Thoughts on Online med Ed premium resources for Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougardiver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the online Med Ed videos are great.

Anyone have an opinion about how useful the New online Med Ed audio downloads and notes are in prepping for step 2?

https://onlinemeded.org/share/Zda

Members don't see this ad.

It works out to about 280 pages of notes, though they're about one column width / page (so in reality, I guess about 140 pages in ms word worth of content). Probably a little less than that. I've used the audio extensively while driving, so am familiar with the content. The notes sync up very closely to the videos (at least for peds). I'm leaning toward using the notes + UW for step 2, but am kind of hesitant being a guinea pig. Can't really comment more than that. The video content itself is a great framework on which to learn more detail, though it is fairly barebone in and of itself

I'm probably going to shell out $70 and just download the notes and audio. I need to listen to something while driving anyway, so might as well be this. The videos + notes + UWorld seem like great prep for step 2. I'm not very confident in MTB and FA for CK anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
wanted to bump on this...They have a deal for the year @ $365. anyone find the notes + audio + flashcards + Qbank worth it? (I'm obviously going to prioritize UW over this Qbank).

I seriously wish I had used his videos early on in my CK prep. A friend of mine told me about it two weeks or so ago? And I tried it. LOVED it. I seriously wish I had the time to spend reading his notes thoroughly. Unfortunately, Uworld took precidence. If I were to redo it, I would have used everything Online Med Ed throughout the year and then Uworld during Board prep + Secrets.

Reactions: 1 user
I used the audio over the course of 3rd and 4th year. Paid for a month subscription and downloaded all the notes. Annotated about 3/4 of the notes from the videos, and used the annotated notes + UW to study for CK. Did well. Only briefly looked at the other premium content like the questions. They seemed decent, but I'm not sure they'd be worth sacrificing your limited time (it'd more or less have to eat into reading on your patients time or UW time, and I don't think either is worth it)

wanted to bump on this...They have a deal for the year @ $365. anyone find the notes + audio + flashcards + Qbank worth it? (I'm obviously going to prioritize UW over this Qbank).

Their qbank is absolutely abysmal. There seems to be a lot of incorrect information which contradicts what UW and other sources say.

There's a question about osteomyelitis which indicated the bug causing it is SAureus and is asking for the treatment. It doesn't tell you it's sensitive/resistance.

Chose to go with Vancomycin and the answer was to go with a cephalosporin plus nafcillin.

Edit: their notes are great and evidently their revamping the video content so that's good.

is there any way to save the videos and watch them offline?! I usually use subway, so there is no internet connection...

is there any way to save the videos and watch them offline?! I usually use subway, so there is no internet connection...
Yes, if you have either a subscription or a program that gives you the ability to download youtube videos

Members don't see this ad :)
No sorry I use android (don't know of app on android either, I tried to find one). There are desktop programs if you google it

I used an add on app from Google Chrome, but I can't remember what it was called!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am sorry for this question , I m new to Med Ed
But Are the videos only available online?(something like Pathoma for step one? Or you just download it and watch whenever you want?
And I heard the videos are for free from someone which I don't think so , on their website it costs 70+$

FYI the OME Flashcard app is available for iOS. Also, has anyone used the Quick Tables book? Wondering if its a good template to add Uworld notes into.

FYI the OME Flashcard app is available for iOS. Also, has anyone used the Quick Tables book? Wondering if its a good template to add Uworld notes into.

1471572981730-1020475303.jpg

Yessss.. That book is gold if you've already done his notes and want to quickly review or fallow along his videos . I'm doing one more quick pass of all his Vids @ 1.75 speed using it and it's really convenient .

Reactions: 1 users
I found it, video speed controller, thank you.

Good stuff , it might take a lecture or 2 to adjust to the speed .. but i honestly think he speaks to slow at normal speed to start with and found 1.7X to be just perfect . Good luck

After having taken the CK on August 1st, I can say that OME was completely useless.

In for response. Does anybody know how to download all the audio at once instead of having to individually click each of the videos and download?

I bought a year long subscription and did all of OME Qbank along with videos. I am a huge fan of OME and have no regrets. PM for any specific questions.

Everything that guy says is GOLD ... His questions actually add to the content and he has his way of twisting things that will get you to approach questions more carefully . He recently Updated his PEds section which is a plus for those who are still in 3rd year or early CK prep . Especially now since i've taken CK .

Everything that guy says is GOLD ... His questions actually add to the content and he has his way of twisting things that will get you to approach questions more carefully . He recently Updated his PEds section which is a plus for those who are still in 3rd year or early CK prep . Especially now since i've taken CK .

