Thinking about med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beng

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some mental guidance here, I've wanted to be a doctor for some time now, did some work in hospitals, don't mind watching surgery on tv, blood, intestines, nothing really groses me out. BUT I seem to have an unusual ..phobia of anything that involves pain... not to others (I can cut someone open np) but to myself, for instance whenver I think of medical school I seem to think about getting shots ... (which in reality don't hurt at all) but for some dumb reason my mind makes a huge deal out if it, my wrists start to hurt, and then I seem to start thinking about a needle going into my arm...blah blah the picture is there.. did anyone else have any sort of problems like this before going applying or even going into medical school, I don't mind giving shots to other people but I seem to have a childhood trauma phobia of pain. What do I do...

Members don't see this ad.

beng said:
I need some mental guidance here, I've wanted to be a doctor for some time now, did some work in hospitals, don't mind watching surgery on tv, blood, intestines, nothing really groses me out. BUT I seem to have an unusual ..phobia of anything that involves pain... not to others (I can cut someone open np) but to myself, for instance whenver I think of medical school I seem to think about getting shots ... (which in reality don't hurt at all) but for some dumb reason my mind makes a huge deal out if it, my wrists start to hurt, and then I seem to start thinking about a needle going into my arm...blah blah the picture is there.. did anyone else have any sort of problems like this before going applying or even going into medical school, I don't mind giving shots to other people but I seem to have a childhood trauma phobia of pain. What do I do...

you know i have the same feeling whenever im behind a surgeon!! i think the problem is that we imagine that we are the patient and that the needles are in us...i guess it's normal, but it shouldnt be a big problem. By the time you graduate from medical school you'll get over your chills because of acquired maturity. JUST A THOUGHT!

Not at all uncommon... most people have something that they have trouble with (my eyes still water uncontrollably when people talk about post-nasal drips). The good news is that in med school desensitization therapy for these things comes included. Specific to needles, it takes people about two injections to come to the realization that giving them actually doesn't hurt you at all.