentages of successful application but surely Advanced standing programs are more accommodating than AEGD. Simply because there are more slots to fill. My advice is to get some work experience (ie dental assisting, preceptorship) since that can boost her resume. Don't apply with just part 1. best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi all I am on the way to apply for LMC AEGD .....does anybody can say pros and cons to apply directly without PASS/MATCH . I am more interested to apply directly to programs but from readings I am thinking that if I apply directly am I decreasing my chances to get accepted....Please advise me in this matter.....

Thanku

Hi Jules,

Could you please advice is it worth doing aegd 1yr program and later will it increase our chance as FTD's for DDS application.....later what's the scope by doing aegd for an FTD's ..please guide

Hi all I am on the way to apply for LMC AEGD .....does anybody can say pros and cons to apply directly without PASS/MATCH . I am more interested to apply directly to programs but from readings I am thinking that if I apply directly am I decreasing my chances to get accepted....Please advise me in this matter.....

Thanku
Please understand that the manner to which you apply does not affect your chances of being accepted. It is up to the program director or committee whether or not they will accept you.

Hi Jules,

Could you please advice is it worth doing aegd 1yr program and later will it increase our chance as FTD's for DDS application.....later what's the scope by doing aegd for an FTD's ..please guide

Is it worth it? Yes.
Will it increase your chances? I don't know.
Scope of application?
1. Pass NBDE1&2
2. Letters of recommendation
3. TOEFL
Apply to PASS/MATCH
or Apply directly to AEGD program.

Hi Jules 711,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information. I really appreciate your effort and your time in helping us. I am a FTD, struggling in getting an interview now. I was wondering if you can share your application stats for the current program you are in?

Hi Jules 711,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information. I really appreciate your effort and your time in helping us. I am a FTD, struggling in getting an interview now. I was wondering if you can share your application stats for the current program you are in?

Please specify what "stats" you wish to know. If you have read my thread, you can pretty much piece together my circumstances- the program I am in and how I got here.

Thanks for your reply, but sorry for the confusion. When you applied, what are the scores of your part1,2 and toefl, gpa? years of clinical experience

Thanks for your reply, but sorry for the confusion. When you applied, what are the scores of your part1,2 and toefl, gpa? years of clinical experience

Last edited:
Part1: no score, Part2: no score. TOEFL: 108. GPA: 3.2 Clinical experience: 6 yrs hygiene, 2 yrs private practice (country of origin).
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
hey,
may i ask what happens after you finish two years of AEGD? can you go into a master program ? practice? what is the next step after it ?

thank you

GUYS
WHAT IS YOUR BEST RECOMMENDATIONS TO WRITE IN THE REASON FOR APPLYING FOR THE AEGD? JUST HOW IT LOOKS LIKE? JUST NEED A CLUE

GUYS
WHAT IS YOUR BEST RECOMMENDATIONS TO WRITE IN THE REASON FOR APPLYING FOR THE AEGD? JUST HOW IT LOOKS LIKE? JUST NEED A CLUE

You have to assess what your motives are. Most people pursue a postgrad to further their education because it interests them, a few will also say- to gain a career advantage. Whatever it is that motivates you, just be honest in your answer.

Is there a link for year 2017? I need recent information..
Thank you
Hi Bernas,
It is tedious but you should check the respective dental boards you are interested in. Best of luck.