Hey I am so curious on how OME prepared you for CK. I am using it right now with the quicktables book first pass. I wanted to know if it was worth it since you have already taken CK.

The videos aren't without mistakes but he makes things simple and it would be a good place to start

Last edited:
Anyone here used OME for CK and lived to tell about it? is OME and UW enough? how much did it help?

Anyone here used OME for CK and lived to tell about it? is OME and UW enough? how much did it help?

That's what I used. Made ~270. I think doing well 3rd year is more important than choice of prep materials. But OME + UW is certainly serviceable at worst, can't make comparisons to any other resources because I didn't use them

That's what I used. Made ~270. I think doing well 3rd year is more important than choice of prep materials. But OME + UW is certainly serviceable at worst, can't make comparisons to any other resources because I didn't use them

But your WheezyBabyyy ..

Did anyone else who thought OME was useless for step 2CK care to explain their thoughts?

I used onlinemeded mostly during 3rd year rotations. Helped with shelf, pimp questions, conceptual ideas, etc. However, I honestly think it's not as good as Uworld for Step 2. Not that it's not good, just that Uworld is better. Uworld questions made you think, and the explanations corrected any errors in your though process. Dustyn straight up gives you his thought process; you don't get to apply it, use it to solve problems, etc. However, I did not pay for his notes, flash cards, etc, so I don't know if they make his stuff more useful or not, but I doubt it. Additionally, I feel he does not cover stuff in enough details. There is a reason his audios can be listened twice within a week, but it takes more that a month to thoroughly do Uworld. One of my friend did listen to OME at 2x speed to quickly review everything right before the test. He said it helped him organize all the info. He did all right, close to 240. While I don't recommend OME for step 2. Dustyn Williams is still the man, MVP of my MS3 rotations!

I used onlinemeded mostly during 3rd year rotations. Helped with shelf, pimp questions, conceptual ideas, etc. However, I honestly think it's not as good as Uworld for Step 2. Not that it's not good, just that Uworld is better. Uworld questions made you think, and the explanations corrected any errors in your though process. Dustyn straight up gives you his thought process; you don't get to apply it, use it to solve problems, etc. However, I did not pay for his notes, flash cards, etc, so I don't know if they make his stuff more useful or not, but I doubt it. Additionally, I feel he does not cover stuff in enough details. There is a reason his audios can be listened twice within a week, but it takes more that a month to thoroughly do Uworld. One of my friend did listen to OME at 2x speed to quickly review everything right before the test. He said it helped him organize all the info. He did all right, close to 240. While I don't recommend OME for step 2. Dustyn Williams is still the man, MVP of my MS3 rotations!
You're absolutely right. It's nowhere close to UWorld. There's no replacement for doing UWorld and thinking through the questions and explanations. However, it can be valuable for rotations especially in the first week or two for getting you basic information in an organized manner.

Wait, did you think it was useless?

No I loved it for IM shelf even though I didn't "rock the shelf" per se. I think I am still trying to find the right combo of sources for step 2 before the dedicated period. I refuse to believe Uworld is the only thing needed if the goal is a 260.

No I loved it for IM shelf even though I didn't "rock the shelf" per se. I think I am still trying to find the right combo of sources for step 2 before the dedicated period. I refuse to believe Uworld is the only thing needed if the goal is a 260.

Oh okay! I thought you mentioned liking it, so when I misinterpreted your post above I was surprised to read that you didn't like it.

My goal isn't as lofty as a 260, but I don't believe that, either.

Did anyone else who thought OME was useless for step 2CK care to explain their thoughts?

I watched all of his videos in my rotations and thought they were great. I would no way watch them during a 3-5wk dedicated period unless if you need a break from UWorld and you are able to retain all the information in his videos. Some of the information are not consistent with how UWorld or step 2 would present and work up a disease.

OME + UW will get you where you need to go, but those upper limits are going to be FA/MTB +/- SUTM most likely

Eh, I got ~270 with just the two during dedicated. Obviously used more than that throughout third and fourth year, but I'm assuming that's not what you mean

You must have a good memory for recalling things you read during the year. But wait second, you took step 2 after 4th year?

I read a lot on rotations, don't think my memory is anything really special as far as the medicine population goes. I took step 2 after block 3 of my 4th year

So you remember what to read during rotations for the boards months later. Give yourself some credit! That or I'm awful for memory as far as the medicine population goes.