Tips for FTDs applying for AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jules711

Dentist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow FTDs. I would like to share some tips, most especially for those applying for AEGD:
1. Get NBDE1&2 done. Almost all programs require you pass both before applying.
2. Be fluent in english. Work on your vocabulary and grammar. Bottom line is- the program director is concerned how well you can communicate and not that you graduated top of your class. It does not matter if you have an accent. If you cannot put a proper english sentence together, you might as well take a class in HS english.
3. If you choose to apply for the advanced standing program- be sure you are financially ready. If not, you will find yourself 2 yrs from now deep in student debt.
4. Some AEGDs provide a stipend, mine was 20k for PGY1. I have no student debt.
5. Find a mentor.
6. Visit the university/program site you wish to apply for and make yourself known.

It is a challenge. Stay focused and you will get there. Best of luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello fellow FTDs. I would like to share some tips, most especially for those applying for AEGD:
1. Get NBDE1&2 done. Almost all programs require you pass both before applying.
2. Be fluent in english. Work on your vocabulary and grammar. Bottom line is- the program director is concerned how well you can communicate and not that you graduated top of your class. It does not matter if you have an accent. If you cannot put a proper english sentence together, you might as well take a class in HS english.
3. If you choose to apply for the advanced standing program- be sure you are financially ready. If not, you will find yourself 2 yrs from now deep in student debt.
4. Some AEGDs provide a stipend, mine was 20k for PGY1. I have no student debt.
5. Find a mentor.
6. Visit the university/program site you wish to apply for and make yourself known.

It is a challenge. Stay focused and you will get there. Best of luck to all.
Hi Jules711. Thank you for sharing your experience. Which program did you do your AEGD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Blue. Lutheran Medical Center. If you are interested- http://lmcdental.lmcmc.com
There are numerous sites you can apply to.
Thank you very much for your immediate response. I really want to apply for this program. I have part1 and 2, 6 months experience in home country. 1 year in advanced comprehensive in NYU. Do u think i have any chance for AEGD? And do u know any other AEGD program?

Most dental universities offer AEGD. Best way to find out is by applying to them. You can get more information online.

Hi Jules. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Do you think GPA plays a major role in the eyes of AEGD admissions committee compared to lets say fluency in English, US observation experience or completing some CE courses?

Hello Igores07. We have been discussing this issue all day. Just to give you an overview, there are currently 4 residents in our site and our program director is always with us in the clinics. This is the summary:
1. GPA is not that important. Our program director says he usually turns down applicants who have a high class ranking, he only entertains those in the middle. Why? They play well with others. They are not demanding or exacting and don't have unrealistic expectations. This is also due to the fact that our site is rural and he needs residents who will "fit in".
2. On the same note, having a masters might be a disadvantage, due to the same reason as #1. You will get a reply from him saying an advanced standing program will be a better fit.
3. As an FTD, being in the field working as an assistant or hygienist is a plus. Being idle for a significant period is highly questionable, it casts doubt on your desire to progress.
4. Being a recent graduate is a big advantage. The older you are, the more set you are in your ways, the less you will be receptive to constructive criticism. Most of the faculty will be 30-40 yrs old. An older resident might not take kindly to instruction.
5. CE courses and US observation- maybe a plus but I would rank it last.
6. Fluency in english- definitely a must. If you cannot put a sentence together, don't expect an interview. Lets say you sent a letter of inquiry and and it manages to catch his attention, expect a call. Be articulate.

Other directors would have different criteria. I think it all boils down to finding the right fit for both. Interviews are crucial, you learn as much about the site and at the same time the committee learns about you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hii Jules

thank you for sharing your experiences n valuable suggestions. My question is, in which states are we eligible to practice dentistry after completing AEGD PROGRAM!

Hi Jules!
Thanks for sharing. You said that experience as a DA or DH would be a plus. Do you think that working as a Dental Lab Technician also could help?
Thanks

Hi Schanner. Absolutely! I apologize I just haven't met one that went that route. Staying in the dental field is a big plus. Make sure to highlight that during an interview. Your knowledge in dental materials and techniques can be invaluable.

