Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahayes2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I would like to get everyones thoughts on my GPA, DAT, and EC's combination. I will also tell you some of the areas that worry me.

GPA: 3.93
-Pretty high but the worry point for me is that my first year of college I wasn't sure what I wanted to be as i went from pre-pharmacy to pre med to nursing till finally finding the dream in pre dental. Since I wasn't sure I just took 12 and 13 hour semesters. Then I took a 12 hour semester with 3 labs. Then a 17 hour semester with a withdraw(Concepts of Calculus). To 14 hours, and finally a 17 hour semester with straight A's. The good news is other then that W i went from 12 hours with a B in genchem 1 to never making another B thanks to my newfound dental motivation. So the lack of 15+ semesters worry me.

In summary my hours went 12-13-12-17(with W)-14-17

DAT: PAT-21, QR-18, BIO-19, GC-20, OC-24, RC-21, TS-20, AA-20
-Just took recently and think I did rather well, wish I could of got a few more BIO questions right for a 20, it also would of brought my AA up to a 21.

EC's(This is going to get football heavy at the end which kind of worrys me)
-Member of the Assembly of God, Chemical-Medicine Club, ACS club, strength train 5-6 days a week, and intramural sports.
-Jobs: Lifeguard(In high school, should this be left of? Kind of medically related?), Registered Pharmacy Technician, Car Detailer, and security system installation. (Possibly going to start a job as a paid assistant football coach)
-Shadowing: 25 hours of a general dentist, 4-5 hours of orthodontist, and 4-5 hours of a oral surgeon.(This is a worry spot, one of the admission people at Memphis told me that we just needed enough shadowing hours to get a taste of the career so I didn't stress too much over it till i recently read stuff on here about 100+ hours)
-Volunteer/Leadership- I have like 70+ volunteer hours as an assistant football coach/ JV coach. Also volunteered to help at a youth football camp last summer. I feel bad that these hours are not medically related but it is what I enjoy. And I am not for sure to count these as volunteer hours or leadership examples, or can I do both?
Also was a captain for our first ever alumni football team.

One other question I would like to get everyones opinions of, the manual dexterity part of the application. I am really not sure what to list here. I tried to take up ship in a bottle building, but It did not work out. I would hate to list football here because i wasn't a collegiate athlete and it is not really "fine-tuned" i guess?. I also thought about listing "spatting" or taping ankles as it but I kind of haven't done it but a few times after high school, but will do it a lot more this fall if I get the assistant football coach job.

I know this is a long post and I really appreciate everyone who replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Yo stop stressing. You almost have a 4.0...

Just shadow some more general dentist work and you'll be good as gold!

One other question I would like to get everyones opinions of, the manual dexterity part of the application. I am really not sure what to list here. I tried to take up ship in a bottle building, but It did not work out. I would hate to list football here because i wasn't a collegiate athlete and it is not really "fine-tuned" i guess?. I also thought about listing "spatting" or taping ankles as it but I kind of haven't done it but a few times after high school, but will do it a lot more this fall if I get the assistant football coach job.
Whatever you do, don't leave it blank. As long as you have something logical you'll be fine. I wouldn't list taping ankles.

I'd get more shadowing in if you can ASAP. The general rule of thumb is 100.

Members don't see this ad :)
@tombradyschin thanks man! It is really nice to hear that, but you know how it is. You never have that guarantee, and you always want more lol. The general dentist I shadow and who is writing me a letter of rec just got a new office so it is hard to shadow him at the moment, and I was trying to get as many with him since he is my letter, but I have had offers from other dentist so maybe i will head out of town for some shadowing before I apply.

Like I said in your DAT thread you are looking fine, but you need to try and up those shadowing hours.

Leave nothing blank on your app and make sure when interview time comes you know everything you put there. Because if they mention an award you got but you yourself have forgot you put In your app, you will get toasted.

@JLT223 thanks man!

@Likkriue thanks again!

The common theme here is more shadowing hours. I would like to apply as soon as possible would you guys push back sending in my application till i up my shadowing hours some?

I would shadow for a few weeks from now
Until the first day in late June you can apply. Find a dentist who can accommodate you for a little and you should be able to get 100 hours before then cycle opens

You had me going there until the "ship in a bottle building"

9/10 effort