Thoughts on class exam scores vs board prep scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a little unsure how I should be thinking about class exam scores vs board prep material scores. In terms of material that I've been using for board prep such as Robbins Review, Qbanks, etc - I feel like I'm doing alright for it being the beginning of the academic year. I've been averaging ~80%+ on Robbins and usually around 85% for USMLE-Rx's Qmax on subject exams. Yet when it comes to class exams, I've been sitting at about 85% as well. I know I'm probably going to get a little bit of smack for being salty about a B average on exams, but I feel like I should be doing better on my in class exams than I am. I can't decide if this means I should start spending more time on our lectures or if I should continue with what I'm doing. Input?

Members don't see this ad.

pre-clinical grades above 70% are like points on Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Reactions: 1 users
Your percent right on class exams really means nothing, but how you score relative to your peers is meaningful information. By far the best way to board study is to learn it when covered in class as you are never going to have that much time again to devote to each system, plus it says something about how well you test in general. At least thats the way it seemed to work out among many of my peers

Members don't see this ad :)
Your percent right on class exams really means nothing, but how you score relative to your peers is meaningful information. By far the best way to board study is to learn it when covered in class as you are never going to have that much time again to devote to each system, plus it says something about how well you test in general. At least thats the way it seemed to work out among many of my peers

It's hard to say unfortunately at my school where I stand in comparison to my peers. We don't have a class rank that's available to us and the only thing to base it off of overall was our end of year cumulative exam - which isn't taken very seriously by the student body because there's only 2 days between it and our last class exam. By that exam, I'm in the top 10% of the class, but my GPA is hardly anything to write home about. I don't think we actually have another school wide assessment or ranking based thing until COMSAE in May.

I would suspect GPA correlates to how well you learn things which in turn will help you have a foundation to build on for board prep. But does GPA mean anything? I do not think so. I studied COMLEX for about 6 weeks and still scored well. I was in the bottom half of my class.