1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

This is a lie...

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Dr. Dangerfield, Jun 7, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    "The average salary of all optometrists is approximately $141,557."

This is posted on the FAQ page of a prominent optometry school.

Apparently they don't think we're smart enough to use the internet and research it...

I'm thinking they meant to put: "The average salary of all optometrists, in the top 5-10%, is approximately $141,557."

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Snakedoctor1

Snakedoctor1 2+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Is the following bullet point about baby boomers retiring?

4. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    Maybe?

I just think it's a bald face lie at worst, or extremely misleading at best. Considering the Bureau of Labor Statistics has the following info:

Median Salary: $106,000; Mean Salary: $117,580.

So, at best, they need to subtract about $24,000 from that figure. If anything, the median is probably more accurate anyway.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  5. Snakedoctor1

Snakedoctor1 2+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I agree, I made that post in jest, assuming that if they are inflating the average salary, they are probably preaching a great need for new ODs as well.

6. E_wen

E_wen 2+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Which school was that? Salaries fluctuate a lot, and depend on a lot of factors. In general, people I know make 20-30% more than the estimated salaries online.

7. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    Southern College of Optometry. I realize there are a lot of factors, particularly location, but those numbers I mentioned above are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov). My point is, any way you slice it, $141,557 is wrong. According to the BLS the mean OD income for Maryland, which is ranked THIRD highest in OD mean income, is $141,870. I just don't see any scenario where the remaining 47 states OD mean incomes come out to $141,557. It's utterly misleading to any potential students to post that on their site.

"You'll be 220k in debt, but you'll make $141k a year!" No, try $117k a year, if you fall into a "good" job.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  8. Ryan_eyeball

Ryan_eyeball Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Kansas
    Last year I made about $120k after 11 years out of school. My third year out of school i made around 225k but working 7 days a week. It would be hard to go back to working that much and wouldn't want to either. I'm so glad we're down to just my student loan and then we are completely debt free. Hopefully 1-2 years left to go depending how well the next year goes. It would be hard for me to go back into Optometry school again if I knew the going debt rate was 220-270k. Insurance payments have hardly budged in the past 11 years and most have cut rates. Vision insurances have rarely budged in higher payments.

9. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    This sounds VERY familiar. I'm with you, couldn't imagine coming out with 2x as much debt as I had when I graduated in the present climate.