Hello Toronto_007. Sorry i do not understand your question about the NERB, but i will nonetheless try to answer it. Did you mean NBDE? I am planning on taking the WREB early next year. I have no plans on practicing in the northeast. LMC only requires you to pass NBDE 1&2. If you've already taken and passed the NERB, it would only mean you've already fulfilled all the requirements needed for licensure. Why would you be interested in AEGD? Feel free to correct my assumptions.
LMC requires you to be a US citizen or a permanent resident to apply for their programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
T
Hello Toronto_007. Sorry i do not understand your question about the NERB, but i will nonetheless try to answer it. Did you mean NBDE? I am planning on taking the WREB early next year. I have no plans on practicing in the northeast. LMC only requires you to pass NBDE 1&2. If you've already taken and passed the NERB, it would only mean you've already fulfilled all the requirements needed for licensure. Why would you be interested in AEGD? Feel free to correct my assumptions.
LMC requires you to be a US citizen or a permanent resident to apply for their programs.

Thanks for your reply Jules711 .. There are a few GPR / AEGD programs that expect candidates to have a valid US dental license.. Hence my question :) I meant NERB ( like WERB) , so I understand that it is not a mandatory requirement for LMc.
You answered my questions.. Thanks ! And good luck to you ...

Hi Jules, if you don't mind me asking, besides LMC programs how many AEGD programs did you apply to? I would like to know the names of the programs as well. Thanks.

Hello Igores07. I had applied only to LMC. You can get a whole list of AEGD programs on ADEA PASS. I was late in applying for sy'13/'14 (having just passed part2 in march'13) but luckily there was still an opening in one of their sites. I was very fortunate, and honestly I just did not want to wait another year.

Hello Igores07. I had applied only to LMC. You can get a whole list of AEGD programs on ADEA PASS. I was late in applying for sy'13/'14 (having just passed part2 in march'13) but luckily there was still an opening in one of their sites. I was very fortunate, and honestly I just did not want to wait another year.

Hey Jules

I've been emailing Dr. Anthony Caputo, he told me to go ahead and apply. What code did you use to apply on PASS.?

Hey Jules

I've been emailing Dr. Anthony Caputo, he told me to go ahead and apply. What code did you use to apply on PASS.?

Hello Lez. I believe he is the program director for the whole of AZ so which ever one you choose should be just fine. Send him your credentials via email if he lets you. I unfortunately did not get into this program i am in using PASS, i simply emailed the director all my requirements.

Hi Jules, how many states are you limited to work in after you finish your AEGD? And have you thought about job opportunities?

Reactions: 1 user
hello jules,
I needed some guidance regarding masters.
I am a foreign trained dentist and want to pursue masters in usa.my queries are as below.
-What are the scopes after masters for FTD
-can FTD who has done masters in usa practise in australia? I mean to ask is MS degree accepted by australian counsil?
-which residency is good for FTD-orthodontia/pedodontia/endodontia/advanced education in general dentistry/general practise residency/prosthodontia/periodontia?
-How much are chances of acceptance for FTDs?

Hello. Pursuing your masters is definitely an advantage. Unfortunately I am not versed in all US state dental requirements. Whether or not a particular state will take a masters degree in lieu of a postgrad AEGD or GPR, I do not know. Please check this link for a better overview of all state dental requirements: http://www.hcediraq.org/HCED_Official_website/PDF/dental_licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf
I know very little about Australian dental licensure. A colleague of mine went there and all they required was passing the dental licensure exam. I don't think they require you to have a masters degree.
FTDs have a limited choice in residencies. You should check the ADEA PASS website for a list of programs that will accept FTDs. Also ask yourself what your future goals are and where your dental skill sets lead you.
I cannot quantify an FTD's chances in getting accepted. My thread was meant to give you tips so you can have a good chance at getting accepted. I must say though that in the program I am in, there are equal slots of FTDs and US grads.
Best of luck.

