Thinking about residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chriskahn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
P3 here thinking about residency. I go to a decently ranked university that uses the pass/fail grading system with honors available in certain courses. I only have 1 honors in public health and emergency prep

I have been a student ambassador for 2 years (did interviews and orientation for new students)
Did a couple of volunteer immunization events (not part of IPPE)
I have 4 years pharmacy assistant experience, 3 months interning experience (had a baby so had to stop)
Did a couple of local drug take back events
No research or publications
Took obstetrics, diabetes management, ID, and Native American healthcare electives

Do I have a chance at all? I checked out the stats thread and it seems like almost everyone that matched has research experience or publications.

A few more questions

Since I have a kid, how much time does a residency usually require? If its more than 40hr/week I don't think I can do that for an entire year. I don't want to neglect my child.

How did people in residencies go about paying back their loans? Did you just make minimum payments the first year?

And finally, how beneficial was the residency? If you work in a hospital that requires a residency, how competitive was the hiring process?

Is it all worth it or am I wasting my time? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

P3 here thinking about residency. I go to a decently ranked university that uses the pass/fail grading system with honors available in certain courses. I only have 1 honors in public health and emergency prep

I have been a student ambassador for 2 years (did interviews and orientation for new students)
I have 4 years pharmacy assistant experience, 3 months interning experience (had a baby so had to stop)
Took obstetrics, diabetes management, ID, and Native American healthcare electives

Do I have a chance at all? I checked out the stats thread and it seems like almost everyone that matched has research experience or publications.

A few more questions

Since I have a kid, how much time does a residency usually require? If its more than 40hr/week I don't think I can do that for an entire year. I don't want to neglect my child.

How did people in residencies go about paying back their loans? Did you just make minimum payments the first year?

And finally, how beneficial was the residency? If you work in a hospital that requires a residency, how competitive was the hiring process?

A residency is going to be definitely more than 40 hours a week. It is going to take up most of your time and I say this as someone who is currently undertaking the Match process.

I have heard that you are able to defer loan payments during your residencies but the common thread that most current and past residents have told me is that they did make payments while doing residency at least to cover the cost of interest accrued.

A residency is going to be definitely more than 40 hours a week. It is going to take up most of your time and I say this as someone who is currently undertaking the Match process.

I have heard that you are able to defer loan payments during your residencies but the common thread that most current and past residents have told me is that they did make payments while doing residency at least to cover the cost of interest accrued.

More than 40 hours at the location or as in you have to do some work at home?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it's a combination of both. One site I talked to said its residents work 60 hours a week. ASHP rules say a resident cannot work more than 80 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user

A few more questions

For required hours, it depends on the program. I know some people who were at big academic institutions and mostly worked 10-12 hours/day, staffed every other weekend, and sometimes had rotations that were 6 days/week. Other people who were at smaller/private hospitals got to leave by 5pm most of the time. However, I would guess that all residents have at least some days where they need to stay later or work at home for projects, especially when research presentation time rolls around.

My loans went into repayment in December, I believe. Most residents were on IBR.

A few more questions

From my experience - (Currently entered in 2017 Match)

1) Having research definitely helps. I would suggest taking every opportunities to ask for projects (especially something to do with data collection and analysis) during your APPE rotations. Every new rotation, ask your preceptor what projects they are working on and depending on the setting, whether there is anything you can help out with. The rest of your stats are okay. Work experience looks good (don't tell them you had a baby so you stopped), volunteer is great. Also consider your grades, leadership experience, preceptor/teaching experience. Any school organization involvement??

2) If you want a clinical residency, I would expect more than 40 hours a week. If you are looking community, managed care, you might find it more likely to get 40 hours a week required on site. I think it's very likely you will take home work no matter the program. Also ask programs about staffing hours, weekend staffing, night staffing, etc. Every program is different. I've interviewed at programs that are 9-5 M-F and that's it. Other programs require one day a week night shift. Some require every other week weekends. Some require off site/out of state rotation travel.

3) Not in a residency so I can't speak here. I do know residents that take an option to pay back a "percentage" of their earnings for that year. I think that is something you can manually request once you start paying back.

