This whole process is difficult enough let alone ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a rising 2nd year interested in GI. Then entire application process is quite daunting seeing how competitive the field is but my biggest thing is that I passed the CS component on second attempt. Anyway, I heard from some people that there is usually screening for board scores but what about attempt in CS? Am I automatically out or they take a look at the whole app then decide? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Program dependent, some probably will screen you out.

What's done is done, why spend time worry about things you can't change.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Program dependent, some probably will screen you out.

What's done is done, why spend time worry about things you can't change.
The only guarantee here is that you will absolutely not match if you don't apply.

Thanks for your replies. I guess it is too late to worry about things like this. When it comes time to apply I will apply as broadly as possible but do you think it is worth it to email anonymously and ask? Or just shut up and hope for the best? Thx.

Thanks for your replies. I guess it is too late to worry about things like this. When it comes time to apply I will apply as broadly as possible but do you think it is worth it to email anonymously and ask? Or just shut up and hope for the best? Thx.

Do NOT do that. Step away from the keyboard.

Apply broadly and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user

Although I agree with IM2GI and ShiShiMD to not anonymously email program directors/faculty at places you apply, I think you should talk to people you know at programs you are planning on applying to. I would suggest discussing with LOR writers about personally reaching out to someone they may know at a program you have applied to or you reaching out to friends who are fellows at other programs as well.

I say this because you will most likely be screened out and even if you have good step scores, research and LOR's, they probably won't even see it.

Although I agree with IM2GI and ShiShiMD to not anonymously email program directors/faculty at places you apply, I think you should talk to people you know at programs you are planning on applying to. I would suggest discussing with LOR writers about personally reaching out to someone they may know at a program you have applied to or you reaching out to friends who are fellows at other programs as well.

I say this because you will most likely be screened out and even if you have good step scores, research and LOR's, they probably won't even see it.

Have you actually heard this from someone or just guessing? I did ask a couple of people but nobody seems to know for sure since the number of people failing CS is pretty low to begin with. That is my biggest worry that they automatically toss my app out. If they take time to look at my app I think I have a chance, albeit small. I have a chance to work with some well known GI attendings locally and when the time comes if I impress them enough I would ask them to call but obviously they can't call every single program and there is limit to what calling can help. Thanks for your response.

Have you actually heard this from someone or just guessing? I did ask a couple of people but nobody seems to know for sure since the number of people failing CS is pretty low to begin with. That is my biggest worry that they automatically toss my app out. If they take time to look at my app I think I have a chance, albeit small. I have a chance to work with some well known GI attendings locally and when the time comes if I impress them enough I would ask them to call but obviously they can't call every single program and there is limit to what calling can help. Thanks for your response.
check the NRMP fellowship statistics. there is a chart where it shows X% of programs who screen based on failed X step

check the NRMP fellowship statistics. there is a chart where it shows X% of programs who screen based on failed X step

I just looked at all of them. The charting outcome report in 2011 there is a chart saying 93% uses step 2CS to interview and to rank. You mean this one? Or is there another chart that I missed? In the Results and Data for the match there is no chart mentioning step. In the director survey it says that about 70-60% program takes into consideration of second attempt. Thx

I just looked at all of them. The charting outcome report in 2011 there is a chart saying 93% uses step 2CS to interview and to rank. You mean this one? Or is there another chart that I missed? In the Results and Data for the match there is no chart mentioning step. In the director survey it says that about 70-60% program takes into consideration of second attempt. Thx
Hmm, it looks the 2016 fellowship survey for GI only included the question "would you consider applicants who fail on their first attempt?" for step 1 and step 2, not CS. Youre right, 93% (n=41) said they require it and 63% (n=43) cite passing step 2 CS as factor in determining interview selection (but doesn't mention multiple attempts; 4.3/5 importance rating). 72% used any failed USMLE attempt as a factor as well (4.6/5 importance rating). I understand your worry about automatically being filtered out since its easy to screen based on failure, so if you don't hear back from programs when interviews are coming out, only option is to just contact programs you are interested and hopefully they will take a look.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-PD-Survey-Report-SMS.pdf

Hmm, it looks the 2016 fellowship survey for GI only included the question "would you consider applicants who fail on their first attempt?" for step 1 and step 2, not CS. Youre right, 93% (n=41) said they require it and 63% (n=43) cite passing step 2 CS as factor in determining interview selection (but doesn't mention multiple attempts; 4.3/5 importance rating). 72% used any failed USMLE attempt as a factor as well (4.6/5 importance rating). I understand your worry about automatically being filtered out since its easy to screen based on failure, so if you don't hear back from programs when interviews are coming out, only option is to just contact programs you are interested and hopefully they will take a look.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-PD-Survey-Report-SMS.pdf
One of my close friends with step 3 attempt matched. But he was asked about his step 3 failure in IVs. And he did get far less IVs than he should have got, likely coz his application was filtered.