Hello Nadent. About 15 states (maybe more) Please check this link for complete listing:
http://www.hcediraq.org/HCED_Official_website/PDF/dental_licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf
Job opportunities- I guess I'll have to cross the bridge when I get there. Haven't thought about it yet but associateship is probably where I'm headed.

Thanks, from what I understand from that list is that after a year of AEGD/GPR, you're limited to only VA and WI, after two years you can practice in IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI. So, a total of six states, could you please explain more about the rest of the states :). Also, are chances higher for citizenship holders? If I received all of my education in the U.S. Kg-high school, including a year in college before going to a foreign university, do I still have to take the TOEFL exam? Thanks :)

Thanks, from what I understand from that list is that after a year of AEGD/GPR, you're limited to only VA and WI, after two years you can practice in IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI. So, a total of six states, could you please explain more about the rest of the states :). Also, are chances higher for citizenship holders? If I received all of my education in the U.S. Kg-high school, including a year in college before going to a foreign university, do I still have to take the TOEFL exam? Thanks :)

Hi Nadent. 6 states. Great! In my opinion, one too many. Unless you would be practicing as a travelling dentist (if there is such a thing) having all those licences would be a big burden. I certainly don't even have the willpower to take multiple regional exams. But if you look into each individual state licensure requirements, you will be pleasantly surprised how many more accept FTDs. I simply had no desire to have a precise list for myself being satisfied with just FL.
But of course, the US citizens will have a better advantage. The VA, IHS and Military are but a few that lists "have to be a US citizen".
Did you get your diploma from a foreign university? If yes, then you are required to take the TOEFL.
Best of luck.

Hi Nadent. 6 states. Great! In my opinion, one too many. Unless you would be practicing as a travelling dentist (if there is such a thing) having all those licences would be a big burden. I certainly don't even have the willpower to take multiple regional exams. But if you look into each individual state licensure requirements, you will be pleasantly surprised how many more accept FTDs. I simply had no desire to have a precise list for myself being satisfied with just FL.
But of course, the US citizens will have a better advantage. The VA, IHS and Military are but a few that lists "have to be a US citizen".
Did you get your diploma from a foreign university? If yes, then you are required to take the TOEFL.
Best of luck.
Thanks for all the info Jules :). Does FL take one year or two year residency?

Dear Jules, I also would like to ask a question. Do they really care where our degree is from? For example, do they differentiate between a British degree and a Latvian degree? Or everywhere outside North America is foreign to them?

The reason I'm asking is that I, just like many others used to think that they value degrees obtained from other well-reputed countries more than other ones, but in the mean time, I have heard from some people that it is actually the opposite since they prefer people who look up to them academically and clinically and are willing to learn their way (US system) than someone from lets say UK or Belgium who is probably very confident about his education and practice experience and is less likely to do everything he is told by the instructors of the program.

Since you previously said, they prefer people with GPA in the mid-range, I thought the case with the country where the degree is obtained from is somewhat similar to the GPA thing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dear Jules, I also would like to ask a question. Do they really care where our degree is from? For example, do they differentiate between a British degree and a Latvian degree? Or everywhere outside North America is foreign to them?

The reason I'm asking is that I, just like many others used to think that they value degrees obtained from other well-reputed countries more than other ones, but in the mean time, I have heard from some people that it is actually the opposite since they prefer people who look up to them academically and clinically and are willing to learn their way (US system) than someone from lets say UK or Belgium who is probably very confident about his education and practice experience and is less likely to do everything he is told by the instructors of the program.

Since you previously said, they prefer people with GPA in the mid-range, I thought the case with the country where the degree is obtained from is somewhat similar to the GPA thing.

Thanks in advance.

Hello again Igores07. There has been no mention about preferences regarding where FTDs get their degree from our director. What would be of some importance that could be related to your country of origin is your proficiency in english.
If you are implying a correlation between being receptive to criticism and one's country of origin, without being too forthright (for this is my own opinion) i certainly believe some cultures might instill respect and discipline more so than other cultures.
This is purely speculation, please do not take my word for it. I believe each director or committee responsible for accepting residents have different criteria. You have to present yourself as honestly as possible and do not get clouded by over thinking.