4) Again, not in a residency, but speaking with residents and asking program directors/preceptors where their previous residents are might be useful for you. From my experience, the answer to this is all over the place. Some programs have very high retention rates of residents. Others haven't retained a resident in a long time because they just don't have open spots. Still others have bad luck in that they have been Matched with a lot of out of state candidates that move back to their home state when they are done even if a position was open.

A few more questions

I am only applying at this point, but I wouldn't get discouraged about publications and research experience. I have minimal research experience (essentially nothing) and no publications. Work experience, research experience, and publications help, but they aren't absolutely necessary. I got interviews at 30% of the places I applied to which isn't amazing, but it's fine. If I don't get in anywhere it will be because of my lack of ability to interview well, not because of my CV. I think the stats posting thing is a bit biased because it favors people posting who are particularly proud of their past accomplishments. In terms of paying back loans, I'm hoping to start while in residency; however, you can get your loans deferred a year for residency training if they are federal loans.

A few more questions

It's definitely more than 40 hours--and then there's staffing in addition to that. Some places do comp days others don't. Most places have you work weekends (every other to every third or if you're lucky less than that) +/- a night shift.

It's definitely worth it if what you want to do requires a residency. But if youre going for it just because you don't know what else to do then it doesn't sound like a great plan for you personally based off what you described (ie not wanting to work >40 hrs/wk).

There's a loan option that's income based...mine is ~$250/month and I'm at a residency that has a salary on the higher end of the spectrum.

Your description of your experience sounds good, sure publications and research would help and you still have time to get involved if you wanted to. One thing to consider is how good your references will be and the appeal of your rotations. Also, are there a lot of residencies in your area and how competitive is it?--all things to think about when you make this big decision! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response everyone. The only thing turning me off at this point is the >40 hours a week. I will still apply to a few local residencies and if I get an interview then I can find out more about the hours. If not then its no big deal.

I wanted to work for a hospital and most of the hospitals in my area require a residency but there are a few rural hospitals that isn't too far that does not require a residency so I still have options

Last edited:

If I knew this is how an applicant felt, I wouldn't even rank the applicant. FYI.

Reactions: 2 users
If I knew this is how an applicant felt, I wouldn't even rank the applicant. FYI.
40 hours a week might be a bit of a stretch, but are there programs out there that would offer a better work-life balance for a working single parent? I have the luxury of wanting to spend more time at a residency site since I don't have a lot of competing priorities; however, I have to think that there are some options for people with responsibilities outside of pharmacy.

To be fair to the poster, I don't think they were asking to be ranked by programs that don't fit their needs as a parent. I think they were asking how realistic any residency is for a single parent with their priorities. Based on the poster's priorities, I don't think they would have ranked you either :)

So I've talked to many residents from multiple residency programs in my area and they all say that the hours are crazy (80-100 hour weeks). Staffing every other weekend means working 12 days in a row sometimes. That's not even counting time spent at home working on side projects. As much as I want to, I definitely wont be able to put in that many hours and be away from home that much as a parent.

I'm kind of bummed out because I've been putting in a lot of work beefing up my CV for a chance at matching, thinking that I could balance home life and residency life. I even have a couple of publications now from some of my rotations and so far have honors in 2 of them.

I think the best option for me at this point is to just grind it out in retail for a few years, work on my loans, and try for a hospital job in the future.

So I've talked to many residents from multiple residency programs in my area and they all say that the hours are crazy (80-100 hour weeks). Staffing every other weekend means working 12 days in a row sometimes. That's not even counting time spent at home working on side projects. As much as I want to, I definitely wont be able to put in that many hours and be away from home that much as a parent.

I'm kind of bummed out because I've been putting in a lot of work beefing up my CV for a chance at matching, thinking that I could balance home life and residency life. I even have a couple of publications now from some of my rotations and so far have honors in 2 of them.

I think the best option for me at this point is to just grind it out in retail for a few years, work on my loans, and try for a hospital job in the future.

You can also consider pursuing a career in the corporate side of pharmacy and do either a fellowship or a managed care residency. I work in managed care and stay connected with several friends with various Industry/PBM/Health Plan settings. We definitely don't have that kind of workload. PM me for more info although do realize that in any post graduate program there is still a lot of work to do. As a resident/fellow you are also the lowest of the totem pole, so expect to be handling all the work associated with being at the bottom.