Time Between BOLC and Reporting to First Duty Station

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSU12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any info on the time between finishing BOLC and reporting to your first duty station. Is this decided for you or do you have any say in it. The reason I ask is because my fiancee and I are trying to plan a wedding for 2018 and were wondering if there would be any time between BOLC and reporting. Could I request to report at a later date so we would have time for the wedding. If not what are the chances of taking leave for a wedding soon after reporting. Don't want to plan something for August only to find out it won't work. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know where you are going? Contact that location's commander and talk to them about taking some leave - it shouldn't be a problem. You can also talk to the BOLC leadership and see if you can take leave approved from their end (and have "negative" leave when you start working at your first duty station, because you will not have had enough time to build up significant leave).

You are not going to have "dead time" between the end of BOLC and your first duty station, you are expected to get your rear to your first duty station (and will be given a few travel days, depending on how far away that duty station is).

Whatever you do, don't go AWOL !

(Cut and paste from "Ask an Army Dentist" where it was also asked.
-------------------------------------------
OSU12345 said:
Posted this in the general military dentistry thread but I figured I'd post it here as well. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the time between finishing BOLC and reporting to your first duty station. Is this decided for you or do you have any say in it. The reason I ask is because my fiancee and I are trying to plan a wedding for 2018 and were wondering if there would be any time between BOLC and reporting. Could I request to report at a later date so we would have time for the wedding. If not what are the chances of taking leave for a wedding soon after reporting. Don't want to plan something for August only to find out it won't work. Any insight would be much appreciated.

When you are given your orders in the February/March time frame of you senior year it will have a report date of when you have to show up to your first duty station. This will typically be soon after BOLC. Unfortunately once you come on active duty to do BOLC, you can only take leave if you have earned it - you can take unpaid time off like in the civilian world. Coming out of the summer training you will only have accrued about 5 days of leave and other than the amount of time required to be given to move (varies by how far you are going) - you are not likely going to find much time to do it between the 2. Your best bet is to either plan it for before BOLC or for the early fall once you are in place. Before BOLC you are not restricted on the amount of time you take for your honeymoon, after BOLC you will be limited by the leave you have accrued up to that point.

Reactions: 1 user