Thoughts on Nursing before Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuccessD97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there are any MD's that came from nursing, I have a scenario. I'll graduate with my BS in Cardiovascular Technology soon, which gives me all the pre reqs for medical school. I planned on taking post-bacc classes to simply raise my GPA, and to strengthen my application. I have shadowing experience, extracurriculars, etc. It is my plan to take the MCAT soon. I am well informed of the pre med reqs and what med schools are typically looking for in students. I ultimately want to be a surgeon. For financial reasons and because and it's an interesting field of work, I believe that nursing would help me along the way. Has anyone else been in this predicament? I've always been infactuated with pediatric and trauma nurses . I'm very goal-oriented, so I don't mind that extra work. Currently, I have all the pre-reqs for ADN, so I would just need to take the upper level classes. im just trying to think ahead in the future. Some good advice would help out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If there are any MD's that came from nursing, I have a scenario. I'll graduate with my BS in Cardiovascular Technology soon, which gives me all the pre reqs for medical school. I planned on taking post-bacc classes to simply raise my GPA, and to strengthen my application. I have shadowing experience, extracurriculars, etc. It is my plan to take the MCAT soon. I am well informed of the pre med reqs and what med schools are typically looking for in students. I ultimately want to be a surgeon. For financial reasons and because and it's an interesting field of work, I believe that nursing would help me along the way. Has anyone else been in this predicament? I've always been infactuated with pediatric and trauma nurses . I'm very goal-oriented, so I don't mind that extra work. Currently, I have all the pre-reqs for ADN, so I would just need to take the upper level classes. im just trying to think ahead in the future. Some good advice would help out. If you haven't gone through the nursing route, your opinion isn't really valid, but feel free to speak.

jes seyin' u don't sound very kool w/ this post, boo.

but if u want 2 b a doctor y r u beeing a nurse?

If you haven't gone through the nursing route, your opinion isn't really valid, but feel free to speak lololololololololol

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to be a doctor don't become a nurse first.

There are people in my class who were nurses before going to medical school, but they also did not decide on medicine until they entered the nursing field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is looked down upon. Don't do post bac to up GPA. Take it because you think you might learn something. Make it meaningful. Search SDN on this issue.

So why the major in Cardiovascular Technology? Why not nursing in undergrad? IMO if you keep going from career to career you'll have hard time explaining why medicine. Oh and try a search- lots of threads on RN-MD.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do Nursing to try to "strengthen" your application if the goal is really to apply to med school. Only do Nursing if you truly want to DO nursing and are not yet decided on med schools or other plans. Otherwise you're just waiting time and money.

People who do nursing before MD typically actually want to be nurses at first, and then decide they want to be doctors after working as a nurse. They don't start nursing school with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to MD. To me, that seems disingenuous, and you are also taking a seat from someone who actually wants a career in nursing. Nursing school seats are limited, unlike other majors, and nurses are very much needed in the healthcare field.

Reactions: 3 users
People who do nursing before MD typically actually want to be nurses at first, and then decide they want to be doctors after working as a nurse. They don't start nursing school with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to MD. To me, that seems disingenuous, and you are also taking a seat from someone who actually wants a career in nursing. Nursing school seats are limited, unlike other majors, and nurses are very much needed in the healthcare field.
This.

Since I'm studying for the Step right now, let me introduce you to the 4 principles of medical ethics: autonomy, justice, beneficence, and non-maleficence.
Medical Ethics 101

With regards to justice,
"The health care provider must consider four main areas when evaluating justice: fair distribution of scarce resources, competing needs, rights and obligations, and potential conflicts with established legislation. "

Nurses are a scare resource in healthcare, and one less nurse in the field means many patients won't be treated. It would be misappropriation of the scarce resource of nursing training.

Reactions: 1 user
Does a BS in Cardiovascular technology include prereqs like Ochem/Physics/Biochem? It doesn't sound like a hard science major

It is actually... my local program only accepts 15 applicants out of 100 or so. It's very competitive and can be quite hard.
Does a BS in Cardiovascular technology include prereqs like Ochem/Physics/Biochem? It doesn't sound like a hard science major

I wouldn't do nursing if you want to go for MD. A lot of ill-advised people might recommend. I was a sophomore in HS, and my friends grandmother recommended nursing before medical school, I thought she was nuts. My friends uncle is a nurse who kept telling me he was going to apply to DO schools. He never did. I think he might be slightly jealous of me, but oh well. I also thought he was very misinformed and bananas.