Hello again Igores07. There has been no mention about preferences regarding where FTDs get their degree from our director. What would be of some importance that could be related to your country of origin is your proficiency in english.
If you are implying a correlation between being receptive to criticism and one's country of origin, without being too forthright (for this is my own opinion) i certainly believe some cultures might instill respect and discipline more so than other cultures.
This is purely speculation, please do not take my word for it. I believe each director or committee responsible for accepting residents have different criteria. You have to present yourself as honestly as possible and do not get clouded by over thinking.
Hello, thanks for your information, I have one question, AEGD programs showing 12 months course can we do for more 12 months if we want, I mean in total for 2 years.Or they only will be of 12 months?

Hello, thanks for your information, I have one question, AEGD programs showing 12 months course can we do for more 12 months if we want, I mean in total for 2 years.Or they only will be of 12 months?
Hello Golu. I only know what LMC offers, so you will have to do a bit more research on this. Most LMC sites are 24 mos., unless it is a new site. I know there was one site that started off as a 12 month AEGD but is now 24 mos. If you end up in one of those, LMC can help and relocate you to another site for PGY-2. Talk to the program director and verify before you start. Best of luck.

Tha
Hello Golu. I only know what LMC offers, so you will have to do a bit more research on this. Most LMC sites are 24 mos., unless it is a new site. I know there was one site that started off as a 12 month AEGD but is now 24 mos. If you end up in one of those, LMC can help and relocate you to another site for PGY-2. Talk to the program director and verify before you start. Best of luck.
Thank you for your reply. I visited the site, but it does not mention the tuition. How much is on an average tuition?

thanks for the reply jules
one more question is can we apply for dds/dmd after completion of aegd/gpr/masters ? I am asking because what if we decide to practice afterwards in a state which needs dds/dmd as a must for licensure
No, the only way you can get a US DDS/DMD is if you do an ISP/Advanced standing program. Please check the state you want to move to and verify that they will accept a postgrad.

Reactions: 1 users
Tha

Thank you for your reply. I visited the site, but it does not mention the tuition. How much is on an average tuition?
No tuition. Stipend: PGY-1 $20,000 PGY-2 $22,500.

Hi Jules , thanks for sharing your story.

I have two questions regarding AEGD :

1- I'm foreign trained dentist and i'm wondering if we can apply for residency ( orthodontic ) after we completed AEGD ?
2- you mentioned that being a US citizen is an advantage , can you please elaborate what advantages we have regarding this topic ?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Jules , thanks for sharing your story.

I have two questions regarding AEGD :

1- I'm foreign trained dentist and i'm wondering if we can apply for residency ( orthodontic ) after we completed AEGD ?
2- you mentioned that being a US citizen is an advantage , can you please elaborate what advantages we have regarding this topic ?

thanks in advance.
Hello Malikgrouz. You can apply for orthodontics even without the AEGD. I've read TX will grant you a license if you have done a specialization and that includes ortho. Of course you can do AEGD before pursuing ortho, I see nothing wrong with that.
There are more employment opportunities for US citizens. You will notice IHS, VA and the military, to name a few, only take US citizens.
Best of luck.

jules, can I apply for aegd/residency this time for term starting in july,2015.I havent cleared toefl/nbde1/nbde2 yet.but i heard we can update it later on in application.is it possible?
And if yes then what is good to do.apply this year without much searching on everything or apply next year with enough information on everything?

You can try. I doubt you'll get accepted and I don't see any benefit to it. Match/pass is a yearly cycle and they will not store any of your credentials/records. Best of luck.

Hi, jules711,

What country did u get ur BDS licence and which year?
I have 4 year gap to apply for AEGD.

Jules, VAs don't take FTDs..we have to be from an accredited dental school.

Jules, VAs don't take FTDs..we have to be from an accredited dental school.

If referring to US Veterans Affairs:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/374533400

(b)Foreign Dental School Graduates.In addition to meeting the requirements in subparagraph (1) above, graduates of foreign schools of dentistry must have successfully completed parts I and II of the examinations given by the National Board of Dental Examiners before the start of the first residency year.

If referring to Virginia: i may not have applied yet myself but a colleague who is also an FTD has his license in VA and already a practicing dentist.

If your information resource is correct, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

(b)Foreign Dental School Graduates.In addition to meeting the requirements in subparagraph (1) above, graduates of foreign schools of dentistry must have successfully completed parts I and II of the examinations given by the National Board of Dental Examiners before the start of the first residency year.

If referring to Virginia: i may not have applied yet myself but a colleague who is also an FTD has his license in VA and already a practicing dentist.

I was referring to Veteran Affairs AEGD programs, when I was searching them on the PASS search engine, they required u.s. accredited dental schools.

Hi Jules711, I am a LMC AEGD PG-2 resident too in Massachusetts. My PGY-1 is GPR at St. Mary's hospital. If I have one year GPR and 1 year AEGD I am still able to get license and practice in those States? I am thinking WA if I am eligible.
what is your plan now? which State are you plan to go? do you take any prep course for boards?
Thank you.

Hi Jcdragon13! Glad to hear from a fellow LMC resident. I am not quite sure how you will get your license with a GPR/AEGD. You can look into VA or WI since those states only require a 1 yr postgrad. You might want to call the WA dental boards and verify. A colleague of mine is currently completing his PGY-2 in WA and will be eligible to practice right after. My plan is to take the WREB in march and see how that goes. Maybe VA. No prep course. Hoping I can wing it.

Last edited:
Hi Jcdragon13! Glad to hear from a fellow LMC resident. I am not quite sure how you will get your license with a GPR/AEGD. You can look into VA or WI since those states only require a 1 yr postgrad. You might want to call the WA dental boards and verify. A colleague of mine is currently completing his PGY-2 in WA and will be eligible to practice right after. My plan is to take the WREB in march and see how that goes. Maybe VA. No prep course. Hoping I can wing it.

Thank you Jules. So I guess you mean WA won't consider GPR PGY-1 and AEGD PGY-2 as 2 years of post doctoral training program?
I have tried to ask the WA dental board through email but they didn't reply me back. I guess Ill try to call them.
I'm going to prep WREB as well. Do you have any recommendation on the study material? thank you!

Thank you Jules. So I guess you mean WA won't consider GPR PGY-1 and AEGD PGY-2 as 2 years of post doctoral training program?
I have tried to ask the WA dental board through email but they didn't reply me back. I guess Ill try to call them.
I'm going to prep WREB as well. Do you have any recommendation on the study material? thank you!
Can't say for sure with WA, sorry. Download the WREB manual and read it as many times as you can. All the rotating students we get say you have to read it several times. Whenever I have a class II prep, I pretend that I'm taking the test. Save your extacted teeth and practice on them. Thats pretty much all I've got. Best of luck. Hope I could catch you on the LMC site one day. Can you believe LMC has that mandatory VTC lecture for Oct? Can't believe they're making us attend it on a weekend!

HI jules,I got two more questions,how to prepare for interview for AEGD?do some AEGD programs require practical examinations as a part of admission process?
Be yourself. Its just like any interview. Best part is- no bench test for LMC AEGD. Other programs, i don't know.

Can't say for sure with WA, sorry. Download the WREB manual and read it as many times as you can. All the rotating students we get say you have to read it several times. Whenever I have a class II prep, I pretend that I'm taking the test. Save your extacted teeth and practice on them. Thats pretty much all I've got. Best of luck. Hope I could catch you on the LMC site one day. Can you believe LMC has that mandatory VTC lecture for Oct? Can't believe they're making us attend it on a weekend!
Thanks Jules... my last day of the program is 9/4 so i don't need to attend the VTC in Oct.. 8/26 will be my last VTC!!